Post about a manly thing you did today

AneroidOcean

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Not tonight but, cooked up two types of wild game that my friend and I caught along with a juicy steak and veggies. Talked about competition, hunting, and laughed at women and the world. A meal that at a restaurant would've cost us 50 to 100 dollars each but which we spent nothing on but fuel/time and gained us experiences and knowledge that will last us a lifetime and be passed on to the next generation. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Dulceácido

Ostrich
Yesterday I had something weird happen in the gym... I was nearing the end of my workout so I was working my core, 3rd set of planks... I was feeling strong, first two sets I did for 3 minutes, which the second was easier than the first, so I thought I'd try for 4 minutes on the last set. I knew it'd be hard, so I cleared my mind to, as they say, "go to my happy place." Got into position and set the timer and closed my eyes, listening to a tune and focusing solely on that. Figured I'd look at the timer when it started to get difficult. I zoned out completely.

Then, after a while, I started thinking someone was watching me (not uncommon for me, being all hyper-vigilant). I let the thought run its course, told myself I was at the gym and I was safe, tried to focus on the song... The same intrusive thought came again, so I suppressed it again. Then a third time it came and I started to also notice my abs becoming uncomfortable and my body starting to quiver. Then my mind really started racing like mad and I became very, physically, uncomfortable. I opened my eyes and the people who were working out next to me had all stopped and were friggin' watching me. I thought, "Wtf is this?" Then I looked at the timer on my phone:

8:33.12

heavy

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Going to help a guy with his remodel later, mostly finish some rough carpentry stuff. I went and helped him on Sunday, so this is just continuing the work. Nice to get some productive labor in after working at a desk job all day.
- Pull up 3/4 hardwood top floor from what will be the utility room. Then pull up parts of the sub-floor (also 3/4 hardwood) and replace with 3/4 osb for new (not busted up) sub-floor.
- Tear out old window and reinforce the part of the window that would become wall. Me and him jacked up the 2nd floor joists in one room that wasn't properly supported by a header on an exterior wall. Jammed in an LVL header to support the joist and provide frame for new window (the window we'd removed). The joist still drooped, so he went and bought a couple 2x6s we'll double up to span the room tonight.
- Will probably help him run a bunch of electrical and install new windows.

I'm just starting to get into helping guys remodel for some extra scratch. I'm quickly realizing what I've always known. In the remodel/contracting business, simply showing up on time and keeping moving (you know, working) can make extra cash. I'm already providing hours beyond what I make, but it'll come around. My longer term plan (possibly happening in the next few weeks) is to start bidding out my own work.

Either way, I'm getting experience with remodels and learning some things (even if it's simply not being afraid of remod projects).

Keep moving, keep moving, keep moving.

Started a fire in a fireplace using the top down method. The winds outside were howling at 20-30 MPH. Didn't need or use newspaper to get the chimney flow up and out.

Silver_Tube

Woodpecker
Gold Member
I bought a house! After my breakup a couple years ago (I had been living at her place for about a year), I spent a year in a depressing parental basement situation, saving up my money. Now I'm moving into my own place. The mortgage payment is lower than typical apartment rent in my city and I get a lot more space and freedom.

Feels good to be independent.

Kona

Crow
Gold Member
^^Feels good doesn't it! Congratulations my man!

Today I go in to Safeway to get a breakfast burrito. They tell me I can't get rice in it no more only potatoes. I'm like no way dude. I'll take my business else where. So guess what they put in the rice. Now they gonna call it the KONA burrito and sell it to everybody. I took this sales classes about overcoming objections and oh man it paid off.

Aloha!

Matsufubu

Pelican
Fixed the washing machine, even though it's a modern one with too many electronics and shitty plastic everywhere.

Get a 25 year old Bosch. Easy to fix.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
Sharpened my chainsaw to perfection with nothing but a file and guide plus a flat file. It cut like a lightsaber for the last tank and short of hitting something unpleasant will do so for the next tank too. Feels good, man. I always learn that time sharpening beats time cutting then I always forget and learn it again.

"Just a couple more rounds".
"Man this sucks. Just a couple more."
"Screw this. I'm buying a ducted heater next year."
*sharpen saw*
"This is great! I'm never going to cut with a blunt saw ever again!"

