Powerlifting

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Howdy fellow Meatheads.

There is a separate thread about lifting weights called "The Lifter's Lounge"... but I haven't seen anything explicitly for Powerlifting. I think this would be a good place to discuss methods/programming/ equipment/ brands/ and general discussion about the sport as well as any progress people make and the way they accomplished PR's.

I rediscovered powerlifting after getting out of the Marines and having had several injuries post service. After getting out I had done a lot of cardio and basic barbell exercises but never put any focus in powerlifting. I also had several herniated discs and back pain so bad I had a hard time bending over and tying my shoes, but would try and find a way to get through whatever workouts I could. I had a gym membership along with some Iron Master adjustable dumbbells' (up to 75 lbs), a power rack and bar and 275 lbs in bumper plates in the garage. After watching Westside vs the World and having wasted a shitload of money on chiropractor I bit the bullet and got a reverse hyper extension machine. That thing changed my life. I now have almost no back pain.

Then Covid hysteria gym closing happened and I was glad I had the rack and reverse hyper machine in my garage. Now I have a full power rack, Spud pully system, a power bar, safety squat bar (elite fts SSB Yoke bar is the best thing I have spent my money on for keeping shoulders healthy) a American Gridiron Cambered bar (great for chest and triceps specialization, also Seal Rows) a front squat harness, a sled, and assorted weights in bands/chains. Pretty much exclusively buy from Elite FTS since they dont do any BLM bullshit and their owner shares more knowledge than anyone in the business for FREE.

I am currently running the Conjugate Method, and after rehabbing my back and starting back over at an empty bar, I have gotten my deadlift back up to 495, Squats back to 475, and Bench back up to 315. (I am 5'6'' 220 lbs) This is by no means an elite total, but well ahead of a lot of the gym rats but I am pretty happy considering a year ago I was in a lot of pain and now pain free.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
What's your body fat? 5'6 and 220 would make Rippetoe proud. :D
Haha rip would be very proud. Im around 20 percent. Have some fat to lose but not concerned... Visible abs no, but veins up the bicep to the shoulder... So not a blob either.

I was about 180 for most of my adult male life while in the Marines, already a heavy frame for my height.
Nice lifts.

I've been getting back into it after living abroad and not weight training for years. My deadlift is 425, bench is 275, squats I've been sticking to repping out 225 after pulling a muscle in my abs.

Heavy lifting is a must for men
Those are all solid. My bench is always the lagging thing. What are you doing for progression? I was stuck at 275 for a couple months before I stated moving in close grip and adding in pin presses.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Just put up a PR on bench of 205 for 5 reps by accident, I put the 10lb plates on instead of the 5s. Couldn't figure out why the 5th rep was so heavy. It's amazing how my brain tricked me into doing more than I thought I could simply by my missing the actual weight I'd put on the bar. I can already squat 205 for reps and I'm going to shoot for a 225 1RM later this week, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to pull it off. As of this morning I weigh 158.7 so I might have to bulk up a bit before I can do 225 for reps on squat, or even get that up once on bench.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Just put up a PR on bench of 205 for 5 reps by accident, I put the 10lb plates on instead of the 5s. Couldn't figure out why the 5th rep was so heavy. It's amazing how my brain tricked me into doing more than I thought I could simply by my missing the actual weight I'd put on the bar. I can already squat 205 for reps and I'm going to shoot for a 225 1RM later this week, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to pull it off. As of this morning I weigh 158.7 so I might have to bulk up a bit before I can do 225 for reps on squat, or even get that up once on bench.
Nice. I try and get a PR Every work out in some capacity (lbs, reps, or density)

What's your routine like?

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
I ran a push pull legs split for a long time. Looked good but numbers weren't great compared to now. I Got back I to compund lifts due to covid.

Have you looked at something like starting strength?

All about 5 lbs a work out on all the compound lifts. (And lots of calories to cultivate da Mass) not compatible with a bodybuilding split per se.. but show me someone who can bench 315 or Squat 405 or Dead lift 495 and I guarantee they'll have a big set of pecs/posterior chain and upper body.

I prefer congugate method, but I had success in the starting strength method.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I did a bodybuilding program for about a year called Built With Science, since Jeremy Ethier (the instructor) has a similar frame to mine and I wanted to look like Brad Pitt in Fight Club. I got to a physique I was pretty stoked about, and I increased my strength the entire time that I was cutting (went from 187 to 157). I was never really interested in big numbers until I started pushing the 200s around, now I want to see how far I can go. Got to 55lb dumbbell curls as well but my wrists couldn’t handle it even though my biceps could.

I did something called 5x5 about 8 years ago, I liked that program but haven’t done Starting Strength.

Aizen

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Getting back into power lifting this week after years of pure calisthenics training. My new building has a gym with a barbell, which is a sign that I should get back into lifting. Looking forward to pumping out some deadlifts; just acquired a lifting belt and some wrist wraps. I'll probably hop on SS and see where it goes from there.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Also, I’ve been at 100lb DB shrugs for a long time simply because my adjustable dumbbells don’t go any higher. I’ll have to use either a hex bar or a barbell to increase the weight for shrugs, you guys have a preference on which is better?

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Also, I’ve been at 100lb DB shrugs for a long time simply because my adjustable dumbbells don’t go any higher. I’ll have to use either a hex bar or a barbell to increase the weight for shrugs, you guys have a preference on which is better?
I don't own a trap bar. Don't use them at all.
They're fine for shrugs or rows but I don't think they're worth the money.

I would use a barbell for the shrugs. You should be able to shrug for reps near your DL weight.

If you're not doing lots of bent over rows, you should be.

Aizen

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I don't own a trap bar. Don't use them at all.
They're fine for shrugs or rows but I don't think they're worth the money.

I would use a barbell for the shrugs. You should be able to shrug for reps near your DL weight.

If you're not doing lots of bent over rows, you should be.
If one has access to a rowing machine, would you recommend using that or bent over rows instead?

Zagor

Woodpecker
I prefer rowing off the floor. Most gym brahs row bent over, put a tonne of weight on the barbell and then move the weight for whole two inches, doing more of a shrug then a row. Then they wonder where the gains are.

I don't do isolated traps training, it has high stimulus-to-fatigue ratio and energy/recovery poured into it could be better spent on deadlifts/overhead press, a combination which can build maximum traps.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
I prefer rowing off the floor. Most gym brahs row bent over, put a tonne of weight on the barbell and then move the weight for whole two inches, doing more of a shrug then a row. Then they wonder where the gains are.

I don't do isolated traps training, it has high stimulus-to-fatigue ratio and energy/recovery poured into it could be better spent on deadlifts/overhead press, a combination which can build maximum traps.
You will get good traps from compund lifts. As a novice you don't need much assistance work. If you can deadlift 495 you'll have good traps.

That said, direct upper back work is good for keeping focus on tightness in the bench, and I find lots of reverse flys/face pulls/shrugs/upright rows keep my shoulders healthy and do add for hypertrophy.