Church ROCOR

Sol Invictus

Sparrow
Orthodox Catechumen
Attacking? Wow, that's pretty strong language. And accusing me of being a sneaky guy with two different profiles? um...ok.
I simply made a comment on the ubiquity of globohomo, with the words of a church leader to back it up. I didn't put those words in his mouth. I've seen people say all kinds of unsavory things about other Orthodox denominations, and about Catholics and Protestants, with no one jumping on their case like this. Not a good impression, tbh. If you can't freely critique ideas what's the point of being on a forum?
You were attacking ROCOR in a rather snarky way based on a statement that had already been explained earlier, all while having the Orthodox tag when you were obviously not Orthodox. Regardless of intentions, you have to admit that looked rather sneaky. Stop trying to make yourself out to be a victim here.

Slim Whitman

Sparrow
You were attacking ROCOR in a rather snarky way based on a statement that had already been explained earlier, all while having the Orthodox tag when you were obviously not Orthodox. Regardless of intentions, you have to admit that looked rather sneaky. Stop trying to make yourself out to be a victim here.
Yeah my post came off as a little snarky, and I jumped the gun on posting the image without verifying the details. That's my cynical tendency. I do apologize for that. But at the same time, the attitude I've gotten from some members feels absolutely nothing like the loving spirit of Christ to me. Condescending, defensive, and overly sensitive if you ask me, which doesn't go far in making me feel like "I've arrived" with my spiritual family. I don't want to walk on eggshells or struggle to not offend people who have just become converts themselves in the past couple years. We're all on a journey here, right?

Sol Invictus

Sparrow
Orthodox Catechumen
Yeah my post came off as a little snarky, and I jumped the gun on posting the image without verifying the details. That's my cynical tendency. I do apologize for that. But at the same time, the attitude I've gotten from some members feels absolutely nothing like the loving spirit of Christ to me. Condescending, defensive, and overly sensitive if you ask me, which doesn't go far in making me feel like "I've arrived" with my spiritual family. I don't want to walk on eggshells or struggle to not offend people who have just become converts themselves in the past couple years. We're all on a journey here, right?
Perhaps there could have been a little more grace in some of our replies, but what else would you really expect considering what was written above? If you're really so concerned about having to walk on eggshells, just wait until you step out of line with the pastor or some of the members of that Baptist church you're attending. I guarantee you that the fangs that they're hiding behind their warm smiles are much sharper than anything you'd experience on this forum. We're at least upfront with everything here. Most Baptists I've known (and believe me, I've known a lot) simply can't say the same.

DanielH

Ostrich
Orthodox
*Walks into an Orthodox Church* "Hey guys why aren't you based, why did this guy not even in ROCOR require the vaccines (even though that was not true)? I guess you're part of globohomo as well. Just want to be clear no bishops are infallible"

*Congregation glares*

"Whoa guys, where's that Christian fellowship I was told about?"

And I wasn't accusing you of having two profiles, I was wondering what account on the internet, whether on Telegram, or Discord, or Twitter, etc. shared that screencap so that two Protestants on this forum would see it almost simultaneously. @Slim Whitman

orthoaussie2121

Sparrow
Orthodox

Hermetic Seal

Pelican
Orthodox
Gold Member
That's quite sad. I really liked some of his writings. But I'm curious what it was that he wrote to provoke this - I can't find it anywhere.

orthoaussie2121

Sparrow
Orthodox
That's quite sad. I really liked some of his writings. But I'm curious what it was that he wrote to provoke this - I can't find it anywhere.
I can't find the statements either.
It is very sad. Fr Andrew's writings played a big part in my conversion to the Orthodox Church many years ago. However, I have been troubled by his blog writings for the last two years or so. He has had issues with +Bp Irenei from the get go.

orthoaussie2121

Sparrow
Orthodox
I can't find the statements either.
It is very sad. Fr Andrew's writings played a big part in my conversion to the Orthodox Church many years ago. However, I have been troubled by his blog writings for the last two years or so. He has had issues with +Bp Irenei from the get go.
And before anyone asks, yes he went to Oxford. ;)

Serge Korol

Pigeon
Orthodox
Your link has expired, here is an updated one.

soli.deo.gloria

Woodpecker
Orthodox Inquirer
Gold Member

Mulato_Man_Gabe

Pigeon
Orthodox
I imagine the story will come out soon. In any case, it appears to have nothing to do with substantial matters (i.e. dogma), otherwise Fr. Andrew would likely have posted about it due to his boldness.

I have heard it said that schismatics are worse than heretics, because if they have all the proper beliefs of the orthodox church, there is even less justification to seperate from it.

What an unfortunate turn of events. I hope he repents.

orthoaussie2121

Sparrow
Orthodox
I imagine the story will come out soon. In any case, it appears to have nothing to do with substantial matters (i.e. dogma), otherwise Fr. Andrew would likely have posted about it due to his boldness.
Given the matter is "sub judice" (before the courts), it may be wise to refrain from further comments on this matter outside official announcements.

Mulato_Man_Gabe

Pigeon
Orthodox
I too am in the "100 miles round trip to go to my English-speaking ROCOR church" club. And I don't own a car anymore. The priest is nice enough to let me sleep in the church between vigil and liturgy to make my commute easier.

You can't put a price on a good church and parish community. I highly recommend going through the trouble of long travel in order to attend a church that facilitates spiritual growth. It is the greatest time and money investment you can make: the investment into your eternal salvation.

God sees your sacrifice in a long commute and will reward you accordingly. Take advantage of this opportunity while you still can, because I don't think we will be able to worship freely for too much longer as the covid nonsense starts to ramp up. Lock downs 2.0 are on their way here.

Last edited: