Post-Coronavirus Business and Career thread

Kona

Crow
Gold Member
SamuelBRoberts said:
Man I want a REIT.

I was kinda worried about Kona 'cause his business was closed but I'm glad he's landing on his feet.
Well you can be in my REIT. It needs 100 people or entities to get going.

The thing is, back a few months ago Honolulu County, that's Oahu, passed a law making Airbnb type rentals outside of a small geographic area illegal if they were rented for less than thirty days. That screwed lotsa people. So they were slowly starting to sell anyway. Now all travel and activity is banned. Word on the street is that's gonna be extended another 30 days until June 1st. It's not like all of a sudden the floodgates is gonna open and people are gonna pour in then anyhow. So effectively this summer is shot.

The lawyer says there's good and bad to starting now with the government services all closed. Less scrutiny but things moving slower.

Also, Hawaii has no nationwide banks here. First Hawaiian, Bonkoh, etc. all the local ones, have people who's sole jobs it is to invest in local REITs, and those dudes are all open for business sitting there doing nothing right now.

Aloha!

Easy_C

Crow
Kona said:
SamuelBRoberts said:
Man I want a REIT.

I was kinda worried about Kona 'cause his business was closed but I'm glad he's landing on his feet.
Well you can be in my REIT. It needs 100 people or entities to get going.

The thing is, back a few months ago Honolulu County, that's Oahu, passed a law making Airbnb type rentals outside of a small geographic area illegal if they were rented for less than thirty days. That screwed lotsa people. So they were slowly starting to sell anyway. Now all travel and activity is banned. Word on the street is that's gonna be extended another 30 days until June 1st. It's not like all of a sudden the floodgates is gonna open and people are gonna pour in then anyhow. So effectively this summer is shot.

The lawyer says there's good and bad to starting now with the government services all closed. Less scrutiny but things moving slower.

Also, Hawaii has no nationwide banks here. First Hawaiian, Bonkoh, etc. all the local ones, have people who's sole jobs it is to invest in local REITs, and those dudes are all open for business sitting there doing nothing right now.

Aloha!
Talking to some other folks on ideas too, but some of us on here (Cobra and myself for starters) are finance professionals with at least a bit of live deal experience.

I anticipate your biggest problem is Chinese competition. Chinese investors are already starting to free up liquidity and are preparing to snap up real assets. In typical Chinese fashion expect them to come in over-bidding you because they tend to place more value in real assets than in currency assets.

Robert High Hawk said:
Want to bump this thread quickly. I've read several articles talking about how remote and rural vacation areas are doing particularly well as people bug out from the cities. There's hard numbers to back this up in places like the Hampton/rural New England, and sites like Joshua Tree, CA over on the west coast. I suspect that in general some more peaceful, functional rural areas may see long term benefits of this, as at least some of the refugees decide to stay or simply tele-work indefinitely. Right now there is almost zero advantage to living in an apartment in an affected city over a place with more personal space, freedom of movement, and safety. Curious as to people's thoughts on this, and if it's going to last, and some possible opportunities here.
Yeah, well, this is a macro trend that I've thought about for several years already.

All that is needed for a mass exodus from the cities is for Elon Musks hypersonic tunnels to take off.

If you could live 1-2 hours outside a city in a car, but be there in 20 minutes with hypersonic? Wouldn't you do it?

You add in drone deliveries, self testing medical kits, robots from Boston Dynamics (look at that guard dog they have), home work etc etc. It's all just around the corner to practically for full self suffiency with technology.

It would allow for people to self-segregate and create "swpl" communities that are safe from virus and violence.

I see this as a big time, medium term, trend, but when and how it happens, and your guess is as good as mine.

I'd say buying a small cottage, farm, whatever you call it, 1-2 hours outside the city is going to be a good bet.

The most important thing is to do everything in your power to have a stash of cash ready for opportunities within the next 6-12 months.

I'd say aim for 100-200K would be enough to maybe 10x in a few years if you invest wisely. This absolutely is the wealth making opportunity of a lifetime.

Robert High Hawk said:
kel said:
Most, yes, but if even 1% of the population changes their lifestyle (somehow - doesn't have to be going full anarcho-fashy-primitivist, can just be demanding a few days of work from home a week or doing remote work in general) that's a huge deal.
I'm inclined to believe this as well. At the bare minimum this has slowed the urban migration pattern, but also it's highly likely some people will leave for good. Even if it's a small amount, relative to rural areas, even a handful of people makes a huge difference. Now additionally, even if some don't move to the country, they are at least more familiar with it than before, and may come back more often to visit.
People go where the jobs are, generally speaking. Create job opportunities in small/rural areas and migration will shift there.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Startup Entrepreneur said:
Robert High Hawk said:
kel said:
Most, yes, but if even 1% of the population changes their lifestyle (somehow - doesn't have to be going full anarcho-fashy-primitivist, can just be demanding a few days of work from home a week or doing remote work in general) that's a huge deal.
I'm inclined to believe this as well. At the bare minimum this has slowed the urban migration pattern, but also it's highly likely some people will leave for good. Even if it's a small amount, relative to rural areas, even a handful of people makes a huge difference. Now additionally, even if some don't move to the country, they are at least more familiar with it than before, and may come back more often to visit.
People go where the jobs are, generally speaking. Create job opportunities in small/rural areas and migration will shift there.
Wrong way of thinking. There's no way to "create jobs" in rural areas where there's no demand.

Instead, free the "job" from the location, and people can go anywhere.

50% of jobs (probably more) are done 100% on the computer. Why does this have to take place in a city? Free the workers from the city. Let us move wherever we want, and tight-knit communities will start forming in small/rural areas.

jordypip23

Pelican
Gold Member
nomadbrah said:
Robert High Hawk said:
Want to bump this thread quickly. I've read several articles talking about how remote and rural vacation areas are doing particularly well as people bug out from the cities. There's hard numbers to back this up in places like the Hampton/rural New England, and sites like Joshua Tree, CA over on the west coast. I suspect that in general some more peaceful, functional rural areas may see long term benefits of this, as at least some of the refugees decide to stay or simply tele-work indefinitely. Right now there is almost zero advantage to living in an apartment in an affected city over a place with more personal space, freedom of movement, and safety. Curious as to people's thoughts on this, and if it's going to last, and some possible opportunities here.
Yeah, well, this is a macro trend that I've thought about for several years already.

All that is needed for a mass exodus from the cities is for Elon Musks hypersonic tunnels to take off.

If you could live 1-2 hours outside a city in a car, but be there in 20 minutes with hypersonic? Wouldn't you do it?

You add in drone deliveries, self testing medical kits, robots from Boston Dynamics (look at that guard dog they have), home work etc etc. It's all just around the corner to practically for full self suffiency with technology.

It would allow for people to self-segregate and create "swpl" communities that are safe from virus and violence.

I see this as a big time, medium term, trend, but when and how it happens, and your guess is as good as mine.

I'd say buying a small cottage, farm, whatever you call it, 1-2 hours outside the city is going to be a good bet.
I can see the further out suburbs & exurbs, satellite towns outside of major cities going up in desirability again. There was a "back to the city" type of movement for quite a few years now in several metro areas (especially fueled by millennials), but I can see this virus possibly changing the trends a bit.

Kona

Crow
Gold Member
Easy_C said:
Talking to some other folks on ideas too, but some of us on here (Cobra and myself for starters) are finance professionals with at least a bit of live deal experience.

I anticipate your biggest problem is Chinese competition. Chinese investors are already starting to free up liquidity and are preparing to snap up real assets. In typical Chinese fashion expect them to come in over-bidding you because they tend to place more value in real assets than in currency assets.
There's Chinese making REITs.

Step one to starting a REIT after you retain a lawyer is covering the $50k or so in admin and incorporation costs. You have to start a property management-esque holding company, then build up the number of investors. Your investor prospectus is a long way away.

The tax benefits are insane. None. Hawaii gives you back a portion of what youspend on all kinds of things. Payroll, supplies, med coverage. Fed taxes are less too. Bizarre.

Aloha!

I'm going to sell physical contact.

Handshake : $20 each
Hug : $5 per second
Pat on the back : $15 each
Nipple flick : on the house (special offer, all you can take)

That's right. I'm going to be the most dignified whore in town. You bring me the boy, and I'll give you the man.

I don't understand the argument for REITs. The laws require 90% of the income to be distributed to shareholders in the form of dividends so there is little opportunity for reinvestment. Is tourism predicted to bounce back quickly or will a REIT be stuck holding under-performing assets? Scenario A is rapid growth in select verticals following the lifting of sanctions. If cash is tied up in a (likely leveraged) REIT there will be no opportunity for gains elsewhere.

@=
Been buying undervalued stocks here on the ASX during the pandemic.
How are the ASX markets? Interesting situation popping up here in the US (probably elsewhere) on collateralized loan obligations (CLOs) blowing up and igniting a financial crisis on top of all of this.

paninaro

Woodpecker
I don't understand the argument for REITs. The laws require 90% of the income to be distributed to shareholders in the form of dividends so there is little opportunity for reinvestment.
Nothing is stopping shareholders from taking their REIT dividends and investing more in the REIT.

bali

Pigeon
Is anyone here working in Southeast Asia?

How difficult is it for Americans to get a STEM job in places like Thailand, Bali, Singapore or Vietnam, and what are the salaries for STEM jobs in those countries?

I thought about Teaching English but figured I could make more money in a STEM job in Southeast Asia. Can anyone recommend a good country to get a Tech job?