Powerlifting

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
Agreed. Rip has undoubtedly been the most successful person in history at getting lots of people strong, but this focus of his comes at a cost. There are people in the strength training community who sever their relationship with him because of his myopic viewpoint. Nevertheless, I put up with it when I listen to his podcast because I learn a lot from him. He is surprisingly red-pilled on other subjects besides strength training as well.
Rip is right about a lot of things, but when he's wrong, he's embarrassingly wrong because he's so stubborn. His position on RPE is the latest example where he's purposely obtuse about a concept.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
Rip is right about a lot of things, but when he's wrong, he's embarrassingly wrong because he's so stubborn. His position on RPE is the latest example where he's purposely obtuse about a concept.
While his 5 lbs a week linear progression works for a long long time.... I've got his grey book and blue book. I never hear him reference Perilipin's Chart.

I am not into the RPE stuff so much, via the Renaisannce Periodization folks and Mike Israetel (though he did do Rips podcast recently)
I prefer the percentages of a 1RM for work outs... but regardless there is a place for that.

IMMImedia

Sparrow
May have pumped iron for other reasons than you guys. Did it to get healthy, and get a body I could be happy with. Not to become strong. We seem to have focused on very different areas. You focus a lot on legs and chest. I never made much progress on deadlist or benchpress. Weakest one in the bunch there. I wonder why you do not focus on the coremuscles and other mucles that binds together with chest and legs to progress? I mainly did upper back, triceps, biceps and abs. Did yoga and some other stuff for lower back. Perhaps you do not need upper back so much for legs and chest, but you need abs and lower back to be strong.

The main reason for getting serious about abs was for the benchpress. For the little progress I made. I was very strong in the triceps, the upper back and shoulders, so it must be something else that is missing. Got a sixpack too, lean lower back, but never really progressed. Have very long arms, could partly explain it, too big for my body, almost like a gorilla. Should have my pantspockets at my knees, not at the hips, or start with saggy pants. Just a thought, to train the explosivity, speed of the legs, shoulders, and abs instead. To progress in bench strengthwise. Martial arts. I think I made some progress when I did kickboxing one month.

max in backpull was about 320 lbs I think, if lbs is half of kg.
max in curls was 60-70 lbs
And bench never got over 120 no matter what. Never figured it out.
Like 100 on the legs, not the deadlift, but some sort of machine you sat down in, where a barbelle sat in place, then you steppet up.

Theese two areas are a mystery in traiining. I think it might be genes, either ou have it or not. Cannot be strong in back and chest at the same time perhaps. When I hit a wall in progression I could not go past, I took a month off, and came back 20% weaker and started again, with a slightly different program, that seemed to work for the other areas.

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
While his 5 lbs a week linear progression works for a long long time.... I've got his grey book and blue book. I never hear him reference Perilipin's Chart.

I am not into the RPE stuff so much, via the Renaisannce Periodization folks and Mike Israetel (though he did do Rips podcast recently)
I prefer the percentages of a 1RM for work outs... but regardless there is a place for that.
I don't think Rip understands what RPE even means. Even if a program doesn't explicitly use RPE, it will have an implied RPE. A 1RM is simply 1 rep at 10RPE. A 3RM is 3 reps at 10 RPE. If you are doing 5*5, you are likely leaving a little "in the tank," which just means you are doing 5 reps at RPE 8.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
This is motivating and demotivating at the exact same time:
That dude is a Dildo and a clown. But A Safety Squat Deadlift Combo is a legit movement.

if you want stupid lift videos look up Jujimufu. I have seen people do SSB/Rack Pull combos like that. You can find on the Elite FTS website one of their athletes doing several reps of this. That is actually a legit movement. I've done it with 155 on the SSB and 225 pins at just below the knee level... It is a back destroyer ( in a good way).
I don't think Rip understands what RPE even means. Even if a program doesn't explicitly use RPE, it will have an implied RPE. A 1RM is simply 1 rep at 10RPE. A 3RM is 3 reps at 10 RPE. If you are doing 5*5, you are likely leaving a little "in the tank," which just means you are doing 5 reps at RPE 8.
Yeah, Rip is pretty set in his ways. It works for 90% of the population who isnt going to advance from novice to intermediate level.... but No Elite Powerlifters or Athletes follow the Texas Method that I am aware of. Plenty of High School kids do, but thats about it. Compare that to Conjugate lifting. A Majority of World Class lifters Raw or Equipped have followed Conjugate including athletes in multiple sports.

I dont do RPE because I dont know how to guage it personally. But I am sure it does work for a lot of people... I prefer the percentage based training because I can take 1 Max (Bench or Squat) and apply roughly the same percentages accross 4 or 6 different variations of the exercise for beating records.

May have pumped iron for other reasons than you guys. Did it to get healthy, and get a body I could be happy with. Not to become strong. We seem to have focused on very different areas. You focus a lot on legs and chest. I never made much progress on deadlist or benchpress. Weakest one in the bunch there. I wonder why you do not focus on the coremuscles and other mucles that binds together with chest and legs to progress? I mainly did upper back, triceps, biceps and abs. Did yoga and some other stuff for lower back. Perhaps you do not need upper back so much for legs and chest, but you need abs and lower back to be strong.

