Question about Cathlocism

Trewolla

Banned
Protestant
I pray that all of us could avoid committing a grave or mortal sin within 24 hours of the Sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation (which is often offered on Saturday). Not every sin or passing thought jeopardizes one's state of grace. Yet,

Can. 916 A person who is conscious of grave sin is not to celebrate Mass or receive the body of the Lord without previous sacramental confession unless there is a grave reason and there is no opportunity to confess; in this case the person is to remember the obligation to make an act of perfect contrition which includes the resolution of confessing as soon as possible.

And,

Grave matter is specified by the Ten Commandments, corresponding to the answer of Jesus to the rich young man: “Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not bear false witness, do not defraud, honor your father and your mother.” The gravity of sins is more or less great: murder is graver than theft. One must also take into account who is wronged: violence against parents is in itself graver than violence against a stranger (CCC 1858).

Whether you are fit or unfit to receive the Eucharist is a matter that would be very well known to you. It is true that few could approach the altar spotless. Reflect hard on all of your sins before doing so, and to make an act of contrition for all your sins. If there is any doubt in your mind that willful disobedience of a grave matter weighs on your soul, then why not confess those sins?

The opportunity to free yourself from these shackles is a gift of immense and immeasurable love from our Lord.

Even so, a Protestant should not take Communion at a Catholic church (and vice-versa).
Yeah, there's no good reason for debate on the matter. I'll continue to attend Mass with my wife and participate in those elements of it that agree with my Protestant ideas.

But I have to admit, the exclusionary, authoritative nature of it is something that I'm not used to.

On the other hand, I can't relate at all to the current trend of contemporary Protestant services. I'm an old school, traditional Protestant--quiet, respectful services,..no jumping around and shouting stuff. My minister is very sincere and conducts the Holy Communion service in a very respectful manner.

My opinion--attending services is important. But a persons's salvation is worked out in a personal, one on one relationship between the person and God.

The Church can provide guidance, but it can't do it for you.

Again, that's just my personal, Protestant view. I don't expect Catholics or the Orthodox to see it the way I do.

BasedBaker

Robin
Trad Catholic
I've been told by a couple of people that this element of Catholicism is sometimes referred to as "Protestant" Catholicism because of how their services have been configured since Vatican II.

All in all, I don't see a huge divide between the theology of this Catholic Church and the conservative Protestant Church that I attend. From what I can glean from the hymn lyrics and the pulpit message, they at "least" give a passing reference to salvation via faith. I suppose "works" figures into it somewhere.

I enjoy the Catholic Mass. I find a lot in it that I'm totally comfortable participating in.
I'm glad you are attending and you are certainly receiving graces. I'll pray for you and your wife.

The reason you feel comfortable is because you are attending a Novus Ordo Mass. I'm not trying to start a debate with anyone, but a Novus Ordo Mass and a Latin Mass are very different. I would love for you and your wife to attend a Latin Mass.

I have another question for you, have you ever prayed the rosary? I was a Protestant for the majority of my life and the idea of prayer to the Virgin Mary was very uncomfortable for awhile. So please, trust me when I say I know what you are feeling. But if you could for one week pray the rosary with your wife. While she is the Catholic and you aren't, you still should lead it as you are the husband. I cannot stress this enough. The rosary is so powerful. Here is a quick link for you:

Lastly, here is a wonderful sermon but a great priest, Fr. Alphonsus Maria.

BasilSeal

Woodpecker
Catholic
Gold Member
Not every thread in the Catholic forum needs to include a disclaimer about Novus Ordo. It is not on topic, and it leads to the inevitable pile on. I love praying the rosary with my family. I agree with this excellent advice.

Trewolla

Banned
Protestant
All of these terms and the concept of praying the Rosary are foreign to me. I attend Mass to support my wife. But I'm totally incapable of providing any leadership in her Catholic journey. I grew up in the Methodist Church and as an adult, my search for a Church led me to a totally autonomous Church of Christ congregation. I'm a Sola Scriptura Protestant to the bone. I think Martin Luther made some very good observations.

But that's my personal journey. I don't care to debate with anyone who is pulled in a different direction. For all I know, God pushed them in that direction--as I believe he pushed me towards mine.

I've seen the corruption in the central leadership of the Methodist Church. I've seen the corruption of the central leadership which caused my Church to declare itself autonomous. Consequently, I'm a bit dubious about *any* religion organization which answers to a central leadership.

I enjoy many aspects of the Mass. Some aspects of it emphasize the fact that I'm an outsider. If the Catholic Church is what calls to you, that's where you belong. It doesn't call to me.

I'm an independently minded Sola Scriptura Protestant who is trying very hard to adhere to the fundamental tenets of Christianity. Basically, the Messiah is the lamb of God who was sent to earth as a sacrifice for the sins of the world. The law will always be the law, but salvation is gained via faith--not works. I pray to God, who consists of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

In my Protestant opinion, it really doesn't need to be complicated beyond that.

So, I won't be becoming a Catholic. But I'll support my wife in her Catholic journey any way I can and I'll enjoy attending Mass with her. I'll also be attending the studies that her Priest puts together for her. I'll listen to what he has to say.

Last edited: