Preparedness During Civil Strife

perros

Woodpecker
Move to another country? If you guys really hate it here, you can always sell your assets and move to the bahamas, costa rica, Belize, or somewhere in Asia. You guys don't have to live in the U.S. you know? There are many cool countries out there you can relocate too.

Papaya

Crow
Gold Member
I'm seeking out more experience living 100% off-the-grid for short periods in very rough areas. Is hunting a difficult skill to pick up, in your opinion?
Proper motivation makes everything easy but theres more to know than one who's never done thinks. Big game is HARD to hunt even if you know how (In North America anyway)

Hunting any game effectively takes some basic understanding of your prey's behavior patterns: Feeding, mating, etc. Are they territorial? Migratory? What do they eat at what time of year? Time of day? Male vs female?

What's their primary defense: sight/motion, sound, scent? For deer its all of the above. They have poor distance eye sight and cant see colors very well but pick motion very very well.

A deer's scent is as good as a dogs so you cant hunt them upwind. They can smell your deodorant from 2 miles away in the right conditions.

White tail deer mating and seasonal behaviors are different than mule deer for example.

Know whats in your intended locale

What else is endemic and / or indigenous? Rabbits? Squirrels? Dove? Other birds (almost all birds are edible BTW)

If you have no hunting experience the YT is your friend right now.

Think about getting a license and join a hunting club

Pro tip: Head and heart shots kill everything. Get good at shooting while you learn how to hunt. Practice

Edit: In the past Ive hunted White tail. mule deer, Sika / Axis deer, wild hogs, rabbit, wild turkey, dove. quail, duck. Been years though

Last edited:

Easy_C

Crow
Move to another country? If you guys really hate it here, you can always sell your assets and move to the bahamas, costa rica, Belize, or somewhere in Asia. You guys don't have to live in the U.S. you know? There are many cool countries out there you can relocate too.
A: In any kind of geopolitical breakdown, white Americans tend to not last long.

B: No, you can't actually. Most countries are no longer allowing Americans to travel and blaming it on COVID.

Renzy

Kingfisher
I'm seeking out more experience living 100% off-the-grid for short periods in very rough areas. Is hunting a difficult skill to pick up, in your opinion?
If you're interested in hunting I'd get a license for bow season, not rifle season, for these reasons-

1. Bow season is generally much longer than firearms seasons

I don't know what state you're in, but here in MD bow season basically runs from Sept-Jan so you have a lot more weekends to get out there and get experience and get on some deer.

2. Bow season starts earlier

As hunting season progresses you will generally see less and less deer (my experience on public land) as the deer get more and more pressured the longer the season goes. By the time firearm season rolls around here (end of Nov), there is a big drop-off in the amount of deer I see relative to late September. And after opening day of firearms season a lot of them go nocturnal.

3. Bow season has way fewer hunters

Again, I'm assuming you're going to be on public, but the difference in the number of hunters between bow season and firearm (including muzzleloader) is staggering. Opening day of firearms season is generally a sea of orange and I'm betting this year is going to be even more crowded than usual. Spring turkey season here was packed this year with all the people out of work (or working from home).

Easiest way to get started is to get a crossbow and find your nearest public land. Get yourself a license, a subscription to onx and get out there this fall and start looking for scrapes /rubs / trails and places to setup.

EDIT: Just as a follow up, you might also check out if your state has a mentored hunt program. I know a number of states have started up programs where they'll pair you up with an experienced hunter to try to bring new people into the sport. A lot of the money states get for conservation comes from hunting & fishing fees and the number of hunters overall has been in decline. So they been starting up these programs to try and drum up interest - if you can find something like that it's a good way to pair up with someone with more experience who can walk you through things.

Last edited:

ArizonaGuy

Pigeon
Is hunting a difficult skill to pick up, in your opinion?
I spent years staffing up a retreat in the Rockies of northern CO. Game was plentiful. One thing I realized is that off-grid requires food preservation skills and up there, I only had pine and aspen so smoking wasn't viable. That left brining. Buy a copy of "The hunter returns after the kill" from the University of Alaska for authoritative information (eBay).

Easy_C

Crow
Random thought but worth re-iterating: Invite your neighbors over to share a few beers on the patio. That's going to do a lot more than spending hours agonizing over exactly which weapon might be 5% better than other handguns. It can also be a good idea to do a police ride along, attend city meetings, etc. to make sure that local officials know you. That can go a long way towards them deciding you're OK to be let off with a warning.

Deepdiver

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Best CCW preparedness and after action defense organization in the USA full scope legal and financial defense and authoritative pre carry training in all 50 states. Extensive pro 2A CCW network of lawyers who really know the laws in your city and state.

You get what you pay for... 3 levels of coverage basic, intermediate and extensive.

In this case an ounce of prevention equals a ton of cure. If you do nothing today click their link view their videos and educate yourself if you carry a knife, pepper spray, crossbow, sidearm or AR-15 or Long range hunting rifle.

If you ever have to defend yourself with lethal force remember two statements:

1. I was in fear for my life.
2. I want my lawyer now!

Then take out your USCCA card and call them to mount you total defense.

As much as you want to say: this mutha phokka attacked me so I capped his ghetto BLM Antifa azz and put one in his skull for good measure. Don't be an ego psycho maniac or the system will throw you in prison and throw away the key.

Memorize 1. & 2. Above and be Kool under fire and before and after.

Easy_C

Crow
I need to find the video, but awhile back there was some self defense expert debunking the idea that you should immediately shut up. That only means that the aggressor and/or his crew will be able to give a one sided story. You should give a very basic description of events along the lines of "This person attacked me, I tried to escape, he drew a weapon.....and These people here, here, and here, are witnesses."

