Powerlifting

Zagor

Woodpecker
Nice. I started with the empty bar and I'm working my way up slowly. Should pass 100 lbs within a couple weeks.
With 225 bench you should have at least 135 press. You probably have that already, you just need to arrive there. I was repping 135 waay before I've hit 225 bench, but on the other hand I always preffered and did OHP more then bench.

With 225 bench you should have at least 135 press. You probably have that already, you just need to arrive there. I was repping 135 waay before I've hit 225 bench, but on the other hand I always preffered and did OHP more then bench.

I might have that, I’ve just never really tested 1RM until this month. Always just focused on slow and steady progress.

Dunno about favorite but it’s definitely up there. I also enjoy leg day more than it seems most people do and I’m also partial to the weighted chin-up, which feels like a full upper body workout sometimes. Sadly I’ve injured my wrists a number of times doing curls so my biceps are lagging at the moment, I have to do hammer curls instead of real ones.

Papist

Robin
Starting Strength is the best program I've come across for the average guy. If you haven't heard of it do a quick search or go to YouTube and look it up. Plus, Rip is based. Can't beat it.
I can't 'like' posts yet, but thank you very much for this.

I'm in my early forties, and was a functional alcoholic for many, many years. With God's help I have maintained sobriety for 18 months, and I'm trying to restore my health.

I have recently purchased a weights bench and squat rack, and I'm basically looking for a sustainable beginner's programme to use. I understand that powerlifting is far more beneficial than isolated exercises, at least at the beginning, e,g, a clean and press works pretty much the whole body.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

get2choppaaa

Pelican

I'm in my early forties, and was a functional alcoholic for many, many years. With God's help I have maintained sobriety for 18 months, and I'm trying to restore my health.

I have recently purchased a weights bench and squat rack, and I'm basically looking for a sustainable beginner's programme to use. I understand that powerlifting is far more beneficial than isolated exercises, at least at the beginning, e,g, a clean and press works pretty much the whole body.

Follow a nlp as described in the book.

Get enough calories and sleep and eat lots of protein.

Accept you will gain about 1 lb fat per 2 lb muscle... That's ok.

Once you've stalled on NLP you can experiment with other variations of the program.... But it's a good starting point and should take you pretty far if followed true to form.

BasedBaker

Sparrow

Good luck brother. Through Christ you can change everything. He's opened your eyes to see where you need to make the improvements. The Starting Strength method is great and it's easy to implement. It takes work, but I believe you will put in the work. Come back to the board here when you need advice, men much more knowledgable than me will certainly have it for you. If you need encouragement post it as well. God Bless.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
Nice. Is the bench your favourite lift?

I have comically long arms and a short torso, which is great for deadlifting, but terrible for the bench.

I watched Eddie Coan (arguably the greatest of all time) talk about this. He hit a 585 in a shirt back before geared powerlifting had shirts they gave you 300lbs or whatever they do now. He was built like a gorilla regarding arm length. Pulled 901 at 220 or 242 can't remember.

Lots of behind the neck presses (to the ear not to the shoulder) and close grip bench for building the triceps worked for him.

Louie Simmons says bench training should be 1/3 flat, 1/3 incline 1/3 overhead for the shoulder girdle/all the muscles of the pressing ranged of motion.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
Dunno about favorite but it’s definitely up there. I also enjoy leg day more than it seems most people do and I’m also partial to the weighted chin-up, which feels like a full upper body workout sometimes. Sadly I’ve injured my wrists a number of times doing curls so my biceps are lagging at the moment, I have to do hammer curls instead of real ones.
If you can build up your rows/weighted supine chins you'll get good development.
Especially since you're still relatively a novice (no offense meant by this)

I would keep the hammer curls also, see if a fixed bar like an ez bar relieved the wrist pain.

Papist

Robin
Follow a nlp as described in the book.

Get enough calories and sleep and eat lots of protein.

Accept you will gain about 1 lb fat per 2 lb muscle... That's ok.

Once you've stalled on NLP you can experiment with other variations of the program.... But it's a good starting point and should take you pretty far if followed true to form.

Good luck brother. Through Christ you can change everything. He's opened your eyes to see where you need to make the improvements. The Starting Strength method is great and it's easy to implement. It takes work, but I believe you will put in the work. Come back to the board here when you need advice, men much more knowledgable than me will certainly have it for you. If you need encouragement post it as well. God Bless.

