Post-Coronavirus Business and Career thread

Koolking

Sparrow
Takeachance said:
bacani said:
I've been thinking of having a little aquaculture fishing farm. We had a huge koi fish pond that hasn't been used in years. Been cleaning it up with some hired workers since last week. Looking into growing Tilapia in it on a small scale (compared to the big time farms). Thinking of selling it into local markets or restaurants. Don't care if it fails I love ocean life and eating seafood so it's a win-win regardless.

I really wanted to do shrimps or crabs, but the cost for them is tenfold. Not to mention they need more maintenance. Want to get my feet wet with the cheaper and less maintenance fish before I move into high maintenance fish.
I’ve had interest in building a self sustained farm. I’ve seen some videos where nothing is wasted. IIRC, fish water has nutrients and people circulate this to grow hydroponic vegetables. The key is not to waste anything. Then man can be really self sufficient. Fish scraps feed the cats, that keep rodents out. Leftover vegetables feed the goats. Goats make milk and you can make cheese. I’m just not sure what you feed the fish from the farm. Worms?
You build chicken coops over your pond with mesh wiring as a floor. The chickens eat then poop into your fish pond and the fish eat and grow. I knew a Chinese/Thai low-level mob guy in Bangkok in the early 70s. He made his money ferrying around GI's on RnR from Vietnam to the brothels and also sold weed to them, used that money to start his fish-farm. I never saw him again after he went up-country to get the farm going. I did meet his buddy again though, a smarter/younger guy who stayed in the biz. He told me the other guy starting missing the old good times, was bored to death and had started drinking way too much and was literally killing himself, not hard to do in Thailand with all the really strong/dangerous moonshine produced.

Donfitz007

Kingfisher
Many things you could exploit.

You could come up with a multivitamin made specifically to boost the immune system (does it have to work.....slightly)

Design better workout equipment for the home (elastic bands are easy to make and the workout bow is revolutionary to me but im sure it could be enhanced)

Vlog about your experience with corona (told my LTR she could have did a video about studying abroad while the pandemic was taking over Spain) easy way to build up your youtube presence. Or make a video about how to something like the Wim hof kept you from getting it.

Make better food delivery companies. maybe something that delivers water and canned goods to a house and name it "preppers helpers".

Dilated

Robin
What do wealthy foreigners (outside USA) do about investing when there is no stock market and/or limited options for investment?

I asked this question in Ecuador when I was there last week and people had no answer.

I have intimate knowledge of a niche investment market in USA and thinking I could gather wealthy foreigners and manage a fund that distributes earnings.

username

Pelican
Gold Member
Depending on how bad it gets there will be other opportunities that open up.

Here in the US, there were already many restaurants that barely stayed afloat and corona might be the final punch that takes them out. So there may be opportunities to acquire a closed restaurant or acquire very cheap restaurant equipment and furniture. I know someone that offers to buy everything with one offer "the good the bad and the ugly" and then filters out the junk rather than offer item by item. Item by item will be more expensive. Find out what it goes for used and subtract the profit you would like with a nice buffer and that's your offer.

Another I noticed is already some landlords are panicking about corona causing their tenants not to pay rent and worry they will miss there upcoming loan payments. The ones I saw just listed in the last few days are not really attractive yet but if the pain continues the price will go down. There will also be many commercial buildings popping up too where their small business tenants are struggling. In either case you will need a nice cushion to weather out months (or years) where the properties do not generate the cash flow to pay the bills. Getting financing will be another problem as well if you don't have a lot of cash.

There may be other opportunities that popup as well. Maybe a small business that usually makes good cash but corona dried everything up and the owner will just dump it to be done with it. Perhaps something like a power washing business or small vending business. They might sacrifice one business to save their other one.

One last thing is every so often a business closes and dumps their inventory for much less than what it's worth. An example recently was a company was selling a kit with hand sanitizer, wipes, etc.. and these guys bought out their inventory for $5 each package and then were able to flip them for $40 each thanks to corona.

jordypip23

Pelican
Gold Member
For those of you running small businesses (I'm not in this category), sole proprietor businesses, etc. I came across this video that discusses the forgivable $10K loan that the government approved. Sharing it in case any of you can gain some value from it & keep more Americans employed:

Stimulus Package Forgivable Loan - First Come First Serve

jordypip23

Pelican
Gold Member
Here's another video from the same tax guy giving tips on how to speed up receiving your personal stimulus check:

How to Get Your Stimulus Check as Quickly as Possible

rainy

Woodpecker
jordypip23 said:
For those of you running small businesses (I'm not in this category), sole proprietor businesses, etc. I came across this video that discusses the forgivable $10K loan that the government approved. Sharing it in case any of you can gain some value from it & keep more Americans employed:

Stimulus Package Forgivable Loan - First Come First Serve
Up to a 10M loan.

10K is nothing. Wouldn't even cover half a week's payroll.

But a 10M loan to cover payroll, rent and healthcare and is forgiven as long as you don't fire anyone is huge.

username said:
Depending on how bad it gets there will be other opportunities that open up.

Here in the US, there were already many restaurants that barely stayed afloat and corona might be the final punch that takes them out. So there may be opportunities to acquire a closed restaurant or acquire very cheap restaurant equipment and furniture. I know someone that offers to buy everything with one offer "the good the bad and the ugly" and then filters out the junk rather than offer item by item. Item by item will be more expensive. Find out what it goes for used and subtract the profit you would like with a nice buffer and that's your offer.

Another I noticed is already some landlords are panicking about corona causing their tenants not to pay rent and worry they will miss there upcoming loan payments. The ones I saw just listed in the last few days are not really attractive yet but if the pain continues the price will go down. There will also be many commercial buildings popping up too where their small business tenants are struggling. In either case you will need a nice cushion to weather out months (or years) where the properties do not generate the cash flow to pay the bills. Getting financing will be another problem as well if you don't have a lot of cash.

There may be other opportunities that popup as well. Maybe a small business that usually makes good cash but corona dried everything up and the owner will just dump it to be done with it. Perhaps something like a power washing business or small vending business. They might sacrifice one business to save their other one.

One last thing is every so often a business closes and dumps their inventory for much less than what it's worth. An example recently was a company was selling a kit with hand sanitizer, wipes, etc.. and these guys bought out their inventory for $5 each package and then were able to flip them for $40 each thanks to corona.
Home cooking, under the guise of "home gastronomy" will surely have a boom right? I mean, even if most people who "like to eat" are consoomers, a bunch of them have to be interested in that.

Expensive kitchen equipment stuff like ovens, coffee grinders, knives, all that jazz, should surely get a boom?

I'm guessing that Youtube cooking channels are praising themselves lucky now.

If I was an out of work line chef, I'd surely go make a Youtube channel, right f..... now. Then figure out how to get some craft equipment under my own name out to consumers. "American made".

Stats

Robin
Vladimir Poontang said:
Is it immoral to exploit stupidity?
Yes. I have seen many people fall in this trap myself included. You can get some temporary high from it but in the end your time would have been better spent finding more sustainable fulfilling ways to make money AND providing a real benefit at the same time. If you susceed in this you will get something extra in return. something money can not buy.

username

Pelican
Gold Member
jordypip23 said:
Thank you very much. Just applied for my business and will forward this to my brother in law for his. Hopefully we get it.

acco

Robin
Stats said:
Vladimir Poontang said:
Yes. I have seen many people fall in this trap myself included. You can get some temporary high from it but in the end your time would have been better spent finding more sustainable fulfilling ways to make money AND providing a real benefit at the same time. If you susceed in this you will get something extra in return. something money can not buy.
What happend to them?

Enigma

Hummingbird
Gold Member
rainy said:
In my opinion too many have tried to gravitate towards the comfort of working at home. It's the easy way out and carries more risk much of the time.
"More risk" compared to what?

If you're comparing it to the trades, sure. But nearly everything is riskier than the trades, as you alluded to.

However, while a huge portion of the population is currently not working or, ironically, doing their 'office' job from home now, my work has not changed at all. None of my current clients have expressed any concern, and in fact one of them is sending me even more work.

Also, regarding the main reason that I personally chose remote work, the country I'm in (Vietnam) has less than 200 cases, despite sharing a major border with China and the virus hitting during Tet (Chinese New Year in Vietnam).

Of course, you could say that I'm "lucky", but in fact of the three main regions (SA, EE, SEA) that men have expatriated to the in the past, there are only a few countries having serious problems with the virus, and in the case of at least one, Thailand, the writing was on the wall there for weeks and weeks. Anyone who was concerned had plenty of time to relocate.

Now, I'm sure some have all sorts of economic speculation about why remote work is going to end, but if the reaction to this virus has shown us one thing, it's that the technocratic elite, not sound economic theory, is what controls the economy.

And if you read the writings of said elite, you will see that not only do they have to plans of ending remote work nor online commerce, they want to introduce even more of it.

tomzestatlu

Kingfisher
Today I read interview with one entrepreneur from my country (I am from Europe) and his bussiness was travelling to China. That´s probably worst kind of bussiness you can own at this moment and it probably won´t change in any close future. But he was very optimistic towards future. One of the things he said, is that this is unique situation, that will come once in a life-time and I think he was right. It´s just about searching opportunities. Market was very saturated until this moment, but now it will make new space for new projects and as a result, people will start to think differently in some ways.

In January I got back to the military and now 3 months later it seems like pretty good decision in this time of insecurity and lowering sallaries. Anyway area I worked in before is booming now too (groceries).

As a state employee, I can´t legally start bussiness. On the other hand, if I saw unique opportunity, there probably could be some way around.
If I ended up unemployed, I would probably go for groceries delivery on my own to earn some side money. There´s one company in this country doing this and even though they were pretty succesful before the crisis, now their bussiness skyrocketed literally to point, where they totally weren´t able to handle demands of market, but used it as an opportunity to grow.

I am thinking about upcoming consequences on realty market. In previous years, properties prices skyrocketed very high. And maybe this is the moment, where it could stop and decrease. I probably won´t become investor, because just to be able to apply for mortgage for garsoniere, you need more than 20-30 netto sallaries in cash. But maybe it will be the best opportunity to get my own property to live.

Regent

Pigeon
acco said:
Stats said:
Vladimir Poontang said:
What happend to them?

Bread of deceit is sweet to a man; but afterwards his mouth shall be filled with gravel.
Proverbs 20:17

An amazing commentary on it is found at :

https://letgodbetrue.com/proverbs/index/chapter-20/proverbs-20-17/

king bast

Woodpecker
I made a killing selling my excess home gym equipment. I put together a well equipped home gym with second hand equipment several years ago. The rough price for weight was $1 per kilo.

Now the gyms have closed and stores have been stripped of all exercise equipment, so I thought I'd put my gear on for what I thought was exorbitant prices, and was pleasantly surprised as people were falling over themselves to buy my cast-offs at up to $5 a kilo. Made $1200 in a day, just from selling weight that I didn't even use anymore and was cluttering up my garage.

Interestingly, the items that I consider my best and most useful equipment - a power cage and a 30kg weighted vest - were the only items which didn't attract interest, while my vast collection of 1.25kg plates, which I consider to be basically garbage, was highly sought after and quickly snapped up at whatever price I asked.

Easy_C

Crow
Dilated said:
What do wealthy foreigners (outside USA) do about investing when there is no stock market and/or limited options for investment?

I asked this question in Ecuador when I was there last week and people had no answer.

I have intimate knowledge of a niche investment market in USA and thinking I could gather wealthy foreigners and manage a fund that distributes earnings.
They use collectibles.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...uying-by-millennial-collectors-301017171.html

Easy_C

Crow
Idea: now is a good time to be in the bunker building business.

I'm semi-open to the idea of starting such a business with other RVF members.