Respectable "traditional" daily men's fashion

nagareboshi

Woodpecker
I'm not talking about going to a wedding or your Sunday best attire, but daily life for when you want to be a normal person while still being consistent with pro-modesty, pro-beauty beliefs.

Specifically I think that the normalization of blue jeans in non-work environments, forearm exposing T-shirts outside of athletics, and men's shorts is not appropriate. It's obviously a modern innovation and a result of gradual, but noticeable, decline in beauty standards. I would like to do my best to stop this slippery slope at the very least in my own daily life.

If you look at pictures from the 1900s, people are pretty much wearing suit-and-tie everywhere, but these days this would produce weird looks when hanging out with friends and would also be quite inconvenient. Also, I have no idea how any of those people survived the summer heat. How do we strike a balance?

If you are someone who is sympathetic to what I'm talking about, do you have suggestions? The more specific keywords you can use, the better. Thank you.

Zanardi

Woodpecker
Orthodox
If you look at pictures from the 1900s, people are pretty much wearing suit-and-tie everywhere,

Maybe this is because these pictures were of rich people, who could wear suit and tie all day long. Not so for mine workers.

Also, I think we're talking about two different eras. In 1900, if a woman was more guarded by her relatives than Joe Biden is today and if she showed her ankle, she would have been ostracized.

But yes, I get your point. You are thinking about how to dress more elegant, as a man.

Wasp

Pigeon
I completely agree with you on the continuing decline of dress standards, which is really a symptom of the general moral malaise for several decades. I dress formally and yes, you can survive the summer heat and actually much, much better than you think. The key? Back then clothes were made entirely out of wool and cotton, no fake fabrics or synthetics like Polyester.

I wear suits all the time even in the hot summer months and yes, "friends" or some people might give you weird looks or ask if you are hot, which gets annoying fast but I never cared personally what people think about me particularly if their alternative is actually much worse or in poor taste according to the standards I believe.

You can just wear cotton dress shirts, good quality pants and a blazer. There are summer blazers you know? Also, when it comes to ties that really depends for me. I don't usually wear them daily, but during the winter and for work purposes, definitely. Also for church. There are all kinds of ties and cravats out there. As far as the heat goes, that honestly as I said depends on the fabric. Yes, it's hot but I am no more hotter when its 95 degrees out than the people who wear loose clothes mostly Made in China haha and from polyester. I am proud that almost none of my clothes are from China since I only buy custom made. There are several options you can look into by the way. It's actually not that much more expensive than "modern" clothes. By the way, I don't mean to be rude but if your friends are giving you weird looks, then maybe they don't share your values positively? All the people I know are so used to me dressing formally and old fashioned that nobody bats an eyelid. The only time I ever get a comment is actually from people who admire it. Like for example the other day I had to get a few things at the grocery store and the cashier lady, an older white woman, said "I have to compliment you on your dress sir. It's really hard to find people who dress properly these days". I thanked her and I said I keep it old school and national.

I wish you well in this effort. It can be done! I am living testament to that.

I refuse to wear short sleeves to church regardless of heat. My 100% linen shirt is a life saver. Ramblersway.com has really lightweight wool, linen and cotton clothing all made in America.
I think people were just more resilient to physical discomfort back then. I recently read “the long winter” by Laura ingalls wilder time my 5 year old. There was a part where it was a sunny day between blizzards, and al the youths were out having fun and enjoying sleigh rides because after all, it was ONLY -20 degrees out. The modern man would have died.

Max Roscoe

Pelican
Orthodox Inquirer
I also lament the decline in dress standards, and have a nice wardrobe, but do often resort to shorts, sandals and cotton t shirts in the hot and humid summers, because physical comfort is more important to me than how strangers view me (However, it is a crime to subject others to a slovenly body).

I think there is some compromise that can be made. Look at how Mormons or the Amish dress. I am planning on attending a church event at one of these groups later this summer and a Mennonite friend pointed me to some online Amish "plain clothing" sellers. I would like to find a local source, but that is probably not practical, as there are few seamstresses or tailors left. I won't post links as I can't endorse any yet but I have always admired how the Amish dress.

DSC006192.jpg

I've never worn suspenders in my life. Wonder if I'm missing out.

Another idea is go to a clothing store that specializes in your area's culture. For example, I own a nice pair of boots and some western wear that I've bought in Texas and New Mexico. It is high quality, and has things like embroidery on the shirt lapels, pearl buttons, etc. If you are in cowboy country, get some cowboy style clothing (old style, not modern). Santa Fe has some good upscale niche clothing stores for western wear.

Finally, just find some people dressed well and ask them where they get their stuff. I used to do this with women of ill repute, who had an interesting collection of undergarments. More recently, I attended a traditional dance group and the women were always dressed well. It would have been a good idea to talk to the men about their fashion. If you see something you like, ask where it came from.

