Protestant/Catholic marriage

muhtea

Robin
Woman
My mom doesn’t understand that someone who is Catholic, technically, isn’t allowed to attend church anywhere else but a Catholic Church
I'm not sure if simple attendance is the problem so much as actively participating. For example, it is my understanding that you may attend weddings and funerals but not be an active participant in them. There is a balance between charity and duty to God here.

I saw somewhere a large majority of the annulments granted by the Catholic Church are mixed marriages. There's a reason you need a special dispensation for this.

PVW

Pigeon
Woman
I remember seeing stories about older couples who were in mixed marriages where the Catholic spouse, with the support of the parish priest, pushed the Protestant spouse to marry in a Catholic church and pledge to raise the children Catholic.

It wasn't just RC men insisting their Protestant wives do this, but RC women doing the same. I once saw a sermon written by a Protestant minister about this. A lof of anti-Catholic sentiment that the Catholics were pushy in trying to deny Protestants religious freedom. They saw it as a real conspiracy.

Last edited:

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
I'm not sure if simple attendance is the problem so much as actively participating. For example, it is my understanding that you may attend weddings and funerals but not be an active participant in them. There is a balance between charity and duty to God here.
If that’s the case, then my SIL is being really nasty and I like her even less lol

Atlas Shrugged

Pigeon
Woman
I don’t know what kind of Protestant churches y’all go to but at mine divorce is not allowed or okayed all willy nilly. My church is serious about working out the issues and not getting a divorce. My church has had to bring several people in front of the congregation for certain issues and that was painful. We follow the if the person doesn’t fix their issue or at least make an effort and blatantly refuses to repent when the church elders and pastor go to them in private then it’s brought up to the church family. So not all protestant churches are gay churches.

J.E.

Robin
No, no discussion. I see on your profile you are Catholic, so I figure your husband is Protestant. You are in a catch 22 situation here: either obey your husband as God's law commands you to or try to convert him to the true Faith. To avoid strife within the family I'd go if I were in your stead, but I'd also nudge him increasingly more and more towards Catholicism. Convert him through your feminine strengths, not by dominating him but by meekness. Your children for sure should be raised Catholic, but not in a way that disrespects your husband; if it is impossible to do so, then raise them a little Catholic within a Protestant framework. In future they'd be more open for Catholicism that way. I'm not a priest, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

For any unmarried couple it is black and white; it is either or but no in between.

absolutely haram.jpg

Mrs.DanielH

Robin
Woman
I know this is reverse but I am Protestant, I go to a Baptist church but I thought hard about what churches I would go if I had no other option. I really think I would go to any, certainly Catholic and Orthodox and even Mormon. I am fairly discerning. I even think there is value in mixing up our churchgoing experience, i.e., I've been wanting to go to a hardcore charismatic Pentecostal service even though I am certain to not agree as much. Ultimately, a Christian is a Christian first and a denomination second.
I could not disagree more. I've been to baptist churches, non-denominational, Catholic, and of course Orthodox. However, the Orthodox Church is the ONE and ONLY true church. Idk how mormons are even considered christian since they have modern "prophets". At the end of the day denomination matters because theology matters. I have a lot of respect for some protestants and catholics who know the bible better than me or who act more christian, however, the sacraments of other denominations are invalid in the Orthodox perspective. Which relates to @Starlight 's response about her brother and SIL. A Catholic can absolutely attend church at another denomination, they just don't commune with them. A Catholic priest once told me that in the case of traveling he would advise his parishioners to attend a Catholic church if available, if not the second choice would be an Orthodox church, third episcopalian, then Lutheran. Obviously each priest might have their own preferences or thoughts on this, but I thought it was interesting.

Starlight

Woodpecker
Woman
I could not disagree more. I've been to baptist churches, non-denominational, Catholic, and of course Orthodox. However, the Orthodox Church is the ONE and ONLY true church. Idk how mormons are even considered christian since they have modern "prophets". At the end of the day denomination matters because theology matters. I have a lot of respect for some protestants and catholics who know the bible better than me or who act more christian, however, the sacraments of other denominations are invalid in the Orthodox perspective. Which relates to @Starlight 's response about her brother and SIL. A Catholic can absolutely attend church at another denomination, they just don't commune with them. A Catholic priest once told me that in the case of traveling he would advise his parishioners to attend a Catholic church if available, if not the second choice would be an Orthodox church, third episcopalian, then Lutheran. Obviously each priest might have their own preferences or thoughts on this, but I thought it was interesting.
I think it depends on which type of Catholic. I’ve read that some of the more traditional branches have stricter rules regarding which churches one can attend so you’re right that it depends on the specific priest. I imagine a Novus Ordo parish to be much more lenient than a TLM/SSPX etc parish. As to my SIL, she told me and my mom that she couldn’t (wouldn’t?) attend our church but she’ll let my mom take her kids to the Lutheran service while she attends the Catholic one. So it’s just weird and a perfect example of the kind of family drama that can result from interfaith marriages. It’s really best if the couple just picks either one or the other.

messaggera

Woodpecker
Woman
A Catholic priest once told me that in the case of traveling he would advise his parishioners to attend a Catholic church if available, if not the second choice would be an Orthodox church, third episcopalian, then Lutheran. Obviously each priest might have their own preferences or thoughts on this, but I thought it was interesting.

One of the most beautiful Episcopal Church visited was in Palm Beach Florida (Bethesda) the landscaping was inviting, and peaceful. Also there was no one there at the time so it felt a little surreal moving about the gardens and structures.

Wait, you disagree with me that a Christian is Christian first and denomination second? I'm sorry but no, no, no, no, no. And I never said denomination doesn't matter so let's keep the straw men out of here.