Parler thread

Leafcutter

Chicken
Alternatives like Parler/Bitchute/etc are great and all, but they don't prevent ideas from being pushed out of the public eye and made taboo. Even if they can't completely remove something from the internet, it's enough to stigmatize it by making it unpublishable on mainstream websites.

Elmore

Kingfisher
Sorry this isnt pertinent, but does anyone know where the thread is about 'whether the modern tech companies & their positions emerged and rose organically via the market, or by design?'

Basically positting the theory that it was Facebook, Google, Apple etc were part of a putsch and pushed on us.

I cant find it and would like to read it in full.

Rotten

Robin
Facebook was definitely pushed on us. I remember Facebook being shilled by local news at a time when it had real competition from MySpace and Friendster. Rupert Murdock eventually bought MySpace to kill it.

Google, however, was legitimately the best search engine for a long time, and Apple had a hardcore fan base.

Apple came back from nothing by facilitating music piracy. I’m willing to entertain the idea that Apple (and services like Napster) wer permitted and encouraged to operate for a time by elites who wanted the Communications act of 1996 (passed in 1998). That Act placed the whole television/radio/music industries under the complete control of only 6 companies.

MichaelWilcott says they make their money ripping off investors, which would indicate subscriptions and merchandise is not a business model.

Torba may have done that once with an ICO option at one point, but he got merch and subs now.

Anyone blindly going into ICOs i feel bad for, even with free speech champions like Torba, I'd personally NEVER do it unless I had legal documents helping me

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Gold Member
I think anyone expecting a ROI from Gab or any other free speech service is acting entitled. We should be feeling grateful that these services exist and can stay afloat through donations despite the relentless deplatforming assault against them, not expecting them to generate profit for us. This is a wartime situation, not a fun stroll through the joys of the free market!

JTA

Pigeon
In response to overall topic: https://fossbytes.com/best-twitter-alternatives/

Additionally, I left FB years ago and never looked back. IMO, It's really a privacy and security risk for most. Most people may claim they need it to stay in contact with their relatives, but I've maintained relationships with immediate & extended family who primarily rely on FB to communicate. Ultimately, if they have snail mail, email, and/or a cellphone, then there's really no barrier to maintain relations.

Perhaps most might be more conditioned to the dopamine addiction that FB co-founder (Chamath Palihapitiya) spoke about, among other things.

Plus, can't trust the creator (hijacker) of FB. He's not even close to baseline:

Tkv371

Chicken
Founder/CEO of Parler, John Matze, responds to Apple's comments that Parler is responsible for all the user generated content on Parler and ensuring that this content meets App Store requirements for safety and protection of App Store users:

"Anyone who buys an Apple phone is apparently a user. Apperently they know what is best for you by telling you which apps you may and may not use.

Apparently they believe Parler is responsible for ALL user generated content on Parler. Therefor by the same logic, Apple must be responsible for ALL actions taken by their phones. Every car bomb, every illegal cell phone conversation, every illegal crime committed on an iPhone, Apple must also be responsible for....

Standards not applied to Twitter, Facebook or even Apple themselves, apply to Parler."

Source: https://parler.com/profile/John/posts

Pendleton

Pelican
Founder/CEO of Parler, John Matze, responds to Apple's comments that Parler is responsible for all the user generated content on Parler and ensuring that this content meets App Store requirements for safety and protection of App Store users:

"Anyone who buys an Apple phone is apparently a user. Apperently they know what is best for you by telling you which apps you may and may not use.

Apparently they believe Parler is responsible for ALL user generated content on Parler. Therefor by the same logic, Apple must be responsible for ALL actions taken by their phones. Every car bomb, every illegal cell phone conversation, every illegal crime committed on an iPhone, Apple must also be responsible for....

Standards not applied to Twitter, Facebook or even Apple themselves, apply to Parler."

Source: https://parler.com/profile/John/posts
The right needs to eventually figure out what the next step is beyond pointing out the hypocrisy and evil of the left.

PaulC

Robin
I can't get Parler to load on desktop or phone. Not sure if they are under a DDOS attack or just too many new users. Gab is extra slow as well.