Roosh's Twitter: Should tomatoes be stored in the refrigerator?

Should tomatoes be stored in the refrigerator?

• Total voters
I don't have a twitter so I'll repost here.

Personally I have experimented and decided: definitely not if you can at all help it. I have not had an issue with tomatoes going bad. It has only regularly happened with fruit like oranges/mandarins. If they do go bad of course you should refrigerate it.

But tomatoes lose so much flavor in the fridge. I have experimented with it both ways and believe the difference is stark and obvious. I don't believe any other food I have tried has a difference anywhere near as substantial(although please tell me if there is!), to the point I will put all perishables in the fridge if I have space. But tomatoes are definitely a thing you want to keep on the counter if at all possible. It's a difference between a vibrant juicy warm fuzzy flavor vs a generic chilled flat one. To drive this point I (otherwise) don't have a bias toward hot/cold food generally and don't reheat my leftovers because of this.

I also believe vine or cherry tomatoes taste better, I wonder if the vine stops it going bad.

Thomas More

Hummingbird
They keep fine on the counter, but I have put them in the fridge when I thought I needed them to last longer.

Can't commit to any of the poll answers.:rolleyes:

Roosh

Cardinal
Orthodox
I have always stored them in the fridge for some reason but I learned today that is wrong if you want to use them soon.

I have always stored them in the fridge for some reason but I learned today that is wrong if you want to use them soon.
I used to do this too. You should try leaving them out and see if you can taste the difference.

Honestly if you can't then I imagine it's not worth it but I'm betting you can.

Muscovite

Robin
Orthodox
I would have thought they should be kept in the fridge, but my wife always keeps them out. I don't eat tomatoes so I've never really thought about it.

Only a savage or a prole puts their tomatoes in the fridge.

Or to use slang from this end of the net, "(((they))) want you to refrigerate your tomatoes."

Fresh tomatoes are nice, but crappy soil or hothouse ones are inferior, and you can put them into the fridge with less shame (after you've cut them, and not used them all). Even though they originated in North America, they seem to be most delicious in Italy or the South of France. Likely to do with the ideal soil for growing them.

I've traveled to Europe with a few people and said "you're about to taste a real tomato" and they replied that I was pretentious. Then, within a few days of landing, they had the revelation that in Canada we have simply been eating cardboard in the shape/color of tomatoes.

A fresh Italian tomato, sliced, with a few pinches of Maldon salt on it, is like a sunset or the fine contours of a ripe female body with hip-to-waist ratio of 0.7. Mamma mia!

Grow Bag

Kingfisher
The main growers of tomatoes in the shops here are Dutch and Spanish. Like everything in clown world they appear to be tomatoes, but on eating they are flavourless excuses for tomatoes. You can say the same for most vegetables in the supermarkets. I grow my own carrots and they taste and smell like carrots should, the ones I buy have no taste at all. Agriculture, like culture, is all about appearances, not substance.

We keep ones like beef steak in a hanging basket with other items but smaller varietals go in the fridge, usually because they're in some sort of package. Also you wouldn't put that package of grape tomatoes out on your counter would you?

That's just weird.