Roman Catholic Theology and Apologetics

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
I am starting this thread because I am genuinely interested in studying Theology on my own spare time. I have recently returned from Eastern Orthodoxy to the Roman Catholic Church. As I was Catholic prior to my conversion. It is my intention to turn this thread into a wealth of information on all things Catholic Theology and Apologetics.

Drop book recommendations, articles, reading lists, videos and everything useful to the contribution of making this thread valuable to Catholics who are intellectually inclined and are interested in such things.

Please note It is not my intention to provoke debate between Orthodox and Catholic in this thread. I have nothing but the utmost respect for my Orthodox brothers and sisters and their doctrine, dogma and practices and wish them the best. The last thing I want this thread to turn into is a warzone between the two or a Orthodox theology and apologetic thread.
Good to hear that you came back to the TLM and the Catholic Church. I also explored Orthodox, and while I have immense respect for their Faith, the SSPX is the best place for me right now. I will continue to pray for the soul of the Catholic Church, and the reunification of the Bride of Christ.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Good to hear that you came back to the TLM and the Catholic Church. I also explored Orthodox, and while I have immense respect for their Faith, the SSPX is the best place for me right now. I will continue to pray for the soul of the Catholic Church, and the reunification of the Bride of Christ.
What confirms that the SSPX is the right place for you? I saw you flirting with the Orthodox threads and hoped you would stay here.

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
What confirms that the SSPX is the right place for you? I saw you flirting with the Orthodox threads and hoped you would stay here.
Where I am, the conservative Orthodox churches cater heavily to their ethnic group and don't have the capacity or the need for converts outside of their ethnic group. The Orthodox churches that do have a capacity and need for converts are very liberal and have very strict mask policies. Another large consideration is my wife, who isn't Christian and needs support from the Church in her conversion. The SSPX has a priest specifically for administrative and catechumen work, who has been very accommodating to us. The SSPX is also the only church I've attended where the clergy has explicitly denounced the COOFID polices and the government takeover of the churches.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Where I am, the conservative Orthodox churches cater heavily to their ethnic group and don't have the capacity or the need for converts outside of their ethnic group. The Orthodox churches that do have a capacity and need for converts are very liberal and have very strict mask policies. Another large consideration is my wife, who isn't Christian and needs support from the Church in her conversion. The SSPX has a priest specifically for administrative and catechumen work, who has been very accommodating to us. The SSPX is also the only church I've attended where the clergy has explicitly denounced the COOFID polices and the government takeover of the churches.
Great to hear! Sounds like a fantastic situation. See you in the TLM thread ;)

Fenaroli

Robin
Definitely a good Catechism, because it gives you all the answers, and more importantly the questions on the Catholic Faith.

My priest gave me the "A Complete Catechism of the Catholic Religion" by Rev. Joseph Deharbe, translated by John Fander, you could probably find a PDF online for free quite easily.

Roman Catechism from the Council of Trent, although that was really for training priests, but it's very comprehensive.

"Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma" by Ludwig Ott.

redbeard

Hummingbird
Gold Member
Roman Catechism from the Council of Trent, although that was really for training priests, but it's very comprehensive.
This is what Fr. Ripperger recommends, he mentioned on the show with Taylor Marshall that he used to recommend this for catechumens when they were coming into the church as well.

Domino

Pigeon
Definitely a good Catechism, because it gives you all the answers, and more importantly the questions on the Catholic Faith.

My priest gave me the "A Complete Catechism of the Catholic Religion" by Rev. Joseph Deharbe, translated by John Fander, you could probably find a PDF online for free quite easily.

"Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma" by Ludwig Ott.
Catechisms:

My Catholic Faith -A Catechism in Pictures by Bishop Morrow.

The Catechism Explained -Rev. Francis Spirago, Edited by Rev. Richard F. Clarke, S.J

@Fenaroli, Ott's Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma is great IF you can find a used, older edition; I wish I still had my old TAN edition! Sadly, the Baronius Press owns the copyright and the edition they publish has been "updated" to include Vatican II.

