Lamkins

Woodpecker
Woman
Protestant
Fresh Fruit Sherbet (pic is mango)
1 cup frozen fruit
liquid-milk or fruit juice
sweetener, optional

Blend fruit in blender till slushy consistency. I use a vitamix, but I think a nutribullet would be fine too.Add liquid if needed. I usually add a splash or two. Sweeten to taste.

C1317C20-7290-42CC-87DD-8E71FB13FB47.jpeg

emmapollock

Chicken
Woman
The main reason that fancy restaurants serve smaller food portions is because of the pricing of the ingredients. According to zainyz the more high-priced ingredients they use for the dish, the more expensive the dish will be.

emmapollock

Chicken
Woman
You'll have no problem getting everyone to gather for dinner with these family-friendly meals. zainyz stated that Pizza, pasta, pork chops, tacos, and everything in between — these quick and easy recipes will have them running to the table!

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
Using up odds and ends in the fridge tonight. Made a soup with onion, zuchinni, mushrooms, chicken, and chickpeas (also threw a handful of pasta in because I like pasta). Also had a bunch of leftover fruit from Transfiguration so I made a bisquick batter with plum and apricot slices and sprinkled sugar on top. (My mom did this a lot with plums.)

I get free chicken from work and it's taking up about a third of the freezer, so I'm using it in other ways.

Leeloo

Woodpecker
Woman
Catholic
I wanted to follow up and say that the tilapia caprese is AMAZING! Very low calorie but filling. Really like the whole, simple ingredients.
I modified it a little to make it more healthy (for me) and another version to make it less exotic (for Mr. Leeloo, who thinks he’s not a fish guy).

Instead of pesto I just sprinkled very fresh basil onto the fillets. Cut the amount of olive oil and balsamic in half so the taste of then high quality mozzarella really shone through in this dish. We had it reheated the next day so the mozzarella pearls got nice and melty. Was super filling and delicious, we didn’t even need the side salads I made. Anyway, this will be a new staple meal in my house. Easy, simple and nutritious. Will work with any white fish. When fish is heavily on sale and discounted during Lent, I see this as an alternative to Friday fish fry.

messaggera

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
Cake or cupcake recipe.
I use this one when making blueberry muffins.

1/2 a cup softened butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup milk
oven 375° bake for 30 to 35 minutes

Preheat oven

Cream 1/2 cup softened butter with one and 1/4 cups sugar until light.

Add two eggs, one at a time, beat
Add vanilla

Sift together in a different bowl:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt

Add to creamed mixture and then add 1/2 cup milk to all ingredients. I use a kitchen aid mixer.

I crash 1/2 cup blueberries and fold into mixture.

A sweet batter.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
Cake or cupcake recipe.

Nice, I'm going to try this with apple muffins tomorrow.

The other night I browned some ground turkey with steak seasoning, layered sauteed onions and portobello mushrooms, sprinkled dill on top, and then served it on brown rice (I don't have any particular affection for brown rice but it's periodically good for a change)

Very tasty and cheap meal! (We had roasted acorn squash on the side)

messaggera

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
Nice, I'm going to try this with apple muffins tomorrow.

We just finished our third apple pie from the bushel of apples picked at the orchard last month. Every year we go to bring in the Autumn season. Next week we will stock up on pie pumpkins at a nearby farm.

I would be interested in your apple muffin recipe if you prep the apples with anything?

Here is an apple pie recipe with very minimum dough for a pie crust:

Apple prep to be tossed in a bowl
6 to 7 apples thinly sliced
1 Tablespoon lemon juice

In a separate bowl mix
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of baked sugar brown
3 tablespoons of flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Add apples with lemon to the bowl.

Pie crust
1 1/4 cup of flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup cubed cold butter
3/4 tablespoon ice water

Knead, roll out. This makes a minimum pie crust that will provide a bottom and very minimum top.

375 degrees - 25 minutes with foil then 20-25 minutes longer.

I then sprinkle sugar on top for a short time under the broil light to crystallize the sugar on top of crust before removing from the oven to cool.
Very tasty and cheap meal! (We had roasted acorn squash on the side)

Mushrooms sound so good. Sometimes I’ll put feta on and broil in the oven. Thank you for sharing this recipe.

messaggera

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic

1/2 a cup softened butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt. 1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup milk
oven 375° bake for 30 to 35 minutes

Preheat oven

Cream 1/2 cup softened butter with one and 1/4 cups sugar until light.

Add two eggs, one at a time, beat
Add vanilla

Sift together in a different bowl:
2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon of salt

Add to creamed mixture and then add 1/2 cup milk to all ingredients. I use a kitchen aid mixer.

I crash 1/2 cup blueberries and fold into mixture.

A sweet batter.
@Ah_Tibor I mistyped the salt part. It should be 1/2 not one and 1 1/2. Eeek

Less salt is better

Oda Mae

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
Anyone making anything interesting for Thanksgiving Day?
I am making a carrot and celeriac salad. I fell in love with it in Germany. I have never made it before, but have a list of ingredients. Hmmm. A little worried about whether the celeriac little strips will darken. Maybe toss with lemon juice? Maybe I should have gone with my normal shaved Brussels sprouts and bacon salad. Also.making a cream cheese and pumpkin spread to go with toasted bagels for Friday morning before we all head home. Thank goodness everyone in my family.likes to cook, I count myself lucky!

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
I am making a carrot and celeriac salad. I fell in love with it in Germany. I have never made it before, but have a list of ingredients. Hmmm. A little worried about whether the celeriac little strips will darken. Maybe toss with lemon juice? Maybe I should have gone with my normal shaved Brussels sprouts and bacon salad. Also.making a cream cheese and pumpkin spread to go with toasted bagels for Friday morning before we all head home. Thank goodness everyone in my family.likes to cook, I count myself lucky!
Please share the carrot and celeriac salad recipe if you don’t mind. That sounds really interesting. I’ve used a saltwater soak for apples/pears (followed with a good rinse) to keep them from turning brown and it works very well. I’m not sure how well that might work with root vegetables though.

