Powerlifting

Eusebius Erasmus

Kingfisher
What/how were you squatting? That's an uncommon outcome from lifting. At times I'd gotten cramps due to electrolyte deficiencies, but I've never heard of squat induced muscle spasms.
I asked my doctor, and he said that it is quite common to get muscle spasms from powerlifting.

I was probably lifting incorrectly, but I can't tell you exactly how I was doing so. I was just doing standard squats.

bucky

Ostrich
I asked my doctor, and he said that it is quite common to get muscle spasms from powerlifting.

I was probably lifting incorrectly, but I can't tell you exactly how I was doing so. I was just doing standard squats.
I got a muscle spasm in my back from doing pistol squats with just body weight once. It doesn't sound so bad if you've never had it happen to you, but I was in agony when it happened and could barely walk afterward for over a month.

It was a case of being an idiot and trying to finish a set when something felt wrong. Just a few more reps, I told my dumb self...

kel

Ostrich
Has anyone here used a Kabuki Strength Kadillac bar? I’m intrigued by the camber and neutral grip angles.
Not this brand, but my gym has a similar one though no camber. I liked it especially for narrow-grip benching, much more comfortable on the wrists. I think I used it for overhead presses, too, a couple times and liked it though it meant getting clearance around my chin a little harder and I'd imagine the camber would further exacerbate that. For benches it felt like it worked forearms or some kind of stabler more, as I recall.

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
Not this brand, but my gym has a similar one though no camber. I liked it especially for narrow-grip benching, much more comfortable on the wrists. I think I used it for overhead presses, too, a couple times and liked it though it meant getting clearance around my chin a little harder and I'd imagine the camber would further exacerbate that. For benches it felt like it worked forearms or some kind of stabler more, as I recall.
I'm not really sure why you would need it cambered. Squat bars are cambered to make it easier on the shoulders, or if you are a big guy, and there's some functional reason as it forces you to stabilize the bar on the descent (it tends to wobble as you squat). With a bench, you have neither of those issues. Their product page says it increase the ROM, but I'm not sure why you would want that, especially since bench is about reducing the ROM.

I've used the horizontal grip position only for the log. I prefer that for rows, as it places less rotational toque on your elbows, and it target the lats better because it reduces the ROM in your arms.

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
I'm starting the Barbell Medicine/Allen Thrall Strongman programing next week. My surgeon cleared me for all exercises going forward, so I'm psyched about getting back into it. I've just been doing SBS and cardio recently, and it's not the same.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
Has anyone here used a Kabuki Strength Kadillac bar? I’m intrigued by the camber and neutral grip angles.
no but I have one of these and it is awesome. https://www.elitefts.com/cambered-swiss-bar.html
I'm not really sure why you would need it cambered. Squat bars are cambered to make it easier on the shoulders, or if you are a big guy, and there's some functional reason as it forces you to stabilize the bar on the descent (it tends to wobble as you squat). With a bench, you have neither of those issues. Their product page says it increase the ROM, but I'm not sure why you would want that, especially since bench is about reducing the ROM.

I've used the horizontal grip position only for the log. I prefer that for rows, as it places less rotational toque on your elbows, and it target the lats better because it reduces the ROM in your arms.

You increase the Range of Motion. While a 1 RM Bench would want the shortest stroke, the bar like other Cambered Bars will allow for different angles and variations. There's a lot of articles about cambered bar benching back in the old days of powerlifting whenever they didnt have 8billion different machines, as a great builder.

The dudes @ westside barbell include this in their rotation a lot for strength out of the bottom of the press.

Deadlifted 215 for reps today, felt pretty good. Unfortunately I tore something in my left wrist so I can no longer supinate that hand. Chin-ups are out and every curl with that hand has to be a hammer curl now. Hopefully this goes away on its own and won't require surgery or a long break.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
Deadlifted 215 for reps today, felt pretty good. Unfortunately I tore something in my left wrist so I can no longer supinate that hand. Chin-ups are out and every curl with that hand has to be a hammer curl now. Hopefully this goes away on its own and won't require surgery or a long break.
Good Job. I would just use a pronated grip or hook grip if you can bear it... once grip limits you, then I would add straps and keep trucking. I do most of my heavy pulls with straps and pronated to relieve my elbows... I also do all my warm ups pronated with out straps for grip work.

I've done that. Give it some time and rest. Also ULTRA HIGH REP like 200 rep band work moving you though the range of motion helps get blood in there (provided it isn't a ligament tear or an avulsion from the bone at the insertion/origin point.)

