Personal and home defense strategies

Johnny Rico

Woodpecker
In all honesty, at this time unless you're in a warzone area, the best defense is noise. You can buy a basic alarm system off Amazon for $200ish. Have an aerosol horn on your night stand. Thieves are cowards and will run if you make loud noises and acknowledge their presence.

This is likely only going to be effective for a few more months or maybe a year until the civil war gets hot. Everyone with the means to do so needs a firearm, preferably a pistol with hollowpoint ammunition, to defend themselves. You MUST train on weapon retention or they WILL take it from you.

Partner up with a friend and practice. Watch these videos but know that watching videos does not build muscle memory you must do it yourself repeatedly.

Tail Gunner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
In all honesty, at this time unless you're in a warzone area, the best defense is noise. You can buy a basic alarm system off Amazon for $200ish. Have an aerosol horn on your night stand. Thieves are cowards and will run if you make loud noises and acknowledge their presence.

This is likely only going to be effective for a few more months or maybe a year until the civil war gets hot. Everyone with the means to do so needs a firearm, preferably a pistol with hollowpoint ammunition, to defend themselves. You MUST train on weapon retention or they WILL take it from you.

Partner up with a friend and practice. Watch these videos but know that watching videos does not build muscle memory you must do it yourself repeatedly.
I like the air horn idea. Most criminals will run away -- and look for an easier target.

That second video is for LEOs, who are held to a higher standard. As a civilian, if someone tries to take your gun like that, just pull the trigger -- because a criminal is seeking to grab a deadly weapon from you. That is a life and death situation.

With regard to the first video, use a thumb release holster. Most non-gun people will not know about the thumb release and will simply try to snatch the gun, placing you on notice and providing you with crucial time to react.

Personally, I would just buy the right holster (as mentioned in the first video) and spend more time on trigger control -- and some essential martial arts skills (e.g., high probability knock-out blows).

You are absolutely correct about the training element. Last week, I began to work out on my Boxing Bob and heavy bag. I was surprised by how rusty I had become. I was also surprised by how quickly my training came back after only a week of practice (at least regarding the core strikes).

Last edited:

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member
Gun Sales Increased 133% In July, Reaching New Record-Highs

Gun sales reportedly reached a record high in July, which saw an increase in sales of 133% compared to last year, according to the Washington Free Beacon.

Gun sales have hit record-highs for 5 consecutive months, and gun companies have seen a surge in profits. Sturm, Ruger & Company announced Thursday that they had tripled their earnings and increased net sales by $43, 536,000 this year, and Smith & Wesson Brands Inc. reported a 32.9% increase in net sales in the fourth quarter of 2020, according to the Washington Free Beacon.

Sturm, Ruger & Company CEO Chris Killoy called it a “staggering increase in demand.”

“Having been in this industry for 30 years, I saw the surge in 1994 before the assault weapons ban took place,” he said. “This is probably the strongest level of demand that I’ve seen.”

“One of the most significant differences is how it has impacted all levels of the channel and the impact on inventory at all levels,” he added.

Killoy said that concern about protection during the coronavirus pandemic and ongoing protests, along with calls to defund the police, are contributing to the rise in firearm sales.

While many businesses suffered due to forced closures during the pandemic, Killoy said that his company “never lost a day of production.”

“We had some impacts to individual lines for a shift or two, but in all cases, we’re able to keep all of our factories open and operating. The demand was solid throughout,” he added. “We got used to dealing with COVID-19. And our practices and procedures really solidified and we were able to become much more of a routine.”

RoadKill

Pigeon
Pantifa has been using lasers and high power LED flashlights to blind victims and police. The most common color for these monkeys are green (532nm λ) and blue lasers (480nm λ). They are illegal lasers which crank out about 3 to 7 watts, which is enough to light a match if placed about 6 inches away. At that distance, the beam is about 500um to 2mm or 3mm wide, depending on the beam characteristics and how it's collimated. When shot at the eyes from a distance of approximately 20 yards, the beam diverges and is inches wide. How many inches depends on each laser. That means the full power is dispersed over a larger area. In this case, you may feel some heat, but not likely. Your eyes will be blinded or damaged.

I now carry a set of laser glasses in my car and in my backpack wherever I go. Make sure they are good quality glasses with an optical density of at least 3, covering wavelengths (λ) of 340nm to 532nm. My personal glasses have an OD of 10 up to 355nm and an OD of 8 at 523nm.

Optical density means that for each value, it cuts laser light allowed through by 90%, meaning only 10% gets through. So for a 5 watt green beam (532nm λ), a set of glasses with an OD of 1 would only allow 0.5 watts through. A set with an OD of 2 would allow 0.05 through and a set with an OD of 3 would only allow 0.005 watts through. My glasses with an OD of 8 will cut a 5 watt beam down to 0.00000005 watts, or simply a turns a class 4 laser beam into a class 1 laser beam.

