Reports from American cities

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
I wonder if this will get as much attention from the media as the tragic death of George Floyd got. Will we hear stories about the people killed for a few months and outrage regarding the excessive violence in the city? The three dead are black. Why don't their lives matter as much as Mr. Floyd's? One of the men killed had a daughter which makes it even more tragic. The article below discusses the victims more:

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member
If you want to understand this culture of violence then I highly recommend reading “Black Rednecks and White Liberals”( BRWL)...Thomas Sowell

If youve ever read any of Sowells books are you know how impeccably researched his work is.

In BRWL the first 85 pages are a concise deconstruction of the history of modern ghetto culture. (With 238 references and citations ). Fascinating stuff.

If you’ve never read any of Sowells work you definitely should. He also has a ton of videos on YT.

We cant change this but I personally get a sense of frustration relief in understanding the “why”

Attachments

• BED94937-3398-444B-82E7-090445AE4777.jpeg
    BED94937-3398-444B-82E7-090445AE4777.jpeg
    26.2 KB · Views: 7

Sabonis73

Robin
Catholic
If you want to understand this culture of violence then I highly recommend reading “Black Rednecks and White Liberals”( BRWL)...Thomas Sowell

If youve ever read any of Sowells books are you know how impeccably researched his work is.

In BRWL the first 85 pages are a concise deconstruction of the history of modern ghetto culture. (With 238 references and citations ). Fascinating stuff.

If you’ve never read any of Sowells work you definitely should. He also has a ton of videos on YT.

We cant change this but I personally get a sense of frustration relief in understanding the “why”

There is a youtube channel that takes a lot of Sowell's writings and puts them in video format if you don't have the time to read. Most videos are only a few minutes long. I put some videos in a playlist when I'm doing chores around the house.

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member
We don't know for sure they are stealing until they actually take the stuff out of the store without paying. More context would help.
“Peaceful shopping “

Or perhaps its episode of that game shows where theyre on the clock.

I think its called “Thats a Riot!”

Tagline: “Where everday be Black Friday”

Gremlin

Woodpecker
Non-Christian

I recently watched a five minute video of Sowell talking about this very topic. While I agree with him on many issues, this is not one of them.

He blames redneck Southern culture for the state of the ghetto and that somehow Southern culture rubbed off on blacks and made them violent, lazy and irresponsible parents.

The problem for him is Southern culture at least through the Civil War (an illegal invasion by the North) was functional and thriving.

Southern culture was and still is today to some degree:

Honor/Shame
Armed and polite
Hierarchy based
Rural and economically based on goods, not services
Traditional
Family oriented
Loose government with no nanny figure at the head

Little to none of this can be said for blacks or any other third world minority population in the US today.

Papaya

Peacock
Gold Member
I recently watched a five minute video of Sowell talking about this very topic. While I agree with him on many issues, this is not one of them.

He blames redneck Southern culture for the state of the ghetto and that somehow Southern culture rubbed off on blacks and made them violent, lazy and irresponsible parents.

The problem for him is Southern culture at least through the Civil War (an illegal invasion by the North) was functional and thriving.

Honor/Shame
Armed and polite
Hierarchy based
Traditional
Family oriented

Little to none of this can be said for blacks or any other third world minority population in the US today.
Actually he attributes the source of the redneck culture to parts of north Britain

Quote:

”More is involved here than a mere parallel between blacks and Southern whites. What is involved is a common subculture that goes back for centuries, which has encompassed everything from ways of talking to attitudes toward education, violence, and sex- and which originated not intheSouth, but in those parts the British Isles from which Southerners came. That culture long ago died out where it originated in Britain, while surviving in the American South. Then it largely died out among both white and black Southerners while still surviving today inthe poorest and worst of the urban black ghettos.“...

Thats the 2nd paragraph of the book. He then spends the next 85 pages in exhaustive detailed historical analysis with mountains of references from numerous notable authors and historians.

Sowell doesn base his positions on anecdotes Or feelings. Its well researched facts. Read the book and then come back and explain where hes wrong. You need heavy intellectual artillery to debate Thomas Sowell

FrancisK

Pelican
Catholic
Gold Member

Honor/Shame
Armed and polite
Hierarchy based
Traditional
Family oriented

I admittedly know much at all about the subject matter but I have to dispute your view of southern culture at least in one aspect although it's a big one. What I have personally seen after spending a lot of time in Texas is that everyone sleeps with everyone with no shame like it's nothing, divorce means nothing multiple marriages is not uncommon and having children out of wedlock with multiple spouses is also not uncommon or even looked down upon. Being from the Midwest I was pretty shocked by how things operate down there. Things which would be considered taboo and shamed over here but were common down there, nobody batted an eye at these things. My experience wasn't with the lower class or dregs of society, it was common upper middle class working folk.

Edit: One more thing, all anybody wants to do is party and they will always find a party. Just a case of beer and a bottle and you'll have a dozen people at your house ready to party. First time I was introduced to "Sunday funday", I obviously knew of the term but thought it was joke didn't know it was something people actually practiced. I was mocked when I didn't want to go out and do random worthless partying seemingly every night of the week. I told them I like to party when there is an actual reason to do so, not just randomly, they would look at me like I had 3 heads. These are grown adults with children mind you...

MartyMcFly

Ostrich
Other Christian
“Peaceful shopping “

Or perhaps its episode of that game shows where theyre on the clock.

I think its called “Thats a Riot!”

Tagline: “Where everday be Black Friday”
They could be in a rush because they had a big party while the wives were away and now they have to clean up the house before the wives return. Notice the rush to grab laundry detergent. They were wearing masks because they are paranoid about the virus. My guess is they watch MSNBC or CNN.

rainy

Pelican
Other Christian
Whether how blacks currently act is tied to Southern culture or not, it's still a massive problem the majority of them see themselves as helpless victims where anything and everything is owed to them, they put no priority on family or education, they promote gang life and often travel in packs and are the most violent subculture in the states.

There will be a tipping point here at some point. As many young blacks will never be employed. Actually, are there stats on that? What is the employment rate of blacks year on year?

No matter where you live, lift weights, be in shape and don't appear an easy target. Lots of these roving packs of animals target old men and solo women for a reason.

Cynllo

Kingfisher
Other Christian
Whether how blacks currently act is tied to Southern culture or not, it's still a massive problem the majority of them see themselves as helpless victims where anything and everything is owed to them, they put no priority on family or education, they promote gang life and often travel in packs and are the most violent subculture in the states.

There will be a tipping point here at some point. As many young blacks will never be employed. Actually, are there stats on that? What is the employment rate of blacks year on year?

No matter where you live, lift weights, be in shape and don't appear an easy target. Lots of these roving packs of animals target old men and solo women for a reason.

According to this - https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/LNU04000006

They are at 6%, while white are at 3%.

For black youth its 18%, compared to about 8% for white.