Powerlifting

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
So guess who found out they have an umbilical hernia today?

This lucky 37 year old guy who always touted that he’s never had a exercise related injury in his life…

Trust me guys, unless you’re competitive athletes making a living from it lower your weight and do more reps. The weight doesn’t fight back.

Last edited:

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
What wr
So guess who found out they have an umbilical hernia today?

This lucky 37 year old guy who always touted that he’s never had a exercise related injury in his life…

Trust me guys, unless you’re competitive athletes making a living from it lower your weight and do more reps. The weight doesn’t fight back.
What were you doing when it happened?

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
What were you doing when it happened?

Deadlifts of course, not even heavy deads I stopped doing those a while ago, 3 sets of 275 for 6 reps. Now I’m even afraid of squats which kinda hurts my soul I always felt it was important to have a strong base, although I always got more out of lunges over squats anyway. But still I’m leery of even those now, but less weight so they are a better option we’ll see how it goes….front squats might also be an option with significantly lower weight for the same workout but again…leery.

It’s not something crazy or dire I just have a bulge on the side of my belly button, feels weird pushing it back in now that I know what it is but it does have some random discomfort to it at times. I’ll just be working or sitting there having dinner and my stomach will start hurting in that specific spot, like a dull annoying pain and I can’t keep my stomach in I look like I’m pregnant. Part that sucks is I have to have surgery to fix it with the downtime that comes with it….and of course who likes having surgery?!

bucky

Ostrich
Deadlifts of course, not even heavy deads I stopped doing those a while ago, 3 sets of 275 for 6 reps. Now I’m even afraid of squats which kinda hurts my soul I always felt it was important to have a strong base, although I always got more out of lunges over squats anyway. But still I’m leery of even those now, but less weight so they are a better option we’ll see how it goes….front squats might also be an option with significantly lower weight for the same workout but again…leery.

It’s not something crazy or dire I just have a bulge on the side of my belly button, feels weird pushing it back in now that I know what it is but it does have some random discomfort to it at times. I’ll just be working or sitting there having dinner and my stomach will start hurting in that specific spot, like a dull annoying pain and I can’t keep my stomach in I look like I’m pregnant. Part that sucks is I have to have surgery to fix it with the downtime that comes with it….and of course who likes having surgery?!
I had a pretty devastating injury with heavy dead lifts when I was in my 30s. Now I just just do front squats and Romanian dead lifts with dumbbells instead of the more conventional forms of those exercises. Nothing too heavy, of course. Everyone is different, but I find those are much easier on my back. One thing I found that helps a lot with front squats is to not try to hook your thumbs under the bar. Much easier both on the wrists and your back.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich

That sucks man.

I've never had a stomach hernia...my understanding is that it's mostly genetic. Knew a guy in the Marines who did our entire basic school course with a hernia.
He would push it back in and keep trucking... but he was a tough dude...My understanding is if you get it repaired, you should insist on double mesh/bilateral repair... and it is correctable

This is according to Rippetoe atleast who had a hernia himself.

Hope you the best in recovery.

I had a pretty devastating injury with heavy dead lifts when I was in my 30s. Now I just just do front squats and Romanian dead lifts with dumbbells instead of the more conventional forms of those exercises. Nothing too heavy, of course. Everyone is different, but I find those are much easier on my back. One thing I found that helps a lot with front squats is to not try to hook your thumbs under the bar. Much easier both on the wrists and your back.

Also you can wrap wrist wraps around the bar and use those around the bar like straps.

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Started bulking a couple months ago and my power and strength are increasingly noticeably. I've only put on 6 pounds but my PRs are exploding and today I squatted 225 for reps for the first time. Turns out Eric Bugenhagen was right when he said "mass moves mass!"

And the video posted above taught me how to Front Squat with straps, which is the only form I use with them now. Bar crushes my throat a little but it's manageable and seems to help a lot with Back Squat too.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Started bulking a couple months ago and my power and strength are increasingly noticeably. I've only put on 6 pounds but my PRs are exploding and today I squatted 225 for reps for the first time. Turns out Eric Bugenhagen was right when he said "mass moves mass!"

And the video posted above taught me how to Front Squat with straps, which is the only form I use with them now. Bar crushes my throat a little but it's manageable and seems to help a lot with Back Squat too.
Right on... sometimes you gotta gain a little weight.

If you build up your delts you'll eventually have the bar sit a little more comfortably and this will alleviate that.

I use a harness for front squat most of the time. Are you backsquatting also?

MichaelWitcoff

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Yep, I meant I can back squat 225 and the front squats (different day) seem to help build back squat strength as well. Can’t do nearly the same weight but it seems to make a difference overall.

Penitent

Robin
Orthodox
I'm going to keep lifting. I just reached one of my goals the other week, squatting 3 wheels (315) for 3x3. My next goal is to get up to a bodyweight of 200 lbs. Currently I weigh 196 (up 36 lbs from a baseline of 160 when I started lifting). As I work doing physical labor, the extra strength is really helping. The high protein intake might shave a few years off of my life, but thats a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

Regarding Rip, I have utmost respect for the man. My program is roughly based on his SS model. The only thing I would disagree with him on is his statement in the introduction of his book that "Physical strength is the most important thing in life." He goes on to say a bit further down "This reality is offensive to some people who would like the intellectual or spiritual to take precedence." (p.1 SS Basic Barbell Training 3rd edition). He basically is making an idol out of strength.

bucky

Ostrich
I'm going to keep lifting. I just reached one of my goals the other week, squatting 3 wheels (315) for 3x3. My next goal is to get up to a bodyweight of 200 lbs. Currently I weigh 196 (up 36 lbs from a baseline of 160 when I started lifting). As I work doing physical labor, the extra strength is really helping. The high protein intake might shave a few years off of my life, but thats a tradeoff I'm willing to make.