Thanks, guys. I will definitely look into the NLP.

I quite like the full body exercises listed in this article, btw: https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/muscle-strength-full-body-workout-routine

If you can build up your rows/weighted supine chins you'll get good development.
Especially since you're still relatively a novice (no offense meant by this)

I would keep the hammer curls also, see if a fixed bar like an ez bar relieved the wrist pain.

Unfortunately even EZ bars hurt my wrists beyond a certain weight, which sucks because my actual muscles can handle more. Once the weight is heavy, after the set I have to let go of the bar and untwist my hands very slowly or I get pain all up and down my wrists and forearms.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
Thanks, guys. I will definitely look into the NLP.

I quite like the full body exercises listed in this article, btw: https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/muscle-strength-full-body-workout-routine
My suggestions is to just do the Staring Strength NLP (novice linear progression) as described in the book.

You're going to do full body 3x a week. For exercises you are not able to do or do not know form such as (Power Cleans) you could swap for things like Bent Over Rows, but in general follow the program exactly like described in the book.

I would buy the Blue Book (Starting Strength) for now. Once you have completed the NLP, look into buying the Grey Book (Practical Programing). Both are a very comprehensive manual best combined in tandem.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
Unfortunately even EZ bars hurt my wrists beyond a certain weight, which sucks because my actual muscles can handle more. Once the weight is heavy, after the set I have to let go of the bar and untwist my hands very slowly or I get pain all up and down my wrists and forearms.

So I would find angles that do not hurt and do them as needed but if you are having wrist pain, you may try adding Fat GRIPZ . With fat gripz you can significantly reduce the weight and still get stimulous. Sometimes I will swap them in for my regular barbell work and they provide a lot of relief on my joints.

Also super high rep training (think ez bar empty for 200 reps in a few reps/as fast as possible) is good also. Again, good biceps development will occur as your Rows and Supine Chin weight increases. Rows more than anything build the heck out of your forearms. (They are literally my favorite exercise).

I would also encourage you to get some chins in every day/every work out. When I was trying to get 25 pullups in a row (back when I weighted 175-185 in the Marines) I would hang a bar under a door i walk by on my way to the restroom. I would do a set of 10-15 every time I passed by. So after work in the evenings or in the morning while making breakfast I would usually have gotten through 50 pullups.

I would also suggest using the Fat Gripz on warm up sets for exercises before your work sets. This will get volume in grip training and the harder you can grip the bar the more muscle fibers and motor neurons you recruit (This is called proprioception)

Last edited:

RexImperator

Crow
Gold Member

I have recently purchased a weights bench and squat rack, and I'm basically looking for a sustainable beginner's programme to use.
Starting Strength, Practical Programming, but also highly recommended is Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life after Forty by Baker and Sullivan.

Definitely look into Greyskull Linear Progression (which is really a variation of SS with AMRAP on the last set.)

Bigger, Leaner, Stronger by Mike Matthews. Much of the info is found in his Podcast/Blog.

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
I had the same problem when I started doing curls. Speaking frankly, it's because your wrists and forearms aren't used to the load and torsion. Try doing a low pulley bicep curl. Essentially, use a straight bar with a cable machine at a low height ().
Superset it with a tricep pushdown (4 sets, 10-15 reps for each exercise). Program it in once a week on a 12 week program. I will guarantee you that once you are done and go back to a bicep curl with an EZ bar, you will have no wrist pain.

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
I watched Eddie Coan (arguably the greatest of all time) talk about this. He hit a 585 in a shirt back before geared powerlifting had shirts they gave you 300lbs or whatever they do now. He was built like a gorilla regarding arm length. Pulled 901 at 220 or 242 can't remember.

Lots of behind the neck presses (to the ear not to the shoulder) and close grip bench for building the triceps worked for him.

Louie Simmons says bench training should be 1/3 flat, 1/3 incline 1/3 overhead for the shoulder girdle/all the muscles of the pressing ranged of motion.
Yeah, what helped me with the bench the most was doing it twice a week. I would program a paused bench press (2 sec pause) on the 2nd day and the 1st day would be a competition style. Eventually, I stopped because strongman doesn't require a competition bench. I still do one bench variation a week (either a paused or a close grip).