Fenaroli

Robin
@Fenaroli, Ott's Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma is great IF you can find a used, older edition; I wish I still had my old TAN edition! Sadly, the Baronius Press owns the copyright and the edition they publish has been "updated" to include Vatican II.
Ah, good to warn people about this, thanks!

Augustus_Principe

Woodpecker
Great to see another member who attends an SSPX church. Agreed on the c0fid policies and little to 0 [email protected] adherence. Also, the priest are all based and traditional.

Since this is a Theology/Apologetics thread, I'll keep it on topic and post this video series the SSPX has done in recent months. I have found it valuable for its info packed, yet succinct format.

While the overall topic is the Crisis in The Church, it goes over Church History, Philosophy and Theology in easy to follow video presentations. Highly recommended

In Regards to the quote below (saw this after I posted this) I would say that in dealing with the vast majority of atheist, I come to find that they live a lifestyle completely contradictory to God's commandments and Church teaching. You will never reach an atheist while Sin is blinding their intellect even if you throw the kitchen sink of Theology/Philosophy at them. The only way to convert them is for them to see first the error of their sinful (which are almost always having to do with Lust/passion) ways. If you can make an atheist see that fulfilling his lust (however he is doing so) is wrong not only biologically (which they love/worship) but also spiritually, you're getting them on the right path. Them seeing you practice Catholic virtue also helps a Ton. When they see that you have complete custody of your eyes for example and arent looking at some "HB9" walking by you and lusting after her, this will have a profound impact on them. it will make them realize that they are beast. This has been my experience at least.
@NoMoreTO

Good video. I actually was speaking with an old friend who was saying that he is an atheist. Which I wasn't fully aware of or it's more of a recent happening. I was trying to explain the unmoved mover.

When someone describes the Bible as "fairy tales" or God as "The Big Spagetti Monster", I think that they are having trouble with squaring the logic. I always try to talk to the person about belief in God first, before entering into any type of theological arguments they aren't ready for.

Once God is real, and man is convinced of this, then the next question is "Who is he?". The more certain a person is that God exists and throws off these ideas, the more likely they will come back to God. I suppose this would be the philosophical path to God, or the Logical path, rather than the moment when someone is in trouble and gets on their knees and just has to and wants to believe.

For myself, I had to go back to an "Intelligent Design" outlook, at which point the internal question I asked myself was, "well if I am designed, how am I designed and for what purpose"

Last edited:

MajorStyles

Pelican
My own little contribution:

The Summa Theologica:

I own a physical copy of it, while it is massive, the "format" for it is really simple and it repeats itself... For about 8 volumes of hardbound books, with its simple Latin and English translation.

For those in need of a challenge:

I have been reading this lately and it's amazing. Aquinas was every bit the philosopher as Plato, Kant, etc. I can only imagine that the fact he is not put into that level is because of his ties to Catholocism. E. Michael Jones discusses that a bit in Logos Rising as well: how Thomism was replaced at Notre Dame for Marx, Hegel, etc.

It's also funny that the term/religion of Christian Science was created since that is, essentially, what Aquinas did - merge theology with science. I dont know for sure, but I would assume that the term was specifically chosen as a way of obfuscating the work of Aquinas.

emuelle1

Woodpecker
Gold Member
@MajorStyles , what did you mean in your reference to "Christian Science"? If you mean the church Mary Baker Eddy founded based on her plagiarism of Phineas P Quimbey and others, I grew up in that cult. It has nothing to do with either Christianity or science. It uses the King James Bible, but filters everything through MBE's book "Science and Health With Key To The Scriptures".

This has been a good thread. I'm not Catholic, but have been exploring Catholicism for about a year and a half. I woke up in the summer of 2019 with a strong desire to reinvestigate the Catholic Church from the perspective of ACTUAL Catholics. I've been reading and listening ever since, and this thread has been very helpful to me. I discovered much of what "Protestants" claim about Catholics is based on lies and misunderstandings that have been perpetuated for hundreds of years.

cates2000

Chicken
I am starting this thread because I am genuinely interested in studying Theology on my own spare time. I have recently returned from Eastern Orthodoxy to the Roman Catholic Church. As I was Catholic prior to my conversion. It is my intention to turn this thread into a wealth of information on all things Catholic Theology and Apologetics.