Repeat.

ilostabet

Pelican
"I always learn that time sharpening beats time cutting then I always forget and learn it again."

man, this sounds very familiar, I chuckled with embarrassment.

Tex Cruise

Kingfisher
Leonard D Neubache said:
Sharpened my chainsaw to perfection with nothing but a file and guide plus a flat file.
Pfft, guides are for pussies.
Nah, I've just got a file holder thing with 25 and 30 degrees scribed on it. Hold whichever is correct parallel with the bar and file away. I've seen men with massive grey beards and an expert eye use just a file before though.
The thing that took me years to learn the hard way was to not let my chain get so blunt in the first place. Once I learned to stop and sharpen it instead of cutting until the ute was full/it wouldn't cut any more, and to not waste time with a worn out file, my saw has been perfect.
My chain needs replacing now, I'll grab one in a few days, but it still cuts perfectly. The problem is that it's stretched to the point that there's no more adjustment left on the saw. There's still enough meat left on the teeth for a couple more sharpens if I could tighten it, but I'm happy to have had a chain cut sharp and straight until it needs replacing due to stretch rather than battling with it for most of the winter because of my poor sharpening and abuse.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
I'm pretty good with the angle on the more obvious x/y axis but the guide really helps me with the z axis or pitch or whatever you call it. I can just lay the guide flat along the tooth and get the correct up/down angle. I'm thinking about getting one of those big Stihl sharpeners that does your depth gauge at the same time, if for no other reason than it's a lot harder to lose.

Bluey

Woodpecker
Leonard D Neubache said:
I'm pretty good with the angle on the more obvious x/y axis but the guide really helps me with the z axis or pitch or whatever you call it. I can just lay the guide flat along the tooth and get the correct up/down angle. I'm thinking about getting one of those big Stihl sharpeners that does your depth gauge at the same time, if for no other reason than it's a lot harder to lose.
Depends a bit on the wood you're cutting too, been a long time since I did any forestry stuff. If you're doing softer wood a decent saw will hammer through it when it's sharp and takes a big bite. Good luck doing that with the hardwoods, though a mate and I stuck a smaller bar on a big saw with the depth gauges cut right down. Thing was a beast, but no good on anything bigger than about 50-60cm.

Long time ago a mate built a swing saw for the really big redgums that got struck by lightening and fell. That thing was deadly but did a hell of a job bringing the size down to what a chainsaw could handle.

Kona

Crow
Gold Member
I've been drinking but was still able to shoot this honking ass peacock in the head and torso from a vast distance. The damn thing has been a menace at 430 am for weeks. It started up a while ago and my training kicked in. I gave it a proper Islamic burial at sea just like we did with bin Laden.

Aloha!

debeguiled

Peacock
Gold Member
Kona said:
I've been drinking but was still able to shoot this honking ass peacock in the head and torso from a vast distance. The damn thing has been a menace at 430 am for weeks. It started up a while ago and my training kicked in. I gave it a proper Islamic burial at sea just like we did with bin Laden.

Aloha!
Well, since you've been drinking, and since even sober, spelling isn't your strong suit, please remember this thread is about a manly thing you did today, not about what you mainly did today.

Who the hell murders peacocks?

Rigsby

Pelican
Gold Member
Leonard D Neubache said:
Sharpened my chainsaw to perfection with nothing but a file

Fucking ladyboy!

Listen up son, let me show you how it's done...

[Diary of Rigsby in the year of our Lord 2019 - just before the third great war]

Got out of bed and had tea and crumpets.

Good start.

Sun belting through the blinds. One of the lasts days of summer. Today's gonna be a good one.

Filed my nails.

Not enough men do this. It's about the most manly thing you can do.

Pro-tip to all those young whippersnappers out there hoping to reel in a good girl for wifing up: a stray nail can be razor sharp, a female's clitoris can be super sensitive. Don't be that guy! Always maintain good nail game. Your prospective wives will thank you. It marks you out as a sensitive and considerate man, which is what they want. That and being fucked half-way to insanity and back. Don't confuse the two!

Sadly, my nail-trimming and filing regime was not to impress some young nubile as to my worth as a man. It was for the fact that I was about to change the strings on my guitar.