Maybe not traditional, but in terms of versatility and striking a balance,
Quarter zip and v-neck sweaters, different materials for different situations
Polo shirts still expose arms but are major upgrade from t-shirt
'sport shirts', like viyella shirts from jpress, long sleeve button-ups varying in material and patterns. Put under sweater and/or jacket in winter and you are comfortable in very cold environments
cotton oxford shirts, brooks brothers used to be nice but now all made in china so must be avoided. Gitman is expensive but excellent once you find your fit. I think you can find cheaper oxford shirts that work just as well, especially if you are in more outdoors environment and need more rugged construction.
If you find functional clothing that suits you at a decent price, make sure to buy more than one and you will not regret it
Depends on your climate and geography obviously

By the way, I don't think it has to be expensive to dress this way. Women are masters of this, dressing well by finding bargains at like TJ Maxx, Marshalls or other sales outlets.

If you look at pictures from the 1900s, people are pretty much wearing suit-and-tie everywhere,
yep this article explains it well:

Maybe this is because these pictures were of rich people,
nope - and remember baseball tickets were relatively cheaper then and more of a working class interest:
WHENEVER ANYONE under the age of 50 sees old newsreel film of Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak of 1941, he is almost certain to be brought up by the fact that nearly everyone in the male-dominated crowds--in New York, Boston, Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland--seems to be wearing a suit and a fedora or other serious adult hat. The people in those earlier baseball crowds, though watching a boyish game, nonetheless had a radically different conception of themselves than most Americans do now.

- all men had their "Sunday best' for church. Even working men wouldn't have thought of not putting on a jacket and tie to go dinner at a restaurant or if invited to another house for dinner.

Back then clothes were made entirely out of wool and cotton,
Yes! and 'smart wool' has made a comeback - any hiker /camper knows wool underwear (cooler than you think) stays fresher longer as well.
On the other hand the stench created from synthetic wear is incredible.

I own a nice pair of boots and some western wear
Slight side note - cowboys never wore jeans and no one wore healed boots but cowboys when riding horses, if they were hunting or tracking they would remove boots which are terrible for walking - heals are good for riding but terrible for your knees.

slightly off topic but I also wish traditional country dancing would come back (though this version is idealized) look at the young women here - so feminine, appealing yet traditional:

sigh..... but, getting back on topic :)

If you are someone who is sympathetic to what I'm talking about, do you have suggestions?
For men: sharp, simple:
For inspiration look to movies from the 50s but when they aren't wearing suits - safari /outdoor) movies (but please no leapard band hat :) )
Wool trousers with a higher rise, tailered for for quality over quantity
A few nicely tailored jackets - get some summer ones like seersucker or poplin - I personally don't like linen but that's an option too.
Quality tailored oxfords - quality is really down in places like Brooks Brothers because they are just a brand. Mercer and Sons - family run makes great shirts, Jpress still does. Non-iron 100% cotton is acceptable but just doesn't last as long - but easier for a single guy.
footwear - sneakers are not only actually BAD for your feet and knees (see the book born to run) but they look trashy - get zero drop wide toe box non cushioned shoes.

Last edited:
I would also like to see the world stop having to dress with the way globalalist corporations want you to dress. It's hilarious to see that jeans - a hot, uncomfortable fabric - is seen as a symbol of 'women's liberation' in India, while traditional wear is far more feminine, elegant and practical.

Even with suits and ties - why does everyone have to dress like Anglo-Americans - why can't Spaniards start dressing like Spaniards again. Germans like germans, etc.

Last edited:

nagareboshi

Woodpecker
Even with suits and ties - why does everyone have to dress like Anglo-Americans - why can't Spaniards start dressing like Spaniards again. Germans like germans, etc.

Good point, pretty much the only non-Anglo "traditional" garment that is worn by men today is Arab garb. I always thought these guys stand out so much in international conferences, but it would be nice for other countries to show something unique.

14,068 Saudi Man Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free Images

nagareboshi

Woodpecker
A few nicely tailored jackets - get some summer ones like seersucker or poplin - I personally don't like linen but that's an option too.
Quality tailored oxfords - quality is really down in places like Brooks Brothers because they are just a brand. Mercer and Sons - family run makes great shirts, Jpress still does. Non-iron 100% cotton is acceptable but just doesn't last as long - but easier for a single guy.

Thanks for your comment. When you say that you get your clothes tailored, what is the process like? I've pretty much only bought ready-made clothing my entire life. Do you just show up, get measured, and hand the clothes over to a dedicated tailoring shop?

nagareboshi

Woodpecker
I completely agree with you on the continuing decline of dress standards, which is really a symptom of the general moral malaise for several decades. I dress formally and yes, you can survive the summer heat and actually much, much better than you think. The key? Back then clothes were made entirely out of wool and cotton, no fake fabrics or synthetics like Polyester.

