Preparedness During Civil Strife

My LCP is not easy for me to shoot, either. The trigger breaks very late in the pull. My son in law tried shooting it, and he also had to squeeze the trigger beyond what usually will make other guns fire.
I had trouble hitting what I was aiming at with it, then again I was fresh out of the Army at the time and was adept with a rifle, but had limited experience with pistols aside from a hand-me-down .357 revolver and the obligatory 20 or so rounds (maybe more, I can't remember) annual M9 Beretta qualification. My big gorilla mitts didn't do me any favors either. At this point, seven years later, I'm probably nastier with a pistol than I've ever been with a rifle due to tons of range time and some professional pistol training courses that were hands down better than any military training I've had. That being said, my rifle handling skills haven't faltered, just haven't advanced to the level my pistol skills have.

Do you have the first gen LCP or the LCP II?

Walking around with air gun is one of the worst ideas I’ve heard of in a long time. Massad Ayoob explains why in his book “In the gravest extreme”.
Very true. The "wave your realistic looking BB gun at them, they won't know the difference" tactic is highly inadvisable. Not only is it punishable by law the same as if you brandished a real firearm, but it may escalate a conflict further and you'll have hot lead coming your way from a real actual gun and no way to return effective fire.

I don't know a good option for our brothers in non-gun-friendly countries. Perhaps a baseball or cricket bat for home defense and a folding pocket knife for daily carry? Every man should carry a pocket knife anyway for utility purposes primarily, and defense as a last resort. You'll still lose a gun fight 99 times out of 100, but at least they're effective as weapons. They'd still be legally effed, too, if they had to deploy them as weapons. I guess use your Schengen visa to move to Czechia or something if you live in the EU? You can own guns and concealed carry there.

Last edited:
My comment before about what to carry with boardshorts went unanswered, but I actually have a NAA Black Widow 22WMR 5 shot. By this point I feel like John Wick with all the gun choices..."Something for the beach sir? Should you chance upon some joggers?" Its lack of trigger guard helps its stealth and the cylinder has recesses between the bullets for a nice safety rest. I feel totally secure carrying it. Totally safe? Well like BMW said:

In all seriousness one thing that hasn't been discussed concerning civil strife is PPE. I posted about my Miller LPR-100 respirator in the Coronavirus thread and remembered that I actually would really like to test it with tear gas or other irritant. It's got P100 filters with charcoal and is designed for welding.

The reason I'm recommending it is for 3 reasons:
  1. It's cheap. $35 dollars, carrying case is about $20. (replacement P100 filters are $15 a pair however)
  2. Small - it fits under a weld hood. That would make it very low profile in a crowd. In the case (holding a spare set of filters as well) the whole package is about 6"x 5"x 4". The case zips closed and has a belt loop on it. They are very pack-able on a backpack or in a glovebox.
  3. Good quality - Its got replaceable filters, good quality rubber on the seal, and wide straps with rubber traction pads.
I have the good luck to have a half black half red bandanna. These items are in my backpack these days (I usually would take public transpo into a city) and should I happen across any dicey situation I can don the mask wrap the bandanna around it, and essentially go "grey" in the crowd. It's dicey because I still have a pistol (and am unsure how the respirator influences the projection/intent you give).

The thread really is about beefing up your everyday situational awareness and anticipation of potentially life threatening situations. The police won't do you any favors if you are caught in a protest they are pushing your way. The best way to avoid conflict may be to don the respirator and some cheap swim goggles, blend in with the crowd, and get the hell out.
Do you wear board shorts daily? And do you wear them because you're frequently in the water or is it purely a fashion choice?

Guns and salt water don't play nice together. Guns have a lot of small, intricate steel parts and corrosion can be a serious problem. You'd have to meticulously deep clean your gun every day if you took it in salt water daily. Stainless steel construction is an option to prevent corrosion, but you'd still have to clean out the salt accumulation so it doesn't gum it up, and I bet even stainless guns have some regular carbon steel parts in them or other metals susceptible to corrosion.

If board shorts are purely a fashion choice I'd recommend just dressing differently in a manner that allows proper concealed carry, if you want to carry a firearm, that is.

Good call on the respirator. I don't know how well it will hold up to tear gas, though, but it'll surely offer better protection than just a bare face. I know when I've worn one while welding and grinding I can still smell the burning metal, but it is a far less potent scent than going bare. I believe welding respirators are primarily designed to filter out metallic dust particulates which can be harmful with chronic exposure. Many models have a variety of filter cartridges available, maybe ones designed for pesticide application would be better suited to protect against gasses.

