Pinephone - A Linux smartphone

kel

Ostrich
I'm not yet at the point of worrying about open source hardware, although it is bothersome that there has been a dubious part of the Intel chips since 2008. That laptop and possibly the purism one have deactivated it.

Nor I, but if a company sells a laptop with Linux installed I like to give them the economic support/signal that that is appreciated, even though the first thing I do is reinstall of course. I bought Dell XPS 13s for years for just that reason but the last few I've bought have had problems and I'd rather give my money to a small company anyways if possible, so next one will be a Purism or maybe this. Thanks!

Stadtaffe

Woodpecker
Gold Member
@kel yes I get it, reinstall to get your preferred distro, language, desktop.. I

I wanted to share in this shred some renewed passion about how much sailfish sucks. So I happened to have a WiFi handy, and there was not so much space on my main phone and I wanted to download some podcasts so I pulled out the Jolla 1. Noticed there was a new OS update available so let that one go on, Sailfish 3.4.0. Then tried the Jolla store, warehouse for a sailfish native podacsting app WHICH WORKS, no real luck:
IMG_20201027_173159.jpg

IMG_20201027_173344.jpgIMG_20201027_173159.jpgIMG_20201027_173344.jpg

Happy hacking! There'll be no time left to actually listen to a podcast.

I like Finland, you know, Marimekko, Aki Kaurismäki but... ;)

Also tried the F-Droid store which normally works but a bug and AntennaPod would not install

epps_1920

Pigeon
I bought the Ubuntu touch initial release, installed Debian which is a lot better, though the phone probably needs another year of development before becoming a daily driver IMO.

skullmask

Woodpecker
My KDE Community edition PinePhone just arrived. So far it looks like a dumpster fire but it's still installing updates right now.

It comes with a pretty sweet looking accessory adapter though. In theory you could plug a keyboard mouse and monitor into it and use it like a normal desktop PC.

epps_1920

Pigeon
My KDE Community edition PinePhone just arrived. So far it looks like a dumpster fire but it's still installing updates right now.

It comes with a pretty sweet looking accessory adapter though. In theory you could plug a keyboard mouse and monitor into it and use it like a normal desktop PC.
I'm frustrated because I love the concept, but the phone is simply underpowered for starters. I'm still remaining optimistic, but it's just an experiment right now. I'm interested in seeing what gab does with the phone they are developing.

I have been using a Nexus 5 with an Ubuntu Touch OS and it has been great. However, I only really use it for texting and email but I also firmly believe that this is all a phone SHOULD be used for. The actual phone was only about $50 and the OS is free. You'll need to do a bit of research to figure out how to install it but once it's in, it works great. The best part, from my perspective, is that if you are careful the phone will be completely anonymous (except for your actual cell account, of course) since you don't need to provide an Apple or Google account to use it like you do with IOS and Android phones. Anyways, perhaps it was bad form to post this on this topic but it seemed like it was relevant given the Linux angle.

Last edited:

The Beast1

Peacock
Gold Member
If this phone is appealing, I would also suggest taking a look at the fxtec pro 1.

It's a keyboard slider phone similar to the Droid of old. There are several community Linux builds for sailfish and Ubuntu. Of course, stock android also exists.

It even supports all us carriers, including Verizon. Though, the caveat is that technically the phone isn't certified for volte. So you need a mule phone to activate first before you swap over. There are instructions on the forum.

skullmask

Woodpecker
I've heard good things about Graphene OS but it looks like they concentrate their support on Pixel phones from 3 and up.

I ditched the preloaded OS that came with my phone (KDE Plasma/Manjaro) and tried a few others. Mobian seemed to have display issues preventing me from seeing all of the window in many apps. Now I'm running ArchLinux / Phosh and it seems to be the best so far. Battery power consumption when on seems rather high and figuring out that is next on my todo list.

I would not recommend a pinephone for use as a phone right now. It still feels like an alpha product. The supplied USB cable also feels very cheap and doesn't sit securely in the USB-C port.

Bird

Kingfisher
If this phone is appealing, I would also suggest taking a look at the fxtec pro 1.

$729.00 USD :oops:

https://store.fxtec.com/product/fxtec-pro1

I ditched the preloaded OS that came with my phone (KDE Plasma/Manjaro) and tried a few others. Mobian seemed to have display issues preventing me from seeing all of the window in many apps. Now I'm running ArchLinux / Phosh and it seems to be the best so far.

Pinephone (150 bucks is a nice price)
and install Debian-Phosh as well (or Mint).

Last edited:

PaulC

Robin
I've considered going back to a landline, as I lived most of my life without a cellular phone. The problem is that in our old high-trust society, if you broke down you could always walk to someone's home to use their phone. Nowadays very few people want strangers in their yard, let alone inside their home to use the telephone.

I'm skeptical of a Linux phone. There are other parts within the phone that aren't open source.

I'll echo an earlier sentiment that even if it were to take off the major carriers could be obliged to shut down the competition.

skullmask

Woodpecker
I'm skeptical of a Linux phone. There are other parts within the phone that aren't open source.

I'll echo an earlier sentiment that even if it were to take off the major carriers could be obliged to shut down the competition.

Yes, there's always that threat. But I'm still gonna keep looking for ways to decouple as much as possible from the tech oligarchs. They haven't done so yet, and I've verified the phone I bought is capable of at least sending text messages. I was able to swap the sim out of my Pixel phone over to the pinephone and it worked. Not very well but it worked...

epps_1920

Pigeon
I flashed Arch on my phone over the weekend. It's probably the best OS yet, in my opinion - browser is the fastest, texting works, calling sort of works. Though most store apps aren't optimized for the phone yet. Anyway I figure I'll be using my pixel lineage phone for a good while as the slow development progresses.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I flashed Arch on my phone over the weekend. It's probably the best OS yet, in my opinion - browser is the fastest, texting works, calling sort of works. Though most store apps aren't optimized for the phone yet. Anyway I figure I'll be using my pixel lineage phone for a good while as the slow development progresses.
Have you tried GrapheneOS?

epps_1920

Pigeon
Oh no, that sounds stressful. Do you think that is Arch or Pinephone in general?

I am in posession of a Pinephone but after having an initial play with it I decided for now to not risk a long, addictive episode with it.
These first batches are simply beta phones for developers, though they are fun play with and see possibly what they could be in two or so years after all the bugs are worked out. Truthfully I'm amazed mine works at all with Verzion.

AFAIK the wireless radio is mandatory to be able to remote upload software. Whatever phone you have the wireless subsystem will always be suspectible for remote hacking (Pine documents this problem - I think their team is honest). It could be enough for a regular privacy aware man - definitely better than plain Android. But if you want something really safe then buy a used laptop and remove the wireless hardware. Then connect the laptop to the net through Ethernet. If you have to use mobile net then use some 3G->Ethernet converter.

Bird

Kingfisher
I would need to view documents soon and photograph them.
Since I've never owned a smartphone, I don't know if it can be used to scan documents in legible quality (possibly for later OCR processing).

The number of pages could be several hundred which raises the question of sufficient storage capacity.

Could someone of you dear Pinephone owners print out the attached sheet, photograph it (the whole sheet please) and upload it as an image?