Reports from affected cities

budoslavic

Peacock
Gold Member
Seattle is going to implode. Mayor Durkan and her Seattle City Council buddies are still going ahead with their "defund police" agenda.

LeoniusD

Kingfisher

That's a good vid from New York City. He makes is clear why the rich and many others don't want to stay in NYC for now. It's not only the riots, it's also the covid lockdowns.

Because what made NYC worth living in for the cosmopolitan consumer - rich or poor regardless - are the clubs, restaurants, events, museums, theaters, musicals and parties they can attend. Since everything of that is banned including parties, then why should any high net worth individual stay? They rather entertain guests in the Hamptons while taking some bogus covid-quicktests that allow them to have parties with hundreds of people, they enjoy the beach, take a drive to a restaurant that is not closed down and has a loose mask policy as well has zero chance of a black-lives-matter protest harrassing them while they are having lunch.

NYC is in a bad spot right now with just the basic skeleton infrastructure being alive and people having to work and stay there out of necessity while all the good stuff is no longer there.

jordypip23

Ostrich
Gold Member

That's a good vid from New York City. He makes is clear why the rich and many others don't want to stay in NYC for now. It's not only the riots, it's also the covid lockdowns.

Because what made NYC worth living in for the cosmopolitan consumer - rich or poor regardless - are the clubs, restaurants, events, museums, theaters, musicals and parties they can attend. Since everything of that is banned including parties, then why should any high net worth individual stay? They rather entertain guests in the Hamptons while taking some bogus covid-quicktests that allow them to have parties with hundreds of people, they enjoy the beach, take a drive to a restaurant that is not closed down and has a loose mask policy as well has zero chance of a black-lives-matter protest harrassing them while they are having lunch.

NYC is in a bad spot right now with just the basic skeleton infrastructure being alive and people having to work and stay there out of necessity while all the good stuff is no longer there.

Most of them will flee to the leafier areas in the surrounding Tri-State area (still highly taxed, but at least the estates are much larger) as well as other areas on the eastern seaboard such as south Florida. What's the point of staying in the city if you can work remotely & the crumbling city is turning into the grimefest depicted in the 70's NYC set dystopian flick Taxi Driver featuring Robert De Niro (directed by Martin Scorsese).

If the city recovers somehow, enough rich folk / elite will buy the city right back. Not likely any time soon.

eradicator

Peacock
Gold Member

Yes this is a good nutshell assessment.
The big reason why high rent neighborhoods like the east village or soho demanded high rent in the first place was that they were surrounded by amazing live music scenes )dead indefinitely), restaurants (which are now back at 25%), museums (dead indefinitely), broadway(dead indefinitely) and tourist spots (most) are dead indefinitely, Central Park is open.

So why on earth would anyone who could afford a $4000/mo apartment in battery park/east villages/soho/etc stay if they could just go to their villa in the hamptons or Florida? They are mostly working remote on zoom anyways , the question is how many will return next year?

Easy_C

Crow
they aren't going to. I know some of these people. I've had one guy who is pretty high up there, think someone who his on a first name basis with people we regularly talk about in the politics forum, tell me he's already left to his home in a red state and is going to relocate permantly to South Carolina if Biden wins.

jordypip23

Ostrich
Gold Member
they aren't going to. I know some of these people. I've had one guy who is pretty high up there, think someone who his on a first name basis with people we regularly talk about in the politics forum, tell me he's already left to his home in a red state and is going to relocate permantly to South Carolina if Biden wins.

If NYC loses its financial workers, entertainment, fashion, etc. industries.....then NYC's main remaining relevance economically will be as a seaport & possibly the airports. I'm not sure what else...

jordypip23

Ostrich
Gold Member
The people from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Massachusetts are one of the main reasons why South Florida sucks.

The Gulf side of Florida and further north up the Atlantic are much better. More room to breathe, better drivers/less traffic, better people, lower prices for similar housing and entertainment.

The Gulf side of Florida (ie. Tampa, Sarasota, Fort Myers, Naples) I know for sure has much more transplants from the Midwestern states compared to the SE side of Florida (ie. Miami / Fort Lauderdale / Palm Beach) which has a lot more of your New Yorkers & Jewish folks in addition to the huge Miami hodge podge of Hispanics (esp. Cubans) & European expats. Unfortunately most of these cities in Florida (SE, West, North, etc.) all have sizable pockets of ghetto areas as well.

I'm near Manilla, in the Philippines. And there is basically zero tolerance here right now, for any kind of BLM or pandemic themed riots. The focus is on tightening down the bolts on the population to contain and end the coronavirus here. The president has said that anyone who protests anything right now, should be made target practice for the police and military. They don't fool around here.

