Personal and home defense strategies

SlickyBoy

Ostrich
Would you feel comfortable firing a shotgun if a loved one was standing next to the threat you were aiming at?

The spread alone, not to mention buckshot goes through drywall like any other round, was enough for me to choose the AR Platform or a .45 pistol (with a tactical light) over a shotgun for home defense. It's just not worth the risk.
You're ok with the shotgun and #9 bird shot (obviously, not with that particular situation but try making that shot under stress with ANY gun and not hitting a loved one).
Buckshot in the house is overkill and Hollywood-inspired nonsense.

Bolly

Pelican
Hell why not both for both scenarios? The more the merrier. Shotgun round ain't gonna penetrate walls as badly as other rounds. Still will but not as far. Won't be going off into your neighbors house unless you live crammed together in spitting distance. Shotgun is a must for close quarters home defense especially for someone who doesn't shoot regularly. Add in fear, adrenaline and tunnel vision, it's ones best bet for close distance protection and being able to have a good chance at hitting antif...i mean the intruder.

@SlickyBoy about buckshot. Bird shot is for birds ;). I'm messing. Still works, nothing wrong with Buckshot. Unless you live in an apartment.

Oh and here's a video with different rounds experimenting which is safest for wall penetration.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the best defense is don't go looking for trouble. Don't be like that guy with a sword in Dallas.

Also, since ammo is the new toilet paper, realize that you do not live in a video game--ammo drops are not everywhere, and if you have a weird gun and caliber (like I do-a .30-30 lever gun) you'd better save every shot. Unnecessary fire can draw aggro.

My best "defense" right now is that I live alone and I've already come to terms with the fact that I might not make it out of this alive. That, and I live inside a gated community (albeit one with a wall that's laughably easy to breach; I did so many times as a kid).

Another thing--tape the cameras on your phone when you're not using them. Unless you absolutely cannot go out without a phone (such as picking up a food order from an app--which you shouldn't even be doing, anyhow), don't bring your phone when you go out.

I'm sure Big Tech will find some way to track you anyway, but your job here is not make theirs easy.

R.G.Camara

Woodpecker
Some Self-Defence basics I would recommend for Home:
- Safety Bar for Doors.
- Baseball Bat.

For Self-Defence Outside (Lindy Walk anyone?):
- Flashlight. (aim directly in person's eyes if you can split-seconds before being attacked)
- Tactical Pen.
- Basic Boxing skills.
I've never been in a situation like this (and I'm not military or LEO, so never in a firefight either). So take my words with the obvious grains of salt.

But it seems to me that baseball bats seem overrated for actual self-defense, but may be useful for intimidation. I think sharp objects---hatchets, large kitchen knives, machetes, axes----would all be more useful if you were actually attacked. Hatchets, axes, and machetes can be found at sporting good stores.

Also, pepper spray. Get some top quality stuff. Legal in all 50 states. Sabre Red at 1.33% MC is supposed to be top quality. I will be purchasing that in the next few days.

So I would get a bat to scare people, but good pepper spray and a large sharp object if I thought I was going to be actually assaulted.

Obviously, this is all assuming you don't have a firearm. If you have a firearm, by all means, USE THAT.

Using a baseball bat is an awful idea for home defense. Just watch how easily the rioters overwhelmed trained police officers with police batons, men with sticks and bats, etc. Against multiple attacker it is useless. And if it's a criminal, he probably has a gun.

Not to mention, in a closed in space such as your home, you'll be hitting walls and furniture instead of the attacker. Buy a gun or move to a place where you can own one.

'Baseball bat' self-defense is one step below katana home defense:

Sherman

Ostrich
Using a baseball bat is an awful idea for home defense. Just watch how easily the rioters overwhelmed trained police officers with police batons, men with sticks and bats, etc. Against multiple attacker it is useless. And if it's a criminal, he probably has a gun.

Not to mention, in a closed in space such as your home, you'll be hitting walls and furniture instead of the attacker. Buy a gun or move to a place where you can own one.

Nunchucks are effective and incredibly dangerous, but they are outlawed in most states. They allow you to strike with precision and speed, unlike a bat.

Easy_C

Crow
You're ok with the shotgun and #9 bird shot (obviously, not with that particular situation but try making that shot under stress with ANY gun and not hitting a loved one).
Buckshot in the house is overkill and Hollywood-inspired nonsense.
I disagree. Buckshot is an excellent weapon for home defense because in a gunfight your objective is to immediately neutralize the threat. fractions of a second can count.

Additionally the spread is much smaller than most people believe. I'd be more comfortable with the buckshot than a 22 especially if that intruder was armed.

R.G.Camara

Woodpecker
One interesting historical thing I learned once is that archaeologists and historians can tell whether an nation is aggressive or passive/shrinking by the length of the swords found on the battlefield. But not the way you think.

Aggressive, growing nations had short swords---because they liked fighting up close, scrapping to the last man with opponents, and being able to kill as close as possible.

Weak, passive, or defensive nations had long swords---better to keep the enemy at a distance and avoid closer combat, just push them away or intimidate them into staying away.

The Roman swords apparently began as short and stabby but grew longer and longer after Hadrian's reign (i.e. the height of the Roman empire).

R.G.Camara

Woodpecker

This. Falls into line with what I saying before.