The main reason for getting serious about abs was for the benchpress. For the little progress I made. I was very strong in the triceps, the upper back and shoulders, so it must be something else that is missing. Got a sixpack too, lean lower back, but never really progressed. Have very long arms, could partly explain it, too big for my body, almost like a gorilla. Should have my pantspockets at my knees, not at the hips, or start with saggy pants. Just a thought, to train the explosivity, speed of the legs, shoulders, and abs instead. To progress in bench strengthwise. Martial arts. I think I made some progress when I did kickboxing one month.

max in backpull was about 320 lbs I think, if lbs is half of kg.
max in curls was 60-70 lbs
And bench never got over 120 no matter what. Never figured it out.
Like 100 on the legs, not the deadlift, but some sort of machine you sat down in, where a barbelle sat in place, then you steppet up.

Theese two areas are a mystery in traiining. I think it might be genes, either ou have it or not. Cannot be strong in back and chest at the same time perhaps. When I hit a wall in progression I could not go past, I took a month off, and came back 20% weaker and started again, with a slightly different program, that seemed to work for the other areas.
Not to be ugly, are you not a native english speaker? I am finding a couple points broken, but maybe can help...

You are not talking about powerlifting... but thats ok! If you have long arms you might verywell be good for the deadlift. Also really focusing on the triceps in an strategic manner will build your bench. ..

What program were you following... If you're looking for a squat bench and deadlift starting program, I would look into the Starting Strength program as a base.... and proceed from there as you learn better form in the classic lifts.

I did hypertrophy focused work outs while in the Marines, but once I got out and let my caloric intake increase as well as stop worrying about abs, I got very strong and much more muscular (though I did gain fat)

anyway cheers and hope you respond to get some insight/help if youre' really interested.

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
Yeah, Rip is pretty set in his ways. It works for 90% of the population who isnt going to advance from novice to intermediate level.... but No Elite Powerlifters or Athletes follow the Texas Method that I am aware of. Plenty of High School kids do, but thats about it. Compare that to Conjugate lifting. A Majority of World Class lifters Raw or Equipped have followed Conjugate including athletes in multiple sports.

I dont do RPE because I dont know how to guage it personally. But I am sure it does work for a lot of people... I prefer the percentage based training because I can take 1 Max (Bench or Squat) and apply roughly the same percentages accross 4 or 6 different variations of the exercise for beating records.
You don't need to gauge RPE. You place your 1RM into a calculator, and it will tell you what your RPE is for any type of rep range. For example, an 1 RM of 200kg means your 8 RPE at 5 reps is 162.2 kg. My current program uses both RPE and percentages, so they are not mutually exclusive. RPE is just another tool in your programming to help you with development and peaking.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
You don't need to gauge RPE. You place your 1RM into a calculator, and it will tell you what your RPE is for any type of rep range. For example, an 1 RM of 200kg means your 8 RPE at 5 reps is 162.2 kg. My current program uses both RPE and percentages, so they are not mutually exclusive. RPE is just another tool in your programming to help you with development and peaking.
I see. I have just used prilepin's chart.

1626376900547.png

Penitent

Sparrow
Orthodox
I reached my other goal this past week...stepped on the scale and weighed in at 202 lbs, surpassing my goal of 200. I surprised even myself :oops:.
I accomplished this on a 3 day split, probably spending no more than 4 hrs. a week in the gym. Less is more when it comes to lifting. I think in the past I probably pushed myself too hard and my numbers in terms of weight on the bar were suppressed.

MichaelWitcoff

Ostrich
Orthodox
Dunno why but for some reason both elbows starting hurting this week after I did one-arm DB rows (95lbs). Did them same way I usually do but they’ve been off ever since. Any suggestions to help with elbow pain?

get2choppaaa

Pelican
Dunno why but for some reason both elbows starting hurting this week after I did one-arm DB rows (95lbs). Did them same way I usually do but they’ve been off ever since. Any suggestions to help with elbow pain?
Where is the pain?

is it medial or lateral epicondalytis? Is it fore arm top of elbow? Extensors? ect...

How long does the pain persist?

I would correct whatever form as you are likely perforoming some form of wrist curl when rowing and causing microtears in the ligaments and tendons.

You can also try the pin fire chin up method where you do roughly half your max of chinups every other day (this will cause the inflatmation cycle to occur and though painful, will ultimately solve the issue)

I wear elbow sleeves with capsacian cream in them. MUY CALIENTE! but it works to numb the area when I have elbow pain.

MichaelWitcoff

Ostrich
Orthodox
Decided to take a week off upper body lifts and see if that helps. Just did some abs and legs this week (including a squat PR today of 225 x 8 for 3 sets). Gonna go back to Bench Press tomorrow (shooting for a PR of 215 x 4 for 4 sets) and hopefully the week off healed whatever was happening. The elbow pain was inside by where the biceps attach, which is a different spot than I saw talked about in any of the main videos I found.

