Recommended protein bar, powder etc.?

Guriko

Woodpecker
Gold Member
Do you guys have a preferred protein brand?

As I’ve started working full time I’m still trying to lift regularly and meal prep dutifully but sometimes life gets in the way.

I don’t like buying products found in most stores because they seem to be loaded with unnecessary additives.

I’m looking for something I could use as an emergency meal made by a smaller company with higher quality ingredients. The more I look on the internet the more suggestions I get because this is a big industry which is why I’ve decided to ask you guys if you’ve got any advice for me, based on experience.

Cheers and have a lovely day. :)

I'm interested too, especially non-sugar protein powders. I ordered 'Biochem, 100% Whey Protein, Sugar Free, Chocolate, 12.5 oz (355 g)' on iherb the other day, it is ok, but I want to try more non-sugar powders.

semilla

Pigeon
I usually keep a large bag of the Optimum Nutrition whey protein and an Orgain Organic protein jug. I use a serving of each in my protein shakes.

Both are mainstream and found at Costco. The Orgain seems to have a solid ingredients list, wish I could say the same for the bag of whey.

Syntax Matrix is the only low-sugar protein powder I have tasted that was not disgusting, and I've tried quite a few. I like chocolate the best, although vanilla is the only bad one.

Before finding Matrix, my favorite was True Nutrition. The taste was a bit above average, the protein powder is super customizable (you choose your ingredients and flavoring), and although I'm not sure if it's changed hands since the beginning, the founder was a good dude.

Edit: for protein bars, I like Quest. Unlike many brands, Quest uses whey instead of soy. I think the bars have 15 grams of fiber, so eating more than one a day gets pretty risky. They taste alright if you heat them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds. Only downside is the price is ludicrous, like two bucks a bar.

SLV

I stopped taking powdered supplements a couple of years ago, as my stomach was starting to feel seriously messed up and has been a lot better since not taking any.
A few of my friends who are around my age (early 30's) who have been taking all manner of supplements, protein, creatine and the rest for years, have ended up with seriously messed up guts, including a couple who have needed hospital treatment for stomach problems. I strongly suspect all the rubbish they've digested for around 15 years (since these supplements were heavily advertised to young men) has probably caused it.

Zenta

Woodpecker
Gold Member
I stopped taking powdered supplements a couple of years ago, as my stomach was starting to feel seriously messed up and has been a lot better since not taking any.
A few of my friends who are around my age (early 30's) who have been taking all manner of supplements, protein, creatine and the rest for years, have ended up with seriously messed up guts, including a couple who have needed hospital treatment for stomach problems. I strongly suspect all the rubbish they've digested for around 15 years (since these supplements were heavily advertised to young men) has probably caused it.
Thats why I take the one I posted above. About the only one I've found that doesn't cause me stomach pain. Also all the flavored ones usually give me migraines from the sweeteners. It tastes like shit yeah but I blend it with no sugar peanut butter and olive oil and chug down a 1000 calorie shake every morning and I sure as heck don't drink it for the taste because its not good.

semilla

Pigeon
That’s not good. What kind of stomach problems did you experience? Your friends?
It’s worth remembering that the supplements of 15 years ago probably were questionable while the industry was beginning.

I'm interested too, especially non-sugar protein powders. I ordered 'Biochem, 100% Whey Protein, Sugar Free, Chocolate, 12.5 oz (355 g)' on iherb the other day, it is ok, but I want to try more non-sugar powders.
The one I came across is plant based with chocolate. Light, easy to digest, clean as per the seller. His favourite quotes, "If you don't know, now you know." "One life baby." Hahah #nohomo

I'll try it because the word quality was repeated thrice.

Well I have got to start somewhere anyhow.

"Super Green." Hahah.

Question, are carbohydrates equivalent to life?

mjbravo

Still mainstream, but Premier Protein's 30g Chocolate shake is the easiest protein supplement I've ever ingested. It's only 1g of sugar.

I use a low sugar vanilla Pure Protein Whey when I make the shakes myself. One of the only ones I can tolerate. Just be careful with Whey Protein Isolate if you already are up against it with any possible androgenic hair loss potential. It is pretty anabolic overall, and could contribute to more loss.

Only bar I ever tolerated was Cliff.....which isn't an option because they're loaded with sugar.

Atlas

Robin
Do you guys have a preferred protein brand?

As I’ve started working full time I’m still trying to lift regularly and meal prep dutifully but sometimes life gets in the way.

I don’t like buying products found in most stores because they seem to be loaded with unnecessary additives.

I’m looking for something I could use as an emergency meal made by a smaller company with higher quality ingredients. The more I look on the internet the more suggestions I get because this is a big industry which is why I’ve decided to ask you guys if you’ve got any advice for me, based on experience.

Cheers and have a lovely day. :)
Allmax has been my go-to Protein brand for years now. Their Isoflex Protein Powder is the best you'll get for its purity and EAA/BCAA profile. Never had any stomach problems when using any Whey Isolate, however Isoflex in particular is very light on the stomach, especially when mixed with water.

I would say go online and find a good recipe for a tasty but also healthy protein bar that you can make for yourself. You would save money and get to play mad scientist, if you experimented a bit.

My ex roomie was a diabetic, and he went to town doing this project. But in his case, nothing was very palatable! Lol

Mycelium

Robin
Gold Member
Protein is nothing but a bunch of amino acids, let's establish that first because a lot of people chase "protein" unknowingly when it's really in almost everything we eat.

I'd recommend Larabars. They're simple, wholesome, and delicious. Prime ingredient is Dates, Cashews, and Sea Salt.

Elmore

Kingfisher
Why not just stock up on tinned fish?

Sardines, mackrell, tuna (latter in small amounts due to Mercury)

I eat a tin of mackerel by itself with a bit of salt/pepper, squeeze of lemon & drop of olive oil, every morning, then a bowl of porridge with water & salt.

As a pre-workout, for cost, ease, taste & health i dont think it can be beaten.

I snack on the same (sans porridge) at various times throughout day to keep my protein levels up.

Used to take Protein shakes daily, now i just see them as utterly inferior to real food.

If you want a slow release protein for night, or later in the day have cottage cheese with some boiled eggs & spinach. I put a bit of pesto and olive oil with the seasoning, cos it's not exactly a taste sensation otherwise, but again with the cost-health-ease metric, its an absolute winner.

I kinda get if you're super rushed eating a protein bar / shake at the gym if they sell them, but having them at home just makes you lazy & is inferior for your health IMHO.