Personal and home defense strategies

Hermetic Seal

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Spears are actually a far superior melee weapon to a sword - that's why most armies, pre-firearms, focused on spears. Easier to train and use than swords. Longer reach. Swords are for close-quarters combat. A spear keeps the enemy away from you. Even bayonets basically turn your rifle into a short spear.

Spears also seem like they'd be a great option for home defense because if you and the intruder don't have a gun, and you're fighting in close quarters, having a long, thrusting weapon is a huge advantage. Not sure how I'd smuggle a spear into my apartment though, even if I managed to find one.

Sherman

Ostrich
I've never been in a situation like this (and I'm not military or LEO, so never in a firefight either). So take my words with the obvious grains of salt.

But it seems to me that baseball bats seem overrated for actual self-defense, but may be useful for intimidation. I think sharp objects---hatchets, large kitchen knives, machetes, axes----would all be more useful if you were actually attacked. Hatchets, axes, and machetes can be found at sporting good stores.

Also, pepper spray. Get some top quality stuff. Legal in all 50 states. Sabre Red at 1.33% MC is supposed to be top quality. I will be purchasing that in the next few days.

So I would get a bat to scare people, but good pepper spray and a large sharp object if I thought I was going to be actually assaulted.

Obviously, this is all assuming you don't have a firearm. If you have a firearm, by all means, USE THAT.
Sabre red is what I use. It also has a nice rotating cap with a safety lock that you can quickly rotate for action.

kel

Pelican
Make it in your apartment, there are instructions online with how to do it with stuff from the hardware store.

I'd just take it in. Who's likely to see you? If you're really worried, bring a broom with with you and walk back in the with the broom and spear together, spear on the inside so the bristles of the broom are covering it and it just looks like you're carrying a broom or two.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
...Not sure how I'd smuggle a spear into my apartment though, even if I managed to find one.
Depending on your location you might be able to find a plumbing and fitting supplier who will help you out without asking a lot of questions. Be sure to wear some apparel with your national flag on it so he doesn't mistake you for an aspiring looter.

Ask for two meters of something that's sturdy, fits well in the hand and has some heft but isn't too heavy. Then ask for him to cut it for you at the most extreme angle his drop saw will allow for. Cover the sharp end with a few layers of cardboard and tape it in place. People will think you're replacing a curtain rod or something.

When you get it home wrap one end in hockey type grip tape and you're ready to go. When choosing the pipe don't forget to leave some girth to account for the grip tape.

Depending on the price and the number of capable hands you have at home you might want to get several or even half a dozen. It's not unreasonable to "apply" one and leave it in place, withdrawing and grabbing the next one before repeating. Heck, if a spear were applied to me the first thing I'd do is probably grab the end of it. Maybe you want a light coat of petroleum jelly at the business end too.

Last edited:
What is missing is blending in. Outside of the home, maybe, any violent reaction will be met with severe police and legal action. ANTIFA & BLM run the govt. Understand the skill of blending in. Most here can repeat all talking points of the revolutionaries. So long as you don't allow your pride & ego best you, one could easily blend into the herd.

An occupied land with numbers not on our side, the majority of instituitions, govt and military all support the revolution or step aside to it. Far too many videos online of lone men shouting down and provoking the mob; believing their skin color or adherence to anti-PC culture makese them lions, only to be killed or beaten.

This revolution requires us to operate in the shadows. Without pride or recognition of our victories. Indistinguishable in our clothing, mannerisms and trends of the mob our ability to swim in the new toxicity of the sea will be critical to undermining the system. Violence in warfare is a very small portion of the overall campaign strategy.

Dr Mantis Toboggan

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Spears are actually a far superior melee weapon to a sword - that's why most armies, pre-firearms, focused on spears. Easier to train and use than swords. Longer reach. Swords are for close-quarters combat. A spear keeps the enemy away from you. Even bayonets basically turn your rifle into a short spear.

Spears also seem like they'd be a great option for home defense because if you and the intruder don't have a gun, and you're fighting in close quarters, having a long, thrusting weapon is a huge advantage. Not sure how I'd smuggle a spear into my apartment though, even if I managed to find one.

You could put it in a long, thin cardboard box and if anyone asks say you bought a barbell. Put a sock or glove or something over the tip so it doesn't punch through the cardboard as you're carrying it.

Isn't a home defense situation by definition close quarters combat though? I kinda think a good-sized sword with a sharp blade (not just the tip) like a katana is the next best thing to a gun for home defense (provided you learn how to use it, which doesn't mean you need to be a kendo master, just some basic knowledge). Gives you roughly the reach of a baseball bat with the cutting ability of a knife, the assailant can't grab the blade. And psychologically it's going to be a lot more intimidating than a blunt weapon. A tomahawk or similar axe could be good too.

LeBeau

Ostrich
Gold Member
Sherman said:
Nunchucks are effective and incredibly dangerous, but they are outlawed in most states. They allow you to strike with precision and speed, unlike a bat.
Are you serious? You would use nunchucks to defend yourself and your family?
For those who are new to the forum, you'll find there are some posters like Sherman, It_is_my_time, etc. that post a lot, but with very little valuable insight.

Even worse, they often feel the need to be negative, contrarian and derail threads without much rational argument behind their opinions.

This is where the "Ignore" button can streamline and improve your reading experience.

Last edited:

Easy_C

Crow
One thing everyone should realize: there is very little in your house or car that will actually stop a bullet. Hiding behind the your car door or your sofa is not going to protect you from gunfire at all.
If you need to take cover behind a vehicle get behind the engine block in line with the wheels. Plan B is to crouch or go prone behind the rear wheels.

