Powerlifting

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I've had a similar problem this year except that it is my deadlift and bench that have been increasing, while my squat has stalled.

If you want your bench to go up, train it more often. Since bench is less stressful overall than squat or deadlift you are able to train it more often anyways.

This is a little unusual. Try eating more calories.
You might need a look at your form. Are you squatting wide? Verticle shin and spreading the floor with your feet or are you squatting narrow and pushing your toes forward?

Over time people can become much stronger with a wider squat with a more verticle shin... But people usually don't spend the time to build the hips/hams.

Also where's your sticking point? Bottom ? Middle? Top?

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Anyone else find that their squats/DLs improve easily but not other lifts?

I've managed to get my squats from 3RM @ 215lbs to about 265 lbs. Deadlift 3RM @ 305 to 365. Meanwhile my OHP, bent over rows, and bench have barely gone up despite doing them just as often if not slightly more so.

Note my weight has not changed (170 lbs) since I started lifting seriously again about 6 months ago so that factors in too.
How tall are you?

At a certain point you should be gaining weight as you're strength increases.

Diadem

Woodpecker
Orthodox
You might need a look at your form. Are you squatting wide? Verticle shin and spreading the floor with your feet or are you squatting narrow and pushing your toes forward?

Over time people can become much stronger with a wider squat with a more verticle shin... But people usually don't spend the time to build the hips/hams.

Also where's your sticking point? Bottom ? Middle? Top?
I think the problem was that the gym owner was over-training me (see my post above). I've actually gone back to programming for myself and have set PR's for 3x5 two weeks in a row so I think my squat should be headed back up. I did learn quite a bit from him though. He really helped me get improve my form on bench. They say he is a "master" on the bench press.

I do tend to have a narrower stance though.

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I think the problem was that the gym owner was over-training me (see my post above). I've actually gone back to programming for myself and have set PR's for 3x5 two weeks in a row so I think my squat should be headed back up. I did learn quite a bit from him though. He really helped me get improve my form on bench. They say he is a "master" on the bench press.

I do tend to have a narrower stance though.
Very good. It's good to find out what works and doesn't

It's still not bad if one thing stalled while another progressed.

If your squat stayed the same but your bench went up, your total increased and that's the name of the game.

A lot of the things that benefit squat and deadlift are syneegystic, so a riding a sticking point in one will usually fix the other too.

Batman_

Kingfisher
I've had a similar problem this year except that it is my deadlift and bench that have been increasing, while my squat has stalled.

If you want your bench to go up, train it more often. Since bench is less stressful overall than squat or deadlift you are able to train it more often anyways.

This is a little unusual. Try eating more calories.
I only squat or deadlift 1-2x a week between the two, and when I do I typically only do 4 sets of 3. I get it recruits more muscles, but still... I bench press at least twice a week and also do tons of dips (with more reps/weight over time), yet this hasn't translated into better press somehow...

How tall are you?

At a certain point you should be gaining weight as you're strength increases.
I'm 6', but I don't want to gain any fat. I want to get stronger and get my BF% down from about 15-16% to 12%. They say you cannot gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously, but I've already done this to a noticeable degree. Wish I had taken pics to prove it.

I'm assuming my strength gains are more on the neuromuscular/nervous system side rather than actual muscle mass at this point.

Last edited:

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I only squat or deadlift 1-2x a week between the two, and when I do I typically only do 4 sets of 3. I get it recruits more muscles, but still... I bench press at least twice a week and also do tons of dips (with more reps/weight over time), yet this hasn't translated into better press somehow...

I'm 6', but I don't want to gain any fat. I want to get stronger and get my BF% down from about 15-16% to 12%. They say you cannot gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously, but I've already done this to a noticeable degree. Wish I had taken pics to prove it.

I'm assuming my strength gains are more on the neuromuscular/nervous system side rather than actual muscle mass at this point.
Not to deep dive on the nutrition side... But I'm quite sure you're not eating enough.

Eventually you'll reach a point where you have to increase calories to grow.

For every 1 lb of lean tissue you burn 30 kcal. So out on 10 lbs of muscle and you burn 300 more kcal at you basal metabolic rate.

You cannot gain muscle with out some fat gain. Even best case scenario it's a 2 to 1 ration, and you have to be in a caloric surplus for this to occurs. Fundamental laws of thermodynamics apply here.

That not withstanding...

If you're wanting to lifts to go up, eat and program adjustments are in order.

Your form probably is bad for bench...with out watching you. I mean that or you're programming is off... What are you doing program wise?

Gaining weight and increasing leverages is the fastest way to improve these... But you don't want to do that so I don't see your progression on that occuring.

For the record, there are plenty of shredded powerlifters... You can build a great base of strength first and diet as needed. But if youre not eating for recovery you cant grow.

