Reports from affected cities

MKE-Ed

Robin
I live in the heart of downtown Chicago. The north side and downtown near the river which are the wealthiest neighborhoods (River North, Gold Coast, Loop business district) were completely ransacked and destroyed overnight. Plenty of businesses were destroyed during the May riots and had to rebuild only to have massive rioting come back again overnight. Many smaller businesses already closed due to the lockdowns and now more won't recover from this destruction.

This city is out of control and simply unstable. The mayor and police have lost control and this is no longer a protest issue, but rather about skyrocketing violence and aggression coming from "youths" from the South and West sides to terrorize the rest of the city of Chicago. I have lived here for almost a decade and never have felt this level of tension just walking the streets and normies are starting to wake up as it is just impossible to ignore.

Here is a good Twitter account to follow for real updates:

Thanks for update. I use to live in the Lake View area of the city until the early 1990s when I moved away. I was last there back in February to visit friends and I noticed some of the areas north of the Lake View area are now starting to see cultural enrichment taking place. These were once solid stable areas that were still not too pricey. The city’s demographics are changing rapidly and this new demographic is bringing a lot of crime and issues with them. The city’s current mayor is a joke. I saw a press conference this morning and all she did was blame guns for the current problem. She never pointed out who the culprits are that looted last night and early this morning. I know a lot of Chicago residents that are planning to move out. The current situation is going to get much worse.

Monty_Brogan

Woodpecker
Gold Member

LOL. That's cute. Nothing will be done. I highly doubt you'll see police officers knocking on doors in Englewood to arrest any of the perpetrators. So nothing will come of this.

I was downtown early this am for work, but it got cancelled since the job site is north of the river. Someone on /pol commented that we've reached and or passed sarajevo and ira levels here.

I agree. A once-great American city done.

Foolsgo1d

Peacock
They have raised the bridges tonight? They cant get in but you cant get out. If you did anything to them you get mobbed and sent to the hospital/morgue or the state goes after you.

Sounds like Britain, but with less Greggs.

I was downtown early this am for work, but it got cancelled since the job site is north of the river. Someone on /pol commented that we've reached and or passed sarajevo and ira levels here.
Sorry for an off topic personal post, but I am headed through Chicago sometime soon.

Have 294 or 94 been blocked by protesters or anything like that? Do you have a recommendation for a late afternoon/evening pass through? I don't want to have to put any of the "Prepared for Civil Strife" tactics to use!

Jestx

Robin
Sorry for an off topic personal post, but I am headed through Chicago sometime soon.

Have 294 or 94 been blocked by protesters or anything like that? Do you have a recommendation for a late afternoon/evening pass through? I don't want to have to put any of the "Prepared for Civil Strife" tactics to use!

Don't think you will have much to worry about if you're going around the city on 294 / 94. Just don't go through the downtown area or Lake Shore Drive. I recall most of the protestors back in May blocked off LSD for a few marches.

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member

Is there any evidence what types of people, political speaking, are moving to Florida?

Mix bag? Right-leaning? Impossible to say?

As far as east coast(ish) is concern, I would imagine Nashville is getting a lot of attention as well since it's in the zero income tax world as well.
I've lived here 7-8 years. The city (Orlando) has gotten exponentially worse in my opinion.

I've lived here 7-8 years. The city (Orlando) has gotten exponentially worse in my opinion.

Do you (or anyone else) have any intel on the Jacksonville area?

It's the only major Florida city where the county went for Trump in 2016 (by a hair though). However, the surrounding counties are VERY pro-2016 Trump. One the surrounding counties for example (Clay County) is the one where the sheriff said he deputize all lawful gun owners if antifa/BLM and other scumbags showed up and acted like fools. Everyone should watch this video; we need more of this in America:

My understanding is that there is a decent jogger population present in parts of Jacksonville with some significant crime in certain sections of the city but outside of that it's pretty safe.

If anyone is familiar with with general region, please share your thoughts.

dicknixon72

Pelican
As a Floridian in West Central Florida, I will say I feel bad for anyone living in the Orlando MSA. Forget the politics of whoever runs the city, its a hellscape - endless sprawl, perpetual road construction, long meandering avenues of the exact same storefronts and chains. No thanks.

I don't know too much about Jacksonville/Duval County (the city itself encompasses the entire county, unique in Florida) but I do know a recent visit shows some darker areas of town as you would expect in a city that is more Southern than Floridian. Nearby St. Augustine and Poinciana are nice.

If you're looking for affordability within proximity to an urban area, might I suggest Polk County. Many nice smaller towns in the area (Cypress Gardens, Davenport, Winter Haven) where land is available yet within a quick hour drive to Orlando if you need to and the Tampa Bay area and the beaches. Lots of beautiful lakes and fishing, too.

