Overcoming OCD and depression

i don't trust psychologists and psychiatrists anymore. I don't hate them but finding a really good one is very hard. Most of the ones i've went to were useless. Medication didn't do much for me either. I struggle with OCD since i was a kid and depression since i entered my teens. I'm currently reading to Bible to find some solace. Me, like a lot of young men, feel discouraged by the state of the world nowadays, have been through unemployment and hopelessness. Sometimes i wish all that clown world bullshit ends by a great genocide or war.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
How old are you? What is your participation in Church or religious background? Do you live in a rural area? Big city ect...Do you take any medicine for these things? Diagnosed by a Dr or just self described?

Lastly....

Do you want advice or are you just venting?

I'm venting. Diagnosed both conditions. Not taking any medicine. Living in a HUGE city and hating it. My parish consist on mostly old people. 32 years old.
i work out daily and have a balanced diet. No soy stuff. You're free to suggest or comment something if you will.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
I'm venting. Diagnosed both conditions. Not taking any medicine. Living in a HUGE city and hating it. My parish consist on mostly old people. 32 years old.
i work out daily and have a balanced diet. No soy stuff. You're free to suggest or comment something if you will.
So sounds like you have your diet and health in check ... Good.

I am sure some might diagnosed me with being neurotic or ocd or some. Malarkey... But I just view my own idiosyncratic ways as the way the Lord intended me to be and try and channel my gifts into productivity for my family and hopefully in someway I am able to give glory to God.

It's not unnatural to go through periods of depression at times. I've been through it when my life circumstances were not so good post deployment, divorce, then getting out of the military. Occasionally i still have bad days here and there.

I have found meeting with my priest to be the best remedy and to take the spiritual guidance he has given me and try and ground myself in that.

I am 31, turning 32 in a couple months so I can sympathize with the bleak outlook many of us young men deal with.

It would be my hope for you that you would find a Chruch that is in your big city with an active youth group and participate in that.

Have you tried this?

Knight.of.Logos

Woodpecker
Orthodox Catechumen
If I were you, I'd look for a spiritual father to get the spiritual bases covered and find someone who is an expert in alternative medicine, whether a doctor of functional medicine or Chinese herbs/ acupuncture, etc. It's pretty amazing what some lifestyle changes can do, but you must also not lose sight of the spiritual work and find somebody more experienced to help guide you.

Johnnyvee

Ostrich

-Did your OCD start in early puberty? (from the age of say 10-12) Or did it gradually get worse from that age at least?

-Depression is nothing but a universal condition that will afflict anyone that has a hard enough life. There`s not really much of a genetic component to it. You see depression in supermax prison inmates for example, that have no prior history of depression at all. You also see it in many animals, and for similar reasons. It will clear up if your life get`s better.

-OCD! I know all about that beast, as I`ve had it since I was a teen. I had tendencies as a kid, but it got worse as I got older. There is a biological reason for that, but it`s very complex. It`s for the same reason that most autoimmune disease starts from puberty on. We are "carried on" to that age so that we can reproduce basically, but nature gives up on bit by bit after that age, so that leaves us vulnerable to various pathologies. Since we have different ancestors, we will also have different genetic phenotypes. So these two facts of biological life causes the onset of many diseases gradually from the first age of reproduction in a population.

-There are many things you can do about OCD, none of which a psychiatrist will understand. (might be some very rare exceptions) Do your own research, but I would say that the following are important elements;

-Paleo type diet
-Being in ketosis (high fat paleo, ketone supplements, fasting etc.)
-If possible eliminating stimulants (caffeine mainly)
-Intermittent fasting, fasting mimicking diet say 2-4 times a year (FMD)
-NAD+ precursors, (NMN/NR) and sirtuin enzyme boosters like Resveratrol
-Moderate sun exposure
-Regular exercise
-Sleep and circadian rhythm

-Did your OCD start in early puberty? (from the age of say 10-12) Or did it gradually get worse from that age at least?

-Depression is nothing but a universal condition that will afflict anyone that has a hard enough life. There`s not really much of a genetic component to it. You see depression in supermax prison inmates for example, that have no prior history of depression at all. You also see it in many animals, and for similar reasons. It will clear up if your life get`s better.