Oda Mae

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer

Oda Mae

Pigeon
Woman
Orthodox Inquirer
Please share the carrot and celeriac salad recipe if you don’t mind. That sounds really interesting. I’ve used a saltwater soak for apples/pears (followed with a good rinse) to keep them from turning brown and it works very well. I’m not sure how well that might work with root vegetables though.
I decided on this one. Minus the raisins, I think.

messaggera

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
Was a little late picking up pie pumpkins at the local farms this year. When I called the orchard the lady said, "oh dear we have been out of those for three weeks." What ever was I going to do now? We shelve pumpkins and freeze pumpkin puree for the winter season: Pies and breads.

God provides.

When I was visiting my father for our weekly visit he asked me how I knew God existed. I said the small things He does are all I need.
During this visit, as a family, we went to our Nature Center out in the country for homeschooling that day. I donated and picked up some handcrafted Christmas decorations. Then I asked the lady where I could get some pie pumpkins in this area, and she said help yourself and we could take what was left in the fields - whatever was left would be tossed in the woods for animals.

What a blessing from the Lord.

Pumpkin Puree
Cut and clean out pumpkins seeds and strings- keep seeds.
Cut into medium pieces to boil for about a hour on low - peel skin when soft.
Or
Cut in halves and place side down on parchment paper lay on cookie sheet and bake for an hour at 350 degrees - scoop out when soft
Spice puree and freeze, or use as instructed in recipes

Our first pie turned out pretty good this year for Thanksgiving, along with my husband's homemade recipe (from scratch) peanut butter cookies with chocolate kisses.

Does anyone have a recipe for pumpkin soup they have tried out?

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
Was a little late picking up pie pumpkins at the local farms this year. When I called the orchard the lady said, "oh dear we have been out of those for three weeks." What ever was I going to do now? We shelve pumpkins and freeze pumpkin puree for the winter season: Pies and breads.

God provides.

When I was visiting my father for our weekly visit he asked me how I knew God existed. I said the small things He does are all I need.

I've noticed this with thrift shopping: often I'll be looking around for something specific, and the exact thing will show up (with some patience). I used dumpster dive more, and the same thing would happen, too.

I bought some pies from my work for our Thanksgiving visits (I didn't have much time to make anything); last night they were throwing out pies so now I have one for Christmas, too lol.

I'm also restocking our freezer with leftover chicken from the end of the night, which is nice to have on hand.

messaggera

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
Ghirardelli Chocolate Cake

Pretty easy and the recipe is on back of package, but tastes just like my grandfather's chocolate cake he would make for birthday this time of year.

2 cupsSugar
1 3/4 cupsAll-purpose flour
3/4 cupGhirardelli 100% Cocoa Dutch Process
1 1/2 teaspoonsBaking powder
1 1/2 teaspoonsBaking soda
1 tspSalt
1 cupMilk
1 3/4 sticks (14 tablespoons)Butter, unsalted, softened
2Eggs
2 teaspoonsVanilla extract
3/4 cupBoiling water

1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease the bottoms of two 8 or 9-inch round cake pans, and line with parchment paper. In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients Granulated Sugar, All Purpose Flour, Cocoa Powder, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, and Salt. Add Milk and Butter; beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add the Eggs and Vanilla Extract. Mix until incorporated. Stir in boiling water.
  2. Divide the batter evenly between two prepared pans. Bake for 30-45 minutes, or until the tester comes out clean when inserted into the cake’s center.
  3. Cool on a wire rack for 10-15 minutes. Remove cakes from pans, discard the parchment paper, and transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Here is a simple vanilla frosting.
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 1/4 cup whole milk, at room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
In a medium bowl, using an electric hand mixer, beat the butter until light and smooth. Beat in the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth and creamy.

rosyclouds

Chicken
Woman
Catholic
I just made a chocolate roll cake today from Joanna Gaines cookbook, Magnolia Table. Really good, will be making again!

cake ingredients:
4 large eggs, separated
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp cold water
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 8 oz container whipped dessert topping

1. preheat oven to 325F. line the bottom and sides of a 10 x 15 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper
2. beat egg whites until stiff. beating constantly gradually add 1/2 sugar and continue beating until the whites hold a stiff peak.
3. in a separate bowl, with a whisk beat the egg yolks with the remaining 1/2 cup sugar, the cold water and the vanilla. fold the egg whites and gently stir to combine. do not over mix.
4. sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt on top of the egg mixture and gently fold until blended. scrape the batter into the pan and spread to edges.
5. bake until the cake is puffy on top and center is firm, 18 - 22 minutes. let cool in the pan for 2 minutes.
6. dust a clean kitchen towel with the powdered sugar. unmold the chocolate roll onto the towel with the parchment paper still attached. starting at one end, carefully roll the cake while pulling off the parchment paper. you can use a knife to help separate it.
7. when the cake is rolled all the way up and the paper is removed, unroll the cake again. spread the dessert topping all over the surface of the cake and roll it up again.
8. cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours
9. serve topped with hot fudge sauce and whipped cream

hot fudge sauce ingredients:
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 tbsp salted butter
2 tbsp light corn syrup
pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup chocolate chips

1. in a saucepan, combine the sugar, evaporated milk, butter and corn syrup and salt and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until the sugar has melted. add the chocolate chips and stir until melted. remove from the heat and use at once or set aside until needed (can be stored in the fridge for up to a week)
2. gently reheat in a saucepan if necessary. serve warm.