Our schools are next

MajorStyles

Pelican
Catholic
Thanks for your insight. Got any actual advice?

I am homeschooling my daughter at the moment (my wife pitches in, of course). It has gone very smooth. We supplement this with piano lessons at the local music store. So far, it’s been a smash success and I am hesitant to ever let her into a “normal” school.

So I would recommend something similar to others.

Pendleton

Pelican
I am homeschooling my daughter at the moment (my wife pitches in, of course). It has gone very smooth. We supplement this with piano lessons at the local music store. So far, it’s been a smash success and I am hesitant to ever let her into a “normal” school.

So I would recommend something similar to others.
Even in small red towns in ultra red states, the education system is fully controlled by leftist radicals. Unless someone lives in an area with an exceptional private school, I don't think there is generally an alternative to homeschooling. Even if normal people took over the school board, they would sort of be like Trump taking over the Executive Branch - only nominally in charge. All the teachers would be committed left wingers who would defy them at every opportunity.

Dr. Howard

Banned
Gold Member
I'm on year 3 of homeschooling. Once you get a good routine down and feel for it you can introduce good 'elective' topics. I've got my kids taking bible studies and computer hardware courses as 'non core' subjects right now.

The Civil War was not about slavery. The Confederate soldiers weren't fighting to keep their slaves, they were fighting for freedom. Changing names and banning Confederate flags is not combatting racism. It's combatting a perceived racism that isn't even there.

Correct. I only realized this after living in the south for a number of years. Civil war history, from the ancestors of people that lived it is really interesting. Imagine you could sit down with Nazi war veterans and ask them what happened in certain battles...

Thanks for your insight. Got any actual advice?

Sure. I've run for schoolboard trustee unsuccessfully and been a thorn in local gov't before. My advice is:

1. pull your kid out of public school or they will face retribution for your actions
2. get involved at the local government/trustee level, get them on budgets/spending not policy
3. infiltrate your school's current PTA, audit their corrupt financials, expose those to other parents
4. Join your state's homeschool lobbying association. They know how to deal with public schools.
5. "narc" on your local school to the schoolboard administration as much as possible. You want "superintendent chalmers" to be breathing down their necks.

You must first sow mistrust before you take on policy. People understand embezzlement and misuse of funds. Once the powers that be are discredited then you can hit them with the fact they are just indocrinating your kids on behalf of Joe Biden and are just there for the paycheck and "woke" points.

Second, the employees of your school are not afraid of you, but they crap their pants when they get undue attention from those above them. For teachers that is the principal or anyone higher, for principals that is the superindentent of schools or anyone higher.

Become an advocate for 'school choice vouchers' programs like Ted Cruz talks about. Esssentially, you should be able to use your allotment of dollars that you pay in taxes to go to public school, private school or be issued to you as a tax credit if you home school.

Others, if you are looking for biblical home schooling resources, go ahead and google, search and join homeschooling groups and resources in the southeastern states. Those folks mostly use bible based cirriculum. We use stuff from alpha omega publications, the quality of the web stuff is pretty 1995 but is bible based

paninaro

Pelican
I wanted to give a quick update on this.

I've never fought a school or school board or done anything like this before, so criticize my mistakes all you want.

I thought about my goal and the path to achieving the goal. For now, the goal is really simple: Let other parents know this is happening in the school.

I started with school's vice-principal who instantly referred me to the principal. After a heated back and forth, the principal told me that she would ensure that the school newsletter that goes out to parents announced that this book list assignment occurred. That was 2 months ago.

Nothing ever happened. I followed up and cc:d a school board member. I was told by the principal that I was the only parent who complained to the principal (which may be technically true, but there were complaints to teachers and to the school via other methods).

My response was simple: It was *your* idea to publish this information in the newsletter. You had this idea when I was the only parent to complain to you. It seems like you told me what I wanted to hear so I would go away.

I then pressed on a simple yes or no on whether the information would be published and there's been no response. I escalated to school board member who has now sent me information of 2 people and 1 department within the school board to complain to.

