Recipes

Lamkins

Robin
Do-it-yourself teriyaki anything is an artform. I just did that exact formula but on a fish. Wow. It was awful! I mean that with all due respect considering your ingredients are for chickens. I'm also not good at spoons. Tea versus table, I always over do it. There's plenty of fish in the sea so will try again.

Aloha!

Really? We love it, but we aren’t teriyaki connoisseurs. Maybe I need to change the name of it, lol.

My favorite way to bake fish is pour on some soy sauce, sprinkle dried ginger over it, lay a green onion across it, wrap in aluminum foil and bake. I’ve yet to find anything else that’s so good yet so simple. Wait, there’s Crack Fish.......mix equal parts Mayo and shredded cheese. Add green onions and/or onion powder. Spread over fish and bake. It forms kind of a crust of sorts. Mmmm. It’s good over chicken too.

Last edited:

Leeloo

Robin
Family recipe Italian meat sauce
Serves 10-12, with enough leftovers to be enjoyed the next day. Also freezes well for later.

24oz tomato paste, water* **
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 medium onion, peeled, whole
1 can (28oz) tomato purée
1bay leaf
Fresh basil, ground pepper, to taste
1/4 tsp. Sugar (optional)

in large deep saucepan, put tomato paste and 3 cans full of water (1for each can of paste); stir over low heat. Add garlic, onion, bay leaf, basil, pepper, and sugar. Stir until smooth. Simmer over medium heat.

*If using sauce for lasagna, use 30oz tomato paste
**Home canned and jarred tomatoes are best, of course, but store-bought turns out great too.

For meatballs:
3-4 lbs 90% lean ground beef
Bread crumbs
Grated cheese (parmesan or Romano)
1egg
Oregano, pepper, onion powder

Mix all ingredients together until mixture is firm. Shape into round balls a bit larger than golf balls (approx. 10 meatballs per pound of mixture). Drop into bubbling sauce mixture; stir occasionally. Simmer for 3 hours, then add can of purée. Simmer for 1 more hour with sauce pan cover ajar.

For sausage:
2-3 pounds of preferred Italian sausage.

Boil mild Italian sausage links in water for 1 hour. Rinse off and add to sauce after meatballs.

Sauce and meat are cooked together in the sauce to flavor it. The onion also cooks whole within the sauce until nearly falling apart and is an extra treat to serve as a garnish. Serve with favorite pasta and fresh grated parmesan cheese and fresh baked bread. Don’t forget to remove your bay leaf!

Last edited:

Leeloo

Robin
Family recipe Italian meat sauce

24oz tomato paste, water* **
3-4 cloves garlic, peeled
1 medium onion, peeled, whole
1 can (28oz) tomato purée
1bay leaf
Fresh basil, ground pepper, to taste
1/4 tsp. Sugar (optional)

in large deep saucepan, put tomato paste and 3 cans full of water (1for each can of paste); stir over low heat. Add garlic, onion, bay leaf, basil, pepper, and sugar. Stir until smooth. Simmer over medium heat.

*If using sauce for lasagna, use 30oz tomato paste
**Home canned and jarred tomatoes are best, of course, but store-bought turns out great too.

For meatballs:
3-4 lbs 90% lean ground beef
Bread crumbs
Grated cheese (parmesan or Romano)
1egg
Oregano, pepper, onion powder

Mix all ingredients together until mixture is firm. Shape into round balls a bit larger than golf balls (approx. 10 meatballs per pound of mixture). Drop into bubbling sauce mixture; stir occasionally. Simmer for 3 hours, then add can of purée. Simmer for 1 more hour with sauce pan cover ajar.

For sausage:
2-3 pounds of preferred Italian sausage.

Boil mild Italian sausage links in water for 1 hour. Rinse off and add to sauce after meatballs.

Sauce and meat are cooked together in the sauce to flavor it. The onion also cooks whole within the sauce until nearly falling apart and is an extra treat to serve as a garnish. Serve with favorite pasta and fresh grated parmesan cheese and fresh baked bread. Don’t forget to remove your bay leaf!
Italian family recipe lasagna

Use meat sauce recipe from above.
Cook 1 package lasagna sheets, al dente. Either fresh or boxed pasta is fine.
Spray bottom of 13x9” glass baking dish and add enough sauce to coat the bottom. This will help prevent burning.

Add 1 layer of lasagna sheets, 6 mashed meatballs, grated Parmesan and mozzarella, and sauce. Repeat layers. Fresh ricotta is optional, but keep it thin and skip the ricotta layers spread thinly to reduce sogginess/ moisture.
Add small amount of water to edges of baking dish and make sure the pasta doesn’t touch the edge of the baking dish. Cover with foil and bake at 350F for 30-45 mins. You can opt to uncover and place more cheese on top to broil for the last few minutes but watch it carefully to avoid burning.
Remove from oven, uncover, and let set for a few minutes before cutting and serving.

Last edited:

Leeloo

Robin
Do-it-yourself teriyaki anything is an artform. I just did that exact formula but on a fish. Wow. It was awful! I mean that with all due respect considering your ingredients are for chickens. I'm also not good at spoons. Tea versus table, I always over do it. There's plenty of fish in the sea so will try again.