A 250 kcal a day increase could be enough to grow tissue with out turning you into a blob...

Last edited:

rodion

Robin
Orthodox

You can gain muscle and lose fat if you’re an untrained beginner, or you’re returning to lifting after a significant lay-off. Otherwise your goal is to minimise the inevitable fat gain.

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Here's a good sled dragging video for GPP .

For those who havent' done sled drags, your are really really missing out on your general physical preparedness, and you can do this anywhere, even if you dont own a gym membership or home gym.

2-4 x 45lb plates and a sled ($100) is all you need. and you can get a really good work out on off days or as a finisher on days.

So a typical Max effort lower day:
-Box Squat Top set of 1-3
-Reduce weight and do same 3 x 6
-Reverse Hypers 3 sets 30
-Abs 3
Sled Drags: 6-8 sled drags 30 yards there and 30 yards back. I try and take 60 seconds or less rest. It will smoke you. I try and do it in less that 15 mins, If I get to 8 in less that 14 mins, I add weight and start over.

Days when I am beat up on upper body, I'll do upper body drags of various angles.

This video is pretty good.

Batman_

Kingfisher
Not to deep dive on the nutrition side... But I'm quite sure you're not eating enough.

Eventually you'll reach a point where you have to increase calories to grow.

For every 1 lb of lean tissue you burn 30 kcal. So out on 10 lbs of muscle and you burn 300 more kcal at you basal metabolic rate.

You cannot gain muscle with out some fat gain. Even best case scenario it's a 2 to 1 ration, and you have to be in a caloric surplus for this to occurs. Fundamental laws of thermodynamics apply here.

That not withstanding...

If you're wanting to lifts to go up, eat and program adjustments are in order.

Your form probably is bad for bench...with out watching you. I mean that or you're programming is off... What are you doing program wise?

Gaining weight and increasing leverages is the fastest way to improve these... But you don't want to do that so I don't see your progression on that occuring.

For the record, there are plenty of shredded powerlifters... You can build a great base of strength first and diet as needed. But if youre not eating for recovery you cant grow.

A 250 kcal a day increase could be enough to grow tissue with out turning you into a blob...

You're missing my point when I said my Squat/DL continue to improve (and my max reps/weight for chinups/dips) and my overall muscle mass despite gaining no weight. And my other lifts in general are improving, just very slowly.

My bench form is good, don't do that arched back BS or lowering the bar too far up my torso, or bounching it off my chest or having my legs/feet off the ground like so many other retards do. And in fact I've never once had shoulder pains in my 7 years of lifting.

You can gain muscle and lose fat if you’re an untrained beginner, or you’re returning to lifting after a significant lay-off. Otherwise your goal is to minimise the inevitable fat gain.
I went without lifting for a year during the lockdowns, and took me a while to get back into it. I am probably reaching the point of diminishing returns now, though.

Last edited:

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
You're missing my point when I said my Squat/DL continue to improve (and my max reps/weight for chinups/dips) and my overall muscle mass despite gaining no weight. And my other lifts in general are improving, just very slowly.

My bench form is good, don't do that arched back BS or lowering the bar too far up my torso, or bounching it off my chest or having my legs/feet off the ground like so many other retards do. And in fact I've never once had shoulder pains in my 7 years of lifting.

I went without lifting for a year during the lockdowns, and took me a while to get back into it. I am probably reaching the point of diminishing returns now, though.
Ok, maybe I misread you... As far as body fat goes, I am saying that eventually you will reach a point where you will have to gain some weight to push weights and leverages...maybe not now, but eventually.

If you're not interested in that, I understand... But you're also not going to get maximally strong. So just depends on your goals here...

Some areas to note on bench:

Where is your sticking point?

Are your wrists straight up and down?

How much direct upper back work are you doing in a training cycle?
(Are you doing heavy BO rows?)

How much direct Tricep work?

What variations of bench are you doing to address your sticking point?

Wreckingball

Pelican
Catholic
At the age of almost 35 and after 2 years of not doing much due to covid and a baby I cleaned out my home gym and restarted to lift weights.
I restarted Stronglifts (5x5) and will be doing it 3 times a week.
Any inputs for a once again lifting newbie? Any good recommendation for post workout stretches? Any recommendations on what to do the remaining 4 days?

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
At the age of almost 35 and after 2 years of not doing much due to covid and a baby I cleaned out my home gym and restarted to lift weights.
I restarted Stronglifts (5x5) and will be doing it 3 times a week.
Any inputs for a once again lifting newbie? Any good recommendation for post workout stretches? Any recommendations on what to do the remaining 4 days?
On the off days I would go for a couple long walks. Frankly anything you can do to increase your cardiovascular health will help with soreness, muscle recovery, and of course general health.

As far a stretching, I dont do much passive stretching. But lifting weights through a full range of motion should accomplish this, but if you like to strech then go ahead....

Any chances for a 40 year old with a sedetary lifestyle and no energy to start lifting seriously?
Asking for a friend.
of course. but you gotta start somewhere. really just depends on how serious you want to get about it.

I would start off doing something like a starting strenght program 3x a week and go from there.

Zagor

Kingfisher
I endorse stronglifts, that’s the program I’ve started my strength journey with. But it does leave some smaller muscles underworked and if you’re not adding some direct arm and shoulder work you’re leaving gains at the table.

Wreckingball

Pelican
Catholic
I endorse stronglifts, that’s the program I’ve started my strength journey with. But it does leave some smaller muscles underworked and if you’re not adding some direct arm and shoulder work you’re leaving gains at the table.
I also felt this the first time running the program.
I'm adding biceps and triceps and light shoulder work.

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
I also felt this the first time running the program.
I'm adding biceps and triceps and light shoulder work.
Concur

For accessories, looking at stronglifts from what I remember I add 1 exercise for each of the following:

Triceps - skull crushers,JM press ect, Pressdowns(I like high reps for this) Tate Presses (these are great)
Upper back - Face pulls, Shrugs, reverse flys, side laterals (all high reps sets)
Biceps - high rep curls (I like 100-200 reps with as few sets/pauses as possible), Hammer Curls sets of 12-25, reverse EZbar Curls

I'd lower the accessories or even cut them if the main lifts arent moving though.

It's not about what you do, its about what you can recover from.

Diadem

Woodpecker
Orthodox
It's not about what you do, its about what you can recover from.
Speaking of recovery…I maxed out about a month ago on all the main lifts and I’m still feeling fatigued in my workouts. At 40 years old, is this normal? Makes me not want to max out again for a while.

Numbers were 390 squat, 295 bench, 440 deadlift.

get2choppaaa

Hummingbird
Orthodox
Speaking of recovery…I maxed out about a month ago on all the main lifts and I’m still feeling fatigued in my workouts. At 40 years old, is this normal? Makes me not want to max out again for a while.

Numbers were 390 squat, 295 bench, 440 deadlift.
Assuming you did a couple days deload after the meet, or took a week or two to just work on some lighter weight, volume work.... This means your GPP sucks.

That's assuming that right before the meet you were not expereincing this fatigue, but now all the sudden, after multiple lifts in the 97-100% range, your CNS is dragging behind.

You can also, try 8 weels of sticking in the 60-80% range, and working on volume, trying to increase your training density (more tonage and volume moved in less time) This will help with conditioning.

Sometimes this will happen regardless based off the exercises/work out you're doing. It's kind of hard to tell with out context and a more detialed examination of your prrogram ect.

For instance I did a Total body last night that took about 2 hours after being hammered with work/school ect... It should have taken me 75-90 mins max, instead it took roughly 2 hours because I had to pause in between sets.

This is what I did last night as an example, which shows me my General Physical Preparedness needs work (GPP)

Top set of 5 on Squat %85-90% followed by a drop set of 10 at 75%
then a top set of deadlift 7 ~ 80%
Then 2 sets Reverse hypers and calves Super setted
then 3 sets of Fat bar Bench sets of 12 ~ 75%, the superseted BO Rows sets of 8 at 85% mins rest per set
Then db shoulder presses, 3 sets of 30-50 reps
Then Super sets of Tate Presses and Curls for 3 sets of 25-30 reps.

Got ~6.5 hours of sleep.

I should have been able to go from set to set with no more than 2 mins rest per set. However, several sets needed 3-5 mins rest. So next time I repeat this, I am going to cut down the weight/% and focus on density on everything but the top set of Squat and Deadlift.

Today I feel wrecked. I obviouosly did too much work at too high an intensity and my CNS is hurting for it.

Good_Shepherd

Kingfisher
Orthodox Catechumen
What helped me in my workout, my thinking, was book called Body by Science, the guys on there only train 12min a week, once a week, thats it, for someone like me with not too much free time it helped me a lot, they explained a lot about rest after training, reduces injuries, they explained that a lot of world records in athletes happened after they came back from injury, their bodies had a chance to recover properly and they performed super well. Lately iv been training well, just need to get myself a punching bag again I miss the hard kicking and punching, its so important to also be able to fight too, I still shadow box and kick but you need that bag to go out full force. In the past I used to play soccer 3 times a week, on the off week days I did weights at home and off season I went to a kockboxing gym twice a week and we used to spar at the end of trainings it was really great I need to get back to that level, I was so fit that even when I was in a car accident without wearing a seatbelt in those days (I never wore seatbelts) the doctor who stiched me gave me pain pills to take said I would be in a lot of pain because of whip lash, I didnt take anything and had no pain at all