Report from Mexico....

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
For anyone interested, just got back from Mexico and other than a few stray idiots none of the tourists cared about coofid crap. Which would make sense because if you're some terrified idiot you're probably staying home right? But in the same breath I've been out and had to listen to someone lecture me about coofid hysteria but then they are at a packed place in public, which when you point that out is hilarious watching their brains malfunction.

Mostly only the blacks were masked up, I've noticed that here in the USA as well but that's a whole other topic. It was actually the locals wearing masks more than anyone but I believe they are required to do so, I know the employees are at least and they are pretty strict with them about it.......all for show for the tourists of course.

I stayed at a mega resort for a couple days for a birthday and high tailed it out of there as fast as I could to PDC after that, I hate the mega resorts the food is terrible, I'm not an alcoholic I don't care that drinks are free and there is nothing to do but the pool, no thanks.....but anyway.

My real piece of knowledge comes in regards to the return testing requirement. I gave the nurse at the resort a tip before she did the "test" and half heartedly joked with her that I didn't want the thing in my nose. I say half because I actually meant it and wanted to get her reaction, I don't want that crap in my body. She giggled and said she guaranteed me a negative test and don't worry about anything she wouldn't mess with my "pretty nose".....I definitely don't have a pretty nose haha! She barely touched the end of my nostril for half a tick then few hours later I had my negative test.

Also I never actually had to show anyone my positive test! Nobody at the airport cared on either side, a few friends I was with had to submit it to United Airlines but for myself on Delta......nothing.

Just some info for anyone possibly curious, anything else anyone wants to know I'll be happy to answer best I can.

Edit: Another thing I should point out, the resorts are using coofid as an excuse to cut back on everything and blatantly save costs with no shame. Keep that in mind if you plan to visit, that special resort you paid extra for may not have half the amenities open that they listed and they are sure not going to warn you in advance they just use the coofid excuse when you get there. At the dumb mega resort I stayed at half the restaurants were closed, the swim up bar was closed, the gym was closed, the smaller pools were closed and they weren't doing shows at night. Mind you I don't care for half that crap anyway I don't go to places to be stuck at the resort eating mass produced nasty food and listen to a mexican guy cover American songs but I know others have different tastes or some may be traveling with children or older people.

Last edited:

Caduceus

Pelican
Also I never actually had to show anyone my positive test! Nobody at the airport cared on either side, a few friends I was with had to submit it to United Airlines but for myself on Delta......nothing.
Surprised no one asked for your test result when coming back.
Were you flying on a direct flight (with no stops) from Mexico to the USA when you left ?

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Surprised no one asked for your test result when coming back.
Were you flying on a direct flight (with no stops) from Mexico to the USA when you left ?

I was surprised myself, kept waiting for it and it never happened. I flew direct no stops.....nobody said a word.

Edit: I did go in may and I was asked for it but not this time, halfway filled out some short form at the airport on scrap paper and that was it. In May they also asked to fill out probably half a dozen forms which I kept waving off when they asked as "I did it on the delta" app and they just kept waving me through, this time just the one and like I said and nobody ever asked for the negative test at all.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. I'm actually pursuing second residency in MX and have a consulate appointment in a few weeks. I've been worried about the flight/restrictions since I plan to visit once to finalize my status and get my residency card, but then I'll be flying back to get some things in order.

Who knows if I'll be able to fly back in later though...hopefully I'll be able to get through the land border no problem if these governments enact more arbitrary mandates (funny how they let 'em into the US no problem / no testing but for a gringo to get into MX it's a hassle).

How much was the tip and do you speak Spanish?

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Thanks for the report. I'm actually pursuing second residency in MX and have a consulate appointment in a few weeks. I've been worried about the flight/restrictions since I plan to visit once to finalize my status and get my residency card, but then I'll be flying back to get some things in order.

Who knows if I'll be able to fly back in later though...hopefully I'll be able to get through the land border no problem if these governments enact more arbitrary mandates (funny how they let 'em into the US no problem / no testing but for a gringo to get into MX it's a hassle).

How much was the tip and do you speak Spanish?

My pleasure, i wish you luck with the residency that sounds like a great thing right now!

My spanish is very limited, took it two years in high school and forgot most of it! I tipped her 200 pesos which is about 10 bucks, honestly I think the flirting was more useful than the tip both the nurses there were giggling with me. It was at the mega resort so I'm sure they are used to geriatric cheapos and couples who are offended they don't speak better english for them and treat them like the help.

