Plants in the house and bedroom

fiasco360

Kingfisher
I actually don't know too much about this subject but I would like to start a conversation about this.

Does anyone attest to noticing any benefits of having plants inside your house/bedroom? I've been thinking about this a lot lately.

I've done a duckduckgo search on the benefits and such but would like to hear first hand experiences here.

-Are most not pet friendly?
-Any noticeable effects for people?
-Any plants to avoid in partciular?
-Top 5 list?

ilostabet

Pelican
Dieffenbachias are poisonous - so leave out of reach of children and pets. Some others are in this category, there's plenty of info online about them.

As for having plants inside in general, there are many benefits, the primary is that they cancel out the demons coming from all the technology we have around.

For recommendations, it depends on the amount of light and humidity you have in each room (and average temperature). If you have direct sunlight you can even have small trees (bonsai), which are particularly good.

Snake plants are really nice to have in the bedroom because they produce oxygen at night. Snake plants also clean the air and they are very hard to kill. I recommend buying a small snake plant and giving it a shot. A small one shouldn't run you more than thirty bucks.

I've read that having plants is good for your mindset. Adding plants to my home has been enjoyable and they look nice.

Mr.S

Chicken
Plants are good because they lower the CO2 levels in the room. Now don’t worry I’m not about to preach climate alarmism - but CO2 does have an impact on human cognition. The outdoor CO2 level is about 400 ppm which is not a problem. Past 1,000 ppm you start to feel tired, at 1,200 ppm there is a measurable decline in cognition (your brain slows down, you forget things, you have a foggy mind), up towards 2,000 ppm you feel tired, have headaches, and blurry vision.

You can expect most buildings to have CO2 levels in excess of 1,000 ppm - it’s very common. If you sleep with the bedroom door closed in a small room you can easily exceed that overnight. I think 5,000 ppm is unconsciousness.

In summary, carbon dioxide is bad for your mental operation. Plants help fix that, they convert carbon dioxide to oxygen. If you’ve noticed, a lot of offices in big corporations have plants in them which is good for the air quality. I would pick plants from many of these “top 20” lists on DuckDuckGo based on how easy it is to keep them alive.

Laner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Its nice to have to care for living things in your home. I have always had house plants since my first memories as my mom is a farmer and can loves to grow things.

We don't really put too much thought into which plants we have, but my wife takes good care to have them placed in thoughtful locations. Interestingly, my very old corn plant has bloomed 3 times in the six years my son has been born, and its in his room. The aroma of its evening flowering is amazing.

I have taken many orphaned plants over the years when friends move away, and they then become almost an attachment to my time with them. Caring for their old plant and watching it grow is a great way to remember them, especially when it comes time to prune or clean them.

I actually just finished a very expensive project for a client who put 24 plants into their award winning and quite famous studio. They brought in a plant consultant who went over things like a scientist. It was a fascinating experience and really showed me how useful and important plants are to your everyday life.

Salocin

Robin
Snake plants are really nice to have in the bedroom because they produce oxygen at night. Snake plants also clean the air and they are very hard to kill. I recommend buying a small snake plant and giving it a shot. A small one shouldn't run you more than thirty bucks.

I've read that having plants is good for your mindset. Adding plants to my home has been enjoyable and they look nice.
Your reply inspired me to buy a Snake Plant today. The plant, ceramic pot, and Miracle Grow all together added up to about $30 from Lowe's. Thanks!

Your reply inspired me to buy a Snake Plant today. The plant, ceramic pot, and Miracle Grow all together added up to about $30 from Lowe's. Thanks!
Cool. I hope you enjoy the plant. It is sometimes called Mother Inlaws Tongue haha.
I've heard that when you bring a new plant home you should hold off on applying Miracle Grow for a while. Apparently it can shock the plant while it adjusts to a new environment. That might be overthinking it though.
Be careful not to overwater your new plant. I killed my first Snake Plant by overwatering it. Thirty bucks out the window but learning to garden and maintain plants has a learning curve for a newbie like me.

Salocin

Robin
Cool. I hope you enjoy the plant. It is sometimes called Mother Inlaws Tongue haha.
I've heard that when you bring a new plant home you should hold off on applying Miracle Grow for a while. Apparently it can shock the plant while it adjusts to a new environment. That might be overthinking it though.
Be careful not to overwater your new plant. I killed my first Snake Plant by overwatering it. Thirty bucks out the window but learning to garden and maintain plants has a learning curve for a newbie like me.
Thanks for the tips.

The Miracle Grow was just the brand of potting soil. It apparently has some fertilizer in it as well. It was also specifically for indoor plants. There were other types for different applications.

What is your schedule for watering? I read that a good rule of thumb is only when the top inch of soil is dry to rewater.

Drainage is apparently also very important. I filled the bottom of the pot, above the drainage hole with a layer of rock. Supposedly this helps to drain excess water from the pot by preventing the hole from getting clogged with soil.

Thanks for the tips.

The Miracle Grow was just the brand of potting soil. It apparently has some fertilizer in it as well. It was also specifically for indoor plants. There were other types for different applications.

What is your schedule for watering? I read that a good rule of thumb is only when the top inch of soil is dry to rewater.

Drainage is apparently also very important. I filled the bottom of the pot, above the drainage hole with a layer of rock. Supposedly this helps to drain excess water from the pot by preventing the hole from getting clogged with soil.
I water the plant every ten days give or take a few days. You are right on with adding a layer of rock.