Red Pill Movies

66Scorpio

Woodpecker
Personally, I find Brad Pitt quite watchable when he is portraying some quirky character after his pretty boy years. In 12 Monkeys, True Romance, Snatch, Fight Club, Burn After Reading, Mr. & Mrs. Smith and Inglourious Basterds he fits that mold. More serious roles tend to be hit or miss in that they can get sappy/soppy.

66Scorpio

Woodpecker
questor70 said:
Buddydowrongright2 said:
Just watched They Live.
Not to rain on people's parade but They Live was originally meant to be a critique of the Reagan era of consumerism and trickle-down economics. In other words, it's a conspiracy theory from a decidedly left-leaning foundation critical of right-wing thinking. I was one of the few who saw it when it came out and the subtext was as clear as a bell at the time. If people want to treat it more abstractly and apply it elsewhere, fine, but that wasn't the original intent. So to see it so popular with the alt-right seems really strange to me.

More on the phenomenon of it being coopted here.
In a totally unrelated discussion I noticed basically the same thing about Supertramp's School. I was thinking that the lyrics seem applicable to today's conservative students, but a mid-'70s British progressive rock band was probably approaching it from the left.

Syberpunk

Pelican
Gold Member
66Scorpio said:
Personally, I find Brad Pitt quite watchable when he is portraying some quirky character after his pretty boy years. In 12 Monkeys, True Romance, Snatch, Fight Club, Burn After Reading, Mr. & Mrs. Smith and Inglourious Basterds he fits that mold. More serious roles tend to be hit or miss in that they can get sappy/soppy.

His delivery of "You are one of the morons I've been fighting my whole life. MY WHOLE FUCKING LIFE", so funny.

Tail Gunner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
66Scorpio said:
Even more so with Johnny Depp.

Hypno

Hummingbird
Oberrheiner said:
IIRC they were not (yet) trans-something when they made the first matrix movie.
That's also AFAIK the only good movie they ever made.
They also did V is for Vendetta, but they merely adapted the book to screen; the graphic novel had already been written. They did an OK job. The story is a very good one, the film is OK.

Hypno

Hummingbird
Tail Gunner said:
66Scorpio said:
Even more so with Johnny Depp.
Johnny Depp is the opposite for me. He's good in Donnie Brasco and Blow, but I'm not fan of the wierd characters like Willie Wonka or Edward Scissorhands.

Kona

Crow
Gold Member
I implore all of you to watch Tough Guy the Bob Probert Story:

Bob Probert was an animal.

It's on Amazon.

Aloha!

SlickyBoy

Ostrich
New favorite - Danger Close.

1966, Vietnam - no, it isn't another typical Vietnam war movie showcasing the American military, this is the story of the Australian and New Zealand force fighting the North Vietnamese and Viet Cong at the battle of Lon Tran, one where a hundred or so men went up against approximately 2000 and won - though with substantial casualties. The average age of the AUS/NZ fighters was about 20 years old; no soy on the menu whatsoever.

I knew that the Aussies and New Zealanders supported the Americans in Vietnam (along with the South Koreans and Philippine forces), but aside from the 1979 movie "Odd Angry Shot" I'd never seen a movie about it. Danger Close came out last year and though it wasn't a huge budget, it still pulled off the tale with very adequate props, language, acting and overall storyline, all staying as close as possible to true events.

A very male, very western and nearly forgotten story. Highly recommended.

Dallas Winston

Ostrich
Gold Member
SlickyBoy said:
New favorite - Danger Close.

1966, Vietnam - no, it isn't another typical Vietnam war movie showcasing the American military, this is the story of the Australian and New Zealand force fighting...

A very male, very western and nearly forgotten story. Highly recommended.
And the lead is Travis Fimmel who did a good job as Ragnar Lothbrok in Vikings. A solid TV series on Prime.

griffinmill

Kingfisher
Tarantino is an incredibly puerile filmmaker. One of the ways I know this is how much I loved Pulp Fiction when it was first released versus now. I don't think there's ever been any other film I was obsessed with in my youth and didn't carry that love into adulthood. Lingering on Hitler's face being reduced to pulp in Inglorious Basterds is infantile moralising he has now made his stock and trade. He's self-indulgent too.

But, saying all that, his films are very entertaining, and so what more could you ask for when you've paid ten bucks.

Syberpunk

Pelican
Gold Member

Kurt Russell and his wife breakdown in the boonies and go looking for help....

I will say no more, extremely underrated film from the 90's that I was not aware of until recently.
The full film is above, not speeded up or interfered with.

Vanishing point 1971 is a good one too.

Muffuguh

Pigeon
Hey, repulsive piece of shit QT did make some catchy movies in his day. However a generation of people mistake his bullshit with reality and think they know something about Sicilian genealogy thanks to this scene, which is simply incorrect. Never understood why people take Hollywood scripts as accurate.

PapayaTapper said:
TG brought up Brad Pitts bit role TRUE ROMANCE while Dennis Hopper and Quentin Tarantino have been mentioned separately

No mention of that movie, (written by Tarantino but directed by Tony Scott) can go by without calling attention to the "Sicilian" scene. The scene with Dennis Hopper and Christopher Walken both brilliant is IMO the best stand alone scene ever filmed.

Hoppers character stuck between a rock and a hard place chooses "suicide by insult" rather than giving up his son

The entire movie is brilliant. That scene is phenomenal

Syberpunk

Pelican
Gold Member
I don't if it can qualify as red pill, but The Matador flew under the radar, and disappeared quickly, yet its one of the best films of the 00's imo. Fantastic, laid back, (barely black) comedy with Pierce Brosnan playing a hitman who meets an average suit in Mexico. I was thinking about for ages afterwards and I rewatched recently and it was even better than I remembered.

(And there was zero reason to recast Bond you realise, when you watch this film)

Full Film, below:

SlickyBoy

Ostrich
Syberpunk said:
Vanishing point 1971 is a good one too.
Extremely good film, which like so many others was made with small budgets and no pretenses.

Come to think of it, there was an unintentional remake in the news recently.

Tail Gunner

Hummingbird
Gold Member
I watched a mind-blowing film last night. I do not want to give too much away, not even the genre. It is one of those films that you should watch without knowing too much about it, because it is so interesting and surprising. I did feel like I needed to shower after watching the film, if that tells you anything. The trailer does a great job of not giving too much away. Highly recommended.

Batman_

Woodpecker
Salinger said:
Batman_ said:
If it hasn't already been mentioned, I'd say Jackie Brown, pretty much all the main characters.
I thought that movie was a complete bore. One of his worst.
I can see why you'd say that. I find Resevoir Dogs painfully boring myself. Jackie Brown wasn't amazing but it had some entertaining parts, especially when De Niro's character kills that blonde bitch for nagging at him, fucking hilarious especially Sam Jacksons nonchalant reaction.

Batman_

Woodpecker
Syberpunk said:
I don't if it can qualify as red pill, but The Matador flew under the radar, and disappeared quickly, yet its one of the best films of the 00's imo. Fantastic, laid back, (barely black) comedy with Pierce Brosnan playing a hitman who meets an average suit in Mexico. I was thinking about for ages afterwards and I rewatched recently and it was even better than I remembered.

(And there was zero reason to recast Bond you realise, when you watch this film)

Full Film, below:

Yea that was a highly underrated film, been meaning to watch that again.