Aizen

Kingfisher
Orthodox
Any cartel encounters? Curious about the tourist-cartel relationship / dynamic. As you know, they run the country, the govt is practically powerless

rainy

Kingfisher
I was surprised myself, kept waiting for it and it never happened. I flew direct no stops.....nobody said a word.

Edit: I did go in may and I was asked for it but not this time, halfway filled out some short form at the airport on scrap paper and that was it. In May they also asked to fill out probably half a dozen forms which I kept waving off when they asked as "I did it on the delta" app and they just kept waving me through, this time just the one and like I said and nobody ever asked for the negative test at all.
A few weeks ago my wife flew from EE into the US. No one along all three checkpoints asked for COVID test results.

Easy_C

Peacock
Does anyone down there have recommendations for which city to visit? I have family who want to go check Mexico out and they don't know which towns are the best bets in terms of COVID stupidity.

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member
Does anyone down there have recommendations for which city to visit? I have family who want to go check Mexico out and they don't know which towns are the best bets in terms of COVID stupidity.

From my experience this past trip nobody cared about covid crap, just the workers were forced to wear masks. But in regards to where to go that’s kinda the issue with mexico right now, there is no more sleepy quaint beach town they have all become tourist traps.

SeekingTruth

Kingfisher
Check out Sayulita or other small beach towns in Nayarit. I was there 1.5 years ago and left just when Covid hit because we stupidly thought the US was closing it’s borders. Looking back, I wish I got trapped there.

Also, Jeff Berwick of Dollar Vigilante was just in Mazatlan. No masks in the club he went to.

Solitarius

Sparrow
I'd like to ask those who go to Mexico: How can you stand having to go about defenceless? I know it's categorically forbidden for anyone not in the govt. or a cartel to possess arms there. I suppose one could try bribing the local comandante to overlook your being armed, but he could well decide it would be more profitable to arrest you after all so that he could demand a large ransom from your family to release you. I suppose it wouldn't make a very great difference anyhow; if the natives were to ever be provoked somehow to go on the war-path against the whites in their country, you'd all finish up like the ill-fated soldiers who fell at the hands of the Zulus at Isandlwana in 1879. Still it seems it would be rather disconcerting to know that you could be chopped up at any moment & would be completely unable to do anything about it.

NoMoreTO

Hummingbird
I'd like to ask those who go to Mexico: How can you stand having to go about defenceless? I know it's categorically forbidden for anyone not in the govt. or a cartel to possess arms there. I suppose one could try bribing the local comandante to overlook your being armed, but he could well decide it would be more profitable to arrest you after all so that he could demand a large ransom from your family to release you. I suppose it wouldn't make a very great difference anyhow; if the natives were to ever be provoked somehow to go on the war-path against the whites in their country, you'd all finish up like the ill-fated soldiers who fell at the hands of the Zulus at Isandlwana in 1879. Still it seems it would be rather disconcerting to know that you could be chopped up at any moment & would be completely unable to do anything about it.

I don't go to Mexico, but have spent some time in Colombia.

But if you are a minority, there is always a risk/fear that the natives will suddenly genocide you. To me it's more of an outside shot kind of thing.

With respect to carrying a sidearm, well, its a very American idea that you having an arm actually protects you. It's simply not true that a single man can hold up on his own, in his house, on his land when the genocidal maniacs or cartel, police force comes for you. I'm all for arms, but perspective is important.

I'd guess the people in Mexico think the juice is worth the squeeze. That the locals are good people, the weather is nice, and they can stay out of the cartel and governments' way.

Last edited:

Solitarius

Sparrow
I don't go to Mexico, but have spent some time in Colombia.

But if you are a minority, there is always a risk/fear that the natives will suddenly genocide you. To me it's more of an outside shot kind of thing.

With respect to carrying a sidearm, well, its a very American idea that you having an arm actually protects you. It's simply not true that a single man can hold up on his own, in his house, on his land when the genocidal maniacs or cartel, police force comes for you. I'm all for arms, but perspective is important.

I'd guess the people in Mexico think the juice is worth the squeeze. That the locals are good people, the weather is nice, and they can stay out of the cartel and governments' way.
That's true, but it might give you the satisfaction of knocking a few of the b------s over before they kill you. Look up the Shangani Patrol in Rhodesia, if it comes to the worst that's the example to follow.

FrancisK

Kingfisher
Gold Member

What vacations are you going on where you’re concerned that you’re not allowed to carry a gun?