Pinephone - A Linux smartphone

acco

Kingfisher

The PinePhone features six switches that can be used to configure its hardware.

I myself have never used a smartphone before,
but there are moments when this device can be quite useful.

After watching this video,
I would now like to buy this Pinephone (150 bucks is a nice price)
and install Debian-Phosh as well (or Mint).
However, the device is currently not available.

Has anyone already had experience with it?
Will the device be available again soon?

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member
I've been looking for a Linux-based mobile phone as well.

Has anyone already had experience with it?
No. Ironically, I was planning on buying a "Community Edition: UBPorts" PinePhone. Problem is, it's Ubuntu-based. Personally, I dislike Ubuntu.

Will the device be available again soon?
I honestly don't know when the device will be available soon. From what I gathered, it still seems like PinePhone is under development.

Unrelated, but related to Linux-based mobile phone...

If you are based in Europe, check out SailfishOS.

Recommended Online Store

I was planning on getting a SailfishOS. Problem is, it isn't available in North America. Currently looking to buy a Pixel 3 XL phone to install GrapheneOS.

bucky

Ostrich
Looks great. Also, seems like the kind of thing the powers that be will want to suppress. In the US I'd imagine that all major carriers like AT+T, Version, T-Mobile will simply declare it unsupported on their networks if it ever comes out.

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member
Looks great. Also, seems like the kind of thing the powers that be will want to suppress. In the US I'd imagine that all major carriers like AT+T, Version, T-Mobile will simply declare it unsupported on their networks if it ever comes out.
Exactly. Any Linux-based smartphone will have difficulty trying to enter the mobile marketplace in North America. Europe's SailfishOS is a good example of this.

acco

Kingfisher
The guy in the video doesn't tell anything about connection problems to the mobile network.

Is SailfishOS a Linux? Does it have a terminal?

I dislike Ubuntu.
Use Debian instead.

seems like the kind of thing the powers that be will want to suppress.
Any Linux-based smartphone will have difficulty trying to enter the mobile marketplace in North America.
This is speculation, isn't it?

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member
Is SailfishOS a Linux?
Yes, it's Linux-based. It evolved from Nokia N9's Linux MeeGo.

Does it have a terminal?
Yes, if you wish to install it.

This is speculation, isn't it?
I wish. Look at it this way: Silicon Valley has tremendous power and control over online payment processors.

This old Reddit post confirmed my suspicion regarding online payment processor(s) that SailfishOS had trouble with when they were trying to enter the North America marketplace to market & sell their product. (I'm speculating, of course.)
Sailfish OS X will it be purchasable in the US?

Some of the comments on the older blog posts seem to indicate it was a question of when not if; and seemed to imply it was mostly about finding a US friendly credit card processor.

Now the comments on the most recent blog seem more iffy.

Should I cancel the Xperia X I just ordered?

rydare
They just posted this blog entry a couple days ago. I'm in Canada, so I posted a comment asking if sales for US & Canada had been worked out.

Here's the response from James Noori, who appears to be a Jolla employee:
Hello.
Unfortunately I’ll have to inform you that on sales start day we will not have availability for US and Canada markets.

When someone asked if it was just due to credit card processing, James responded:
Your concerns are understood, but there is more to it than just payment issues (which we thought at first that it only was that) but at least for the first release we won’t have the availability for USA and Canada market. No promises for later releases either but we will definitely work on the issues.

Pretty disappointing!

[deleted]
Well, shit. Why does it seem like no alternative hardware or software provider wants dollars of any kind? Like, if they wanted it badly enough, surely they could put the work into figuring it out. I wonder if it has something to do with licensing codecs or software patents that have a higher risk of being enforced in North America.

Remember the various online processors banned Roosh from selling his books? When SailfishOS was having trouble finding a "friendly" online processor in North America, it had to come from Silicon Valley's powerful people to block a small Finnish company from entering the mobile marketplace.

No wonder Russian government prefers SailfishOS mobile phones.

Last edited:

acco

Kingfisher
Sailfish OS X will it be purchasable...
Why should I buy an OS if I can have debian-phosh for free?

Anyway, I will keep an eye on Pinephone and its disposability.
Other smartphones don't have those hardware switches, right?