Leonard makes a big deal about sharpening his chainsaw. With nothing but a 'file'. We've all been there. But how many men can say they have changed the strings on their 'axe' and tuned the fucker up in less than an hour, without wearing protective gloves? Not many.

I put on my safety goggles. No one needs to lose an eye when those size 0.10's kick back and lash around like a halyard in a storm. Safety first. This is a dangerous pursuit.

I took my plyers and cut off all the strings.

Leonard likes to make out that he's big billy bollox with his sharpened (to perfection) chainsaw. But I'd wager that in the meantime he is neglecting to maintain his main tool - The Pliers -

[img=640x500]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/618F0OUOp8L._SL1500_.jpg[/img]

Every man needs a pair.

Sure, a chainsaw comes in handy now and again. But a good pair of pliers is for life!

Ok, a well maintained (and sharpened to perfection) chainsaw might impress the ladies of less rank, but a properly sharpened and well-oiled pair of 'pinchers' will always win the day among those that really know 'what time it is'.

Just sayin'...

Love the player, hate the game, Lenny!

So then I put on my new strings. 0.10 gauge.

It's a good job I put on my safety goggles coz I had a couple of 'snap-backs'. I might have just saved my eyesight by utilising this particular prophylactic.

I should have put on my safety gloves as well as I got a couple of little pricks on my fingers along the way, but hey, that's the way I roll. I just wiped the blood off and picked myself up again.

Quite nice strings. Cheapest on ebay I could find. 3 quid. Even gave you an extra 0.10 high E. Nice!

I bought a load of Ernie Ball Fat Bottoms Skinny Tops, and Slinkys. My preferred gauges. But I thought I'd check these out. Called 'Tiger' iirc.

I put some Lemon Oil on my fretboard, and it came up lovely.

This is the guitar I put it on:

Been having a bit of a new love affair with this guitar lately.

It's giving off that 'only guitar you will ever need' kind of vibe.

It cost a few hundred quid. Same price as an Epiphone clone of the 335. But I took a flyer on this little black beauty after buying another Revelation guitar (Jazzmaster) - ordering it on line. Was not disappoint, son.

It's got a couple of dodgy machine heads, but nothing that can't be overlooked. They just slip a bit sometimes when tuning, but they hold tune quite well. Very well in fact. Considering it's a 'Gibson' type headstock where it's notoriously noted for slippage on the strings and going out of tune, it does hold it together pretty good. Impressed.

I bought the guitar last year and realised I had not changed the factory default strings. So, chucked on those 3 quid wonders from ebay. Impressed again. Seem alright to me.

I'll buy those 'Tiger' strings again. It's only saving a couple of quid, but that soon adds up when you have a couple of dozen guitars. I still will only use my Ernie Balls for the serious stuff. It's like voodoo - don't want to mess with a winning formula. But for experimenting with different tunings on different guitars, these do the job ok.

Just make sure you wear your safety goggles. And rubber gloves! Can't be too careful.

It's one thing to polish your chainsaw 'to perfection' - it's a whole other ball game to restring your guitar to standard 'E' tuning.

A good set of pliers is all any real man really needs. Anything more than that is just 'showing off'. For poofs...

Leonard probably wears a lumberjack shirt as well when he is sharpening his chainsaw (to perfection). Seen it many times before.

Sad!

Unfortunately, the internet has become a place where many act out their innermost sexual fantasies 'on-line'. Leonard 'sharpening' his chainsaw is just one more case, I fear.

The more generous part of me likes to think he is 'speaking in metaphor'. If you will. But my blood runs cold when I think of this mad Tasmanian cuntsman wandering around with a finely sharpened (to perfection) petrol-driven tool.

Leonard D Neubache said:
Sharpened my chainsaw to perfection with nothing but a file

Hopefully this was just a cry for help and not a warning to wider society of what he is about to do!

Just remember to wear your safety goggles if you decide to go deep and indulge in a bit of 'wetwork', Lenny, old chap!

God speed!

Rigsby

Pelican
Gold Member
Kona said:

Aloha!

'Aloha' to the poor peacock as well!

Rigsby

Pelican
Gold Member
Anyway.

I did change the strings on my guitar, and it was a very 'manly' thing to do, for sure. But it was not the most 'manly' thing I did today. I will elucidate.