Edit: I did some research. The NIOSH 2097 P100 filter cartridges on my welding respirator can protect against particles down to 0.3 micron median diameter, tear gas particles are much larger, so a P100 filter will be effective at protecting against tear gas. I don't have my pesticide filters handy to read their rating on the label, but I imagine they are as effective if not more so.

Last edited:
Do you wear board shorts daily? And do you wear them because you're frequently in the water or is it purely a fashion choice?

Good call on the respirator. I don't know how well it will hold up to tear gas, though, but it'll surely offer better protection than just a bare face. I know when I've worn one while welding and grinding I can still smell the burning metal, but it is a far less potent scent than going bare. I believe welding respirators are primarily designed to filter out metallic dust particulates which can be harmful with chronic exposure. Many models have a variety of filter cartridges available, maybe ones designed for pesticide application would be better suited to protect against gasses.
It was my main fashion choice in my 20s. I wasn't by the beach but did longboard frequently. That said, nowadays I don't wear boardshorts but athletic shorts yes. So my baseline condition needs to account for elastic waistband shorts (or sweatpants for that matter). That's why I use a .38 snub and envy the LCR haha. If anyone on here is getting their first gun in the spirit of preparedness you may want to think of that...What if you had to bug out in sweatpants or just weren't as dapper as the McClusky's? If I had to have one gun it should be comfortable to carry the trash out in my sweats.

I will take your second comment as a challenge. I have some time off coming up....I think I have some old class E model rocket motors in my shop. My idea was to get some ghost pepper or whatever I could find and mix that at the base. I agree that I do still detect smells despite the charcoal. It would be good to know definitively what works should we find ourselves protesting a corona lockdown, checkpoint, or something. Now I get to do a datasheet!

It was my main fashion choice in my 20s. I wasn't by the beach but did longboard frequently. That said, nowadays I don't wear boardshorts but athletic shorts yes. So my baseline condition needs to account for elastic waistband shorts (or sweatpants for that matter). That's why I use a .38 snub and envy the LCR haha. If anyone on here is getting their first gun in the spirit of preparedness you may want to think of that...What if you had to bug out in sweatpants or just weren't as dapper as the McClusky's? If I had to have one gun it should be comfortable to carry the trash out in my sweats.

I will take your second comment as a challenge. I have some time off coming up....I think I have some old class E model rocket motors in my shop. My idea was to get some ghost pepper or whatever I could find and mix that at the base. I agree that I do still detect smells despite the charcoal. It would be good to know definitively what works should we find ourselves protesting a corona lockdown, checkpoint, or something. Now I get to do a datasheet!
Ah, when I hear "boardshorts" my mind automatically defaults to surfing. You could try mountain biking shorts. They're available with or without a removable or non-removable butt protector pad, depending on the model. They're made from a material similar to swim trunks and are breathable and quick drying. The benefit of them for carry is they can be worn with or without a belt. They have belt loops, but also cinch straps on the belt line so they can be worn belt free, but still not expose your ass. A belt, preferably a proper gun belt, is necessary to mount most typical in-waistband concealed or out-of-waistband open carry holsters. Gun belts come in tacti-cool style or traditional leather that are indistinguishable from regular belts aside from their enhanced thickness and rigidity. I prefer leather as they don't stand out. I wear my bike shorts while hiking and for mountain biking and carry concealed or open on hikes depending on the region and open carry on my bike because concealed is very uncomfortable on a bike. Mountain bike shorts are NOT those faggy tight spandex ones you see the roadies wear, they fit loosely like cargo shorts and don't look out of place in areas and venues where shorts are acceptable attire. Worth considering.

As for carry in sweatpants or other belt less shorts and pants, you'll have to get creative as I don't know of any reliable and secure holsters that can be worn without a belt. Holsters are important not only for proper retention of the firearm, but they also cover up the trigger and prevent you from negligently discharging a supersonic lead projectile into your ballbag if somehow the trigger is actuated by a shirt hem or something getting caught in it, or if you over-vigorously scratch your nuts and accidentally finger the gun. Ghetto-style "stuffing your gat in your pants" carry is ill-advised.

Another option is a fanny pack. My elderly father carries a compact-size Glock in one that has a built in kydex holster that is molded to specifically retain his model of pistol. It has a tucked in tab that when pulled allows you to "rip" open the zippers quickly and draw your pistol in one smooth motion. Worth a look. You're not limited by wardrobe choice and could theoretically carry a concealed weapon while fully nude.