-OCD! I know all about that beast, as I`ve had it since I was a teen. I had tendencies as a kid, but it got worse as I got older. There is a biological reason for that, but it`s very complex. It`s for the same reason that most autoimmune disease starts from puberty on. We are "carried on" to that age so that we can reproduce basically, but nature gives up on bit by bit after that age, so that leaves us vulnerable to various pathologies. Since we have different ancestors, we will also have different genetic phenotypes. So these two facts of biological life causes the onset of many diseases gradually from the first age of reproduction in a population.

-There are many things you can do about OCD, none of which a psychiatrist will understand. (might be some very rare exceptions) Do your own research, but I would say that the following are important elements;

-Paleo type diet
-Being in ketosis (high fat paleo, ketone supplements, fasting etc.)
-If possible eliminating stimulants (caffeine mainly)
-Intermittent fasting, fasting mimicking diet say 2-4 times a year (FMD)
-NAD+ precursors, (NMN/NR) and sirtuin enzyme boosters like Resveratrol
-Moderate sun exposure
-Regular exercise
-Sleep and circadian rhythm
Great advice. I'm currently on a low carb diet, need to lose around 20 pounds. I avoid any kind of drugs, legal or illegal. Also try to have quality sleep. I had OCD tendencies when i was i kid but fully exploded in those early puberty years along with depresssion.

OP how do you spend your days? Do you work etc?
I work for the government. My bad, I know I should quit. Globohomo agenda is becoming more and more endorsed by the state here, specially in my area. I'm a teacher. Some of my coworkers are degenerate gay/bisexual soy boys and crazy femitards. Some cool normal people too, but not many. More women than men. When the lockdowns arrived, I worked from home and i was kinda of okay with that until it was unbereable for me and my mental health started to take the toll. I'm kind of a hermit, I can socialize but i'm not too fond of people in general. Now there's no more lockdown i'm trying to go out more and keep my mind occupied with more productive stuff.

Lukashenko

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
I've suffered from severe OCD since I was 20 years old.

I guess I've always had tendencies looking back but I had an episode when I was 20 and ever since then it's changed my life for the worse.

I'm 33 now, had all the therapy, on the medication etc but nothing seems to 'work'. I kinda long for the days of just feeling normal. I'm numb to a lot of stuff now. It's sad looking at it.

I wouldn't wish OCD on anyone. A lot of people think it's just a hand washing thing but believe me it's a lot more in depth than that.

I've suffered from severe OCD since I was 20 years old.

I guess I've always had tendencies looking back but I had an episode when I was 20 and ever since then it's changed my life for the worse.

I'm 33 now, had all the therapy, on the medication etc but nothing seems to 'work'. I kinda long for the days of just feeling normal. I'm numb to a lot of stuff now. It's sad looking at it.

I wouldn't wish OCD on anyone. A lot of people think it's just a hand washing thing but believe me it's a lot more in depth than that.
Feeling very related to you, bro. I have what you could call existential or philosophical OCD. My mind goes crazy on endless ruminations and musings that get out of hand easily and give me high levels of anxiety. Mom and dad had also OCD and my childhood kinda sucked with both two projecting their fears into my brother and me.

Lukashenko

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
Feeling very related to you, bro. I have what you could call existential or philosophical OCD. My mind goes crazy on endless ruminations and musings that get out of hand easily and give me high levels of anxiety. Mom and dad had also OCD and my childhood kinda sucked with both two projecting their fears into my brother and me.
I've had all probably most forms of OCD you can imagine its horrific.

Its hard to ignore your thoughts when they're constantly there.

I'm looking into cutting my medication soon as I want to experience some kind of feeling again but I'm worried how I will react to it.

Oh and for anyone out there who experiences similar, don't drink alcohol. If you absolutely have to, don't drink to excess. It messes you up so bad.

Johnnyvee

Ostrich
I've had all probably most forms of OCD you can imagine its horrific.

Its hard to ignore your thoughts when they're constantly there.

I'm looking into cutting my medication soon as I want to experience some kind of feeling again but I'm worried how I will react to it.