Went to the shop to pick up some groceries and some beers.

Sun was shining, weather was sweet, yeah...

(Made me want to move, my dancing feet)

It involved very intense personal feelings which I won't go in to here.

Just getting through. Picking up something to eat, a few beers. Life is good. God is great.

I get in to the shop, not many people about. There is this one stuck-up bitchy woman who is just in my way all the time (or am I in her way?). She's huffing and puffing.

I've seen her sort before. Entitled. You know.

We are the only two people in the shop but we manage to clash. Bit like that story that Geoff Thompson told about when he was bouncing in a nightclub at Christmas or something. And there was only two guys in the whole nightclub, and they managed to end up having a fight and beating the shit out of each other!

Ok, maybe not as bad as that...

I move to another part of the shop to get other stuff. Buying hand-soap, buying wipes. But yeah, she just appears out of nowhere. Fucking annoying.

I could see she was pissed off with me, being the only other person in the shop and spoiling her whole 'shopping experience'.

I grabbed my beers and beat her to the line. Well, there was just me and her and one person in front. This pissed her off as well. I cut in front of her in like 10 seconds. Boy she was boiling mad.

Now, this is for those of you that say I am bitter. Those that drink deep from my frustrations that I express, sometimes.

A little smile came on my face.

I had to get 'leccy' as well (electricity meter credit). Boy, she would go through the fucking roof. Especially as, my key is not working properly and it needs to be put through about 4/5 times before it works. She would explode!

Skinny little blonde bitch stuck-up middle class cunt!

My whole life flashes before my eyes.

She's still huffing and puffing, the stuck-up little skinny bitch.

I think about what matters. How people are so petty. That no one really takes the time to understand anyone anymore. That there are things we just don't realise...

I say to her: Would you like to go before me, I have a bit more shopping than you, but I need to get 'leccy' and I know it will take some time. You don't have much stuff - go on, jump in...

She was taken aback. All her hatred and anger turned to 'thank you very much - that is so kind of you'.

Then, and this is the kicker here, she asks the guy behind the counter for some painkillers. He fucks off to another part of the shop to pick them up, takes about 2/3 minutes. She says sorry to me again. She has a motherfucker of a headache apparently and that is why she is so 'antsy'. She didn't explicitly say that, but you get it...

Boy, was I glad I decided not to be a prick to her.

She is driving in the hot sun, with her young daughter with her (I saw her in the car when I got out of the shop - she just smiled at me) and she has a fucker of a headache. It all makes sense.

She turned from being a proper bitch to being the most grateful person in the world. All because of my taking the higher ground and doing the 'manly thing'. Felt good, mang!

She got her painkillers and the few groceries she was buying and she bundled them up in her arms. No idea why she didn't just buy a 10p bag to put them in, but hey, I think she was saving more time than money, if you know what I mean.

Her arms were full. There was no way she would be able to open the door of the shop! So, I tell her as she's bundling it all together: don't worry, I'll open the door for you to get out.

She tells me that I am the most 'supreme gentleman', and I tip my Fedora to her, fine skinny lady!

Moral of this story?

You are a man. Don't be a prick.

Consider others before you consider your own petty problems.

You don't know what the 'other guy' is going through, so give them the benefit of the doubt.

Whe I saw the little girl's face (her daughter), then I knew it was all worthwhile. She smiled at me without knowing I'd helped her mum out in some small kind of way.

Yeah, I'm a fucking hero. I know.

This lady had a bad fucking headache brought on by the beating sun. And she still had to keep it together to drive her and her daughter home. Picking up groceries was a major piss-off. But had to be done.

Such a small act of kindness on my part - to offer for her to go ahead of me in the queue. And then hold the door open for her on her way out.

Don't get me wrong. Bitches like that would cut my bollocks off quicker than you know what. I get it.

But sometimes, chivalry, just like virtue, is its own reward.

I would have gained nothing by being a prick in that situation.

On a deeper level, I helped her out a bit as she drove her young daughter home. Less chance of an accident.

It was a good day.

She melted in my arms, so to speak.

This is what it means to be a man.

The day will come again when men rule the world. It's the natural order of things. In the meantime, keep your composure.

Have compassion for those around you. And good grace.