Psalter Prayer/Reading Group for Nativity/Christmas Season: Need 20 participants, beginning Nov. 28th

messaggera

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
Psalm 25

1 In you, Lord my God,
I put my trust.

4 Show me your ways, Lord,
teach me your paths.
5 Guide me in your truth and teach me,
for you are God my Savior,
and my hope is in you all day long.
6 Remember, Lord, your great mercy and love,
for they are from of old.
7 Do not remember the sins of my youth
and my rebellious ways;
according to your love remember me,
for you, Lord, are good.

IconWriter

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
How are you all doing? If you find you miss a day, it is ok to move on to the next. However a little "struggle" (to catch up) is good for us.

Isn't it wonderful to discover special verses that speak to us or bring back a memory: my mother's favorite verse, a song I sang at church, memory verses, etc. So many of these are prayers and can be applied to what is happening to us today, reminding us to have hope.

Have any of you found verses you want to memorize, or jot down in a notebook/journal to remember?

PineTreeFarmer

Sparrow
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
How are you all doing? If you find you miss a day, it is ok to move on to the next. However a little "struggle" (to catch up) is good for us.

Isn't it wonderful to discover special verses that speak to us or bring back a memory: my mother's favorite verse, a song I sang at church, memory verses, etc. So many of these are prayers and can be applied to what is happening to us today, reminding us to have hope.

Have any of you found verses you want to memorize, or jot down in a notebook/journal to remember?
I have skipped a few days, but the Songs of David reminded me so much of my son (David). Natural born warrior and pacifist. I of my dad, who is a musician and grew up in a church with no accompaniment that I wondered what the songs were meant to sound like.

IconWriter

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
I want to welcome to our group, Endless Gravity, who just messaged me. We now have 5 members: myself,
Christie2, Starlight, Messangera, and Endless Gravity (who is #5). Endless Gravity will begin with Kathisma 15 (Ps. 105-108).

IconWriter

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
I have skipped a few days, but the Songs of David reminded me so much of my son (David). Natural born warrior and pacifist. I of my dad, who is a musician and grew up in a church with no accompaniment that I wondered what the songs were meant to sound like.
Hi, PineTreeFarmer! It's wonderful the Psalms bring your loved ones to mind.
Are you officially joining our group? If so, you would actually be member #6, if you don't mind adjusting since I didn't know. You then would be at Kathisma 16 today, Psalms 109-117, and do K-17 tomorrow. If you prefer not, that is fine, too. Please pray for us and we will pray for you, too. (Let me know, though so I can keep the numbering correctly.)

We sing at church with only our God-given voices. It can be beautiful or depending on who is there, we just make a joyful noise! A reader chants Psalm 50/51 ("Have mercy on me O God...") before each liturgy. This Psalm of repentence reminds us we are entering into the presence of the Almighty God. At the end of liturgy we all joyfully sing Psalm 33 (34) "I will bless the Lord at all times...". You can't help but end up memorizing so many of these, hearing and singing them so often.

PineTreeFarmer

Sparrow
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
Hi, PineTreeFarmer! It's wonderful the Psalms bring your loved ones to mind.
Are you officially joining our group? If so, you would actually be member #6, if you don't mind adjusting since I didn't know. You then would be at Kathisma 16 today, Psalms 109-117, and do K-17 tomorrow. If you prefer not, that is fine, too. Please pray for us and we will pray for you, too. (Let me know, though so I can keep the numbering correctly.)

We sing at church with only our God-given voices. It can be beautiful or depending on who is there, we just make a joyful noise! A reader chants Psalm 50/51 ("Have mercy on me O God...") before each liturgy. This Psalm of repentence reminds us we are entering into the presence of the Almighty God. At the end of liturgy we all joyfully sing Psalm 33 (34) "I will bless the Lord at all times...". You can't help but end up memorizing so many of these, hearing and singing them so often.
I would love to join! I hope to get it all through it all through the 40 days.

PineTreeFarmer

Sparrow
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
And just as a holiday aside, I bought frankincense and myrrh at Walmart in incense sticks. So fun to be able to tell my kids what's burning!

Aboulia

Woodpecker
Orthodox
For those that don't know, there are variations in the Psalter, the numbering IconWriter posted is for a Septuagint based Psalter. If your bible is based off the Hebrew texts (KJV and most English translations), this is the equivalent numbering. It's not a huge deal, except for you'll wonder why K17 is so short, but if you want to be reading the psalms she listed, here it is.