Matsufubu

Pelican
Ninja Turtles nonsense aside, let me just hark back to Leonard's post about thrusting rather than swinging.

UK here, so guns are not an option so I can't comment on the efficacy of guns over melee weapons. Of course a gun is top trumps, but if it's not an option...

Swinging a baseball bat - or whatever you're wielding - is often not an option in home defence. Sure, if you connect with your target you'll cause incapacitating damage, but assuming that you have enough room to do so, you had better make contact or you'll find yourself off balance and open to attack. Swinging is an all or nothing attack; you ever hear of MMA or boxing guys advocating for haymakers? Not really.

Shorter and direct movements are beneficial with the appropriate weapon.

A knife if dangerous and intimidating but lacks the force to stop attackers in their tracks, and force is what you'll need to repel a home invasion. If you want to make a spear, all you need to do is get a hardwood branch or even a broom handle and sharpen it, then harden it in a fire. A metal tip if desirable but hardly essential for puncturing flesh. Or simply solidly duct tape a decent knife to your broom handle. Boom, instant spear.

Simple answer for me: crowbar/wrecking bar. One end has the extra metal to use in a clubbing action; the other to use in a thrusting action in close quarters. You can put your other hand on the prying end for extra force. A home invasion equals several assailants, so big swings are a usually no-no. In a small space there is a limit the number of people you need to face at one time. Short, powerful thrusts at close quarters will cause more damage than they're willing to manage.

Remember, they're looking for a victim, not a fight.

Of course, the best solution is not to be there in the first place. Once you're fighting it's only a matter of who loses the most.

SlickyBoy

Ostrich
I disagree. Buckshot is an excellent weapon for home defense because in a gunfight your objective is to immediately neutralize the threat. fractions of a second can count.

Additionally the spread is much smaller than most people believe. I'd be more comfortable with the buckshot than a 22 especially if that intruder was armed.
Who said anything about a .22? Your neighbors in the low-end, drywalled apartment complex might disagree about buckshot being a great idea. Bird shot gets the job done and lessens your potential manslaughter liability. One slight advantage to shitty construction is the bad guy just might hear you rack that shotgun before deciding to kick in your door.

BTW, don't waste your money on those pocket faraday cages for your phone - they don't work.

SlickyBoy

Ostrich
a. Get some electronic hearing protection....

b. Use a weapon with a suppressor....

2. If you live in multi-family housing where you share walls (especially places with thin walls; like most places in America), you must be very selective about weapon and ammo choices....

4. Do NOT ever advertise you have a weapon or expose your ownership of weapons unless absolutely necessary....
If you want to own a suppressor legally - and you can forget about it in many of the "red flag" states & municipalities, every law enforcement agency will know you've got the federal papers to own a suppressor. This goes for jurisdictions where registering guns isn't required - never mind what they cost compared to a used rifle/pistol/shotgun. But I agree with otherwise not advertising your gun ownership, for lots of reasons. Hard to believe there's still people who put Glock stickers all over their damned pickup trucks.

As for hearing protection, in Iraq a buddy once fired a shotgun while sitting next to me in Suburban. I barely noticed the noise; sounded like a pop gun - without ear protection. Reaching for the Peltors before you lock & load when your door is getting beaten down may sound great but it's unlikely you'd react that way unless you really prepped for it.

And thank you re: shitty construction apartments - that's exactly what I'm talking about with respect to birdshot versus macho-bullshit buckshot.

Easy_C

Crow
BTW, don't waste your money on those pocket faraday cages for your phone - they don't work.
Aluminum foil works. A lot of them aren't reliable so make sure you order from somewhere with a return policy

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
As for hearing protection, in Iraq a buddy once fired a shotgun while sitting next to me in Suburban. I barely noticed the noise; sounded like a pop gun - without ear protection...
Did he fire it out the window or did it go off in the car? Can't honestly see how a 12g going off in a car wouldn't be at least seriously unpleasant. But firing it out of the window allows the car itself to shield most of noise.

You're right about the bird shot, though. At spitting distance it will still tear someone up. Only someone dosed to the eyeballs would keep coming. This is why I keep telling guys in Australia and the UK to get a clay shooters license. Even two barrels of bird shot is centuries ahead of a home made spear.

Sherman

Ostrich
For those who are new to the forum, you'll find there are some posters like Sherman, It_is_my_time, etc. that post a lot, but with very little valuable insight.

Even worse, they often feel the need to be negative, contrarian and derail threads without much rational argument behind their opinions.

This is where the "Ignore" button can streamline and improve your reading experience.
I normally don't respond to twit comments to avoid drama, but I need to respond to this because it isn't true and unfairly attacks my reputation.

Someone mentioned a baseball bat, and I responded that unlike a baseball bat nunchucks have precision and speed. This is not a comment without insight. I was really trying to dissuade the use of a bat which is not a good defensive weapon. I also mentioned that nunchucks are illegal in most states so that men consult their local laws. I have also practiced with nunchucks for over 30 years so I was commenting on something to which I have direct knowledge. In another post, I also mentioned pepper spray which is realistically the best alternative for walking outside. In my opinion carrying a gun is not a good idea, and if you need to carry a gun you are living in the wrong neighborhood.

In contrast the above comment has zero value and is a zero information pointless attack on another poster.

1. Don't talk down to members. Don't call someone an idiot, moron, or hater. Don't use condescending language such as "WTF are you talking about?" Don't be a drama queen or be quick to get into arguments. Defer to senior members, who help make the forum what it is.

Last edited: