Playing video games over 30

Leaving the gym last night I overheard one of the guys there talking about he couldnt wait until the new NBA 2K videogame came out with all the new players on their new teams. I looked back assuming he was likely in college, but could tell he was easily in his late 30s.

What's everyone's thoughts on playing video games over 30?
Lame. I mean if you're a "gamer" that is. Picking up the xbox or playstation controller occasionally doesn't mean anything. But people that get that hype about vidya, are lame.
I say this as a former gaming addict myself.

kel

Ostrich
Too busy to find it now, but lookup a collection of battlestation pics from /v/ from a decade+ ago, you'll be shocked to see how some people live.

fireshark

Sparrow
I have a love / hate relationship with games. After age 30 they should really be a low priority in your life, and you should have a strict budget on how much you spend on them. However, I see nothing wrong with using it as an occasional escape / relaxation/ unwind tool. If one were to compare games with movies, the average Hollywood or similar movie is far more destructive to the mind than most games. I can't even make it through 10 minutes of most modern movies. They are pure filth. Games at least have more options and have not (yet) degraded to that level as a whole, though there are certainly very degenerate games out there.

I think that it depends on what the game is and how much you play them. I think that there are certain games which arent good for your soul or mind, such as GTA, which should be avoided. if you play an hour or so in a day then i dont think its a huge deal. if you are playing like 3 or more hours a day then you should cut back or stop playing them.

I have a love / hate relationship with games. After age 30 they should really be a low priority in your life, and you should have a strict budget on how much you spend on them. However, I see nothing wrong with using it as an occasional escape / relaxation/ unwind tool. If one were to compare games with movies, the average Hollywood or similar movie is far more destructive to the mind than most games. I can't even make it through 10 minutes of most modern movies. They are pure filth. Games at least have more options and have not (yet) degraded to that level as a whole, though there are certainly very degenerate games out there.

I agree. I posted a while ago that I got hooked into video games and I've been on and off with them since. I'm lucky I have more important commitments to handle.

I've heard of a guy years ago who's brother played 12 hours per day for years on end. That is sad and hopefully his brother kicked the addiction.

StSeb

Chicken
I have found that video games have had a negative impact on my life. Whenever I start regularly gaming it removes all my creativity. I spent whole summers in my teenage years playing Call of Duty. When I was 16 my PS3 broke and I could not buy another one. I had no idea how I would spend my evenings. Eventually I found productive things to do with my time, one being I spent every evening after school going to the gym where I developed a very lean and strong athletic build which helped me to excel highly in sports and gain confidence. I naturally become more social, and developed habits that I still have to this day.
Even during college whenever I dabbled in gaming I found the impact it had on my mentality to be very negative. For example when I would be walking my thoughts would be distorted, I would be thinking about how I could gain levels and progress in the game I was currently playing instead of something productive such as how I could improve in my sport/studies or listening to good sermons. I have fallen into a gaming 'hole' about 3-4 times over my 4 years of college and it usually takes me two weeks to snap out of it. When I do snap out of it I find my workouts are greatly improved, I am more social, I spend my free time improving my programming skills and I feel closer to God.
I have come to the conclusion that I simply cannot indulge in gaming, no matter how little time I spend doing it because of the psychological effects it has on me.