Race riots 2020

An0dyne

Robin
Other Christian
Were the majority brought then, or after the codification? Specifically, what proportion were brought before 1789?

That's immaterial to the assertion "blacks would not be in America at all."

In any case don't know the answer to your question, but feel free to report back when you find out. What I do know is that thousands of blacks fought in the revolutionary war.

An0dyne

Robin
Other Christian
Diversity is a good thing: let's conserve separate cultures, separately.
"This has happened countless times historically." No.
Although yes, the constitution should have outlawed slavery.

I do not disagree at all that diversity is good, even God-pleasing, and it's a good thing to preserve distinct cultures. American culture is a distinct thing, as is African American culture. These are worthy of preservation. What we shouldn't have is a bunch of other foreign nationals coming over and maintaining their own cultural mores in our nation (e.g., Chinese, Mexican, Arab, etc.). Either assimilate into our culture, or stay in your own cultural lands.

And, yes, this has happened historically. You can see cultural assilimilation in the Bible for goodness sake. If cultural assimilation did not happen, we'd all still be Assyrians or Babylonians or something.

Peacock
Catholic
Gold Member
Early in the 1800s, London oligarchs figured out that slavery was unnecessary, and not that efficient, because you have to house, feed and oversee the slaves, take care of the kids and elderly, and all that costs at least as much resources and money as just paying cheap labor "slave wages", especially when much of Asia and Africa were becoming colonies, with limitless labor available. So they turned to just paying for the milk instead of having to take care of the cow. That was around the time Britain outlawed slavery (Slave Trade Act 1807), and Haiti had its slave revolt, backed by the Brits and masons.

I do not disagree at all that diversity is good, even God-pleasing, and it's a good thing to preserve distinct cultures. American culture is a distinct thing, as is African American culture. These are worthy of preservation. What we shouldn't have is a bunch of other foreign nationals coming over and maintaining their own cultural mores in our nation (e.g., Chinese, Mexican, Arab, etc.). Either assimilate into our culture, or stay in your own cultural lands.

And, yes, this has happened historically. You can see cultural assilimilation in the Bible for goodness sake. If cultural assimilation did not happen, we'd all still be Assyrians or Babylonians or something.

The tone of your response now seems different to those of the posts I replied to. Perhaps I didn't see your point then. Anyway:

Why bring in these people, and thus have to ask the question of assimilation at all? Why must the burden of an influx of peoples be placed on only certain countries? This isn't really a question to you, given both neo-liberals and conservatives are intent on injecting the unnecessary genetic diversity you seemed to praise earlier. But I think the difference in our opinions towards this is more a matter of degree than kind, except in the matter of the fact that I look at people as belonging to different "stocks". I don't say this to make comparisons between stocks, just to note that they seem inherently different. A Somalian Japan may not be the Japan we have today.

That being said, I think you're over-optimistic about the feasibility or goodness of assimilation, given the "countless" (to borrow your language) counterexamples to your point that also exist, including the one we empirically see playing out in front of us today. Cultural enrichment seems to replace its host with a glob of paper citizen urbanite consumerism.

About the slavery thing: yea, your point stands that it is incorrect to assume no black people would exist in the US if the constitution was written differently. I suspect radically fewer would be, but I can't be bothered to back that up. Still, I think your point about a lot of the anger with African-American culture originating from their poor treatment also stands. Why so much of the identity seems to be focused on this is a different discussion. I was also being particular to be an ass.

I need to go outside a bit after this virus blows over. I'm starting to sound like a basement-dweller, although the opinions themselves I hold.

Last edited:

Eban

Robin
Is it me or do these stories always seem to pop up and get blown up by the media when there is a presidential election coming? (I mean no disrespect to the victim)

Kona

Crow
Gold Member
They burned down the police station:

minneapolis-police-death.jpg

This country is going crazy.

Look at these pictures:

https://katu.com/news/nation-world/...-fires-in-wake-of-george-floyd-death#photo-29

You guys are making some fun little jokes about slavery and genetics but man there's a whole lot of white people out there. You can't tell me George Soros is paying them all. This is the white man imploding. I'm really lucky to be on an island with some seriously closed borders far away from this nonsense.

Aloha!

BURNΞR

Ostrich
Agnostic
He has to come down hard on MN and shift the blame to democrats that run the state. MN is a blue state and was never going to vote Trump anyway, so no loss if they are angered by his tweet. By appearing weak here he loses his base.

Kona

Crow
Gold Member

That's white people attacking cops.

These white people in Denver are really upset that the white cop killed a black man in Minnesota:

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...do-capitol-demanding-justice-for-george-floyd

Please, please watch at about 3:20 into the news video when the bandaged white kid says "I play paintball, and that wasn't a paintball."

Now, while all this is going on you got cops shooting white people at a protest in Louisville. Turns out, this protest is because cops there killed a black EMT the other day. This one's new:

https://www.wlky.com/article/hundre...g-for-justice-in-breonna-taylor-case/32705046

I am very confused by all of this.

Aloha!

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
You and me both, fellow islander.

Is there something about being surrounded by water that makes people take the ramifications of their actions more seriously? Kind of like "maybe I shouldn't be an asshole unless I become a really good swimmer first".

Burning down the police station is a pretty big deal. It creates a very dangerous precedent in the minds of the participants.

https://www.wlky.com/article/hundre...g-for-justice-in-breonna-taylor-case/32705046

Based on the 911 transcript it seems like the cops forced entry to the house without identifying themselves and then shot the first person they saw, either because they (rightly) had a gun in their hand or the cops simply made a mistake. The boyfriend returned fire and the police retreated.

Police body cams are a contentious issue but to think that no-knock raids are still being carried out without body cameras is just ridiculous. The difference between the cops/inhabitants being the murderers/heroes ends up entirely based on he-says-she-says testimony where the cops say "we identified ourselves" and the inhabitants say "no, they didn't, we thought it was a home invasion".

Last edited:

Maurice Ravel

Sparrow
Catholic
Chaos, and yes many white people are participating...

I don't know what people mean by Balkanization exactly, but if they mean separation into specific enclaves and based solely on race, I wonder how do they think that could possibly work out?
Would you take with you the whites who are participating in the destruction of Minneapolis right now?

Will_Cross

Banned
You cannot get involved in race discussions if you have under 50 posts
There were more race riots under Obama than Trump. Let's not forget Ferguson riots, Baltimore riots, Trayvon Martin riots, etc. under Obama.

I highly doubt there is a political, 'election changer' agenda behind it. These riots wouldn't sway any votes away from Trump, if anything he would gain more support from this.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
Chaos, and yes many white people are participating...

I don't know what people mean by Balkanization exactly, but if they mean separation into specific enclaves and based solely on race, I wonder how do they think that could possibly work out?
Would you take with you the whites who are participating in the destruction of Minneapolis right now?

There are currently 50 states in America. Balkanization doesn't reduce the number of borders, generally speaking it increases them.

If a racial Balkanization occurred it would simply mean you'd end up with outcomes like a northern and southern California, not the erasure of all state borders under the presumption of racial solidarity uber alles.