Aloha!

Aloha!
I’m willing to bet you have some great fish recipes. Seafood isn’t normally my forte, but I’m hoping to branch out and brush up on some new dishes for Lent this year.

Leeloo

Robin
My mother also makes these incredibly savory spinach balls that you won’t think you’ll like until you suddenly end up eating 6 of them! *

2 packages Frozen spinach, thawed and drained very well
1 box stove top style stuffing mix*
1 2/3 cup hot water
2tbsp butter
1 cup chopped mushrooms.
1 small onion, minced
1/4 red bell pepper, minced
2 eggs
1 cup grated cheese (Parmesan or Romano)

Preheat oven to 400F
Mix stuffing mix,hot water, and butter in bowl. Add spinach, cheese, mushrooms, onion, pepper, and eggs. Form mixture into 1” balls. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve. They also are pretty great cold.

*I figured out a gluten free conversion for these spinach balls that are also just to die for. If there’s any interest, I can post that as well

**you can substitute Panko breadcrumbs for the stuffing mix. Start with 1/4 cup and add until mixture is firm enough to hold together.

Leeloo

Robin
Ladies, I’m on a roll. I’ve been poring through all the old family recipes and keep finding gems...
This was my mon’s go-to for a quick bite with on-hand ingredients when family or friends would drop by

Simple coffee cake

2 cups unsifted, all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsps baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup cooking oil
1/2 milk

Topping:
Blend 2 tablespoons flour, 1tsp cinnamon, 1tbsp cocoa powder,1/3 cup sugar, and 1/4 cold butter until crumbly.

in mixing bowl, stir flour with sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center of dry mixture.
Combine eggs, oil, and milk separately. Add all at once to dry ingredients and stir just to moisten.
Pour into greased 8inch round dish and sprinkle with topping. Microwave on high for 5-7 minutes, cool 15 minutes*. If desired drizzle with fine glaze.

Fine Glaze:
Stir together 3/4 cup confectioners sugar and 1 tbsp milk. From tip of sooon, drizzle glaze over cake in spoke fashion.

*I’m not a fan of the microwave, but the original recipe was intended as a quick whip-up dessert to be hospitable to unexpected guests. I haven’t tried a conversion to oven baking, but I plan to do some experiments with this recipe starting at 350F for 8-10 mins.

Last edited:

Starlight

Robin
The onion also cooks whole within the sauce until nearly falling apart and is an extra treat to serve as a garnish.
I haven’t heard of this before, cooking the onion whole in the sauce. Definitely going to try that next time I make pasta!

*I’m not a fan of the microwave, but the original recipe was intended as a quick whip-up dessert to be hospitable to unexpected guests.
This sounds like a great convenient recipe. Since it uses the microwave, I think it’s one I might give to my middle daughter who loves to bake! Thank you for sharing :blush:

PVW

Pigeon
My mother also makes these incredibly savory spinach balls that you won’t think you’ll like until you suddenly end up eating 6 of them! *

2 packages Frozen spinach, thawed and drained very well
1 box stove top style stuffing mix*
1 2/3 cup hot water
2tbsp butter
1 cup chopped mushrooms.
1 small onion, minced
1/4 red bell pepper, minced
2 eggs
1 cup grated cheese (Parmesan or Romano)

Preheat oven to 400F
Mix stuffing mix,hot water, and butter in bowl. Add spinach, cheese, mushrooms, onion, pepper, and eggs. Form mixture into 1” balls. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve. They also are pretty great cold.

*I figured out a gluten free conversion for these spinach balls that are also just to die for. If there’s any interest, I can post that as well

**you can substitute Panko breadcrumbs for the stuffing mix. Start with 1/4 cup and add until mixture is firm enough to hold together.
This reminds me of a recipe I found for stuffed portobella mushrooms. All the other ingredients, but no eggs, though, and I've prepared the stuffing mix with stock. After stuffing the mushrooms, I baked for about 20 minutes or so at 350.

Leeloo

Robin
I haven’t heard of this before, cooking the onion whole in the sauce. Definitely going to try that next time I make pasta!

This sounds like a great convenient recipe. Since it uses the microwave, I think it’s one I might give to my middle daughter who loves to bake! Thank you for sharing :blush:
The ‘sauce onion’ is the best part! It flavors the whole pot during the simmer and tastes wonderful at the end.

Leeloo

Robin
Pasta e Ceci, a Roman staple meal
Recipe source: the Smitten Kitchen blog
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
  • 3 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper or red pepper flakes, to taste
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (from one 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed)
  • 1/2 cup (2 ounces or 55 grams) uncooked ditalini pasta (or another small shape; I use annelini)
  • 2 cups (475 ml) boiling water (update: actually I just use tap, not boiled, water)
  • TO FINISH​

• 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil (estimate 1 per serving)
  • 1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
  • Salt and red pepper flakes

• medium-large heavy-bottomed pot or deep saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil until it shimmers. Add 2 smashed cloves of garlic and cook, stirring until it becomes lightly, barely browned but very fragrant. Stir in the tomato paste, salt, and pepper and cook them with the garlic for 30 seconds or so. Add the chickpeas, pasta, and boiling water. Stir to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot, lower the heat, and simmer until the pasta is cooked and a lot of the liquid has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning and ladle into bowls.