I get really wicked golfers elbow sometimes and it will take like a 2 months to heal until i start being fastidious about rehab work.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
Your DL PR gave me a little motivation. Been working through some shoulder issues recently after pressing

My work out tonight: dynamic (speed focused)

Straight Bar Squats to a13 inch Box.
225x 8sets of 3
No more than 1 min 15 sec rest

Conventional Deadlift 405 x 2 sets of 5, 435 x 5, sumo : 315 plus chain x 5, 315 with chain for 12 reps (challenge set)

Accessories
Bo rows 275 x 2 sets of 15
Face pulls on my cable 3 sets 15
Hammer curls 3 drop sets of 45 down to 20 x 15 reps each weight

Tomorrow will hit some reverse hypers, sled work for recovery/cardio, hanging abs, neck work and of course walk my 7 months old 85lb American Bulldog puppy.

Friday will be a speed upper day, so I am going to do incline/overhead press, then 100 lb dumbell 3 sets to failure (current best on flat is 22, 18, 16) then Triceps and some upper back to finish off.

RexImperator

Crow
Gold Member
Deadlifted 225 for reps today, 3 sets of 8. I’m tempted to try a 275 1RM but given my past lower back issues I’m going to take things slowly.
Honestly I would not bother with lifting/testing 1RM unless you are training for competition or have a very specific goal (i.e. “I want to bench 300”). If you keep adding 10 lbs a week you could lift 275 for reps in 5 weeks.

Okay, cool. Just wanted to know, because I wanted to echo the sentiment that it is not worth going too hard on the deadlift, especially with 1 rm. If you wanna go competitive, go for it, but in the long run and out of a longevity aspect it is not really worth lifting that much weight in a dl and squat.

redonion

Woodpecker
I would recommend testing your 1RM, with some caveats. It's fun to know how much you can lift, and allows you to plug in your numbers into many lifting programs that are usually based off your 1RM.

Instead of working up to your true 1RM, just slowly work up doing singles until you reach a weight that you could hit for a double but not a triple. This would be known as RPE9 (Rate of Perceived Exertion). Basically, RPE10 = 1RM, RPE9 = 1 rep left in the tank, RPE8 = 2 reps left in the tank, etc. There's really no reason to hit RPE10 outside of competition, but you can get your RPE9 and plug it into a calculator to get a pretty good estimation of your true 1RM.

I don't agree that going heavy on DL is not worth it for longevity. I think you're more likely to get injured when lifting for reps since it's easier to get fatigued and lose focus mid-set.

get2choppaaa

Pelican
I would recommend testing your 1RM, with some caveats. It's fun to know how much you can lift, and allows you to plug in your numbers into many lifting programs that are usually based off your 1RM.

Instead of working up to your true 1RM, just slowly work up doing singles until you reach a weight that you could hit for a double but not a triple. This would be known as RPE9 (Rate of Perceived Exertion). Basically, RPE10 = 1RM, RPE9 = 1 rep left in the tank, RPE8 = 2 reps left in the tank, etc. There's really no reason to hit RPE10 outside of competition, but you can get your RPE9 and plug it into a calculator to get a pretty good estimation of your true 1RM.

I don't agree that going heavy on DL is not worth it for longevity. I think you're more likely to get injured when lifting for reps since it's easier to get fatigued and lose focus mid-set.
I think this is good advice, but depends on the routine and concepts.

For instance Congugate MEthod has you MAX on a VARIATION* of a Powerlifting movement each week: Some random examples:
Pin Pulls/Banded bench/Deficet Deadlifts/Safety Squat/Incline Bench/Close Grip bench with Chains/Floor Press
The other day you do speed work and on both days you do hypertophy work post ME/Dynamic movement

you rotate through every 5-10 weeks you try and beat the record by 5 lbs.

You should do a *COMPETITON* Squat/Bench/Deadlift rarely. Ideally in a meet or when not competing I do them all every 3-5 months.

But if for instance you are doing a linear periodization program there is a block for 5s then 3s then 2's all peaking for a max.

The RPE thing doesnt really work if somoene hasnt spent a lot of time with training on maximal intensity (as % of a 1 RM)

You can watch this for reference. Body bulding focused... but still 100% appropriate. Jordan Peters is disgustingly strong.

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
Started the Barbell Medicine / Alan Thrall program, and it's going really well. I like that he integrates dynamic/conditioning work and some explosive, technical Olympic style lifts.

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
I don't train 1RMs anymore. 1RMs are so hard on your body. Most powerlifters I know will test them on a 6 month basis. Many strongman never do 1RM until competition. There's also calculators out there which will calculate your 1RM based on any combination of reps/RPE.