Removing Youtube from Android

Horus

Ostrich
Gold Member
I decided to take the move to get rid of Youtube. But I found that it's impossible to remove the app from my phone. When I tried to sign out from my account, there isn't even the option to sign out. At the very least I'd like to sign out. I'm probably just stupid and there is an easy fix, but it seems strange that there's not an easy option to disable or sign out. What are the options other than ditching my device?

kel

Ostrich
Nothing, (unrooted) Android is fundamentally a Googlephone. Personally, I just use a junk account on my phone. I also don't really use apps, though, even the ones that are there and mostly use the browser if at all. Not everyone is willing to do this, but it's the closest you'll get to having a phone and having some privacy. But, brass tacks, if you want to check your email with an app that means your activity on most of the phone will be attached to that email identity.

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
If you are concerned about your privacy you can't use a Google phone. If you have to use Android, switch to using a privacy browser and use web interfaces instead of apps when available. The level of possible snooping is much less via the browser. So just use YouTube or Invidious in the browser.

Ideally you want to dump Android. As a pre-setup device you can get /e/. There is a thread for this. I don't know what the overall privacy credentials for it are. Otherwise get a Pixel phone and install GrapheneOS or CalyxOS. See the opsec thread.

Clayx allows you to install Play apps, though around half don't work. You can only install free and open source apps on Graphene.

I would go with Graphene. You don't really need apps. I used to use several apps - I now just use the web version. Even Uber has a web interface. For a few that don't have a web version, I run in a virtual machine.

Dumping Android was the best felling of all, when extracting myself from their tentacles.

BoiBoi

Pelican
I have been using a Pixel 4a with Graphene for some months now (shoutout @Coja Petrus Uscan) and it works great. You have access to a superior Youtube App on this OS. It's called NewPipe and does everything the original app does but better. That said, you'll still fuel the beast with your data.

Joe316

Robin
What are the options other than ditching my device?

APKs which are preinstalled can't be uninstalled. However they can be disabled, either through the native Settings UI ("Apps & Notifications", "See all apps", "Disable") on vanilla "Android with Google" or through USB debugging:
Code:
adb pm disable-user com.google.android.youtube

The most likely case of not being able to do something is your phone manufacturer screwing your Android build up. This is especially true for Samsung phones, which don't even allow you to switch to the SD card as main storage.

Blade Runner

Pelican
Do we have a degoogled android phone thread? I had heard that the /e/OS just began releasing phones in the US and Canada, including samsung phones. Has anyone tried these or are they transitioning? Is maybe the best future practice to use two phones, that is, allow some "tracking" on the old one but travel with the non google-ized phone?

Coja Petrus Uscan

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Do we have a degoogled android phone thread? I had heard that the /e/OS just began releasing phones in the US and Canada, including samsung phones. Has anyone tried these or are they transitioning? Is maybe the best future practice to use two phones, that is, allow some "tracking" on the old one but travel with the non google-ized phone?

OpSec thread from about here - https://www.rooshvforum.com/threads/opsec-lounge-security-privacy-etc.37298/page-3#post-1344737