Oh and for anyone out there who experiences similar, don't drink alcohol. If you absolutely have to, don't drink to excess. It messes you up so bad.

Just out of curiosity, do you consume caffeine on a regular basis? (coffee, teas, dark chocolate, sodas)

Johnnyvee

Ostrich
Yeah and I guess that does not help?

Yeah, the science is so complicated that I don`t even want to go into it to much. And I think that it misses that point also, as we don`t have the tools anyway to understand what is going on at a epigenetic level.

But suffice to say that caffeine inhibits adenosine receptors systemically, and including the brain of course. And adenosine has a calming effect, by counteracting the excitatory neurotransmitters like glutamate and dopamine. (disinhibition it`s called) Caffeine also depletes serotonin over time it seems. Glutamate/GABA dysregulation is definitely involved in OCD, (and so is serotonin) and caffeine definitely messes with the homeostasis of these molecules. And there are many other things that happens in the brain/endocrine system as well with caffeine.

I think that caffeine is a key driver in OCD, but you have to be prepared for a major, but transient, depression if you give it up. If you can come out of the woods however, I believe that you will be closer to being rid of the problem altogether. Try not drinking caffeine for one full day if you can, and you will see that the ruminations are reduced right away. (but you will feel like shit also in the beginning)

Last edited:

Lukashenko

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
Yeah, the science is so complicated that I don`t even want to go into it to much. And I think that it misses that point also, as we don`t have the tools anyway to understand what is going on at a epigenetic level.

But suffice to say that caffeine inhibits adenosine receptors systemically, and including the brain of course. And adenosine has a calming effect, by counteracting the excitatory neurotransmitters like glutamate and dopamine. (disinhibition it`s called) Caffeine also depletes serotonin over time it seems. Glutamate/GABA dysregulation is definitely involved in OCD, (and so is serotonin) and caffeine definitely messes with the homeostasis of these molecules. And there are many other things that happens in the brain/endocrine system as well with caffeine.

I think that caffeine is a key driver in OCD, but you have to be prepared for a major, but transient, depression if you give it up. If you can come out of the woods however, I believe that you will be closer to being rid of the problem altogether. Try not drinking caffeine for one full day if you can, and you will see that the ruminations are reduced right away. (but you will feel like shit also in the beginning)
I will do my best to give it up. I work a basic warehouse job which is one of the reasons why I drink caffeine lot. I will attempt to try it next week.

fortyfive

Woodpecker
For your well-being, you have to be your own psychologist.
I have read a very useful book (Learned Optimism by Martin E.P. Seligman)
about hopelessness and how optimism can be learned. That book is not some "feel good" bullshit motivational book like many. It is written very reasonably and sober, author (former president of US psychological association) spend decades studying this subject. His technique was successfully used by Olympic winners, soldiers on remote stations, in the corporate world, and also by me.
In short, we are feeling bad, when we are thinking bad. How we think, that we feel. Thinking is first, feelings follow. The good news is, we are capable to change how we are thinking.
Of course, reading Bible is of foremost importance before humans books.

Secondly, you are feeling bad because you are in a big city. Forget the idiotic leftist idea of living happily in a "large, vibrant city, full of energy".
You are suffocated in the city for a reason. And the reason is, cities are built by humans. Babylons, built by godless humans.
God created wonderful nature and humans created stinking cities.

I tell you, what's immensely lifting my spirit every single time.
Go every day for at least 2 hours somewhere to an outdoor place. Go to near woods, forest, simply to places where are no humans. Quiet, remote, for people uninteresting place. No city parks, or tourist areas.
And just sit under a tree, in the grass, listen to birds, watch clouds, make a small fire and cook something little or just a tea.
You wouldn't believe, how different you will feel.

I'm living in the city too for business reasons, but I'm escaping almost every day to deep forests.

saturn

Sparrow
Getting into a cold shower, bath, river, lake or sea is the best thing you can do for this. Beats every medication and meditation I tried.

Check out wim hofs breathing and advice on learning about cold.

This course is helpful too but nothing beats the power of the cold water. It is 10 time’s more powerful than any other method in my experience.