• Make finishing oil: Heat 2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil in a small sauce- or frying pan over medium-low heat with remaining clove of garlic, rosemary, a pinch or two of salt and pepper flakes, until sizzling; pull it off the heat as soon as the garlic is going to start taking on color. Drizzle this over bowls of pasta e ceci and eat it right away.

The beauty of this recipe is that it is a loose base that can be adjusted and interpreted any way you like. Common variations include simmering with a parmesan rind; adding spinach, peas, or carrots; or substituting cannelloni beans instead of the ceci.
    I love this because it takes only 20 minutes, uses things you already keep on hand, and is a crowd pleaser. Plan to double this, because your kids will love it!!

Leeloo

Robin
I just received an air fryer today. Does anyone have advice or beginner recipes to share with a first-time user?
Specifically I’d like to start with classic fried chicken or fries (potatoes), per my family’s request. Does anyone have a good go-to recipe?

Side note, I’m also looking for a good Swedish meatball recipe, preferably for the Instant Pot or regular crock pot.
If anyone can help out, that would be great!

Lamkins

Robin
Specifically I’d like to start with classic fried chicken or fries (potatoes), per my family’s request. Does anyone have a good go-to recipe?

Side note, I’m also looking for a good Swedish meatball recipe, preferably for the Instant Pot or regular crock pot.
If anyone can help out, that would be great!

I got an air fryer last year and aside from making great tater tots or frozen fried fish I’ve found it to be kind of useless. Even for us....two people....it doesn’t make enough in one session (unless they’re now making the basket bigger). I ended up using it to make tater tots to eat with breakfast and not much else. I fried chicken with it the first day I got it. Parts of the chicken didn’t brown, but other than that it was crispy, juicy, and delicious. I don’t have a recipe as I never bothered with fried chicken again.

Leeloo

Robin
I got an air fryer last year and aside from making great tater tots or frozen fried fish I’ve found it to be kind of useless. Even for us....two people....it doesn’t make enough in one session (unless they’re now making the basket bigger). I ended up using it to make tater tots to eat with breakfast and not much else. I fried chicken with it the first day I got it. Parts of the chicken didn’t brown, but other than that it was crispy, juicy, and delicious. I don’t have a recipe as I never bothered with fried chicken again.
Thank you, Lamkins. I received mine on lend from my empty nest parents, who basically feel the same way— they didn’t use it enough for the two of them. My household is only my husband and I plus my adult stepson (so we don’t eat much more, in general). Im going to give it a go, but it’s normally not something I’d buy for myself or have room for in my kitchen.

I’m trying to keep my appliances to a minimum. I already have a juicer, a Nutri Bullet/blender, and Instant Pot (trying to phase out crock pot)

Lamkins

Robin
Thank you, Lamkins. I received mine on lend from my empty nest parents, who basically feel the same way— they didn’t use it enough for the two of them. My household is only my husband and I plus my adult stepson (so we don’t eat much more, in general). Im going to give it a go, but it’s normally not something I’d buy for myself or have room for in my kitchen.

I’m trying to keep my appliances to a minimum. I already have a juicer, a Nutri Bullet/blender, and Instant Pot (trying to phase out crock pot)

If you figure out a way to use it I’d be interested. I never made any of the fried pies it’s supposed to be good at. I did consider trying French fries, but the instructions looked like more trouble than I wanted to bother with. I’d get rid of mine, but Mr Lamkins is unreasonably attached to it, lol.

Leeloo

Robin
If you figure out a way to use it I’d be interested. I never made any of the fried pies it’s supposed to be good at. I did consider trying French fries, but the instructions looked like more trouble than I wanted to bother with. I’d get rid of mine, but Mr Lamkins is unreasonably attached to it, lol.
I will keep you posted. I’m planning to find and try a fried chicken recipe tomorrow night. Mr. Leeloo is really looking forward to it.

Lamkins

Robin
If you’ve ever wished you could make baked potatoes like a restaurant here’s your answer. I just had one for lunch. It was perfect. The interior was light and fluffy, and the skin was crispy.

Preheat oven to 450 F.
Wash potatoes.
Mix half a cup water with a tablespoon of salt. Stir well.
Poke several holes in the potatoes with a fork.
Set up a cookie sheet with a cooling rack on it. You want the heat to reach all sides of the potatoes.
Roll your potatoes in the salt/water mix and set potatoes on the cooling rack.
Bake for 45-60 minutes. My potatoes were huge, so I baked for 80 minutes. The instructions call for taking the temp of the potato, but I just did the squeeze test.
Remove from oven, brush all sides with oil, and bake 10 more minutes.
Cut open and spread open immediately as you want the steam to escape to create that fluffy texture.

Reactions: PVW