Paying for an online e-mail provider?

Guriko

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Hey,

quick question - as I'm trying to decouple myself from services such as Amazon, Google, Microsoft I'm looking for an alternative e-mail provider with the best privacy record. It'll be for personal use and nothing 'outrageous' shall be sent/received... but I'd still at least like to make an effort to not be like an open book.

Would something like paid a protonmail account (6,25 dollars a month) fit the bill? Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance and have a nice day!

redbeard

Hummingbird
Gold Member

Guriko

Kingfisher
Gold Member

Guriko

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Personally, I like ProtonMail.

I think the point though, is that other than things like hobby sites, there is nothing free on the internet. You will pay one way or another. I would rather have the cost fixed, upfront, in dollars and be done with it

I've learned my lesson: 'When it's free, the product is you.'

Deactivated my Twitter, FB and am slowly switching all of the sites which are linked to my Gmail to another provider whilst searching for a permanent solution.

Besides that I'm training my tyrant when I search for stuff (not buy) on Amazon and other sites with 'woke' accepted materials. Doesn't take long and if I screw the algorithms a bit - I feel better.

t. You will pay one way or another.
Yep. You can pay Protonmail or some of the other secure providers - most have limited free versions as well (up to 100 emails a day for proton mail) OR you can get your 'free' account from Google and have your personal life information sale.

The only caveat - you have to keep a watchful eye on these private companies they are eternally under pressure from within (increase revenue, so let's change the TOS in a 1000 word fine print statement and start selling data) or from without (government and NGO pressure) to sell your data. They can get bought out by other companies who are not so scrupulous - this happened with VPN provider PIA - which got sold to an Israeli firm - you may as well have been using your social security number as a user name at that point.

IPS

Pigeon
I'm in the process of switching from gmail to the free version of protonmail. I plan on paying for the basic service after a month or so of testing. With the free version you can use the @pm.me alias which is kind easy to use. So far so good.

lookslikeit

Woodpecker
It's a no-brainer to use a paid email service. I've been using Fastmail for roughly 5 years. Very happy customer. They are a bit on the expensive side, but I find them more boring than protonmail which is what i need an email provider to be.

Jamal D

Robin
I was seriously considering Proton, but then they received 2 million Euro from the EU "to develop their eco system". Normally when the EU throws money at you they want something back.

Tabris

Chicken
Well, it depends on what exactly you're looking for and what kind of privacy are you aiming at. When I started my company I wanted to combine both a virtual address and a virtual mailbox in the same package due to the nature of my company. I travel a lot and I couldn't take the address of my company with me while on trips. Another issue is that if you want to register your company in the US you need to have a legit address. So for me such a service came as a great solution to avoid questions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joe316

Robin
quick question - as I'm trying to decouple myself from services such as Amazon, Google, Microsoft I'm looking for an alternative e-mail provider with the best privacy record. It'll be for personal use and nothing 'outrageous' shall be sent/received... but I'd still at least like to make an effort to not be like an open book.

Would something like paid a protonmail account (6,25 dollars a month) fit the bill? Any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance and have a nice day!

I've been using paid (shared) web hosting packages for email since the late 1990s, where everyone and his mother offered free email service. At some point I even ran my own dedicated server.

First you register your own domain name with a domain registrar, then look for a email hosting package from another company, which supports external domain names. Then you create a few entries on the nameserver to connect your domain name to your hosting solution.

If your domain registrar bugs out, you just move your domain to another one, without any service interruption (as your registrar doesn't have any access to your emails). And if your hosting company bugs out, you do the same by simply editing the nameserver entries (as they don't have any access to your domain names). You can even buy two or three hosting packages from different companies at the same time to be prepared and switch on the fly.

While there is learning curve to all this, there is a huge advantage: While you're able to shift stuff behind the scenes, you email address(es) stay exactly the same, nobody is able to take your communication hostage.

fr0st

Pigeon
Protonmail has been known to ban and or block accounts of known "white supremacists" and political dissidents. They also co-operate with the CIA and have handed over data to them in the past. If you are that autistic that you have to use an "encrypted" email service I would recommend Tutanota. Keep in mind, you can encrypt any email communications with PGP.

Email is itself not secure by design. It should not be considered a private and secure form of communication. Just use it for normie/work stuff and stick to encrypted messaging apps like Signal, Telegram, etc. for secure communication.