Johnny Rico

Woodpecker
Random thought but worth re-iterating: Invite your neighbors over to share a few beers on the patio. That's going to do a lot more than spending hours agonizing over exactly which weapon might be 5% better than other handguns. It can also be a good idea to do a police ride along, attend city meetings, etc. to make sure that local officials know you. That can go a long way towards them deciding you're OK to be let off with a warning.
Excellent advice. Cops are humans and humans are tribal. If you get pulled over, get in to a fight, etc. if the cop knows you, or his buddy knows you, you will already have social status with him. Going on a ride along will also give you perspective on what areas to avoid in your community. Cops also, especially now, will take it as a gesture of support for them and it will improve their morale which they will be grateful to you for.

If you get a friendly cop you can easily make a friend who may invite you to hit the range with him. Now you have a direct phone number if you ever need help as well.

I never thought of doing this... I am going to call the local PD and see if its a possibility and will report back.

Johnny Rico

Woodpecker
Best CCW preparedness and after action defense organization in the USA full scope legal and financial defense and authoritative pre carry training in all 50 states. Extensive pro 2A CCW network of lawyers who really know the laws in your city and state.

You get what you pay for... 3 levels of coverage basic, intermediate and extensive.

In this case an ounce of prevention equals a ton of cure. If you do nothing today click their link view their videos and educate yourself if you carry a knife, pepper spray, crossbow, sidearm or AR-15 or Long range hunting rifle.

If you ever have to defend yourself with lethal force remember two statements:

1. I was in fear for my life.
2. I want my lawyer now!

Then take out your USCCA card and call them to mount you total defense.

As much as you want to say: this mutha phokka attacked me so I capped his ghetto BLM Antifa azz and put one in his skull for good measure. Don't be an ego psycho maniac or the system will throw you in prison and throw away the key.

Memorize 1. & 2. Above and be Kool under fire and before and after.
I am mixed on conceal carry.

Unless you have extensive law enforcement training I feel its dangerous. You can train at the range and be the ultimate marksman but it's all about judgement under pressure. If you shoot someone you are going to have massive legal issues... especially if they are not white. The cops will come in guns blazing and perceive you as a threat. You will go to jail that night assuming they don't shoot you. You will be plastered all over the news and googleable (word?) for life. Being on the Internet for something like that will change your life forever.

The upside is being prepared for a mass shooting incident. They may be planning them soon as COVID Season narrative is losing steam and Riot Season narrative has become a boost for Trump.

The best self defence is to simply avoid threats and crowds. Learn how to deflect attacks and be physically fit and escape. Firearms are best saved for home defence IMO.

Last edited:

mbare

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Wanted to get the pulse of what some thought about joining this group, American Contingency, a like-minded group of Patriots in the event of a worse case scenario. Or at least that's what they're saying they're about. That plus information sharing and training.

I've only just heard of Mike Glover maybe a month and a half ago. I've been thinking on it, praying about it...mentioned it to a few people but still haven't fully decided.

On one hand, I think the only way to survive what's coming is to be in a group, but on the other hand I don't know if I trust what Mike has put together. It may just be too easy to infiltrate, but then again we may have no choice.

I have some concerns that he's using gmail but is currently working on a secure app to communicate.

What are your thoughts? A psyop? A set-up to get patriotic minded people in one spot? Mike seems sincere -- was a 20 year veteran and green beret. He did work with the CIA for a few years too, but was just a low totem pole kinda guy from what he's said. I have my concerns because the evidence is pointing to the CIA and FBI at the highest levels being subverted.

He also has various videos on youtube: Mike Glover and his Field Craft Survival channel. Like I said, I dig what he's putting out there and have learned some good tips from his channels, but I just don't know about joining a group.

Deepdiver

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Wanted to get the pulse of what some thought about joining this group, American Contingency, a like-minded group of Patriots in the event of a worse case scenario. Or at least that's what they're saying they're about. That plus information sharing and training.

I've only just heard of Mike Glover maybe a month and a half ago. I've been thinking on it, praying about it...mentioned it to a few people but still haven't fully decided.

On one hand, I think the only way to survive what's coming is to be in a group, but on the other hand I don't know if I trust what Mike has put together. It may just be too easy to infiltrate, but then again we may have no choice.

I have some concerns that he's using gmail but is currently working on a secure app to communicate.

What are your thoughts? A psyop? A set-up to get patriotic minded people in one spot? Mike seems sincere -- was a 20 year veteran and green beret. He did work with the CIA for a few years too, but was just a low totem pole kinda guy from what he's said. I have my concerns because the evidence is pointing to the CIA and FBI at the highest levels being subverted.

He also has various videos on youtube: Mike Glover and his Field Craft Survival channel. Like I said, I dig what he's putting out there and have learned some good tips from his channels, but I just don't know about joining a group.
I'm in just joined their mailing list... In any SHTF scenario good to be part of a network of Patriots. Learn to sort the Patriots from the pozzed.

At some point you gotta put up or shut up. Sounds like an option for guys isolated in their areas. Their "about" section mentions they aren't a militia and are profiling what they identify as communist front orgs at the moment.

Handsome Creepy Eel

Owl
Gold Member
Can someone clarify what a police ride-along is and how one gets to do that? Why would police accept being bothered by random civilians as they go around their duties?

Deepdiver

Hummingbird
Gold Member
One of the dumbest things hunters do is look through their rifle scope at other hunters in International Orange gear to see if they know you... If you look back at them with your scope tends to cure them of this habit... Something to be said for scent masking woods cammo... Just do not move around in your elevated stand on opening day lest they mistake you for big game... Phocking Aay... This is why I like crossbow hunting opens before the rifle hunting opening day... Less dodgy Dopes out...