Post-Coronavirus Business and Career thread

Easy_C said:
Idea: now is a good time to be in the bunker building business.

I'm semi-open to the idea of starting such a business with other RVF members.
Thought: How about pre-cast bunkers? Build the main building blocks off-site and then install them as needed for the client with cranes/backhoes.
Pros: Easy to standardize design/cost savings.
Challenge: Not all backyards can fit a crane, how about selling a DIY kit or made-on-site kit and install option?

I like your idea and think it has legs, especially the higher-end clients with lots of disposable cash.
 

Easy_C

Crow
The other consideration:

Disclaimer that I'm NOT any kind of a bigwig, but I have a sufficient network in New York that I could very easily get a lot of leads on high net worth client. I don't know that many people but I do know a lot of people who know people. To give you an example there's two degrees of separation between myself and Prince Salman.

Note that there is a lot of competition in that are BUT they weren't able to meet demand even pre-virus. They also tend to be rather extensive and involved things. I think where there's a major solution to market needs is if you can come up with something that installs inside of a week (probably make a fancier version of the shipping container thing).
 

sonoran_

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Keep in consideration this list of opportunities that bloom during tough times to help stimulate new ideas in your mind:

1) Discount/thrift sellers, 2nd hand items, reselling
2) Sin - alcohol, marijuana increase but gambling decreases
3) Sin 2.0 - stress eating, junk food, candy - anything that gives dopamine hits
4) Repairing, maintenance, renovations rather than new purchases
5) Repossession, debt collection, junk removal(foreclosed housing)
6) Education - people upgrade their skills in hopes of coming out stronger in the job market
7) Cosmetics- (budget friendly) sales are quite high during tough periods, as a result of the p*ssy bubble popping when economy goes south and women have to rely solely on looks to snag high tier men.
 

Foolsgo1d

Peacock
If you're after property you need to watch non-bank lenders and smaller banks. When auctions come up those will be going to banks and they will need cleaning.

The FED will most likely let small banks and non-bank lenders go to dust, making sure the bigger banks can own more.

Car repos are going to take off big time in the next month or two.
 
Foolsgo1d said:
If you're after property you need to watch non-bank lenders and smaller banks. When auctions come up those will be going to banks and they will need cleaning.

The FED will most likely let small banks and non-bank lenders go to dust, making sure the bigger banks can own more.

Car repos are going to take off big time in the next month or two.
The problem with that strategy is timing - since the sheisters could lock down anything for a year, then the prices will be in free fall for months and months.

Plus - if they close off a country, then the subsequent violence spike will make it more necessary to sonsider buying a fortified Knight Quest vehicle:

[img=640x480]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/nLFbKFYarLA/hqdefault.jpg[/img]

Sure - after it's all done and dusted, then you could buy properties for 20% of the actual price, but that necessitates an eventual pickup of the economy. If the petro-dollar collapses and the US becomes broke in 2022, then you might look forward to 10-20 years of a deep depression and your properties still won't rise in price.
 

Easy_C

Crow
Another area that will do well is restructuring and M&A as companies go under and are snapped up.

This favors lawyers and finance people with relevant skills, operation people who know how to integrity process, and IT people who specialize in data import and mapping tools like Central Finance.
 
Careers:

+ Essential businesses - water, energy, canalization, food production and food distribution - retail

+ government jobs - especially ones coming in that will encompass total and complete surveillance - they will hire countless drone operators, a medical TSA times 10 that will check temperatures and scan your biomarker-card/chip for vaccination history

+ repossessing and debt collection companies will have an ever more growing market for years to come - lots of business, though it will get more dangerous


Businesses:

The goal of theirs is to eliminate all small businesses so better make dough while it's possible.

+ Cheap drug and alcohol businesses will be growing as more people will look for escape

+ porn turnover will likely increase and some can likely make more cash with interactive POV content

+ financial markets will remain viable in the next years, but you will have to make it on your own and the success rate will remain miniscule

+ any business connected with the Orwellian police state is good - face recognition, more cameras, security measures due to crime uptick, private security companies will be growing etc.


