Powerlifting

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Planning on doing a meet around feb-march also.

Just out of curiosity what weigh class/equipment federation you gonna compete in?

What sort of training regiment are you running?

I'd say pick your openers at a number you can hit (say 90percent).

Do you know how big your meet is? If it's gonna have 50 lifters it's gonna be a while between attempts compared to a meet with 20 lifters.

Check out the elitefts archive below.

Last edited:

Penitent

Robin
Orthodox
The meet is through USPA. It will be limited to 60 lifters. I currently weigh 204 at 6', but by then I expect to add a few pounds. I've been lifting 3 days a week doing full body workouts (mainly squat, bench, deadlift, and press). I've been milking linear progression for almost a year and I am just now starting to miss reps, so I might have to change things us a bit. I use an online coaching service through BLOC.

JohnKreese

Pelican
I was going to sign up for a meet earlier this year, but, as crazy as it sounds, balked at the "all competitors must wear a singlet" requirement. I know its common in powerlifting, but c'mon. What's wrong with a standard-fitting t-shirt and shorts?

Was too bad, too. I easily would have won the 74kg class (regional meet, nothing major).

For the first-time competitor, I would suggest this classic:

Prepping for Your First Powerlifting Meet​

Really hits on a lot of facets of breaking through the mental barriers of competing, meet-specific programming prep, and weight selection.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
The meet is through USPA. It will be limited to 60 lifters. I currently weigh 204 at 6', but by then I expect to add a few pounds. I've been lifting 3 days a week doing full body workouts (mainly squat, bench, deadlift, and press). I've been milking linear progression for almost a year and I am just now starting to miss reps, so I might have to change things us a bit. I use an online coaching service through BLOC.

Right on.

I've really enjoyed a 4 day Congugate split. I wish I would have started out doing this earlier. Would have helped the mental barrier of missing a lift in the conventional lifts...

Plus you get so many builders and testers and exercise variety.

Also can I suggest a sled if you're not using it for recovery and also overload. (I like the Elite FTS sled.. but the westside one or the rogue sled are great also... I'm talking sled not Prowler here. The Prowler just beats me too too bad into my recovery)

Uzisuicide

Kingfisher
Gold Member
I made the mistake of pushing the limit too far. I went too heavy too soon at the gym. My age finally caughr up to me. Elbows and shoulder primarily on my weaker side are giving me problems that I'm trying to work around. Are thery any foods or supplements that can help strengthen and heal connective tissue?

newcomer

Sparrow
Orthodox Inquirer
I made the mistake of pushing the limit too far. I went too heavy too soon at the gym. My age finally caughr up to me. Elbows and shoulder primarily on my weaker side are giving me problems that I'm trying to work around. Are thery any foods or supplements that can help strengthen and heal connective tissue?
Light pump work/bands help with my elbow pain, pushing the blood into the tissue and helping it to recover.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich

@newcomer is correct.

Bloodflow via ultra high reps will help.

Also chin ups will help elbow pain (not pullups but chin ups) Google mark Rippetoe and chin up elbow pain.

Supplements wise: BCM95 circumen (basically herbal in profen) capsaicin cream and horse liniment and a good set of elbow sleeves (i like iron rebel, not too thick but still supportive) will allow you to train through this (look up Ben Pollack Unf**" your elbows)

Ultra high rep band push downs (like sets of 200 every day for these will help.

Also I use ice immediately post work out and an electronic stimulation device for 20 mins on the area. (Currently dealing with shoulder pain) also anti inflammatory are your friend, or Ib profen 800 mg for 2 weeks 3x a day.

As far as collagen synthesis....If you were doing TRT and had a good doctor, low dose nandralone (100mg a week is what's been used in studies) has shown itself to rebuild tissue in the joints and no negative side affects... But I don't think that you are looking for that route nor am I saying that you should do that...but it does work for a purely medicinal and not cosmetic reason. Dr Lipshultz at Baylor has produced studies showing this.
(not advocating exogenous anabolic steroid use just providing facts)

Uzisuicide

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Thanks for the input guys. With appropriate blood tests and medical input I'm on week 7 of 500mg Test E and 400mg Nandralone D per week. So hopefully that can help recovery. I'll give the other ideas a try and figure out what works. Didn't have the joint problems at thirty something but they're sure here at 40 something.

get2choppaaa

Ostrich
Thanks for the input guys. With appropriate blood tests and medical input I'm on week 7 of 500mg Test E and 400mg Nandralone D per week. So hopefully that can help recovery. I'll give the other ideas a try and figure out what works. Didn't have the joint problems at thirty something but they're sure here at 40 something.
Well disregard my comment about the hot sauce... That ought to do a lot more than heal your joints haha.

Also, i would vary angles on your movements as majority of elbow pain is from overuse and bad shoulder/wrist mechanics.

I had a lot of elbow pain with benching until I corrected the angle of my forearm and wrist and learned not to let my wrists roll back.