Kathisma 1: Ps 1-8
K 2: Ps 9-17
K 3: Ps 18-24
K4: Ps 25-32
K5: Ps 33-37
K6: Ps 38- 46
K7: Ps 47-55
K8: Ps 56-64
K9: Ps 65-70
K10: Ps 71-77
K11: Ps 78-85
K12: Ps 86-91
K13: Ps 92-101
K14: Ps 102-105
K15: Ps 106-109
K16: Ps 110-118
K17: Ps 119
K18: Ps 120-134
K19: Ps 135-143
K20: Ps 144-150

PineTreeFarmer

Sparrow
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
For those that don't know, there are variations in the Psalter, the numbering IconWriter posted is for a Septuagint based Psalter. If your bible is based off the Hebrew texts (KJV and most English translations), this is the equivalent numbering. It's not a huge deal, except for you'll wonder why K17 is so short, but if you want to be reading the psalms she listed, here it is.

Kathisma 1: Ps 1-8
K 2: Ps 9-17
K 3: Ps 18-24
K4: Ps 25-32
K5: Ps 33-37
K6: Ps 38- 46
K7: Ps 47-55
K8: Ps 56-64
K9: Ps 65-70
K10: Ps 71-77
K11: Ps 78-85
K12: Ps 86-91
K13: Ps 92-101
K14: Ps 102-105
K15: Ps 106-109
K16: Ps 110-118
K17: Ps 119
K18: Ps 120-134
K19: Ps 135-143
K20: Ps 144-150
It's my background and my header on Twitter. Amazing how many clerical things happen in time to get me off track!

IconWriter

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
How are you all doing? Today I'm reading Psalm 118/119 "Blessed are those whose way is blameless..." It is the very long one, but worth reading slowly and savoring. I love to hear it chanted! "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path."

IconWriter

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
I hope you all had a blessed Christmas. it is wonderful sharing these readings together and knowing that prayers are said for each of us during these weeks. If you wish to continue with me, please do so until Nativity, old calendar, January 7th. If there is enough interest here we can do this again at the end of February, the beginning of Lent. Let me know if you are interested.

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
What do you think of reading Proverbs together? Reading psalms has been difficult for me.

I don't think there is a Proverb-er like there is a Psalter, but I like the specific "rules", "guidances on behaviour" and specific "examples" set out in Proverbs.

I have not reread Proverbs in a lifetime, but have been exposed to it with seemingly regular radar pings since studying game, evo-psych, red pill awareness by discerning men who care about saving some women from The Decline.

I am grateful to be able to write this request in your Psalter thread, thank you for reading @IconWriter

IconWriter

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
What do you think of reading Proverbs together? Reading psalms has been difficult for me.

I don't think there is a Proverb-er like there is a Psalter, but I like the specific "rules", "guidances on behaviour" and specific "examples" set out in Proverbs.

I have not reread Proverbs in a lifetime, but have been exposed to it with seemingly regular radar pings since studying game, evo-psych, red pill awareness by discerning men who care about saving some women from The Decline.

I am grateful to be able to write this request in your Psalter thread, thank you for reading @IconWriter
I'm sorry that the Psalm reading has been difficult for you. Others who have said the same were using translations that were harder to read. I really really recommend the books I thought I had mentioned above: the Ancient Faith Psalter in the Songs of Praise book by Sylvia Leotaritis (made for journalling) and the short commentaries from the book of Christ in the Psalms. by Patrick Henry Reardon. It is good to have a reading plan and the one for Psalms is already laid out. It will be useful to read Proverbs, too, especially in these times.

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Its the author of most of the Psalms I am judging.
Forgive me for writing this.

I researched more about him but can't get rid of my distaste.
I have difficulty forgiving that sin he committed, so much, that it blinds me to all the good he did in his life.
To read his created psalms is difficult.

IconWriter

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Yes, David sinned, but God forgave him when he was confronted by the prophet Nathan. We must remember that God forgave him as He forgives us; we are all sinners. So therefore we too, must forgive others.

He was "a man after God's own heart." (1 Samuel). He was a direct ancestor of Christ. Amazing, isn't it, God's forgiveness!

Psalm 50/51 "Have mercy on me O God according to your great mercy..." was written when he repented. The Psalms are full of asking forgiveness: Psalm 31/32 "Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered..." so his sin must have weighed heavily on him.

PineTreeFarmer

Sparrow
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
Where are y'all in the reading? I think I may get it all in if I start now because I got through the first half the first go round.

IconWriter

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Where are y'all in the reading? I think I may get it all in if I start now because I got through the first half the first go round.
I'm on Kathisma 11 today, so I should reach the end by Jan 6th. If you didn't lose your place, and you started with K 2, then today you'd be on K12, and so on. It's ok, though. We're just doing the best we can in a crazy-busy season.