Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Teedub

Crow
Gold Member
^ Absolute nonsense, and Dre would tell you that himself. Everyone has to be discovered by someone, and Eminem happened to be signed by Dre.

Contrary to the fairytale story that's been spun since, Eminem was absolutely on the radar of other executives and producers. Dre lent him street cred and some great beats, but he'd have made it either way.

jordypip23

Ostrich
Gold Member
Being an older hip hop head, I have some nostalgia for some of the older, more obscure Eminem material... In terms of pure technicality he is one of the best to do it. In terms of spitting witty bars & keeping a high energy flow going.

Believe it or not this first song below has an early Kanye West beat! Madd Rapper ft. Eminem - Stir Crazy

This 2nd song (Any Man) was from the Soundbombing Volume 2 soundtrack presented by Rawkus Records.

Repo

Hummingbird
Eminem continues to sacrifice musical quality for going out of his way for needlessly complex lyrics. I can see how people who like dissecting lyrics love him, but I cant kick back and groove out to him.

That said kill shot > rap devil

jordypip23

Ostrich
Gold Member
Repo said:
Eminem continues to sacrifice musical quality for going out of his way for needlessly complex lyrics. I can see how people who like dissecting lyrics love him, but I cant kick back and groove out to him.

That said kill shot > rap devil

I can get down with that opinion. Generally speaking also, I'm not as big of a fan of much of the latter half or so of his catalog. His latest surprise album is definitely better IMO than the pop album he put out late last year.

godfather dust

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Stonk said:
You prefer Travis Scott and ASAp rocky to Eminem? You're a joker??

Eminem 90s-2002 potential GOAT
Hasn't dropped a good record since Marshal Mather's LP (maybe Devil's Night.) Hated Eminem Show that's where the whole political shit started, 3/10
Looks like he has AIDs from sucking off Jewish executives (that's just me hating now though.)

I will listen to ASAP Rocky and Travis Scott and enjoy the production, Eminem has been trash for 15 years

jordypip23

Ostrich
Gold Member
godfather dust said:
Stonk said:
You prefer Travis Scott and ASAp rocky to Eminem? You're a joker??

Eminem 90s-2002 potential GOAT
Hasn't dropped a good record since Marshal Mather's LP (maybe Devil's Night.) Hated Eminem Show that's where the whole political shit started, 3/10
Looks like he has AIDs from sucking off Jewish executives (that's just me hating now though.)

I will listen to ASAP Rocky and Travis Scott and enjoy the production, Eminem has been trash for 15 years

Hahahah. Probably depends on my mood & depends on the day, but sometimes this is my opinion of Eminem as well. At least we agree his early work was some excellent material.

Teedub

Crow
Gold Member
Ha, I think the Eminem Show is his pinnacle - his flow was never better than that 2003/8-Mile period. I think he mentions politics literally once or twice on Square Dance, and that's it. I still listen to that album a few times a year, can't say the same for anything else he's done.

Though I disagree he's "trash", the MMLP2 was quirky and had some experimental flows and song concepts, and he's still an elite level MC in terms of vocab, flow, verse structure etc.

godfather dust

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Teedub said:
Ha, I think the Eminem Show is his pinnacle - his flow was never better than that 2003/8-Mile period. I think he mentions politics literally once or twice on Square Dance, and that's it. I still listen to that album a few times a year, can't say the same for anything else he's done.

Eminem Show was a "serious" record, maybe I'm remembering wrong I just know there's not a single track on there I bump these days. SS LP, MM LP and some Devil's Night still get played.

Obviously I am debating taste at this point (which is not really a debatable topic.)

Teedub

Crow
Gold Member
Yeah at the point it was his most serious to date, but it still had its fair share of humorous songs. But I liked it precisely because it was a bit of a departure, he talked about his life being changed by fame etc, and it was the first time he - on quite a few songs - dropped the hyper-nasal 'Slim Shady voice' and rapped in his actual one.

godfather dust

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Part of it is I was 14 or whatever smoking dope listening to the records so I liked the abstract wild stuff in the albums I mentioned (MM LP, SS LP, Devil's Night) which dropped off significantly on Eminem Show, too straight forward.

godfather dust

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Pride male said:
The only reason Eminem sold the most albums is because whites support his music by buying it. Where as blacks are more likely to download or bootlegg.

I agree his race helped him sell records on some level, but part of that was his white subject matter (eating mushrooms, NSYNC, calling people "faggot" as one of the main insults which was the way it was in '98, etc.)

If you notice white rappers who don't talk about white shit are generally LESS successful than their black counterparts. There's a few exceptions, Vanilla Ice blew up probably solely due to being a handsome white man, and one of the first white rappers.

I thought all the new face-tattoo rappers were retarded but this kid lil skies has some pretty catchy songs and a good flow. His lyrics are way better than lil pump or others in his age group.

Winston Wolfe

Woodpecker

Any Atmosphere fans here? I like the minimalistic beat, flow and music video of this one, yet it still builds up and varies in intensity.

That whole album is gold by the way: Atmosphere - When Life Gives You Lemons, You Paint That Shit Gold

Edit: another one of my favorites:

Off the same album.

Every beat on that album is super simple with only the minimum amount of layers necessary. Yet beautifully done. Brilliant storytelling also.