There was a protest against China, awhile back, before the pandemic hit. Police brutality is a big problem here, so down the road, I could see protests/rioting over it.

eradicator

Peacock
Gold Member

I believe it and am starting to ask myself why I’m staying. My work has really skyrocketed during covid and in my case I’d be worried I cannot get nearly as much in another state

FullThrottleTX

Woodpecker
The people from New York, New Jersey, Connecticut and Massachusetts are one of the main reasons why South Florida sucks.

The Gulf side of Florida and further north up the Atlantic are much better. More room to breathe, better drivers/less traffic, better people, lower cost of living.

So you just want the Everglades, because without people from those Northeast states South Florida wouldn't exist. Florida has been a transplant state forever.

Last edited:

FullThrottleTX

Woodpecker
The Gulf side of Florida (ie. Tampa, Sarasota, Fort Myers, Naples) I know for sure has much more transplants from the Midwestern states compared to the SE side of Florida (ie. Miami / Fort Lauderdale / Palm Beach) which has a lot more of your New Yorkers & Jewish folks in addition to the huge Miami hodge podge of Hispanics (esp. Cubans) & European expats. Unfortunately most of these cities in Florida (SE, West, North, etc.) all have sizable pockets of ghetto areas as well.

It's true, I think that's changing a bit though because there are more economic opportunities in Tampa Bay, and it's becoming a larger pull for Northeast folks. Tampa in particular and Florida in general is a place where drug addicts go to turn things around for themselves, it's sort of that place, so you get some wild and craziness in the midst of it.

Despite all of this, there has been minimal rioting in all the Florida cities because it's a law and order state. This is in comparison to Texas where Dallas and Austin, in particular, have had some problems. Neither state has anywhere near the problems of Portland/Seattle/NYC though. Even St. Petersburg, Florida, where you've seen some protests, has been pretty mild. Even in comparison to Dallas where they destroyed the downtown.

South Florida and Miami in particular are a racket. There is no industry there but tourism and hospitality and whatever serves Latin American commerce. That's important to keep in mind. Most people don't have real 9-5 corporate jobs. A lot of people use drugs and are on a partying hamster wheel. They aren't thinking about politics lol. Pros and cons to that.

Last edited:
Massive construction projects are going on in the Gulf Area. I am from Sarasota county, there are massive developments going up to house the mass exodus of retirees from the north and west coast (these places are 400-600k starting). Sarasota county has recently passed an affordable housing mandate, which I highly doubt is for white people, so the areas days are numbered.

The last few times I have went back I have noticed sizable growth in the amount of condos and apartment dwellings from Manatee county thru Charlotte county. Even in pale white areas like Venice/Lakewood Ranch you can now see massive apartment complexes. Zoning shifts from single family homes to multi-family apartment areas are always a sign of demographic invasion.

Basically the area is currently being flooded with arrogant coastal boomers with faux wealth, and the mandate/apartments lead me to believe a seasoning of third world genetics is inbound. Sarasota County is also one of the last Republican strongholds in the state, so it will be attacked moving forward.

jordypip23

Ostrich
Gold Member
It's true, I think that's changing a bit though because there are more economic opportunities in Tampa Bay, and it's becoming a larger pull for Northeast folks. Tampa in particular and Florida in general is a place where drug addicts go to turn things around for themselves, it's sort of that place, so you get some wild and craziness in the midst of it.

Despite all of this, there has been minimal rioting in all the Florida cities because it's a law and order state. This is in comparison to Texas where Dallas and Austin, in particular, have had some problems. Neither state has anywhere near the problems of Portland/Seattle/NYC though. Even St. Petersburg, Florida, where you've seen some protests, has been pretty mild. Even in comparison to Dallas where they destroyed the downtown.

South Florida and Miami in particular are a racket. There is no industry there but tourism and hospitality and whatever serves Latin American commerce. That's important to keep in mind. Most people don't have real 9-5 corporate jobs. A lot of people use drugs and are on a partying hamster wheel. They aren't thinking about politics lol. Pros and cons to that.

Good points. I think Tampa & Orlando are large enough metro areas that they pull in a nearly even split of Midwesterners & East Coast folks possibly. Orlando also has a very large Puerto Rican population that fled NYC and/or Puerto Rico.

Easy_C

Crow
There’s some significant indications that Florida is either picked out to be or is positioning to be the new “safe haven” state for rich people. They’ve taken measures to crack down on rioting, have favorable tax laws, and are exempting themselves from Corona restrictions.