Reports from American cities

Garuda

Pelican
Protestant
The church shooting is now being investigated as a hate crime. The weird thing is that he was born in Taiwan.

Authorities have said Chou – a US citizen who worked for years as a security guard – was motivated by hatred of Taiwanese people documented in handwritten notes that authorities found. Spitzer said he is considering hate crime charges but needs more time to investigate.

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
The church shooting is now being investigated as a hate crime. The weird thing is that he was born in Taiwan.

Well, most murders are hate crimes unless they are just doing it for monetary reasons ('nothing personal, it is just business' murders) or if they are doing it for fun like some famous serial killers have done.

The government's playful term of 'hate crime' really annoys me.

Cynllo

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Well, most murders are hate crimes unless they are just doing it for monetary reasons...

From reading mainstream media I've noted a third category - murders that are committed by inanimate objects that seemingly control ostensibly innocent members of key Democratic constituencies.

There was a recent article in The Daily Beast that detailed how the far-right misused the instance when a car ploughed into a Christmas parade to agitate the recent 11 deaths shooting into existence. The article noted the man who happened to be in the car when it ploughed into the parade had reams of black supremacist content posted online. But the article warned that there was no evidence it was actually him who posted it. The same article says that this recent attack should be used as agitprop.

It_is_my_time

Crow
Protestant
While I am in this thread, does anyone else regularly watch the local TV news?

I am amazed at the number of shootings, not always a murder, but the number of shootings that occur daily. I believe in the last 24 hours alone there were 6 different shootings and this the middle of the week.

SiverFox

Robin
Other Christian
While I am in this thread, does anyone else regularly watch the local TV news?

I am amazed at the number of shootings, not always a murder, but the number of shootings that occur daily. I believe in the last 24 hours alone there were 6 different shootings and this the middle of the week.

That is only what they cover. There are so many black on black shootings, mostly gang related, everyday that it would take the entire 30 minute news broadcast. All "mass shootings".

Pointy Elbows

Kingfisher
Orthodox
I don't remember if this was covered on the forum and if so what it was covered under. This seems like a good place for it.

I have a game with a buddy: "Bad Business Models."

Mr. Huang's Kennels
Ahmed's Protective Services
Rodrigo's Pharmacy
LaQuisha's Etiquette and Dance School

Top-rated bad business model: Tyrone's Hospice Care

The one red line I asked my son for when I get old - don't put me in such a group home. If times are tight, just leave me in a single-wide down by the river, hopefully with some beautiful nature in sight, and come visit a few times a week. I'll be ok and can die in peace.

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
Third world demographic, third world behavior. our cities are third world regions with receding pockets of first world holdouts.
This is exactly what I mean when I say some migrants may decide that the USA is not exactly the land of milk and honey they imagine it to be from movies. I didn't visit Latin America, but I have been to The Philippines. While Manila is clearly awful in certain neighborhoods, the smaller cities are surprisingly calm and orderly (except for the constant noise of motorized rickshaws) and not as scary as certain US cities. I also didn't see masses of homeless bums outside Manila and people didn't try to rob or scam me. Maybe most Latin American nations (except for the most violent ones like Venezuela, Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, and Brazil) are similar in this way.

The fact this happened on a busy street in daylight really shows how bad things are. Imagine how much worse things will be with an extra 100-200 million of the poorest migrants from Africa, the Middle East, and Latin America driving down wages, increasing unemployment, increasing housing costs, and driving up crime rates. Things are bad, but could easily get a lot worse and make a few consider going back home.