Last but not least, your "challenge." Why not go big and buy a can of mace, put your respirator and eye protection on, and spray yourself with it? If the setup doesn't work then you'll know real quick! Hahaha. I recommend doing it outside, maybe use a spotter, and have a rudimentary eyewash station set up just in case. Honestly, I've been tear gassed and pepper sprayed many times as part of military training and it's super duper unpleasant, but not that bad and I'd be willing to try this experiment with my full face respirator with both welding particulate filters and pesticide chemical cannister filters and report back.

Easy_C

Crow
Some of those things you all are discussing are urban unrest problems. It’s different enough that it should be a separate thread.

Teargas isn’t going to be particularly effective during rural conflicts

Reactions: kel
If you want holsters that can be concealed and worn with any clothing including athletic shorts, look into the https://www.smartcarry.com/ or https://3speedholster.com/ both have attached waist bands. I personally have worn the smartcarry for well over a decade and it’s perfect for snub nose revolvers or small frame semi-autos. They do wear out in about 3 years of daily wear. I have not used the 3speed. It’s highly spoken of but worn at 3-4 o’clock unlike the smart carry which is a deep conceal in the front.

Dallas Winston

Ostrich
Gold Member
Changing gears a little from gun talk, which I enjoy:

I'd like thoughts on choosing the 'optimal' setup situation in which to live this decade. Realizing there's no guarantees if Homeland security and drones decide to sweep the countryside.

We all agree to get out of big cities and blue areas. With that given, would living in a nice quiet suburban neighborhood in a red state away from any cities be best? Or , would living out more rural, in the country, perhaps surrounded by numerous neighbors or even building your own little 4-6 house community with friends on a large piece of rural lane be preferred? I can see pros and cons to both:

Pros on living in a red state, red county suburban neighborhood: You'd be "anonymous" surrounded by , probably a few hundred or so other houses. If it gets to the point where antifa or marxists start trying to raid homes, you'd "blend in" more since you'd be one amongst many other houses in a neighborhood. By probability, if you lived far enough back, they may hit other homes first, in which case you and your close neighbors would get warning, or LE would be called and you could prepare. Bottom - line : Your chances of being attacked by marxist shock troops may be lower than if you're a sitting duck out in the country.
Cons to living in a burb neighborhood: Let's say you prepare, stock up on food, buy generators and even grow a big garden in case S really hits TF. One the grid goes down, most of your neighbors likely would not have prepared. Once they realize you've got a bountiful garden, running power via your generator and are a"hoarder", they're going to come a knockin' and demand some of your stuff. You're surrounded by neighbors would could become, if stuff really gets bad, your enemy.

Pros on living rural in a community of like minded people: If you and 4 or five friends, who have families, decide to buy 100 acres or whatever way out in the county and build homes, all grow gardens, all stock up on plenty of extra food, not to mention arms, etc. that would likely prevent the above described scenario where, once the population starts starving and going thirsty, your neighbors wouldn't bug you because, you and your neighbors have all agreed to prepare for such a situation. Everyone in your community is prepared for whatever the worst may be. Also, you could watch each others backs, and serve as defense back-up for everyone in your community should a pickup truck full of leftist malcontents decide to roll down your gravel road one sunny afternoon, a few months into the societal collapse.

Cons of living rural , even with a community: By being, way out there, even with 4 , 5 or a few more other households. You're less "anonymous" than living in a 100-200 house suburban area. If the psychos get wind that you have food, supplies, gardens, et al. they could target your lone homestead group easier than if you're more anonymous. They attack in the middle of the night, say 10-20 or more per house to try to insure victory. you're being out in the country doesn't guarantee word won't eventually get out, that you and your neighbors are doing good and have lots of goodies. Being out rural, in a sense, makes you an easier target and more of a lone duck, even with a small group

The ModernSurvivalist (YT channel) went through the Argentine collapse years ago and wrote a book how to survive societal collapse. He dispels the myth of living rural and fending off the zombie hoards (though I think he was writing about being the only home out there vs living in a small community) He said, those that lived rural in Argentina during those years, were easy targets and the criminals eventually found out about them and made short work of them. So, he espouses living in a more populated area, securing your home and , just trying to be a 'gray man' The situation which may hit the US will, of course, be a little (or a lot ) different than what Argentina went through, but maybe the principle will hold true. I dunno.