Easy_C

Crow
But it seems to me that baseball bats seem overrated for actual self-defense, but may be useful for intimidation. I think sharp objects---hatchets, large kitchen knives, machetes, axes----would all be more useful if you were actually attacked. Hatchets, axes, and machetes can be found at sporting good stores.

I recall Gordon Liddy getting a call from someone who had made a local enemy in town. I distinctly remember Liddy strongly recommending that an untrained combatant should use a wooden bet (He specifically said only wooden) because they're surprisingly effective and simple to use.

I've seen the same advice echoed elsewhere because most people will try to use sharpened melee weapons like sword and hatches with a "baseball bat" technique which fails to utilize those weapon's strengths and makes it easy to disarm you.

Multiple weapons isn't a bad idea but you do not want to engage groups directly. We were taught that if you are cornered you feint in one direction and try to blast out in the other direction explosively so you can break out of the circle and escape.

R.G.Camara

Woodpecker
I recall Gordon Liddy getting a call from someone who had made a local enemy in town. I distinctly remember Liddy strongly recommending that an untrained combatant should use a wooden bet (He specifically said only wooden) because they're surprisingly effective and simple to use.

I've seen the same advice echoed elsewhere because most people will try to use sharpened melee weapons like sword and hatches with a "baseball bat" technique which fails to utilize those weapon's strengths and makes it easy to disarm you.

Multiple weapons isn't a bad idea but you do not want to engage groups directly. We were taught that if you are cornered you feint in one direction and try to blast out in the other direction explosively so you can break out of the circle and escape.
Yes, definitely don't engage more than one person. Forget the movies, you can't take more than one person, and with them you'll barely have enough, and the fight won't be decisive at all. And the more they swarm you, the more will come in these riots.

Interesting what Liddy said. It doesn't ring true with me, but to his point most of us have swung a bat in our lives, so we know how to that, but most of us (myself included) have never used a large knife/sword/hatchet---maybe once or twice, but we've definitely all swung bats a lot more thanks to baseball being the national past time. So I can see Liddy's advice being true.

Then again, Liddy was a LOT darker in his mindset and actions than most of us. No disrespect, but he was capable of a lot more violence and dirtiness than any of us (myself included). Most of us could have never done have the shit he did in his life, our stomachs and morals would turn. So perhaps to a guy like Liddy the bat was effective because he could go from zero to dirty killer in a second, and so could combine his childhood baseball playing days with adult savageness without even a hesitation.

I dunno. But I'm at least getting good quality pepper spray before the weekend hits. It's a size-independent weapon that's non-lethal, but if you hold it out clearly and start spraying people will freeze and avoid, as I was counselled by people with actual experience in the security field (no, not fat rent-a-cops).

P.S. Can't get a gun, blue state, the application is going to take months to process.

1. One thing not mention is ear protection; which is super vital in indoor environments.

You fire almost any gun indoors without some form of hearing protection, you're going to blow your hearing out and probably do permanent damage. In the immediate, you will at least have a harder time hearing things around your house; diminishing your situational awareness during an active threat.

Options:

a. Get some electronic hearing protection. Reduces the gun noises and allows you to still hear things and communicate. Should be right next to your gun so you can grab and go. Some even have voice command bluetooth connections to your cell phone and allow you to call police/friends via voice input.

b. Use a weapon with a suppressor. If you do this, the gun and ammo type used matters and you have to test whether it's safe enough to use INDOORS. Even with a suppressor, there is a decent chance it's not going to be safe enough to use indoors without some form of hearing protection. Less damaging perhaps but not below the threshold to avoid hearing damage. Another thing to consider is whether the loud noise is something you want intentionally since there are benefits: scares hostiles away, alerts friendlies nearby, and blows out the hearing of hostiles.

2. If you live in multi-family housing where you share walls (especially places with thin walls; like most places in America), you must be very selective about weapon and ammo choices. There are PLENTY of YouTube videos out there testing weapon and ammo choices against various surfaces like drywall, mattresses, metal doors, etc. Assume nothing unless you are OK with possible criminal and civil charges for accidentally killing/wounding a neighbor.

3. Get self-defense insurance. Lawsuits/criminal charges aren't cheap and the odds of needing a lawyer is very high post self-defense incident.

4. Do NOT ever advertise you have a weapon or expose your ownership of weapons unless absolutely necessary. If you live in a state with red flag laws, all it take is some libtard/dick neighbor to see you take your gun out to your truck or whatever and before you know it, you got a no-knock raid on your place at 4am for "reasons" or "being a possible white supremacist planning an attack." If you react slightly out of line while half awake and confused as hell, you will likely be shot and killed.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
I prefer the thrust. It leaves less openings for a counter attack and wont get you hitched up on nearby obstructions or people.

No, but seriously, it's good advice. People are right to advise against swinging weapons. Think about it, the place you're most likely to be fighting if you're armed is your front door or a hallway in your house. Not ideal swinging/slashing territory. Spears not only offer you more range (a great deterrent) but can inflict very serious wounds while being easily withdrawn for followup strikes.

I never really understood the red stuff at the end to the spear but it makes sense to me now. Think if it like an ancient form of a red dot sight. It makes targeting much easier.

Last edited: