Personal and home defense strategies

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
Remember, though. Myths can work from either end.

I'm sure plenty of aggressors have seen a shotgun and thought "crap, that guy doesn't even hardly need to aim that thing and I'm toast."

RWIsrael

Woodpecker
Careful with psychological deterrents. Cameras and floodlights serve a purpose (as do Claymores around the perimeter) but make it too obvious that you have a badass expensive alarm system and people will start thinking there must be something really valuable and worth stealing.

Best you can do for deterrence is convince potential burglars that your house is a high effort low value job and they should instead target your liberal neighbor.

Psalm27

Robin
Gold Member
Absent from the body, present with the Lord. Make sure you are right with God, then even death has lost its sting.

Remember, though. Myths can work from either end.

I'm sure plenty of aggressors have seen a shotgun and thought "crap, that guy doesn't even hardly need to aim that thing and I'm toast."
I'm practicing my aiming, just in case hehe

Mossberg has some nice basic instructional videos, including this one on which round to choose for home defence. It was going pretty well until he gets to pointing at the target, and when discussing the buckshot grouping he is clearly pointing to the hole left by the wad... oh well, maybe he's not used to being in front of the camera.

Easy_C

Crow
Careful with psychological deterrents. Cameras and floodlights serve a purpose (as do Claymores around the perimeter) but make it too obvious that you have a badass expensive alarm system and people will start thinking there must be something really valuable and worth stealing.

Best you can do for deterrence is convince potential burglars that your house is a high effort low value job and they should instead target your liberal neighbor.
If you're outside a city/HOA, dropping a junker car on the lawn will help do that.

Murdock

Pigeon
I saw a segment on Fox a few nights ago about the Byrna HD. It looks like a firearm but works with compressed CO2 and launches non lethal projectiles which explode releasing irritants on contact.

The major selling point is that since it’s not technically a firearm you don’t have to deal with background checks. The only waiting period is the time it will take to ship-currently 8 weeks or more due to high demand. While it’s clearly not a replacement for an actual firearm, it may be the next best thing depending on your jurisdiction and personal circumstances.

I don’t know enough about firearms and personal defense to say how effective it might be but I felt it was worth mentioning. From the videos I’ve seen it does seem to work.

Tail Gunner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I took a scrap piece of heavy angle-iron with some pre-drilled holes and created a holster holder. The angle iron looks similar to the one pictured below, except that both ends are about twice as long. One side slips between my mattress and my box spring. The other side has a pistol holster attached to it by a length of heavy coat-hanger wire, so that the holster hangs right beside my bed. I sleep on the side of the bedroom away from the door. If an intruder bursts through the bedroom door, upon rising my hand naturally sweeps over the area where the handgun sits in its holster. So, nothing about my movements (upon rising from my bed) appears threatening or suspicious as I grip my handgun. If I hear a strange sound in the night, I can also grip the sidearm while still lying in bed. It is far superior to having to reach or fumble for a firearm.

a angle.jpg

Last edited:

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
As a good rule of thumb fortifications are OK while 000/911 (or your local equivalent) is still tasking officers to home invasions quickly rather than hours later to hassle the survivors, but when that ceases to be the case then you really ought to be heading somewhere safer.

I have found this a fascinating thread, because I live in the Philippines, in a good, but not great area, in terms of safety. I "feel safe," but have been told that muggings and burglaries/home invasions do happen, though rarely. I live in a new apartment eightplex, with enough adults and young children almost always outside, that it would have a deterrence effect. We have bars on the windows, but presently, no alarm system. We don't own a gun, a dog, a machete, or even a baseball bat. Big kitchen meat cutting knives are about it for defense. Our next door neighbor has closed circuit cams watching the front and back of his apartment. My lady does at least carry pepper spray in her travels.

Being that I am a white skinned American, I stand out, and that could create the assumption that we have lots of great stuff to steal, which is not actually true. Other than a few computers, phones and a big wide screen television, we don't have much. Am I being nervous over nothing? What should I do next, to keep things safe?

The only "crime" I have witnessed was the cousin of our next door neighbor (not the one with the cams), who looked like a punk rock lesbian, step onto our back porch area, and steal a small packet of laundry detergent! Lol She did not realize I saw her from my desk. I decided to let the whole matter go, to not create difficulty with our nice neighbor, who had a bad relative, temporarily staying with them. They are all gone now.

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member
Report: 1,797,910 Firearms Sold in April 2020, a 71.3% Increase Over April 2019

(CNSNews) -- A report by Small Arms Analytics & Forecasting (SAAF) estimates that in April 2020 there were 1,797,910 gun sales, an increase of 71.3% over the April 2019 sales.