Easy_C

Crow
Pros on living in a red state, red county suburban neighborhood: You'd be "anonymous" surrounded by , probably a few hundred or so other houses. If it gets to the point where antifa or marxists start trying to raid homes, you'd "blend in" more since you'd be one amongst many other houses in a neighborhood. By probability, if you lived far enough back, they may hit other homes first, in which case you and your close neighbors would get warning, or LE would be called and you could prepare. Bottom - line : Your chances of being attacked by marxist shock troops may be lower than if you're a sitting duck out in the country.
Cons to living in a burb neighborhood: Let's say you prepare, stock up on food, buy generators and even grow a big garden in case S really hits TF. One the grid goes down, most of your neighbors likely would not have prepared. Once they realize you've got a bountiful garden, running power via your generator and are a"hoarder", they're going to come a knockin' and demand some of your stuff. You're surrounded by neighbors would could become, if stuff really gets bad, your enemy.

If you have the ability I don't recommend completely middle of nowhere. Right next to a small-ish sized rural community and near food production like Dodge City or Lamar isn't a terrible proposition. A lot of small blue ridge towns have potential too because they're very remote, support a lot of food, have water, and the temperate mountain terrain is conducive to SERE.

I'm almost of a mind to let Antifa/BLM/the VirusMilitary kill me because I have no kids, no romantic prospects and the likelihood of entering a religious community seems too remote.

Dr. Howard

Peacock
Gold Member
If you have the ability I don't recommend completely middle of nowhere. Right next to a small-ish sized rural community and near food production like Dodge City or Lamar isn't a terrible proposition. A lot of small blue ridge towns have potential too because they're very remote, support a lot of food, have water, and the temperate mountain terrain is conducive to SERE.
In principal yes, its about as easy as you can get to live off the land if you had to in appalachia on the smoky mountains or blue ridge mountains side. Winters are mild, mountain streams are clear and clean, farming is kind of hard but lots of small game.

However, that is in principal. I lived in rural east TN (appalachia) for about 6 years and even though I was a conservative Christian I was still a "yankee". Locals are like "My family has farmed this land since the declaration of independence", roots matter a lot. During some kind of chaos or apocalypse if you are an outsider you would be very likely to be raided in appalachia because you 'aren't from there'. The lay of the land makes it such that a few pickup trucks of rednecks that know the land could pick off outsiders one holler at a time. Its not like the midwest where you could see your neighbors farm burning from 3 miles away. The ridges shield fire, smoke and sound from the next holler.

Lace em up

Woodpecker
Nobody? The preppers had it pre 2020, those who saw the ammo shelves go dry when toilet paper also was out of stock, bought a whole bunch when it came back in stock. Sounds like "nobody" is just late to the party.
Id argue that you dont need as much ammo as you might think. To defend against or scare off would be attackers, it'd likely only take less than 30 shots. We aint talking a sustained assault by a military unit here.

Foolsgo1d

Peacock
Id argue that you dont need as much ammo as you might think. To defend against or scare off would be attackers, it'd likely only take less than 30 shots. We aint talking a sustained assault by a military unit here.
If it comes to the point in the US where armed individuals or groups are roaming freely to loot and murder then you're going to have bigger problems than how much ammo you have.

Think of how many criminals are out there right now. They are a minority but if the law were to recede or outright vanish then most people will resort to some form of criminality because they wont be afraid of cops and prison. You never know how much ammo you'd need really but the more the merrier.

Nobody? The preppers had it pre 2020, those who saw the ammo shelves go dry when toilet paper also was out of stock, bought a whole bunch when it came back in stock. Sounds like "nobody" is just late to the party.
Nobody is a lot of people right now.. doesnt really matter to me. Just a thought

I second that sentiment. I understand some people have the means to somehow accumulate 2-5000 rounds of ammunition for each gun they own. Maybe some even have a network of people that would make use of such a large stockpile. I just look at it as a poor investment.

In my case, I'm in my third year on a box of 20 7mm-08 soft points for my hunting rifle. I go through maybe 200 rounds 5.56 a year. Similar for .38 SPL. Trap shooting is my biggest ammo load and that's around 600 shells/yr. All that recreation (and demand) goes out the window in troubled times.

Should I get into a gunfight? To be honest I pray I don't, if I did - I pray it would be short, and beyond that, its bug out time. My bug out bag keeps around 200 rounds. I'd probably be dead well before 200 rounds were fired in anger in an actual gunfight. I think its one of those silly American ideas we have. I remember watching a video on maras (gangsters) in Latin America and they were checking in with their "boss" to see what guys in town actually had ammo for the hodgepodge of weapons they had. Those guy lived a level of violence that I would find horrific and often had less than 50 rounds available to them. I'd invest in medicine, maps, and water filters well before more ammo.