Florida is very much a crap shoot. You have such an odd blend of so many East-of-the-Mississippi states that for the most part, this whole BLM horseshit hasn't reared its head here - people are simply too pre-occupied with the beach, boating, or cooking meth.

Some places in Florida may look charming on paper but will not be what you expect. For instance, just because its rural doesn't mean it has 'southern charm.' In fact, the further north you go in Florida, the further South you end up. A lot of rural Florida is just a bunch of redneck white trash that have the Stars and Bars on the back window of their Honda Pilot and whose favorite country song is Dirt Road Anthem and you know from that point on you're not engaging with a serious person.

Last edited:
If you're looking for affordability within proximity to an urban area, might I suggest Polk County. Many nice smaller towns in the area (Cypress Gardens, Davenport, Winter Haven) where land is available yet within a quick hour drive to Orlando if you need to and the Tampa Bay area and the beaches. Lots of beautiful lakes and fishing, too.

Florida is very much a crap shoot. You have such an odd blend of so many East-of-the-Mississippi states that for the most part, this whole BLM horseshit hasn't reared its head here - people are simply too pre-occupied with the beach, boating, or cooking meth.

Some places in Florida may look charming on paper but will not be what you expect. For instance, just because its rural doesn't mean it has 'southern charm.' In fact, the further north you go in Florida, the further South you end up. A lot of rural Florida is just a bunch of redneck white trash that have the Stars and Bars on the back window of their Honda Pilot and whose favorite country song is Dirt Road Anthem and you know from that point on you're not engaging with a serious person.
I second that, central Florida has THE weirdest vibe of anywhere I have been in the US. I have family that lives in Frostproof as a winter retirement home. The whole (small) town has a retiree vibe and is super quiet, one road type of place. Two restaurants, one continental the other a bar with cheap hot dogs.

Then you hear this...some guy with 200 arrests in ~10 years. Never would have thought it.

Brutal Triple Murder in Frostproof

Otherwise right above Lake Okeechobee has alot of the big Florida cattle rancher's presence. I spent a year there. My whole family was viewed a little sideways...until I showed up at the local church. Next thing you know folks were coming by to say hi and "we didn't know you were religious". It was kind of comical.

Also, if you can juggle you might be accepted in Gibson Town; home of the International Independent Showmen's Association. This was by far the farthest out place I ever visted. A farm connection supplied one of their elephants with hay. We got invited over one day and next thing we are visiting friends/partners in the circus. I remember playing some Final Fantasy VII with the most redneck set of brothers I've ever seen. 8 years old and they kept trying to shoot each other with airsoft guns while playing the game. It was all trailers on 2-3 acres of land with their showman equipment stored sporadically around sandy, marshy plots. Sandy roads wound through the community connecting everything.

Image result for gibson town florida

Finally we ended up at a literal circus guildhall and they gave us a tour of all the old school memorabilia and photos of notable members. I was pretty young and don't know how much of the town is circus centric, but tons of folk 'winter' there. It was one of the most surreal days of my life.

jordypip23

Ostrich
Gold Member

IMO the 294 toll road would be the far superior bypass option around Chicago even if it has a little traffic feeding into other highways like 80 to Indiana or whatever. It doesn't really go through the city at all unless you count O'Hare Airport which of course is an exception since O'Hare is virtually in the NW suburbs but has a Chicago address. Have that IPass or EZ-Pass transponder ready & get the heck outta the metro area swiftly hahah.

Don't they just have the baskets anymore? I don't have any kind of toll pass device? I figured 294 would probably be quickest, although I had luck in the past trying a straighter shot through Chi-town. I won't chance that this time.

Leonard D Neubache

Owl
Gold Member
Two weeks left and I’m going to be in middle of nowhere. It’s gonna be nice.

Shut up, man!

You're falling into the Retirony trap!

Last edited:

jordypip23

Ostrich
Gold Member
Don't they just have the baskets anymore? I don't have any kind of toll pass device? I figured 294 would probably be quickest, although I had luck in the past trying a straighter shot through Chi-town. I won't chance that this time.

There are manual lanes, yes. You'll be paying double the toll rate at those by the way. You pay a 50% discounted rate with a transponder. The IPass website will say you have to load $20 at a time to it, but you can actually manually load as low as $1 at a time via credit card if you desire. Despite not having a transponder, I think I'd still opt for the 294 route if I were you.

LeoniusD

Kingfisher

Again - so many black white supremacists are looting.

It's either black white supremacists looting or marxist white supremacists pulling down statues of the founding fathers and demolishing federal property - clearly white supremacy has gotten out of hands.

As the riots were caused by white supremacy, anyone who is against stopping the riots is of course a white supremacist. Ergo, Democrats are the real racists! You're welcome Dinesh D'Souza.