Reports of The New Normal in Countries & Regions

Coja Petrus Uscan

Crow
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
This is a thread for short reports on what life is like under The New Normal that has been rolled out under the guise of COVID-19. Or is your country/region resisting becoming a Covidstan.

This thread is not for discussion. It is for reports that have otherwise been buried in other threads.

Threads that are relevant for discussion:

It's Time to Leave The West
Where to Escape Lockdown
Best Christian Country to Expat to By/Before 2024
International Travel During COVID
Countries Still Allowing Entry Without a Test
Best Countries to Sit This Out In
Report from Mexico
Report from Albania
Report from Romania

A template -

Country/Region Name

Time Period
:
Entry:
Vaccination:
Masks:
Notes:

Last edited:

Coja Petrus Uscan

Crow
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
United Arab Emirates (minus Abu Dhabi)

Time Period
: Q1-Q2 2021
Entry: negative PCR test within 72 hours, some nationalities have more requirements, generally open - see Emirates overview
Vaccination: not mandatory, but somehow something like 95% of people are vaxxed, seems to be coercion by employers; I wouldn't consider going here unless you plan to get an investment, business or freelance visa
Masks: required everywhere, except for eating and drinking venues; heat is generally 42-46 in the day and 35 at night in the summer; apparently there is a growing trend of people chinning
Notes: Abu Dhabi has had a vaxx passport for several months. I don't remember if there are any ways to live there without it, but the only places you can go without it are pharmacies and supermarkets. The benefit is that each of the six emirates have their own COVID policy. My reading was that the government just wants to make sure the economy is as open as possible. I would not expect any changes without heavy pressure put on them. Another bonus is a resident visa may grant extra routes of travel. For example Russia only allows entry by certain passport holders, but also allows UAE residents.

Last edited:

Coja Petrus Uscan

Crow
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
Russian Federation

Time Period
: summer+ 2021
Entry: negative PCR test within 72 hours; limited to certain passport holders and residence visa holders; see Aeroflot overview; on arrival there were a few tables with people sat at them - I just walked past them and the guy shouted at me - fairly sure I could have jogged out
Vaccination: apparently 30% of people are whacked up on the Sputnik-vaxx; a lot of that was employers forcing people to take it; but apparently they are no longer allowed to; though the government still recommends it and says their vaxx still works against delta
Masks: most mask wearers are in the metropoles of Moscow and St. Petersburg, but even then it is very low; and higher in more official or corporate settings; I don't know if there is any official rule, but there are some corporate shops with mask up signs, shopping centres may have mask enforcers, but these are broadly ignored; the only places I went to where everyone was bibbed were a government department and one of the Moscow airports; I left from a minor airport, in which most people were unmasked, including some of the people who live there; I believe some employees are under mask up rules, but don't follow them
Notes: In particular young people have no intention to take the vaxx. There is a general widespread distrust of vaccines and authorities. Life goes on as it was before. I can't see this changing. For longer stays you can get an education visa. The cheapest year-long course I found was $6,000.

kel

Ostrich
New York City (not state)

Time Period: Q3 2021
Entry: Same as entry for US at large, presumably
Vaccination: There's a city-produced app for proving vaccination status. It's checked often for restaurant reservations, less so for cafes where you order and then sit down but sometimes. Gyms will ask for your proof and put it in their system. Don't know about hair salons or places like tht.
Masks: No mandate currently I don't think, but you do see them around, some stores say they require them, municipal buildings probably do. The subway has about 50/50 mask wearing in my estimation (but I don't take it much so I could be wrong).
Notes: Has a reputation as a sh.tlib bughive, which is largely accurate, so adjust your expectations accordingly. I'd be amazed if there's not a lockdown and reimposition of mask mandates this winter, and when it happens there will be essentially 100% compliance.

Coja Petrus Uscan

Crow
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member
Armenia

Time Period
: autumn+ 2021
Entry: negative PCR test within 72 hours; other than that seems business as usual - government overview
Vaccination: Armenia has the lowest vaxx-rate for any middle-income or higher country at 4.5% - some of thoses doses likely went down the drain; there seems to be a deep vaccine hesitancy
Masks: At least half of the people at the airport were unbibbed, including staff, despite there being loudspeaker announcements to mask up; I have only seen one or two masks by weirdos outdoors; church - none; corporate and small shops - none, including staff; hotels - none. It is practically maskless, more so than minor cities in Russia.
Notes: none for now

Last edited: