Powerlifting

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
That's an impressive lift.

He's also talking about implements from what I gathered (yokes and logs) He wasn't saying that there isn't a benefit to max effort work in the gym just when it comes to sports specific efforts he doesn't do a 100 max except for in competition.

This concept is still articulated in Congugate by not taking a 1RM on the competition Bench /Squat / DL style except for in a Meet.

Big Loz also said that he doesn't recommend that concept for beginners/intermediates as you still need to learn the motor pattern. Someone who's been doing it for a long time who's very strong will know their needs.

Just like Andy Bolton when he Deadlifted over 1000 lbs.... He never did above 65-70 percent in the deadlift except for at a meet (he just works speed work and other heavy work in other movements)

Benedict Magnusson on the otherhand did heavy triples, doubles and singles and broke Bolton's record in conventional deadlift.

ETA glad he beat that Sodomite Rob Kearney
I think your beginner or intermediate lifter should test their 1RM just to see what it feels like. If you have your form down, it's pretty fun. Your mind goes empty and you get a huge adrenaline hit. Nothing like it, imo.

Hate Kearney. He actively promotes his homosexuality (his YouTube channel is World Strongest Gay). He's also been trying to get some of the WSM organizers blacklisted because they are "Christian fundamentalists" who are "homophobic." Other than his log (which he cannot maintain as it blew out his tricep), he's a mediocre strongman.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Got Becoming A Supple Leopard, by Starrett. Seems like solid info and it’s giving me a lot to think about. What is the forum’s opinion on this book?

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Got Becoming A Supple Leopard, by Starrett. Seems like solid info and it’s giving me a lot to think about. What is the forum’s opinion on this book?
I think he has some valuable things to say. He helped Donnie Thompson (first person to total 3000 lbs) in some of his rehab. He has had a positive affect on strength sports.

Thompson's YouTube channel is full of gold.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Anyone watch the Devon Larratt v. Michael Todd match? Devon must have juiced like crazy. He came in so ****ing big. What a beast.

this was nuts. I dont know if Larratt is Juicing, he's been huge for years. Super impressive athlete... one day he may catch up to Brzenk.

He is pretty fun to watch. Here is him with Eric Spoto , who took Mendy's 715 raw bench record before Kyrill and Julius Maddox eventually overcame him.

Here's Mendy also:

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
this was nuts. I dont know if Larratt is Juicing, he's been huge for years. Super impressive athlete... one day he may catch up to Brzenk.

He is pretty fun to watch. Here is him with Eric Spoto , who took Mendy's 715 raw bench record before Kyrill and Julius Maddox eventually overcame him.

Here's Mendy also:
It's pretty clear he's juicing. He put on a significant amount of muscle and weight at 46. His face has the bloated look consistent with steroids. Larrett is better than Breznk. Larrett beat Breznk in 2008. The loss for Devon in 2015 was Devon post-surgery.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
It's pretty clear he's juicing. He put on a significant amount of muscle and weight at 46. His face has the bloated look consistent with steroids. Larrett is better than Breznk. Larrett beat Breznk in 2008. The loss for Devon in 2015 was Devon post-surgery.
I dont know about his steroid use or not. Some of those physcial effects can be explained with diet and training routine, look at this video, he has been through phases of being larger and smaller before.

He's always been a big dude. Breznk has the legacy of being the Greatest of All Time, and is also several years older so I think that has to be factored in when comparing the two.

Here he is lifting and its funny, he struggles with bench pressing 242 (roughly his body weight)

Compare that to Denis Tsyplenkov (who I do think is on gear)

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
I dont know about his steroid use or not. Some of those physcial effects can be explained with diet and training routine, look at this video, he has been through phases of being larger and smaller before.

He's always been a big dude. Breznk has the legacy of being the Greatest of All Time, and is also several years older so I think that has to be factored in when comparing the two.

Here he is lifting and its funny, he struggles with bench pressing 242 (roughly his body weight)

Compare that to Denis Tsyplenkov (who I do think is on gear)
Devon was always a technical, hook and defensive arm wrestlers throughout his career, even when he was young. If you watch his matches with guys like Breznk, Chaffee, Mask, or Todd, he would also hold his defensive position, but would never maintain centre or attack. After his elbow surgery, even this strategy weakened as he adopted the king move because he didn't have the strength to hook big arm wrestlers. Michael Todd is a kings move guy, but more importantly, he's an offensive, strong, aggressive arm wrestler. He hasn't lost in a long time. Devon maintaining the centre of the table against Michael Todd is unheard of. Pinning Michael without a strap has never happened before. No way Devon became that big and strong so late in his career (when his strength was declining) without steroids. If you've followed his career, you would notice Devon likely only took testosterone at his height when you compare him to guys like Denis (who absolutely takes steroids' because he had multiple health problems like organ failure and is no longer in the game), but no question he geared up for this match.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Devon was always a technical, hook and defensive arm wrestlers throughout his career, even when he was young. If you watch his matches with guys like Breznk, Chaffee, Mask, or Todd, he would also hold his defensive position, but would never maintain centre or attack. After his elbow surgery, even this strategy weakened as he adopted the king move because he didn't have the strength to hook big arm wrestlers. Michael Todd is a kings move guy, but more importantly, he's an offensive, strong, aggressive arm wrestler. He hasn't lost in a long time. Devon maintaining the centre of the table against Michael Todd is unheard of. Pinning Michael without a strap has never happened before. No way Devon became that big and strong so late in his career (when his strength was declining) without steroids. If you've followed his career, you would notice Devon likely only took testosterone at his height when you compare him to guys like Denis (who absolutely takes steroids' because he had multiple health problems like organ failure and is no longer in the game), but no question he geared up for this match.
I'm not sure and have no way to really know one way or the other besides a guess. If he has admitted it then obviously thats different.

Either way I do not care. Steroids to me arent a big deal, but then again I have used them (with legit doctor's supervision, not the Male aging clinc BS) and don't have the taboo about them that a lot of people do. I dont ascribe to the idea that using them is somehow going to make you 10x better. Maybe 10 percent better but thats about it.

Looks like you're more knowledge on the sport regarding technique than I am... To put a bow on the topic, I find it very interesting that you have a cross over of a lot of high level powerlifters in the sport, but even then, a technician is still superior. (Mendelssohn/Spot v Larrat)

Zagor

Woodpecker
Either way I do not care. Steroids to me arent a big deal, but then again I have used them (with legit doctor's supervision, not the Male aging clinc BS) and don't have the taboo about them that a lot of people do. I dont ascribe to the idea that using them is somehow going to make you 10x better. Maybe 10 percent better but thats about it.
depends on the dosage. There are plenty of guys out there that are more than 10% better than what is natty obtainable for most people.

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
I'm not sure and have no way to really know one way or the other besides a guess. If he has admitted it then obviously thats different.

Looks like you're more knowledge on the sport regarding technique than I am... To put a bow on the topic, I find it very interesting that you have a cross over of a lot of high level powerlifters in the sport, but even then, a technician is still superior. (Mendelssohn/Spot v Larrat)
It doesn't offend me either that he took steroids. I enjoyed seeing a technically perfect arm-wrestler fill out his frame and dominate Michael Todd. Elite level strength athletes need to take steroids to remain competitive. Guys that use them intelligently will take them to complement their already elite technique. Strength athletes that abuse them pay the price with a short career and poor health. Dennis Cyplenkov is a good example of a technically and physically gifted arm-wrestler that abused steroids and paid the price.

Arm-wrestling is a combat sport, so it's closer to boxing and MMA than powerlifting or strongman. Strength and mass is a major component of arm-wrestling, which is why you have weight divisions, but technique will always trump strength. A good example was the Russian Schoolboy humiliating Larry Wheels. Larry is much stronger than Schoolboy, but he still arm-wrestles with his biceps.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
And even a 10% edge is massive, especially in any kind of serious athletic competition. 10%=insurmountable lead.
You're taking the 10 percent out of context here. From previous posts you have a bias that steroids make the athlete, when in all cases in the thread the athlete was already there... Any roid use just continued their longevity.

Take powerlifting (thread intent):

Chuck Vogelpohl had records for 10+ years
Eddie Coan (GOAT) had records for 20+ years and had totals 14% above all competitors.
Bill Kazmeir had years of multi sport records and is arguably the greatest strength sport athlete ever.

All guys who have done drugs and said yes they did them.

Then you have guys like Ray Williams who are crushing numbers tested that roided guys never touched before gear.

Genetics do matter.

bucky

Ostrich
You're taking the 10 percent out of context here. From previous posts you have a bias that steroids make the athlete, when in all cases in the thread the athlete was already there... Any roid use just continued their longevity.

Take powerlifting (thread intent):

Chuck Vogelpohl had records for 10+ years
Eddie Coan (GOAT) had records for 20+ years and had totals 14% above all competitors.
Bill Kazmeir had years of multi sport records and is arguably the greatest strength sport athlete ever.

All guys who have done drugs and said yes they did them.

Then you have guys like Ray Williams who are crushing numbers tested that roided guys never touched before gear.

Genetics do matter.
Of course they do, as does effort. All three are necessary to be a high level athlete nowadays: Genetics, effort, and drugs.

bucky

Ostrich

Look at the Raw Tested* records.

1080 squat Raw and Drug Tested.

Not everyone at an elite level is on drugs... Many are but they aren't the panacea.
Legend has it that drug tests have been beaten occasionally and that governing bodies don't always have the means or motivation to test thoroughly. Nevertheless, over 1000 natural is pretty amazing. Makes you wonder what he could do on gear.

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
Legend has it that drug tests have been beaten occasionally and that governing bodies don't always have the means or motivation to test thoroughly. Nevertheless, over 1000 natural is pretty amazing. Makes you wonder what he could do on gear.
There's no such thing as "natural" powerlifting. They are still on juice. Just not as much of it.