Regarding Rip, I have utmost respect for the man. My program is roughly based on his SS model. The only thing I would disagree with him on is his statement in the introduction of his book that "Physical strength is the most important thing in life." He goes on to say a bit further down "This reality is offensive to some people who would like the intellectual or spiritual to take precedence." (p.1 SS Basic Barbell Training 3rd edition). He basically is making an idol out of strength.
Yes, that's a pretty big blind spot. Sounds like quite the red flag, to be honest. The only thing I can think of where raw physical strength is the most important is power lifting, to be honest. Impressing other guys at the gym too, I guess.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Yes, that's a pretty big blind spot. Sounds like quite the red flag, to be honest. The only thing I can think of where raw physical strength is the most important is power lifting, to be honest. Impressing other guys at the gym too, I guess.

I dont care for rip's religious( or lack their of )beliefs but he's great otherwise.

One can argue as the Soviets and rip and Louie Simmons do that absolute Strength is the most important physical attribute for all athletic endeavors.

bucky

Ostrich
Well, you can also impress the girls. An unintended consequence, but I'll take it ;).
I don't think women care how much you lift. They care about aesthetics, but that's different.

I was thinking about that Riptoe quote about physical strength today and how colossally stupid it is. Outside of powerlifting I can't think of any reason extreme physical strength is even very useful. If you have to lift an object that weighs several times more than you by yourself, getting a dollie or forklift makes more sense than spending thousands of hours that could be better devoted to something else trying to become the forklift.

If a genie gave me one wish and I had to choose something physical, I'd much rather use it to become elite at fighting or surfing than lifting heavy barbells.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
I don't think women care how much you lift. They care about aesthetics, but that's different.

I was thinking about that Riptoe quote about physical strength today and how colossally stupid it is. Outside of powerlifting I can't think of any reason extreme physical strength is even very useful. If you have to lift an object that weighs several times more than you by yourself, getting a dollie or forklift makes more sense than spending thousands of hours that could be better devoted to something else trying to become the forklift.

If a genie gave me one wish and I had to choose something physical, I'd much rather use it to become elite at fighting or surfing than lifting heavy barbells.
Yes, but absolute strength aids in all athletic endeavors.

That's why folks like Kevin Randleman, Stepe Miocec, and others all weight train.

For them weight training is GPP (general purpose physical preparedness) vs doing the big 3 in powerlifting which is SPP (sport specific physical preparedness)

To that point, why did Charles Poliquin focus on getting all his athlete as strong as possible?

bucky

Ostrich
Yes, but absolute strength aids in all athletic endeavors.

That's why folks like Kevin Randleman, Stepe Miocec, and others all weight train.

For them weight training is GPP (general purpose physical preparedness) vs doing the big 3 in powerlifting which is SPP (sport specific physical preparedness)

To that point, why did Charles Poliquin focus on getting all his athlete as strong as possible?
Raw strength is absolutely important in all sports. Even in golf. Not to mention greatly beneficial for your overall health, although you don't need anywhere near serious powerlifter numbers to be healthy.

But unless I'm missremembering the Riptoe quote, he said that raw phsyical strength is the most important thing in life, full stop. That's truly one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. Wouldn't have even been true in the caveman days, because you'd get other men from your tribe to help you lift that heavy log or boulder. But nowadays when we have forklifts? It's just a staggeringly dumb way to look at life.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Raw strength is absolutely important in all sports. Even in golf. Not to mention greatly beneficial for your overall health, although you don't need anywhere near serious powerlifter numbers to be healthy.

But unless I'm missremembering the Riptoe quote, he said that raw phsyical strength is the most important thing in life, full stop. That's truly one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. Wouldn't have even been true in the caveman days, because you'd get other men from your tribe to help you lift that heavy log or boulder. But nowadays when we have forklifts? It's just a staggeringly dumb way to look at life.
Yeah he's definitely using hyperbole.

I love being strong. But I recognize that one day that isn't going to be in my capabilities. Weight training has helped my sanity and given me an outlet for my stress and anger in conjunction with other things (Chruch being the most important)

That's probably true, but acquiring strength usually means acquiring mass, which doesn't aid in all athletic endeavors. I was much weaker at 80kg than I'm now at 95kg, yet I was a much better runner.
Absolutely. Different energy systems are involved in different endeavors. I ran sub 7 minute miles at 175 and could probably deadlift 315 on a good day. My back was always hurting and I felt bad. (5'6'') but I could run for days...

Got out, fixed my back via a reverse hyper and now I'm smashing weights. I'm in a different type of cardiovascular shape. Having more muscle and a thicker midsection by focusing on building obliques made my back pain disappear. Having a high absolute strength means things like a 500 lbs squat means I can bend over and pick up things that weigh 100 lbs with much less fatigue than if my Max strength in the squat was 200 lbs. Most of life is lived in short bursts not repeated Long endurance activities.

Penitent

Robin
Orthodox
But unless I'm missremembering the Riptoe quote, he said that raw phsyical strength is the most important thing in life, full stop. That's truly one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard.
Agreed. Rip has undoubtedly been the most successful person in history at getting lots of people strong, but this focus of his comes at a cost. There are people in the strength training community who sever their relationship with him because of his myopic viewpoint. Nevertheless, I put up with it when I listen to his podcast because I learn a lot from him. He is surprisingly red-pilled on other subjects besides strength training as well.