Post-Coronavirus Business and Career thread

Government jobs.
Big corporate jobs that get plenty of funding from the globohomos.
Highly independent careers/businesses that don't rely on the bottom 70% having any disposable income.

John Silva said:
Trash collector.
Anyone working the critical infrastructure business of utilities will have job security for a long time. Municipal water districts need lines maintained, water treatment plants tested and repaired, etc. Power companies need substations and overhead and buried lines kept online. All utility companies are crucial and will be a good source of work for hardworking individuals. That being said, it wouldn't hurt to actually study the financial shape of the specific utility you wish to apply for, as some may be on shaky ground due to pensions, bond or credit issues, etc.

Dr. Howard

Peacock
Gold Member
personal services for seniors.

This crisis has shown us that seniors are not equipped digitally and are especially vulnerable. A business that acts as a middle man between seniors and digital services would be good as would any security, planning, online shopping assistant etc. that caters directly to them.

monsquid said:
Vladimir Poontang said:
Go through the yellow pages, and call a couple of companies in each industry and just ask them how they're doing. Even if it's not of any interest to you, it will give you an idea of what is still in demand. Then brainstorm.
Do they still print those?
I don't know, I haven't seen one in ages. But they have websites for all countries.

bacani said:
I've been thinking of having a little aquaculture fishing farm. We had a huge koi fish pond that hasn't been used in years. Been cleaning it up with some hired workers since last week. Looking into growing Tilapia in it on a small scale (compared to the big time farms). Thinking of selling it into local markets or restaurants. Don't care if it fails I love ocean life and eating seafood so it's a win-win regardless.

I really wanted to do shrimps or crabs, but the cost for them is tenfold. Not to mention they need more maintenance. Want to get my feet wet with the cheaper and less maintenance fish before I move into high maintenance fish.
I’ve had interest in building a self sustained farm. I’ve seen some videos where nothing is wasted. IIRC, fish water has nutrients and people circulate this to grow hydroponic vegetables. The key is not to waste anything. Then man can be really self sufficient. Fish scraps feed the cats, that keep rodents out. Leftover vegetables feed the goats. Goats make milk and you can make cheese. I’m just not sure what you feed the fish from the farm. Worms?

It seems what America is doing to try and keep everything afloat will be inflationary. How do you battle that? Gold and real estate? Anyone go through stagflation and hyperinflation in America? I think it was the 1980s. Right? Thanks.

kel

Kingfisher
Takeachance said:
I’m just not sure what you feed the fish from the farm. Worms?
Compost leftovers and collect the black soldier fly larvae. Chickens love them, too.

kel said:
Takeachance said:
I’m just not sure what you feed the fish from the farm. Worms?
Compost leftovers and collect the black soldier fly larvae. Chickens love them, too.
Thank you. So it is possible to make this happen. Problem is weather. You probably need to be in a reasonable temperature to make this work. Tiring this in Alaska might have some issues. But I am fascinated by it.

Takeachance said:
bacani said:
I've been thinking of having a little aquaculture fishing farm. We had a huge koi fish pond that hasn't been used in years. Been cleaning it up with some hired workers since last week. Looking into growing Tilapia in it on a small scale (compared to the big time farms). Thinking of selling it into local markets or restaurants. Don't care if it fails I love ocean life and eating seafood so it's a win-win regardless.

I really wanted to do shrimps or crabs, but the cost for them is tenfold. Not to mention they need more maintenance. Want to get my feet wet with the cheaper and less maintenance fish before I move into high maintenance fish.
I’ve had interest in building a self sustained farm. I’ve seen some videos where nothing is wasted. IIRC, fish water has nutrients and people circulate this to grow hydroponic vegetables. The key is not to waste anything. Then man can be really self sufficient. Fish scraps feed the cats, that keep rodents out. Leftover vegetables feed the goats. Goats make milk and you can make cheese. I’m just not sure what you feed the fish from the farm. Worms?
Just reading what you wrote was very interesting. This could be something.

qwertyuiop

Woodpecker
Easy_C said:
Worth noting that IT is a double-edged sword.

A lot of expansion/investment spending can be cut off quickly. People who are good at managing basic business software functions (like people who can keep a large ERP system running and do "firefighter" work well) will be in good shape for the foreseeable future.

Worth noting is I got a very good idea from one of my old PUA buddies. The dude's normally kind of a bum but he had an excellent idea to leverage his citizenship and security clearance combined with IT. If you have a security clearance and ERP/IT skills you are not competing with the H1Bs. The H1Bs can't get security clearances and will never be in direct competition for your job as a result.
I work in tech sales and would personally look at managing some large infrastructure for a company (servicenow, salesforce, ERP systems, etc) if you are looking for job security.. The company needs you (especially large companies) and would be screwed internally since no one really knows it as well as you do.

sonoran_

Kingfisher
Gold Member
The government of Ontario released a list of businesses that are considered essential therefore allowing to stay open. The list seems to include a lot of seemingly "non-essential" businesses in my opinion but it can provide a good basis in doing research for recession proof business ideas for the hustlers here.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/list-essential-workplaces

Using common sense and some research skills to disregard some of the services listed here should give you plenty of options to consider.

king bast

Woodpecker
Takeachance said:
bacani said:

I started making this small aquaponics setup a few months ago.

The reason it has taken so long is because you need to get the fish/grow media ratio just right - too little fish and there is not enough nitrates to feed the plants, too many and the grow media can't filter enough of it and the fish die.

I've been slowly adding fish until I see the growth of the plants starting to take off, and I seem to have got the balance just about right now, and they are starting to grow great, especially the leafy greens.

I had no background in this, I just watched some youtube videos and experimented, and I'm glad I did because you can support a lot higher density of plants than regular soil gardening. So long as the fish/grow media ratio is right and you have a sufficiently powerful water pump, you can scale these up really well.

The only problem I have now is that I use an AC water pump, so if the power goes out, it all falls down. I'd like to get DC pump(s), battery and solar charger to keep it going indefinitely, but the outlay on that equipment would be significantly more than what I spent on the rest of the setup.

Attachments

pitbullowner

Kingfisher
nomadbrah said:
I don't want to negative, but I think anti-western sentiment will explode in Asia.

What we can hope for, is that we can make our own countries more like Asia. This could be the shock that changes things. At least that's what I hope for.
It doesn't seem negative, it seems quite possible. How can we go about trying to make a manufacturing sector strong again in the united states (that's not pre-1930s levels of slave wage labor)