I am getting the runaround. You're me. You've spoken to parents whose kids have graduated who told you that they regret not fighting the schools harder with this crap. What advice would you give me?

Not a bad first approach. It helps to understand the motivations of who you are dealing with. The Vice Principal just pushed it up to the Principal. Not a surprise. They're not going to take a stand.

The Principal tries to act like they're not guilty and not incompetent. Not a surprise. When was the last time a principal was fired? They're chummy with the people in central office most likely. They're secure.

If you get a bunch of parents together and approach the prinicipal, they will pay attention. If you go through the PTA, they may listen depending on the PTA's clout. The PTA at some schools provides a lot of funding for the principal's pet projects. Are you a PTA board member? That can help, especially if you get the other PTA board members on your side. It's usually bored housewives so just charm and brainwash them basically.

Next step as you did is school board. One thing is to testify at meetings, but don't come off as a crackpot. At my school board's meeting, every time there is this same crazy railing against wifi in classrooms and how kids' brains are going to turn to jelly from the radio waves. Whether they will or not, no one cares currently -- they care about if/when their kid can go back to in-person schooling (corona closures). Be very calm, reasonable, and offer a clear alternative (other books to put on the list?) and why. It may get school board members contacting the principal, and they may react just to get them off their back. Also contact your school board members directly -- some are better than others at listening and responding. Sending a few $$ to their election fund can always help too.

Also learn where not to go. In my county, the school functions independent of county government, so complaining to the county council member or state senator is useless -- it's not in their domain. It may vary where you are -- look into that too.

Good luck -- it's an uphill slog in a massive bureaucracy.

Mr Gibbs

Woodpecker
Catholic
I've not forgotten about your reply.

It's difficult to find time to create prose on this topic, although there is much to say. I suggest getting a book on homeschooling (Borders book, stand there and read it). Within the first 15 pages you'll be hooked.

e.g.
"When my daughter returned home at age 7 stating that her life was her own business ... I knew to take her out of school and homeschool her ..."

"My daughter and son told of having to listen to their lesbian chemistry teacher talk about her 3rd lover ... of a string of many lovers ... "

Anyhow, there is much freedom but you are doing your own work. At the end of each sememster you have to show the County official some 60-70 "worksheets" completed per subject and 3-5 exams taken per class per Kid.

It's great when you can simply get up and travel for a week, if needed - leisure/pleasure or emergency.

Edit: The field trips are more epic.
What’s the name of the book? I’m trying to find it but nothings coming up for Borders stand there and read it or anything

Mr Gibbs

Woodpecker
Catholic
A good book about public schools I highly highly recommend is “Dumbing us Down” by John Taylor Gatto

“Is there an idea more radical in the history of the human race than turning your children over to total strangers whom you know nothing about, and having those strangers work on your child's mind, out of your sight, for a period of twelve years? Could there be a more radical idea than that? Back in Colonial days in America, if you proposed that kind of idea, they'd burn you at the stake, you mad person! It's a mad idea!”

“Slowly I began to realize that the bells and the confinement, the crazy sequences, the age-segregation, the lack of privacy, the constant surveillance, and all the rest of the national curriculum of schooling were designed exactly as if someone had set out to prevent children from learning how to think and act, to coax them into addiction and dependent behavior.“

“You either learn your way towards writing your own script in life, or you unwittingly become an actor in someone else's script.”

“Children learn what they live. Put kids in a class and they will live out their lives in an invisible cage, isolated from their chance at community; interrupt kids with bells and horns all the time and they will learn that nothing is important or worth finishing; ridicule them and they will retreat from human association; shame them and they will find a hundred ways to get even. The habits taught in large-scale organizations are deadly.”

“ Do we really need school? I don't mean education, just forced schooling: six classes a day, five days a week, nine months a year, for twelve years. Is this deadly routine really necessary? And if so, for what? Don't hide behind reading, writing, and arithmetic as a rationale, because 2 million happy homeschoolers have surely put that banal justification to rest.”