I can wait ...

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member
Why should I buy an OS if I can have debian-phosh for free?

1. Software & security updates; stable OS. Developers have to make a living.
2. "Free" software sounds great as long as the developer continues to push out latest security updates and other bug fixes to ensure OS is stable.

debeguiled

Peacock
Gold Member
My dream in life is to own only one electronic device, a smartphone with a low resource Linux desktop distro on it. I could connect to keyboard and monitor as needed.

For this reason alone it will never happen.

I would be better off wishing for Kona to start xeriscaping, manscaping, and founding a whites only chapter of Peta.

Kona

Crow
Gold Member
My dream in life is to own only one electronic device, a smartphone with a low resource Linux desktop distro on it. I could connect to keyboard and monitor as needed.

For this reason alone it will never happen.

I would be better off wishing for Kona to start xeriscaping, manscaping, and founding a whites only chapter of Peta.
I hope all of your dreams come true.

Aloha!

Stadtaffe

Sparrow
Gold Member
I have a lot of experience tinkering with the Nokia N9 and the Jolla 1, and have written them off as a waste of time. The Nokia N9 is a truly beautiful device, the look, the feel the way it rings, but work on the Meego operating system and apps was sadly chopped off by Nokia managers. I remember having a running tracking app on Meego which worked very well, and without uploading my runs to endomondo. But meego was a total dead end, you could not install android apps on it, could not install symbian apps on it, and if you are just trying to get on with your business and personal life, it might be fun to own an N9 for a few months but it's idiosyncracies and limitations will wear thin after that. So I did try to install sailfish on the N9, but it is not really usable. Then I got a Jolla 1, which is hardware built for sailfish. Remember on a trip to the US was disappointed despite it being a 4G phone that it would not connect at all. Anyway, it is rather buggy anyway, there is the Jolla store with sailfish apps and an android emulator thing which lets you install android apps on it. Actually, was really impressed by something android I put on it and how well it ran. In addition to the Jolla store for native sailfish apps, there is the 'storeman' or 'warehouse' store from https://openrepos.net/ These apps are more from grass roots programmers which is cool, some only half work but is cool to have an area in the phone where you can test experimental apps.

After that trip to the US years ago where the Jolla 1 did not work, I packed it away and forgot about it, but then a few months ago got it out to see if the OS has moved forward. It now has version 3 of sailfish OS on it, which is the most it can have, and I was rather in disbelief that there is no native matrix client for the sailfish OS. How can it take itself seriously as an open source and privacy focused device..

I remember the early marketing for sailfish, tatooed software developers.. Sailfish was founded by those who lost their jobs at Nokia but were still passionate about the meego project. Still, they have managed to annoy and disappoint their funders, both crowd campaigns and investors! They are somehow just aiming a bit in the wrong direction IMHO, rebels without a cause, possibly even left wing anarchists, who knows. Long story short - don't get excited about sailfish, save yourself the bother. I wish that was not the case but it is buggy and the people who steer it are not thinking quite right.

That being said, I have not tested their latest iteration Sailfish X which requires a Sony device. Maybe they have redeemed themselves..

I have ordered a Pinephone, the first set sold out really quickly. Those kill switches are really cool. The first batch of pinephones sold out really quickly. There is another linux smartphone from Purism on the market but it is a bit too pricey..

debeguiled

Peacock
Gold Member
From all the reviews, Pinephone and the Librem one are hopeless for anyone but a Linux hobbyist at the moment.

I saw this laptop, the One-Netbook A1 (https://www.1netbook.com/one-netbook-a1/) and thought about coming at it from a different direction. It is a 7 inch screened laptop that is barely over a pound with an Ethernet port and full VGA port. As close to a pocket laptop as you can get, and it supports Linux as well as converts to a tablet.

If you don't live on your phone or computer, you could do all your calling, computing and tablet-ting from one device and ditch everything else. If you need a full size device, you could plug this into any old screen or tv, and borrow any old keyboard. And if you are paranoid like me, you can plug into Ethernet and not worry about insecure networks.

Basically, rather than try to get a full Linux distribution on a phone, just get a really small computer.

Some inconveniences but it would be a dream to only worry about one device, and one operating system.