A good set of laser glasses will cost about $150 to $200, but survival lasers has a set of glasses with an OD of 6 rated for 190nm (deep UV) to 532nm (green). Blue falls within that spectrum. They're about $45.

You may consider having a set of sunglasses at the ready if they use LED flashlight. But hey, if you shoot at the light....

My state allows concealed carry, and I carry a P228 9mm daily. I also ordered an AR pistol kit and may start packing that in my backpack if I'm confronted by an angry mob. They have started to move out of cities and into suburbs, so even if you avoid the hotspots, they may still come find you.

Good luck and stay safe out there.

RK

Easy_C

Crow
One thing of note:

the police response of going hard after people who are identified as defending themselves is designed to disincentivize people from resisting the mob.

it’s not creating the incentive they think it is if you catch my drift. I fully expect at some point people will begin acting in accordance with those incentives.

Mike0060

Sparrow
I've setup my house fine, extra sheet metal and steel rod in several spots as needed and lights around the entire perimeter/cameras.

Gates have number combo entry locks. Not much but every little bit helps. And also good ole reliable pump bucky. :) :)

I really just avoid large public spaces as much as possible or going downtown unless necessary.

If it's not for business purposes, I have no business being there really. Maybe Canada is a lot more chill than the USA.

Easy_C

Crow
So OK. Here's that post. I'm able to be a bit more open now about specifics. Basically, while I was in the military among other tasks I was the guy who designed the standards for the local militia/police force organization's outposts that were used throughout a province of this country.

It is not your massive stash of all the perfect, expensive, guns, body armor, and kit that will do the most to help you. It is successfully preparing a logistical situation that plays to your advantage and to the disadvantage of any hostile actors.

I did was calibrated for a rural area and others tweaked it for their needs.

Your key dimensions of this are:
  1. Access Control
  2. "Life Support", aka sanitation, food, and shelter
  3. Communications
  4. Power
  5. Security Infrastructure

Each of these need to be assessed based on your layout, the terrain you have around the plot of land you're operating on, support networks available to you, and your threat matrix. You need to think about these aspects in terms of functionality and no trying to cross the box for specific items to have. Resist the prepper mentality of "You must do X, Y, and Z to be prepared!" . Most of these people are trying to sell you overpriced "survival" services and goods.

First up: Access Control. You're trying to accomplish several things. The first that you want to prevent people from being able to speed a vehicle right up into the middle of your property, thus startling you before you can effectively react. Secondly this prevents them from doing more "kinetic" actions like driving a vehicle right and shooting into your windows. Another consideration we had to deal with that isn't present in the current conflict yet is VBIEDs (although that may be a factor once Cartels become more actively involved). At the high end of functionality you'll have a setup that makes it extremely difficult or impossible for unauthorized vehicles to enter.

There's a couple of things you can do. For your access point the first item of business is to have a gate that requires opening to enter the property. Given that consumer technology is cheaper I recommend taking a step we didn't have access to and using a solar powered gate alarm to alert you when the gate is opened. The second risk is that someone will try to smash right through the gate. You can prevent this by using a "serpentine" that uses ram-proof obstacles in order to force a vehicle to slow before approaching the gate. Water fillable barriers are usually sufficient for his purpose. Force vehicles to use the gate by renting a backhoe for a day and digging a sufficiently deep and wide ditch (less than you'd think)

End result: Any approaching vehicles are forced to enter through a single point, do so on your terms, and approach in a way that guarantees you know they're there before they can actually get past the access point. Additional hardening such as electric fencing on the gate isn't a bad idea. In a Really bad situation you can consider hardening the access point even further using some techniques from FM 5-31 (Chapter 3).

Last edited:

Easy_C

Crow
"Life Support", aka sanitation, food, and shelter :

Why is this a security and defense consideration? Because if this isn't set up you have a bigger social footprint, need to travel more into towns, and will be inviting help over. Each of these things dramatically increases your odds of being in a bad situation and reduces the duration of which you can survive without access to outside resources.

Where you're trying to get to: your basic quality of living needs are met. You've got water and food and a way to cook it, you've got a place to take a shit without making yourself sick, and you have protection from the extremes of heat and cold.

This is the only item on this lest where your average Rural American is at a significant advantage over your typical third world villager. You're almost certainly going to have a working septic system that will last you for quite some time, some form of climate control, and it's much, MUCH easier to obtain both food that's good for long term storage and accessories for storing and preserving it. Growing is also much easier in most of the US than it is in many other parts of the world.

Your most pressing need is water. Most rural households have a well already which is good. I'll get to that. However, make sure you have a second well that can be hand operated in an emergency OR you have access to surface water and a means to filter it. They can drink straight out a stream and be fine. Americans generally can not because are immune systems aren't trained to do that. Food has already been covered a lot here so I have little to add.