That sounds pretty believable, how hot does it really get though? Do you have to do tricks to actually survive (seek out shade, drink cold drinks, unbutton top button, etc)?

Also, when buying custom-made clothes, how did you find your first few people that you trusted to make the clothes for you?

Thanks for your comment. When you say that you get your clothes tailored, what is the process like? I've pretty much only bought ready-made clothing my entire life. Do you just show up, get measured, and hand the clothes over to a dedicated tailoring shop?
If you buy a jacket off the rack for example, a traditional clothier like Brooks Brothers and Jpress would alter it for you.
Same with trousers.
Sadly Brook's quality isn't what it used to be.

Wasp

Pigeon
That sounds pretty believable, how hot does it really get though? Do you have to do tricks to actually survive (seek out shade, drink cold drinks, unbutton top button, etc)?

Also, when buying custom-made clothes, how did you find your first few people that you trusted to make the clothes for you?

Honestly, not hotter than what you think and I am willing to make an affirmation that I actually feel cooler than people wearing shorts and a tshirt (depending on the fabric, obviously, but if you look at most shorts today or what people buy, it tends definitely not to be cotton or quality fabric). That is one of the reasons why so many people feel so hot and can't even imagine wearing formal clothes outside in the summer. I live in NYC and it can get humid and hot, especially if there is a heat wave.

Tricks? Exactly what our ancestors did: plenty of cold/chilled healthy soups, barley water if its too hot, lighter meals (I eat seasonal according to the calendar), and of course there is also the fact that most Americans are overweight, so fat people feel much hotter. I am thin and fit. Other advice: don't move around so much, sit still and in my case, I am lucky to live in a really old school house that has amazing air circulation even in the summer months. In fact, I only use the AC when it is excruciatingly hot outside which is not that common in NY except if the temps don't drop below 75 or 80s at night. On most days I don't even use a fan. Right now as I am typing this I have all my windows open, the breeze from the garden is coming in and I am wearing a button dress shirt (100% cotton) and dress pants (also cotton), shoes and socks. I do unbutton the top button, for sure.

Another thing I do which they used to do in the Victorian era: wear a cold towel around your neck or wrists. Shade is also a good idea. I am lucky that my house is surrounded by trees and a garden as well as a very very conservative church quite near. They actually do not allow men inside without a tie and women have to wear a dress.

I am always annoyed and simultaneously amazed that people who don't know me will constantly ask me "aren't you hot?" and yet compared to me, they are sweating buckets and I am just a bit sweaty.

If it gets really nasty with the sweat though, shower or wash frequently, etc.

As others have said in this thread, there are plenty of places you can get your own clothes and made by decent people instead of wage slaves for globohomo corps. The Amish/Mennonite clothes are also a great option. I have bought things from them similar to what the man is wearing in the picture above.

Oh! One more thing: I recommend during the hottest days, eat a good breakfast early!! and don't have dinner until it is much cooler. Makes a world of difference with body temps.

I think a big part of the problem is that people really do not make an effort anymore. I would say consistency is key for making yourself look more smart. Never wear a t-shirt, choose a shirt. Do not wear jeans, but chinos/suit bottoms.
You cannot lament today‘s standards and complain about discomfort. Being smart and elegant will make you feel better, you will be more confident and you will command more attention. Well worth the minor discomfort, if you even have any. I have really comfortable suits, too.

Augustus_Principe

Woodpecker
As FiatVoluntasTua said, if you want to dress more respectable, in a nutshell, opt for Chinos/Slacks instead of Jeans(though I would argue there is a way to wear dark jeans in a respectable way) and a long sleeve button up for top. Wear respectable shoes as well (No sneakers).

The channel below has been my go-to for years. It's been around for a very long time. To be honest, I actually havent viewed his videos in years since I learned all I needed to years back, but it seems he's still going strong:

Just search "wardrobe" and any one of his videos should help you. You may also Search "Summer", "winter" etc and it will point you to videos he has made in regards to what to wear throughout the season. Here is a sample video:

All of my shirts are graphic tees that I bought when I was like thirteen. They still fit me because they were kinda big on me when I first got them and I've only really grown vertically. Surprisingly they are still in good condition with no holes in them. The only reason I haven't bought anything new is because I am too cheap. The graphics aren't anything stupid like Rick and Morty or anything like that; they are standard company logos such as Nike and Adidas. On the one hand, wearing Nike and Adidas clothing comings off as consumerist, especially given what the companies have done in the past, and I feel like I am wearing a sandwich board. But on the other hand, I do feel bad about the idea of buying new clothing when the ones I have are still in good condition, because that is also consumerist behavior. Will definitely upgrade my wardrobe when I hit the point of having to be taken more seriously.