Last edited:

get2choppaaa

Pelican
Decided to take a week off upper body lifts and see if that helps. Just did some abs and legs this week (including a PR today of 225 x 8 for 3 sets). Gonna go back to Bench Press tomorrow (shooting for a PR of 215 x 4 for 4 sets) and hopefully the week off healed whatever was happening. The elbow pain was inside by where the biceps attach, which is a different spot than I saw talked about in any of the main videos I found.
Sometimes you need a week. I had an injury flare up this week also. Kills me to take the time off but it's part of the game.

Have you looked into elbow sleeves? I would encourage the iron rebel elbow sleeves.

MichaelWitcoff

Ostrich
Orthodox
Just bought a pair on your suggestion, should be here soon. I'm not clear on how the mechanism of injury prevention works by wearing a sleeve but a lot of people seem to believe that it does work. How exactly do they help?

get2choppaaa

Pelican
Just bought a pair on your suggestion, should be here soon. I'm not clear on how the mechanism of injury prevention works by wearing a sleeve but a lot of people seem to believe that it does work. How exactly do they help?
As long as you have the measurements correctly sized they provide compression and warmth this keeps the information from arising.
I use with capsaicin cream if extremely painful. Then take a small Dixie cup and freeze them use as a message tool.

That should take care of you.

Raw strength is absolutely important in all sports. Even in golf. Not to mention greatly beneficial for your overall health, although you don't need anywhere near serious powerlifter numbers to be healthy.

But unless I'm missremembering the Riptoe quote, he said that raw phsyical strength is the most important thing in life, full stop. That's truly one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard. Wouldn't have even been true in the caveman days, because you'd get other men from your tribe to help you lift that heavy log or boulder. But nowadays when we have forklifts? It's just a staggeringly dumb way to look at life.

Agreed the Riptoe quote makes no sense. The reason man dominated the animals was not because his raw physical strength was greater, it's because his mental ability was greater (communication, use of tools, tribe organization/hierarchy, long-term planning, preservation of knowledge by oral tradition and writing, etc...) Man has no natural physical weapons or defenses like claws, big sharp teeth, fur, or scales, that would be useful against any large wild predator.

Of course the primary reason man dominated the animals was because God gave him dominion over all creatures. However, the domination was not done by physical strength, it was by mental superiority. Now, oddly, that mental superiority resulted in man having the ability with the push of a button to destroy the entire planet along with himself (see quote in my signature...)

get2choppaaa

Pelican
Agreed the Riptoe quote makes no sense. The reason man dominated the animals was not because his raw physical strength was greater, it's because his mental ability was greater (communication, use of tools, tribe organization/hierarchy, long-term planning, preservation of knowledge by oral tradition and writing, etc...) Man has no natural physical weapons or defenses like claws, big sharp teeth, fur, or scales, that would be useful against any large wild predator.

Of course the primary reason man dominated the animals was because God gave him dominion over all creatures. However, the domination was not done by physical strength, it was by mental superiority. Now, oddly, that mental superiority resulted in man having the ability with the push of a button to destroy the entire planet along with himself (see quote in my signature...)
Yes but in the context of sports he is saying that absolute strength is the king determinate in success.

Let's be as generous with Rip as we would be with anyone who is making a bold statement for effect.

If you think Rip is disregarding intellect them you're retarded and haven't listened to much Rippetoe commentary where he explains the bell curve, and take your average idiot at a bar, then realize that 1/2 the population is dumber than that. So I'm assuming you're not making that argument.

IM3000

Pelican
The elbow pain was inside by where the biceps attach, which is a different spot than I saw talked about in any of the main videos I found.
Sounds like golfer's elbow. You ought to be careful with this, otherwise it might become chronic. I'm struggling with this for over a year now. I.e. I can still work out, but I cannot do pull ups anymore. None of the methods I found on the internet helped nor did going to physiotherapy. Sucks big league.

A good test to determine if it really is golfer's elbow is to press with your thumb against the inside of your ring finger between the first and second joint. If you can feel it in your elbow, it's golfer's elbow.

bucky

Ostrich
Yes but in the context of sports he is saying that absolute strength is the king determinate in success.

Let's be as generous with Rip as we would be with anyone who is making a bold statement for effect.

If you think Rip is disregarding intellect them you're retarded and haven't listened to much Rippetoe commentary where he explains the bell curve, and take your average idiot at a bar, then realize that 1/2 the population is dumber than that. So I'm assuming you're not making that argument.
I've never read any Riptoe or listened to any of his programs. Unless I misread it, the quote said that physical strength is the most important thing in life, with no qualification that he was actually talking about sports. That would be less insane and stupid, but still demonstrably false, except for sports like powerlifting. I'd much rather be a great surfer or fighter than a great powerlifter. Strength is certainly important in surfing and fighting but far from the most important thing. Having a typical powerlifter's body would actually be a disadvantage in surfing and arguably also in many types of fighting.