“ Government schooling made people dumber, not brighter; made families weaker; ruined formal religion with its hard-sell exclusion of God; set the class structure in stone by dividing children into classes and setting them against one another; and has been midwife to an alarming concentration of wealth and power in the hands of a fraction of the national community.”

Last edited:
I'm on year 3 of homeschooling. Once you get a good routine down and feel for it you can introduce good 'elective' topics. I've got my kids taking bible studies and computer hardware courses as 'non core' subjects right now.

Correct. I only realized this after living in the south for a number of years. Civil war history, from the ancestors of people that lived it is really interesting. Imagine you could sit down with Nazi war veterans and ask them what happened in certain battles...

Sure. I've run for schoolboard trustee unsuccessfully and been a thorn in local gov't before. My advice is:

1. pull your kid out of public school or they will face retribution for your actions
2. get involved at the local government/trustee level, get them on budgets/spending not policy
3. infiltrate your school's current PTA, audit their corrupt financials, expose those to other parents
4. Join your state's homeschool lobbying association. They know how to deal with public schools.
5. "narc" on your local school to the schoolboard administration as much as possible. You want "superintendent chalmers" to be breathing down their necks.

You must first sow mistrust before you take on policy. People understand embezzlement and misuse of funds. Once the powers that be are discredited then you can hit them with the fact they are just indocrinating your kids on behalf of Joe Biden and are just there for the paycheck and "woke" points.

Second, the employees of your school are not afraid of you, but they crap their pants when they get undue attention from those above them. For teachers that is the principal or anyone higher, for principals that is the superindentent of schools or anyone higher.

Become an advocate for 'school choice vouchers' programs like Ted Cruz talks about. Esssentially, you should be able to use your allotment of dollars that you pay in taxes to go to public school, private school or be issued to you as a tax credit if you home school.

Others, if you are looking for biblical home schooling resources, go ahead and google, search and join homeschooling groups and resources in the southeastern states. Those folks mostly use bible based cirriculum. We use stuff from alpha omega publications, the quality of the web stuff is pretty 1995 but is bible based
Can you do a datasheet or even a brief write up on home schooling?

How much time per day is involved? (I can only guess how much time a day is wasted at an overpopulated school to slower kids)

How much prep time for lessons per week?

How do you keep up socialization skills/experience?

Mike_Key

Woodpecker
What’s the name of the book? I’m trying to find it but nothings coming up for Borders stand there and read it or anything
The first anecdote, true story, came from something generic like the following:

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/homeschooling-linda-dobson/1111345885?ean=9780761520283

or

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/homeschooling-cafi-cohen/1111595652?ean=9780761520931

I can't recall ...

The second anecdote, true story, comes from the kid of a very close friend. This kid, the girl, is now an adult with a cocaine felony charge on her record (no husband, no kids, her boyfriends beat her, empty egg cartons if she doesn't straighten out her life).

And as I mentioned somewhere in one of the threads or replies, she has some crazy fake MeToo stories. The content of her life and those MeToo stories are real, very real ... just fake the way she tells them. I don't believe her for a second. Others do believe her. She's a con-artist looking for sympathy. She's basically turning into a very dysfunctional adult ... unless things change soon she'll have a very rough life into her 40s and 50s with mental illness and drug use.

Dr. Howard

Banned
Gold Member

How much time per day is involved? (I can only guess how much time a day is wasted at an overpopulated school to slower kids)

I can just answer questions. I wouldn't say I run an expert or model home schooling program.

I work from home and my wife is a stay at home mom so that factors into it. Prep time and grading takes me 1-2 hours once per week. I do the prep and grading and my wife does the hands on lessons for the cirruculum, those are probably...1-2 per week? The rest is computer based.

On a regular schoolday the kids probably start at 8 and are done by noon with the real school work.

