Pinephone - A Linux smartphone

Joseph-Schumpeter

Pigeon
Orthodox Catechumen
I was trying to find a phone for my wife who wanted to get off the google.

I tried the pinephone64, but I didn't realize that it doesn't really work.. It's sort of a cool toy to tinker with, but certainly not a daily driver for the wife.

Next up was a moto G6 (or something like that) which I installed LineageOS on. This worked. You can add the Google Play store to it and actually get apps that way, but I didn't add that. It forced her to use the browser on the phone the phone for everything instead of apps. This was a step up from a mostly non-functional pinephone or a fully spyware device (android proper). She dropped this in the dishwater though and it was not recoverable.

Next up was a Google Pixel 3 phone (I think it was a 3). Anyway, per GrapheneOS' website, it's the oldest/cheapest hardware that GrapheneOS says it will run. She's been on this one for a while and likes it. Same sort of deal except no google play store option and the security hardening for this OS gets most of the developers' attention from what I can tell (which is a good thing).
I know what you might be thinking.. wait.. a Google Pixel phone to de-google?.. sound fishy.. I know. Graphene only officially runs on those and strangely enough, these are the easiest hardware to de-google.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I'm way too woke to use a smartphone at all. I gave it up a few years ago and go with a simple, dumb flip phone, and most days I don't even look at it until after work to see if one of my family members texted or called.
Anything personal or sensitive should not go in a phone, imho. (I'm a security-focused technologist for wagie bux, but what do I know)

inthefade

Robin
Orthodox Inquirer
Next up was a Google Pixel 3 phone (I think it was a 3). Anyway, per GrapheneOS' website, it's the oldest/cheapest hardware that GrapheneOS says it will run. She's been on this one for a while and likes it. Same sort of deal except no google play store option and the security hardening for this OS gets most of the developers' attention from what I can tell (which is a good thing).
I know what you might be thinking.. wait.. a Google Pixel phone to de-google?.. sound fishy.. I know. Graphene only officially runs on those and strangely enough, these are the easiest hardware to de-google.
I have a pixel 3 with no google software on it. It's one of the few phones available that aren't ridiculous tablet size and they are CHEAP. I prefer lineageos myself.

If you want *SOME* play store support, you can install microg services and aurora store. The aurora store is interesting since you can technically download your paid apps and still install them.

Pinephone is cool as a testing device. I LOVE the hard switches for everything.

Last edited:

Magnus Stout

Robin
Orthodox
Pinephone user as well, running SXMO. No more Google or Apple for me. The modem-to-software instability is still annoying. Calling works perfectly, so that is Plan B if I don't respond to texts.

Looking forward to Wayland SXMO....