Drop book recommendations, articles, reading lists, videos and everything useful to the contribution of making this thread valuable to Catholics who are intellectually inclined and are interested in such things.

Please note It is not my intention to provoke debate between Orthodox and Catholic in this thread. I have nothing but the utmost respect for my Orthodox brothers and sisters and their doctrine, dogma and practices and wish them the best. The last thing I want this thread to turn into is a warzone between the two or a Orthodox theology and apologetic thread.
“Theology and Sanity” by Frank Sheed is a must-read. You could go with “Theology for Beginners” by the same author for a shorter read.

Pioneer

Sparrow
Defense of the Catholic Church
By Francis X. Doyle, S.J.

Christian Apologetics — A Defense of the Catholic Faith
By Rev. W. Devivier, S.J.

Moral Theology — A Complete Course
By John A. McHugh, O.P. and Charles J. Callan, O.P.

Faith of Our Fathers
By Most Rev. James Gibbons, D.D., Archbishop of Baltimore.

Glories of the Catholic Church — The Catholic Christian Instructed in Defence of His Faith
A complete Exposition of the Catholic Doctrine, Together with a Full Explanation of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, Including The Triumpths of the Church in Every Age; The Spread of the Gospel Throughout the World; The Church in America; The Duty and Value of Patriotism and The Encyclical Letters on the Study of the Holy Scriptures to The Defenders of Our Faith and the Rulers of the World by His Holiness Pope Leo XIII.

Explanation of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass
By Rev. M.V. Cochem

The Wife Desired
By Fr. Leo J. Kinsella

The Man for Her
By Fr. Leo J. Kinsella

When, Whom, & How to Marry
By the Rev. C. McNeiry, C.Ss.R

Questions I’m Asked About Marriage
By Daniel A. Lord, S.J.

The Way of Salvation and Perfection
The Complete Ascetical Works
of Saint Alphonsus de Ligouri,
Volume II.

The Anti-Modernist Reader, Volume 1: The Papacy
Studies on the New Religion of Vatican II
Edited by Rev. Anthony Cekada

The Liberal Illusion
by Louis Veuillot

Iota Unum: A Study of the Changes in the Catholic Church in the 20th Century
By Professor Romano Amerio

Work of Human Hands: A Theological Critique of the Mass of Paul VI
By Rev. Anthony Cekada

My Catholic Faith — A Catechism in Pictures
By Bishop Morrow

The Catechism Explained
Original of Rev. Francis Spirago, Edited by Rev. Richard F. Clarke, S.J

I saved a playlist which goes into many Catholic dogmas and explains them from some unorthodox perspectives. Some videos opened my eyes and deepened my faith; they made my decision easier to become Catholic when I was on the verge between Catholicism and Orthodoxy.

Just the title of this video got my brain going. This is an interesting take. Indeed if you think about it Islam clearly has a strong Biblical foundation, although interpreted differently then Christian denominations on different respects. But we see Moses = Musa, Gabriel = Djibriel, Jesus = Misa, Isaac = Ishaq, Jacob = Jacub etc etc. It is very likely to assume that Muslims took ''what was already there'' and spinned it to something that would fit them more than Christian teachings, possibly based on the regional power structure/influence at that time or so. There would be an argument then that Islam is a spinoff of Christianity as true teachings. I'd never thought about it that way so thanks for sharing.

FactusIRX

Kingfisher
I saved a playlist which goes into many Catholic dogmas and explains them from some unorthodox perspectives. Some videos opened my eyes and deepened my faith; they made my decision easier to become Catholic when I was on the verge between Catholicism and Orthodoxy.

Great playlist. Thank you for sharing!