Plastics in food and the environment

Roosh

Cardinal
It turns out that plastic teabags (they're not all paper) leaves plastic in your hot tea.
A cup of tea may be a cure for rainy days, but the soothing cup of the brewed beverage may also come with a dose of micro- and nano-sized plastics shed from plastic bags, according to researchers at McGill University. While the possible health effects of ingesting these particles are currently unknown, the new research published in the American Chemical Society journal Environmental Science & Technology suggests further investigation is needed.

Over time, plastic breaks down into tiny microplastics and even smaller nanoplastics, the latter being less than 100 nanometers (nm) in size (a human hair has a diameter of about 75,000 nm). While scientists have previously detected microplastics in the environment, tap and bottled waters and some foods, McGill Professor of Chemical Engineering Nathalie Tufenkji and colleagues wondered whether recently introduced plastic teabags could be releasing micro- and nanoplastics into beverages during brewing.

To conduct their analysis, the researchers purchased four different commercial teas packaged in plastic teabags. The researchers cut open the bags and removed the tea leaves so that they wouldn’t interfere with the analysis. Then, they heated the emptied teabags in water to simulate brewing tea. Using electron microscopy, the team found that a single plastic teabag at brewing temperature released about 11.6 billion microplastic and 3.1 billion nanoplastic particles into the water. These levels were thousands of times higher than those reported previously in other foods.

pitbullowner

Kingfisher
Wait what ?

Most of the tea bags I use are with paper filters .

on the other hand though I mostly only by Lipton or luzianne tea for sweet tea.

But that sucks... I was not knowledgeable about tea bags having plastic containers.

kel

Kingfisher
Which are the plastic ones? I've seen the pyramid teabags that felt kinda plastic-y, or is there plastic in the classic teabags that are like stapled coffee filters?

pitbullowner

Kingfisher
I use loose leaf tea with an infuser. It's cheaper to buy in bulk, and it makes less trash. And now it appears to be the healthier option as well.
What store/website would you recommend. I'm trying to get away from coffee every morning and switch to tea. All I drink is just the standard black teas sweetened to the point of diabetic comatose levels but I'm open to becoming a bit of a connoisseur to substitute for good tasting teas.

What store/website would you recommend. I'm trying to get away from coffee every morning and switch to tea. All I drink is just the standard black teas sweetened to the point of diabetic comatose levels but I'm open to becoming a bit of a connoisseur to substitute for good tasting teas.
I get Vahdam brand Earl Grey from Amazon, but that's just habit. I haven't compared it to any other brands.

acco

Robin
I also try to reduce my coffee consumption, but tea bags are not an option. As far as I know, these bags also contain aromatic substances, so loose tea is definitely preferable.

I have found a first overview of varieties and accessories on this page:
loose-leaf - strainers-infusers

The question is, which of the tea varieties is suitable as a substitute for coffee drinkers?

RexImperator

Crow
Gold Member
I prefer the Russian style loose leaf tea myself. Ahmad Tea Ceylon Loose Leaf... very reasonably priced, too.