As the SAAF estimated, "April 2020 U.S. firearms unit sales [were] at 1,797,910 units, a year-over-year increase of 71.3% from April 2019. Likely single handgun sales (1,085,046) increased year-over-year by 83.1% whereas single long-gun sales (560,353) increased year-over-year by 51.7%."

"All other likely background check-related sales (152,512) increased year-over-year by 74.6%," said the SAAF. "This includes so-called 'multiple' sales where the allocation between handguns and long-guns cannot be determined from the data record."

“Once more, the spurt in firearms sales in April 2020 is particularly notable for its handgun component," said SAAF Chief Economist Jurgen Brauer. "The ratio of handguns to long-guns sold now stands at a new record of 1.94, breaking the previous high of 1.84 set just one month ago.”

The SAAF’s firearms unit sales estimates "are based on raw data taken from the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS), adjusted for checks unlikely to be related to end-user firearms sales," states the organization. "For example, the FBI’s raw numbers (for April, some 2,878,176) cannot be taken at face value as large numbers of background checks are unrelated to end-user sales."

As an example, said the SAAF, "in April the state of Kentucky conducted close to 170,000 so-called permit checks and rechecks alone whereas end-user checks at firearms retailers likely amounted to about 40,000 checks."

Remember boys. Flowers not guns are what will protect you.

In my opinion ,this footage is 100% scripted in advance. As a French native -you can feel in the way the journalists asks and the father talks to his son , and also the son to his father. They have been learning that script . Also the tv show is an extremely anti-french leftist show . Even the biggest cuck clown in France wouldn't agree with that theory that flowers can stop guns. This is simply the official narrative in action:)

In my opinion ,this footage is 100% scripted in advance. As a French native -you can feel in the way the journalists asks and the father talks to his son , and also the son to his father. They have been learning that script . Also the tv show is an extremely anti-french leftist show . Even the biggest cuck clown in France wouldn't agree with that theory that flowers can stop guns. This is simply the official narrative in action:)
If it's scripted why's it being done so poorly?

I meant to say, that it's very unpersuasive. I only saw it posted as an example of cucked thinking to be mocked. Do people actually believe this?

Easy_C

Crow
We use door armor in our home. While I haven't tested it myself, it feels very sturdy and from videos, solid. Worth checking out imho. They're made for only exterior doors, but you can use them inside with a little modification (and swapping out your doors for better, solid core). Link below.

Be careful trusting it. People who are competent will expect that and shoot around the door through the siding/drywall next to the door.

If you're living in a big city - dress down - blend in.

In Īsrael everybody from the lowest level worker to high level finance guys dress in cheap blue jeans, a polo shirt (top buttons always open) and random running shoes / sneakers, usually unshaven and they never look too neat. Look some street walking videos of Teł Avīv to get an idea.

Decathlon or HM should be your shops of choice.

In the cities, walk quickly, look down, use your peripheral vision to see whats going on around you, if random people chat you up - got to go - got no time. Never entertain people that aren't introduced to you by known quantities as trustworthy. If neighbors inquire about your work or finances you're always barely getting by, got debts etc. Jealousy can get you killed and almost got me killed in the past. If you're retired get a low end job like delivery driver so people in your area know your face and associate you as a legit working lower class person and not some guy sitting on his millions. Rumors alone can make you a home invasion / robbery victim.

While lower working class areas near ghettos can actually offer some protection if you blend in - if you lack street smarts that most people of color have inbuilt you can be an easy victim even if you don't have much.

Also keep some cash ($100 or so) in your pocket. Robbers might kill you out of anger if they get nothing of worth when they rob you.

If you're living in a big city - dress down - blend in.

In Īsrael everybody from the lowest level worker to high level finance guys dress in cheap blue jeans, a polo shirt (top buttons always open) and random running shoes / sneakers, usually unshaven and they never look too neat. Look some street walking videos of Teł Avīv to get an idea.

Decathlon or HM should be your shops of choice.

In the cities, walk quickly, look down, use your peripheral vision to see whats going on around you, if random people chat you up - got to go - got no time. Never entertain people that aren't introduced to you by known quantities as trustworthy. If neighbors inquire about your work or finances you're always barely getting by, got debts etc. Jealousy can get you killed and almost got me killed in the past. If you're retired get a low end job like delivery driver so people in your area know your face and associate you as a legit working lower class person and not some guy sitting on his millions. Rumors alone can make you a home invasion / robbery victim.

While lower working class areas near ghettos can actually offer some protection if you blend in - if you lack street smarts that most people of color have inbuilt you can be an easy victim even if you don't have much.

Also keep some cash ($100 or so) in your pocket. Robbers might kill you out of anger if they get nothing of worth when they rob you.
Thanks for writing this down.