Religious Art

Shwhite

Sparrow
Woman
What's your favorite piece of art depicting Jesus Christ? Or multiple, if you have more than one. I've been trying to find just the right picture, but I haven't found the one yet.

FiatVoluntasTua

Robin
Trad Catholic
What a question
I‘d say one of the more recent depictions that really struck me due to its graphic nature is „Der rote Christus“ by Lovis Corinth.
A valid, alas mainstream, answer of a statue would be the Pieta by Michelangelo. This one is remarkable, too, due to the Holy Virgin‘s expression.
A remarkable altar piece would be the „Isenheimer Altar“. Well worth visiting, if you are in France.
These are the three things that come to mind. I have seen so many, but somehow these are the most memorable.

IconWriter

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Art or icons? My favorite is the one of Christ, "The Icon Not Made with Hands". You can search the internet for its history. Part of the very old iconographer's prayer: "...and Who for having imprinted the Sacred Image of Thine All-pure face on the Holy Veil, and having healed the illness of King Abgar of Edessa, thereby brought about the enlightement of his soul unto the fullness of the knowlege of our true God:...enlighten and bring wisdom to the soul, heart and mind of thy servant..."

Attachments

• IMG_8970.jpeg
    IMG_8970.jpeg
    11.7 KB · Views: 10

drover13

Chicken
Woman
Orthodox
These are some of my favourites

Attachments

• 99855015-2073-4531-959B-296F18803888.jpeg
    99855015-2073-4531-959B-296F18803888.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 12
  • E99CB03D-E050-485C-B044-FFCC4901F084.jpeg
    E99CB03D-E050-485C-B044-FFCC4901F084.jpeg
    360.6 KB · Views: 10
  • ACC86708-E1E6-424A-99AF-2E8FA499680E.jpeg
    ACC86708-E1E6-424A-99AF-2E8FA499680E.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 2A783432-CDAF-4054-87AB-B35B268AA8DF.jpeg
    2A783432-CDAF-4054-87AB-B35B268AA8DF.jpeg
    286.4 KB · Views: 12
  • C1193577-374C-4B2E-830F-0217C01C3186.jpeg
    C1193577-374C-4B2E-830F-0217C01C3186.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 13

IconWriter

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
Art or icons? My favorite is the one of Christ, "The Icon Not Made with Hands". You can search the internet for its history. Part of the very old iconographer's prayer: "...and Who for having imprinted the Sacred Image of Thine All-pure face on the Holy Veil, and having healed the illness of King Abgar of Edessa, thereby brought about the enlightement of his soul unto the fullness of the knowlege of our true God:...enlighten and bring wisdom to the soul, heart and mind of thy servant..."
Oops. I'm not sure if I was allowed to attach this photo. I'm still new and learning what I can and cannot do here. I'd delete it if I knew how.

Aboulia

Woodpecker
Orthodox
Oops. I'm not sure if I was allowed to attach this photo. I'm still new and learning what I can and cannot do here. I'd delete it if I knew how.

Why wouldn't you be? Icons are art of course. They may not be to some people's tastes, but they are wonderful nonetheless. For a direct answer to the OP, the Sinai Pantocrator is my favourite image of Christ, but it's well known so I won't bother, but I'd like to show one of my favourite icons (Parable of the Good Samaritan)

Good Samaritan.jpg

There's so much in it.
1) The role of Christ is flipped from it's typical portrayal of this icon in which Christ ministers, this one reminds of Christ's words, "as you have done it to the least, you have done it to me"
2) The Samaritan/Christ are at the center of the image, as the center is representing the proper action for the situation, the Levite is bodily walking away, but is looking with his head uncovered, perhaps he's saying a prayer, so he's a much closer than the priest, who is totally ignoring the man's plight, walking away, head covered, and partially behind the mountain
3) Light is also used to illustrate this, as the center of the image is illumined, and it becomes darker as it approaches the edges.

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
What's your favorite piece of art depicting Jesus Christ? Or multiple, if you have more than one. I've been trying to find just the right picture, but I haven't found the one yet.

Attachments

• 16276055009372016582544.jpg
    16276055009372016582544.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 8

christie2

Robin
Woman
Orthodox
I walked by my new Church and my new friend who was planting outside gave me this, my first icon when I told her I didn't have any yet.
I am so humbled and comforted.

I told her this.

She gave me my new priest's phone number to call him to ask what I should read first in my Orthodox Study Bible that I'm picking up right now.

Starlight

Kingfisher
Woman
Protestant
Not my “favorite” portrayal of Jesus but one that conveys His bodily humanity post-Resurrection very well. So many art pieces are of Jesus pre-cruxifiction or dead, but not so many of the time between Resurrection and Ascension.
1641006917212.jpeg
(by Caravaggio)

messaggera

Kingfisher
Woman
Catholic
Alexandr Tsypkov (@alexandrtsypkov) combines graffiti with iconography

Thank you for sharing.

There use to be many cities with old buildings with outside murals depicting culture (not so much religion, unless part of culture). Try to avoid cities these days.

Remember seeing in the United States, Central America, and Ireland. Even just local graffitists would come out to create for the community.

It would be nice to see iconography as murals in the cities. How beautiful. Cities use to commission local artists to create murals - not sure with living in the plandemic era if possible.

Ah_Tibor

Kingfisher
Woman
Orthodox
I've always been partial to Duccio

and Photios Kontoglou (he was extremely influential, if not the most, in reviving Byzantine art in the 20th century, yes that's his wife and child in my avatar)

paternos

Sparrow
Catholic
The Storm on the Sea of Galilee by Rembrandt is my favourite.

The facial expression I love, the fear of the people on the boat: "help us Jesus!" and the calm and almost smiling look in the face of Jesus as if he is saying, relax.. God is with us, it is not you who decide on life and death, it is God.

It depicts for me, how I can be doubting, panicking, while the Son is calm in the storm.

When I'm worrisome it always turns a smile on my face. Relax. And keep doing the right thing.

Attached a zoom. Total painting here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Storm_on_the_Sea_of_Galilee

dezoomify-result.jpg