Next step is to make sure you have more primitive back up system. Swamp coolers can effectively cool you off and require a small fraction of the energy needed to power an A/C unit (and no Freon requirements). For septic know how deep a pit you need to dig for a trench and how to make that sanitary. There's a myriad ways to handle cooking that don't require power.

Easy_C

Crow
Communications

This is a big one. You need to be able to hail or inform people in the event something happens, and this allows intel to be shared. This way you'll know when protests occur, if something is headed your way, and if anything is happening in areas you need to travel to. Participating in AMCON's intel forum has already helped me because it allowed me to alter a travel route to avoid a city where ANTIFA was planning a highway shut down.

Here's a couple of things to consider. 1:You're at the mercy of the service provider for any network based services. 2: One of the things we're seeing from the more organized ANTIFA protests or "raids" in rural areas is that they're disrupting cell phone service with jamming equipment. Don't count on your mobile phone. 3: You don't have encryption. Anything you use except a solid internet connection is a party line.

Our overseas solution: We set up encrypted radio communication, with solar-powered charging stations that communicated with the HQ's base station. Keep in mind we were dealing with an extremely primitive environment.

As you may have noticed, my post indicates that individual lines of communication can be jammed. You need a multi-layered solution. Identify local HAM radio relays (there's civilian operated networks along many major highways, for example) and purchase whatever radio you need to be able to participate in it. Additionally, some combination of a burner phone, land line, and satellite internet are good to have depending on finances/logistics.

Easy_C

Crow
Power

Adjust to fit. I recommend Solar as much as is feasible because it does not require you to store fuel or continually replenish fuel. In any contingency situation getting fuel is difficult for government actors with about half the supply being stolen before it reaches them. Imagine how much harder it's going to be for random civvies to get fuel. Generator maintenance is a consideration too because parts can be hard to come by. It does work as a backup however.

Big one: At a minimum you need to be able to power your communications equipment. This should be your first and foremost consideration. It will make life much more tolerable if you are generating enough to power a few lights, a fan or two (or swamp cooler) and a pump for long enough to fill up your water containers.

Easy_C

Crow
Security Infrastructure

This ones a significantly more complicated topic and likely to garner the most attention. The long and short of it is that you are trying to create a situation where you have the advantage in any given shootout. Overseas we had specifications for wall and towers. For you that's not practical UNLESS you're operating a commune with a group of guys and have a central "core" living facility you can defend.

Do take the principles of that and focus on detection. You will want your main dwelling to be heavily defensible. There's a lot of good advice on the topic from people including one person I"ve posted about earlier (Mike Glover).

Having a good working/farm dog should be considered essential. One dirty little fact that the Spec Ops world doesn't like to advertise is that almost all of their fancy infiltration/exfiltration techniques are easily countered by the presence of a dog and more than a few stealthy operations have been busted because barking dogs alerted the target or observers. Not any dog: a good, well trained, outside dog like shepard breeds. Even if the dog gets shot you're up and alert by then.

Technology based solution have a convenience advantage but have drawbacks. One that intrigues me is that there's a new drone system where it uses a set of fairly robust sensors to detect movement at the borders of a property and will send a drone to buzz the source of the disruption.

From a kinetic perspective things get significantly more complicated. It's very difficult for me to provide meaningful advice to specific situations BUT my input here would be to read some military manuals on base defense or FOB defense and apply those lessons learned. You want to decide ahead of time where you're going to engage different avenues of approach from, at what point you fall back and where to, and what fortifications you want to put in place if threat levels change. Also consider when and how you would set up a defensible position. For example if you have sandbags handy to reinforce a wall/window covering the main access route you could use that method to set up a firing position. Terrain can play a major factor as well. If you're in the shadow of a hill that's a significant planning consideration (as it is if you're the one on top of the hill).

Short version: You want to create a defensive plan that funnels aggressors into an unfavorable position, protects you from return fire to the greatest extent possible, and will be resistant to small arms fire. T

Clint Emerson's books, like "100 Deadly Skills", are a must if you want to face the music, if the shit hits the fan. There are plenty of other very interesting books to read too, but I won't list them here.

I'm 49, and I only began practicing martial arts after a girlfriend dumped me, in December of 2018. I should have done that long ago. I practice Shinkyokushin since January 2019 and Yoseikan Budo (a lesser known martial art in which we use bokkens and other practice weapons) since January 2020.

My advice to younger readers? Start learning martials arts ASAP.

Johnny Rico

Woodpecker
Clint Emerson's books, like "100 Deadly Skills", are a must if you want to face the music, if the shit hits the fan. There are plenty of other very interesting books to read too, but I won't list them here.

I'm 49, and I only began practicing martial arts after a girlfriend dumped me, in December of 2018. I should have done that long ago. I practice Shinkyokushin since January 2019 and Yoseikan Budo (a lesser known martial art in which we use bokkens and other practice weapons) since January 2020.

My advice to younger readers? Start learning martials arts ASAP.
Where? Everything is shut down.