Socialization requires work. We are lucky that we live in a neighborhood with a good catholic family with similar aged kids across the street. When we lived in the south there were so many homeschoolers that on fridays, a local church turned their large church into a "school" for homeschool kids and all of the kids and parents came together and did something like a regular school day. Networking with other homeschoolers is your best bet.

jarlo

Woodpecker
Orthodox

Illinois Board Of Education Gets Blowback For Rule Forcing Teachers To Adopt ‘Progressive’ Views

The Illinois State Board of Education is proposing a rule that would force teachers to promise they would “embrace and promote” “progressive” views starting in October 2021.

The rule published in the Illinois Register on Sept. 11, titled “Culturally Responsive Teaching and Leading Standards for all Illinois Educators,” requires that educators “embrace and encourage progressive viewpoints and perspectives that leverage asset thinking toward traditionally marginalized populations” (p. 14577-14584):

Culturally responsive teachers and leaders are reflective and gain a deeper understanding of themselves and how they impact others … The culturally responsive teacher and leader will: Understand and value the notion that multiple lived experiences exist, that there is not one “correct” way of doing or understanding something, and that what is seen as “correct” is most often based on our lived experiences … Recognize how their identity (race/ethnicity, national emotional ability, socioeconomic class, religion, etc.) affects their perspectives and beliefs about pedagogy and students. …

Critically think about the institutions in which they find themselves, working to reform these institutions whenever and wherever necessary. … Assess how their biases and perceptions affect their teaching practice and how they access tools to mitigate their own behavior (racism, sexism, homophobia, unearned privilege, Eurocentrism) … Know and understand how a system of inequity creates rules regarding student punishment that negatively impacts students of color.
“If the state BoE approves the standards on December 16, they move on to the Illinois General Assembly’s Joint Committee on Administrative Rules,” The College Fix noted. “If given the green light there, not only will they become part of educators’ evaluations, but also programs at (state) university schools of education.”

Ralph Rivera and Molly Malone Rumley from the group Pro-Family Alliance responded to the Board’s proposal in a letter, asserting, “These elements of the proposed rule require teachers to enunciate a government-sourced ‘progressive’ and activist viewpoint in their educational work with students. As a consequence, certain narratives will be required, and counter-narratives excluded and proscribed. This is a form of compelled speech and viewpoint discrimination which is likely to be found unconstitutional.”
@Cobra - might be especially relevant to you

Mike_Key

Woodpecker

Homeschooling thread

Post #65

I recently completed this as there had been questions. At some point I can review it and fill-in the gaps.

https://www.rooshvforum.com/threads/homeschooling.37637/page-4#post-1397427

Last edited:

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Catholic
Gold Member
Absolutely shocking tidbit regarding the state of schools in Baltimore:

Several years ago, Project Baltimore began an investigation of Baltimore's school system. What they found was an utter disgrace. In 19 of Baltimore's 39 high schools, out of 3,804 students, only 14 of them, or less than 1%, were proficient in math. In 13 of Baltimore's high schools, not a single student scored proficient in math. In five Baltimore City high schools, not a single student scored proficient in math or reading. Despite these academic deficiencies, about 70% of the students graduate and are conferred a high school diploma — a fraudulent high school diploma.

Unbelievable and disgusting. It's like a slice of rural Congo inserted into the middle of USA.

Pendleton

Pelican
Absolutely shocking tidbit regarding the state of schools in Baltimore:

Unbelievable and disgusting. It's like a slice of rural Congo inserted into the middle of USA.
If you really want to be disgusted, check how much they spend per student in Baltimore. They aren't throwing around that kind of money in the Congo.

grenade001

Woodpecker
Catholic
Getting police out of schools I think is actually a good move. To many school yard incidents get blown out of proportion because the administration doesn’t want to be the bad guys and calls the campus officer instead.

Why are police in schools in the first place? It seems like one of those "Only in the U.S." things.

I remember the only time seeing police at a school, was after an irate parent punched the principal in the face. It was so significant it was in the newspaper and the evening news. Hardly a common event I'd imagine.

kel

Banned
They're only in certain schools, though a rising number of them. You can imagine why. When I was a kid there were certainly no police in my school, the very thought would've been ridiculous.