It's frankly a shit-new-world that is drab and dire. Not even funeral services might be good businesses since the sheisters can simply ban burials for hygienic reasons, crematoriums will be booming for a while because they will be the only way to bury bodies now. But who knows - they may ban this too some day and do giant gulag/crematorium camps for all of you.
 
Simeon_Strangelight said:
Businesses:

+ porn turnover will likely increase and some can likely make more cash with interactive POV content

that explains the amount of women I've matched with on tindr/bumble that ask me to sign up for their onlyfans or goto their pornhub model profile. Sex work will get big.

I think if you have capital, start researching into options trading on the stock market. Right now with all the volatility you can make A LOT of money. I've made 10k this past week and I only traded 2 days with options (puts on SPY). It's not always this good but either way it is worth learning. It's confusing at first but keep training yourself and get a demo account at td ameritrade ThinkOrSwim app or on nadex.com
 

Robert High Hawk

Kingfisher
Want to bump this thread quickly. I've read several articles talking about how remote and rural vacation areas are doing particularly well as people bug out from the cities. There's hard numbers to back this up in places like the Hampton/rural New England, and sites like Joshua Tree, CA over on the west coast. I suspect that in general some more peaceful, functional rural areas may see long term benefits of this, as at least some of the refugees decide to stay or simply tele-work indefinitely. Right now there is almost zero advantage to living in an apartment in an affected city over a place with more personal space, freedom of movement, and safety. Curious as to people's thoughts on this, and if it's going to last, and some possible opportunities here.
 

acco

Robin
Robert High Hawk said:
Want to bump this thread quickly. I've read several articles talking about how remote and rural vacation areas are doing particularly well as people bug out from the cities. There's hard numbers to back this up in places like the Hampton/rural New England, and sites like Joshua Tree, CA over on the west coast. I suspect that in general some more peaceful, functional rural areas may see long term benefits of this, as at least some of the refugees decide to stay or simply tele-work indefinitely. Right now there is almost zero advantage to living in an apartment in an affected city over a place with more personal space, freedom of movement, and safety. Curious as to people's thoughts on this, and if it's going to last, and some possible opportunities here.
Only yesterday the neighbours were sitting outside in this beautiful weather, children were playing and I thought, apparently nobody of these people had heard of minimum distance rules.
The village here has less than pop 1000.
 
Robert High Hawk said:
Want to bump this thread quickly. I've read several articles talking about how remote and rural vacation areas are doing particularly well as people bug out from the cities. There's hard numbers to back this up in places like the Hampton/rural New England, and sites like Joshua Tree, CA over on the west coast. I suspect that in general some more peaceful, functional rural areas may see long term benefits of this, as at least some of the refugees decide to stay or simply tele-work indefinitely. Right now there is almost zero advantage to living in an apartment in an affected city over a place with more personal space, freedom of movement, and safety. Curious as to people's thoughts on this, and if it's going to last, and some possible opportunities here.
Once NYC, San Francisco, Chicago, etc are "safe" and normal again...the public will flock back to the urban cities.
 

kel

Kingfisher
Most, yes, but if even 1% of the population changes their lifestyle (somehow - doesn't have to be going full anarcho-fashy-primitivist, can just be demanding a few days of work from home a week or doing remote work in general) that's a huge deal.
 

Biz

Kingfisher
How will Ecom fair after all this is said and done?

I'd imagine Dropshipping, Amazon FBA, Shopify, etc. will and likely already have taken drastic hits due to most people importing from China.

Will that affect other areas such as affiliate sales or copywriting and the like?
 

AntoniusofEfa

Woodpecker
Whatever was valid before Corona is still valid:

Don't major in stupid shit. This includes Economics and Business administration. Leave that to the rich daddy's boys Dudebros.
 

Robert High Hawk

Kingfisher
kel said:
Most, yes, but if even 1% of the population changes their lifestyle (somehow - doesn't have to be going full anarcho-fashy-primitivist, can just be demanding a few days of work from home a week or doing remote work in general) that's a huge deal.
I'm inclined to believe this as well. At the bare minimum this has slowed the urban migration pattern, but also it's highly likely some people will leave for good. Even if it's a small amount, relative to rural areas, even a handful of people makes a huge difference. Now additionally, even if some don't move to the country, they are at least more familiar with it than before, and may come back more often to visit.
 

Easy_C

Crow
Easy_C said:
Another area that will do well is restructuring and M&A as companies go under and are snapped up.

This favors lawyers and finance people with relevant skills, operation people who know how to integrity process, and IT people who specialize in data import and mapping tools like Central Finance.
Quoting myself here BUT...

That's already happened. I just hopped on LinkedIN to check some messages (I'm rather selfishly sending out a bunch of "hey, everything going OK?" messages).

I clicked on the jobs tab Restructuring related postings have exploded. There's a ton of jobs related to restructuring M&A advisory, consulting services, bankruptcy law, etc.

Any kind of professional services job where you're doing well in a downturn is hiring like crazy.


Whatever was valid before Corona is still valid:

Don't major in stupid shit. This includes Economics and Business administration. Leave that to the rich daddy's boys Dudebros.
The value of Econ and Business Administration depends heavily on what school you get into. If you can get one from an Ivy League school or the tier below it(e.g. Chicago Boothe, MIT Sloan, etc.), do it because if you play your cards competently it's a straight shot into positions of power in large corporations.

Otherwise you're wasting your time and money.
 

paninaro

Woodpecker
Robert High Hawk said:
I suspect that in general some more peaceful, functional rural areas may see long term benefits of this, as at least some of the refugees decide to stay or simply tele-work indefinitely.
I don't think this will happen that much. The people who move there will be missing out on the benefits they felt they had in the city -- jobs, access to transportation/airports, well-equipped hospitals, and decent schools (perhaps private).

They don't need these things now -- offices, airports, and schools are all closed or doing it remotely, and as long as you don't get sick, you don't need the hospital. But once things get back to normal, they'll have those needs again.

I can see a few people becoming enamored at staying at what used to be just their summer house full time, and I know people who've done this, but they're almost always retired, so proximity to jobs and good schools doesn't matter to them.

It does sound nice though, and I'd love to do the same, but a lot of the factors I mentioned also apply to my situation.
 

Kona

Crow
Gold Member
My woman and I have been brainstorming about this since the shutdown started.

I'm gonna start a REIT. We are going to focus on luxury properties. There's gonna be major amounts of people selling off their fancy vacation rentals and second homes in Hawaii soon. One month of no rental income is something nobody prepared for.

If you've read any of my posts on this forum you know that nobody loves dividend-based income, competitive market performance, transparency, liquidity, inflation protection and portfolio diversification more than me.

For some reason, Hawaii has crazy laws about REITs. They aren't taxed and get all kinds of benefits that normal property owners don't get. On top of those things, when the places are vacant, I'll have access to them.

Step one is retaining an attorney. I got the best REIT man breaking quarantine and coming over tomorrow morning. I'm excited.

Aloha!
 
Kona said:
My woman and I have been brainstorming about this since the shutdown started.

I'm gonna start a REIT. We are going to focus on luxury properties. There's gonna be major amounts of people selling off their fancy vacation rentals and second homes in Hawaii soon. One month of no rental income is something nobody prepared for.

If you've read any of my posts on this forum you know that nobody loves dividend-based income, competitive market performance, transparency, liquidity, inflation protection and portfolio diversification more than me.

For some reason, Hawaii has crazy laws about REITs. They aren't taxed and get all kinds of benefits that normal property owners don't get. On top of those things, when the places are vacant, I'll have access to them.

Step one is retaining an attorney. I got the best REIT man breaking quarantine and coming over tomorrow morning. I'm excited.

Aloha!
High-end sector likely won't be affected, but the mid- to low-tier tourism market in Hawaii is looking grim. High end may even experience an uptick due to all the FED liquidity which will just trickle up as always.
 
Top